• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taldorblackfire
    started a topic Spell Calculator

Spell Calculator

Hey everyone,

Here is something cool I thought everyone might like to try, it is a spell calculator that essentially tells you the Potency, Duration, Scale, Free Reaches, Die Pool, Paradox Die Pool, and allows you to add certain functions to spells automatically.

Here is a screenshot of the calculator in action:

I always find opening and finding the section of the book and reading all the different factors a headache and of course all the manual math that comes with figuring paradox. Obviously it doesn't cover special factors, but it does give you an idea if the default spell risks paradox. I have considered making a paradox tracker, but the math is so simple regarding this I haven't really started on that.

You can download the program from the following link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrgovs6ykd...lator.zip?dl=0

Also, for those that may receive an error stating something about (2,2) XML, simply delete your old "config_file.txt". I changed the way the program saves and loads this file so creating a new file will fix this.
    Last edited by Taldorblackfire; 06-22-2016, 01:05 PM.

• Taldorblackfire
    replied
    Everyone,

Here is the new spell calculator that will allow Rote Quality and 9/8 again quality: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrgovs6ykd...lator.zip?dl=0

Thanks Inodiv for pointing this out.

Just an FYI on how this rolling works now is the following:

1. It rolls the initial die pool determined by the Arcana level, Gnosis of the caster, and other bonuses
    2. It applies Rote Quality, so it re-rolls all failures
    3. It applies the 9/8 again Quality to all combined rolls
    Last edited by Taldorblackfire; 01-21-2017, 11:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• lnodiv
    replied
    Originally posted by Hardwire99 View Post
    I was under the impression that they were mutually exclusive, what makes you think that they are not. In the book it just mentions re-rolling the dice that failed. There is nothing that I see that would state that the Rote Quality can be used with the 8/9-Again qualities. If I missed that then please point it out. The Rote Quality is bad enough without adding the 8/9-Again quality also.
    Rote doesn't automatically grant 8/9 again, but if you have abilities that grant both qualities there's absolutely no support in the text for not allowing both to apply.

Leave a comment:

• Taldorblackfire
    replied
    Inodiv is right you can stack 9/8 again on rote quality. I will fix that now and let you know when it is updated.

Leave a comment:

• Hardwire99
    replied
    I was under the impression that they were mutually exclusive, what makes you think that they are not. In the book it just mentions re-rolling the dice that failed. There is nothing that I see that would state that the Rote Quality can be used with the 8/9-Again qualities. If I missed that then please point it out. The Rote Quality is bad enough without adding the 8/9-Again quality also.

Leave a comment:

• lnodiv
    replied
    Originally posted by Taldorblackfire View Post
    Hey Inodiv,

Glad this is still working great! What bug do you mean?
    In the calculator, you can't have 9-again and rote casting both active at the same time. It may also effect 8-again.

They aren't supposed to be mutually exclusive.

Leave a comment:

• Hardwire99
    replied
    Originally posted by Taldorblackfire View Post
    Hey Hardwire99,

No, it does not currently calculate casting time, just the spell casting factors at the moment. Try this link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4697fb2oy...UyfCVGgfa?dl=0

That one should work
    Thanks got it now. It is a very nice program and the 9-Again, 8-Again and Rote Quality all seem to be working for me.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    This is great, I was thinking about something like this during our last session, thanks so much for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• Taldorblackfire
    replied
    Hey Hardwire99,

No, it does not currently calculate casting time, just the spell casting factors at the moment. Try this link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4697fb2oy...UyfCVGgfa?dl=0

That one should work

Leave a comment:

• Hardwire99
    replied
    I can't download the calculator at this time, but I will try later. I don't see where it calculates the Casting time. dose it do that. I.E. every Yantra beyond the first ads another turn to the casting time, casting from a grimiore doubles the ritual time, you can get 1 extra dice per casting interval during ritual casting. ETC.

Leave a comment:

• Taldorblackfire
    replied
    Hey Inodiv,

Glad this is still working great! What bug do you mean?

Leave a comment:

• lnodiv
    replied
    Swinging back by to say that this is definitely awesome. Been using it to double check some spell numbers when things got complex in my current game.
    95% usable in its current state, the only real bug is that 9-again/Rote issue.

Leave a comment:

• Taldorblackfire
    replied
    Hey griffalo,

It does work if Advanced Duration is applied, which I believe is the intent. I don't believe there is a way to make Indefinite without having Advanced Duration.

WHW,

I will look into creating a combined spell, though I feel that may in itself be a project of its own since there are a few options you can do with Combined Spells such as having different spell factors for each spell.

Zan

Have you tried using Mono to run the program?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• griffalo
    replied
    Just noticed that the Indefinite button doesn't work.

Leave a comment:

• Zan
    replied
    This IS awesome! But in the spirit of wanting someone else to do all the work for me, I have a Mac, and I'm not about to use BootCamp for this. Is there any chance you can write a version that's OSX- or iOS-friendly? Or host it on a site so everyone can use it in a browser?

I too thought the masses needed an app for this as soon as I saw the spell process, but I'm a QA tester, not a developer. I can only break.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X