[2E] Abyssal Aspects and Numina

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] Abyssal Aspects and Numina

Like in name, topic for fan made Abyssal Aspects and Numina for the beings from the Void – or those that corrupt normal ephemerals, like ghosts, goetia or spirits. Note that some reference to Influence: Paradox – so, yes, Abyssal beings can create Paradox Reach around them, that’s why Scelesti summons them. For example entity use Influence Paradox 4 to FORCE Paradox upon a particular spell in it’s vicinity.

List of Aspects/Numina:

Affront to Possibility by amechra
    The ephemeral being is simply sickeningly impossible, formed of elements that cannot and must not be. Sleepers that suffer Breaking Points due to its presence suffer a -2 penalty on their roll; if they fail, the abyssal being may reflexively spend two Essence to downgrade that Failure to a Dramatic Failure. If it does so, the Sleeper gains the benefits and drawbacks of the Liar merit without paying for its cost - this form of sick repayment supplements, rather than replaces, the effects of a Dramatic Failure.

Copies by me
    The entity is ‘one in many’. She can make copies of herself, working like effects of Manifold Presence spell, giving many possible instances of it. They all are connected to proper entity, but not so hurting. Each copy can be destroyed with full Bashing damage of Corpus from main entity and takes one Willpower from entity pool. Each copy is treated as entity itself for using it’s powers or targeting it’s targets.

Echoing Intent by Teatime
    Under the right circumstances, like in the event of its destruction, the Entity may instead spend a dot of Resistance for the following effect to occur: All present witnesses become unable to perceive or directly affect it. All mundane rolls fail outright and it becomes immune to all of their Spells. The entity likewise becomes unable to affect them or even alter the environment in their presence, with the exception of communicating with others. It also can't acknowledge their existence outside of their presence, but otherwise has full access to its powers. Each use of this effect is permanent. On the bright side, you can trap the entity in a room by locking the door and guarding it. Of course, you would need someone else to confirm if you succeeded.​

Flattening by me
    Being can make 3D being into 2D beings image, that is also living on surface. He need to win Grapple Contest and spend 1 Willpower on each target.

Flesh of Abyss by me
    Entity is build from the stuff of Abyss itself. That means, Supernal Magic have really harder time to interact with it. Each spell cast on entity is treated as one Spell Factor lower – that means that attack spells makes one damage lower, Scale is treated as needing to get Size 6 to work on it and Duration is shorter than caster imagined when making Imago.

Freighting by me
    Anyone seeing Entity need to roll Resolve + Composure each turn, or they will run for their lives. Mind Shield spell makes it Clash of Wills on Gnosis + Mind of caster. On losing, victim makes run as fast as it can from Entity.

Horrid Compleation by amechra
    To beings of the Abyss, Claiming sleepers is not the body-theft of other ephemeral beings - it's a return home. If the ephemeral being Claims a sleeper, it adds half of its Rank, rounded up, to all of its attributes before splitting them between the sleeper's attributes. In addition, the Claimed sleeper reacts to Dissonance as if they were an abyssal entity, and adds the Abyssal entity's Rank to their Integrity for the purposes of generating Dissonance.

Madness by me
    Anyone seeing Entity need to roll Composure + Supernatural Advantage each turn, or they will go mad. Mind Shield spell makes it Clash of Wills on Gnosis + Mind of caster. On losing, victim makes any commands of Entity under it's mad influence.

Memetic by GibberingEloquence
    The entity exists as a viral idea instead of a tangible and discreet construct, and knowing about it can be enough to infect someone. Abyssals possessing this Aspect gain the Aggressive Meme Numen for free, and can only use Manifestations besides Twilight Form after a certain set of prerequisites has been met. This usually takes the form of a ritual that, once complete, allows the entity to use all Manifestations. However, the prerequisites can also be a set of apparently disparate behaviors on part of the infected that gradually give more Manifestations to the entity.

All entities who possess this Aspect spread through a vector, which must be present for the entity to use Aggressive Meme. A vector infects a number of roll types equal to the entity's Rank. An entity themed around mad art can affect Intelligence + Crafts rolls made to try and create a sculpture of its likeness. Anyone who saw this sculpture would roll Resolve + Composure + Supernatural Tolerance vs Finesse + Rank. Failure indicates the target is infected by the meme for a number of days equal to Rank, or weeks if the entity gets an Exceptional Success.

Of note is that Memetic entities lack Corpus. They exist within minds most of the time, so they treat anyone who is infected as being Open. To contain a Memetic entity, one must subvert, destroy and/or eliminate knowledge of the vector. These entities' effective Corpus is measured by their Willpower points. Each contained episode of an Aggressive Meme use takes away 1 willpower point. For each point lost, the entity suffers a cumulative -1 penalty to all rolls. When they lose all Willpower points, the Open Condition is considered to be suppressed, but care must be taken to contain the vector so the meme does not spread again.

Although they cannot Materialize of use Influences on physical structures until the prerequisites have been met, Memetic entities can influence the minds of the infected via Urging/Influences/Numina so they act as proxies, often to spread the meme and attack those who want to contain it.

Paradox Gorging by GibberingEloquence
    The entity reflexively rolls Resistance + Rank whenever Paradox is incurred in its presence. Each Success heals 1 lethal or bashing damage, and 3 Successes heals 1 aggravated damage. They may use their Influence over Paradoxes in conjunction with this Aspect and Numina to keep healing every turn. Paradox Gorging let's an Abyssal reflexively eat another of equal or lesser Rank by by spending 1 willpower point and rolling Power + Rank vs Resistance + Rank. Success destroys the target Abyssal, and the gorging entity heals [the target's Rank x 2] in any type of damage.

Presence of Paradox by amechra
    The ephemeral being is thoroughly tainted by the stuff of the Abyss - treat it as if it were an entire crowd of Sleepers for the purposes of calculating Paradox dice pools, except it adds dice equal to its Rank rather than just one. In addition, it may spend Essence reflexively to cancel Mana spent to mitigate a Paradox dice pool on a one-to-one basis.

Resistant by me
    Entity resist Supernal Magic much more efficiently than other of her kind – she get’s automatic Withstand source equal to its Rank against Awakened spells. That means she generally have Rank+1 Withstand, as its Attributes are normal source of Withstand, see rules of Withstanding, MtAw 2E page 114.

Summoning by me
    Entity can summon Abyssal Beings of it's original type from half of it's original Rank ( rounded up ) by spending 1 Essence for each one.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 09-24-2016, 02:23 AM. Reason: Aspects update

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Affront to Possibility
    The ephemeral being is simply sickeningly impossible, formed of elements that cannot and must not be. Sleepers that suffer Breaking Points due to its presence suffer a -2 penalty on their roll; if they fail, the abyssal being may reflexively spend two Essence to downgrade that Failure to a Dramatic Failure. If it does so, the Sleeper gains the benefits and drawbacks of the Liar merit without paying for its cost - this form of sick repayment supplements, rather than replaces, the effects of a Dramatic Failure.

Horrid Compleation
    To beings of the Abyss, Claiming sleepers is not the body-theft of other ephemeral beings - it's a return home. If the ephemeral being Claims a sleeper, it adds half of its Rank, rounded up, to all of its attributes before splitting them between the sleeper's attributes. In addition, the Claimed sleeper reacts to Dissonance as if they were an abyssal entity, and adds the Abyssal entity's Rank to their Integrity for the purposes of generating Dissonance.

Presence of Paradox
    The ephemeral being is thoroughly tainted by the stuff of the Abyss - treat it as if it were an entire crowd of Sleepers for the purposes of calculating Paradox dice pools, except it adds dice equal to its Rank rather than just one. In addition, it may spend Essence reflexively to cancel Mana spent to mitigate a Paradox dice pool on a one-to-one basis.

=---=

So the first one screws over Sleeper breaking points, creates an Open condition, and boosts Dissonance rolls. It also drives sleepers nuts, so that's a plus side. The second one just makes Abyss-Claimed super-burly. And the final one kicks cocky Mages in the junk.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Echoing Intent
      Under the right circumstances, like in the event of its destruction, the Entity may instead spend a dot of Resistance for the following effect to occur: All present witnesses become unable to perceive or directly affect it. All mundane rolls fail outright and it becomes immune to all of their Spells. The entity likewise becomes unable to affect them or even alter the environment in their presence, with the exception of communicating with others. It also can't acknowledge their existence outside of their presence, but otherwise has full access to its powers. Each use of this effect is permanent.

On the bright side, you can trap the entity in a room by locking the door and guarding it. Of course, you would need someone else to confirm if you succeeded.
      Last edited by Teatime; 07-04-2016, 07:30 PM.

~

Comment

Everywhere And Nowhere

The entity is not simply accompanied by illusory copies of itself - it exists in multiple places and none of them simultaneously. Long range attacks against it are reduced to a chance die. Aiming still gives dice bonuses, but each +1 reduces the Damage Bonus of mundane weapons by one. Dice pools for attempting to lock it into a single spot in a single moment with spells are reduced to 1/2 round down and do not receive Exceptional Successes. The entity can use up to its Rank in different Manifestations simultaneously and reduces the cost for each Manifestations to 1 Essence. Lastly, it can reflexively switch any or all of the Manifestations on and off with 1 willpower point.

EDIT: I'm not sure if this is paradoxical enough. What if a Failures on Perception rolls to spot/search for it became Exceptional Successes, and regular Successes became Dramatic Failures?
        Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 07-04-2016, 11:47 PM.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

Thanks for submissions - they look great, guys! I update OP with new content. Gib's Everywhere And Nowhere I left out, as maybe some hammering will be needed on it.

Originally posted by GibberingEloquence View Post
          Everywhere And Nowhere

The entity is not simply accompanied by illusory copies of itself - it exists in multiple places and none of them simultaneously. Long range attacks against it are reduced to a chance die. Aiming still gives dice bonuses, but each +1 reduces the Damage Bonus of mundane weapons by one. Dice pools for attempting to lock it into a single spot in a single moment with spells are reduced to 1/2 round down and do not receive Exceptional Successes. The entity can use up to its Rank in different Manifestations simultaneously and reduces the cost for each Manifestations to 1 Essence. Lastly, it can reflexively switch any or all of the Manifestations on and off with 1 willpower point.
          Thoughts on this power:
          1. I will like to use it for my King in Yellow - it seems as exactly the thing he would have.
          2. Why normal firearms are left with Chance Die and Aiming will work? Or do you mean Firearms Aiming?
          3. Could you give example of 'lock it into a single spot in single moment'?
          4. What with close combat attacks - are they attacking the being proper, or are they lowered to Chance Die ( or with penalties only )?
          EDIT: I'm not sure if this is paradoxical enough. What if a Failures on Perception rolls to spot/search for it became Exceptional Successes, and regular Successes became Dramatic Failures?
          I do not think it's make it more Abyssal like. Just irregular / irritating. There is nothing profoundly 'wrong' with just changing results.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Mangling the rules like that is cutesy and twee and the first thing a lot of people think of when they think "weird things in the game fiction".

Doing it that way is dumb. The Eldrazi in MtG are possibly the only "breaks the rules"-type monster that actually works, and that's because the Eldrazi don't actually mess with the core rules. They just lack a trait that everything else has (Color, thanks to Devoid), and interact with the cards in Exile in a way that no other tribe does (Ingest and the Processors).

Basically, make the game fiction as mind-scarringly warped as you want. But keep the mechanics simple and logical - you have to actually use the damn things, after all.

=---=

Deny the Supernal
            The ephemeral being downgrades any damage that it would take due to Supernal magic by one step. In addition, any spell cast within the same Scene as it has a base Potency of -1 instead of 1; spells with a Potency lower than 1 simply sputter, fail, and die.

Suddenly, that Prime Master slinging Supernal Fire (base Potency 5 +1 Reach for 5A) at the Abyssal finds that it only does 3L. Plus, it effectively has +2 to its Withstand rating all the time.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

Comment

Originally posted by amechra View Post
              Deny the Supernal
              The ephemeral being downgrades any damage that it would take due to Supernal magic by one step. In addition, any spell cast within the same Scene as it has a base Potency of -1 instead of 1; spells with a Potency lower than 1 simply sputter, fail, and die.

Suddenly, that Prime Master slinging Supernal Fire (base Potency 5 +1 Reach for 5A) at the Abyssal finds that it only does 3L. Plus, it effectively has +2 to its Withstand rating all the time.
              What about reducing base Potency by Rank, or being able to spend up to Rank in Essence to do so?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

I would change a bit wording from 'Supernal spells' on to 'Supernal forces', so Legacy Attainments would also be in this field. But looking on the other hand, when you are having Supernal Fire as Attainment you are way pass 'normal Abyss combatant', so maybe leaving it for Legacies is okay? I point if it should work against powers of groups like Choir of Hashmallim...

Also, would Deny Supernal generally dumpen all magic in the Scene where Abyssal is? It clearly would lower spell cast on King in Yellow, for example, but spells cast on other PCs also, like healing, just for having King in proximity?
                Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-05-2016, 02:18 PM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Attainments aren't Supernal anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by amechra View Post
                    Mangling the rules like that is cutesy and twee and the first thing a lot of people think of when they think "weird things in the game fiction".

Doing it that way is dumb. The Eldrazi in MtG are possibly the only "breaks the rules"-type monster that actually works, and that's because the Eldrazi don't actually mess with the core rules. They just lack a trait that everything else has (Color, thanks to Devoid), and interact with the cards in Exile in a way that no other tribe does (Ingest and the Processors).

Basically, make the game fiction as mind-scarringly warped as you want. But keep the mechanics simple and logical - you have to actually use the damn things, after all.
                    I thank you for the feedback, but using words like cutesy and twee is not necessary. A simple "inappropriate" would have been enough.

Would it make more sense for Everywhere And Nowhere to, say, replace Defense with a dice pool that must be contested by some combination of Space and Time so the entity can be targeted?

Let Him Speak.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                      [*]I will like to use it for my King in Yellow
                      Is there a post where you talk about your plot or how you are stating the story you're writing? I would be very interested in a link to that.

EDIT:

Never mind, I went through your recent posts and found it. Reposting the link here for the ease of others to access:

Have you seen the Yellow Sign?

by the way, it looks amazing, great job.
                      Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 07-05-2016, 08:00 PM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
                      "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

I thank you for the feedback, but using words like cutesy and twee is not necessary. A simple "inappropriate" would have been enough.
                        Apologies. It's one of my pet peeves, so I snapped a bit.

As for the power, I could totally see it ignoring damage from sources that can't lock down its position or hit each position.

wyrdhamster - Yes, it reduces the Potency on all Spells cast within the same scene, regardless of who they target. I also think it wouldn't affect Attainments, since they aren't just structures made of Supernal symbols.

Vent0 - I'm trying not to make Deny the Supernal ultra hard to beat. It's supposed to be combined with...

=---=
                        Absence of [Arcana]
                        A version of this Numina exists for each Arcana; the ephemeral being is always considered to be an invalid target for Supernal magic belonging to that Arcana. In addition, any spell of that Arcana that interacts (even indirectly) with the ephemeral being unravels as if exposed to [Rank] successes on a Dissonance roll.
                        =---=

So, let's say the King in Yellow has Absence of Prime and Deny the Supernal. That Supernal Fire? It fails unless the Mage dropped three extra Potency on it, and even then it does 1B.

If the King had Absence of Time and got punched by an Acanthus running Acceleration, that Acceleration is, more often than not, gone. Completely. Sucked into the void that is the King. If not, the retaliation should dissolve it completely.

=---=
                        HE IS COME [Manifestation]
                        By spending 15 Essence, an Abyssal being can manifest itself fully into the Fallen World for a Scene. While they are manifested, everything of the Supernal within one mile suffers as if a Dissonance roll had rolled successes equal to the Abyssal being's Rank. What's worse, all Mages within that personally witness the transition suffer the Abyssal Backlash and Abyssal Imago conditions as if they had rolled successes equal to the Abyssal being's Rank on a Paradox roll. As a welcome mercy, each turn spent in the Fallen World deals one Aggravated damage to the Abyssal being - if it happens to be within an Abyssal Verge or an Abyssal Demesne, reduce that damage by one step. If it happens to be in both, reduce that damage by two steps instead.
                        =---=

There. That's your "holy shit this is the endgame" button. A Rank 5 Abyssal like the King in Yellow would severely injure most Supernal beings, would destroy every Demesne close enough, and would end most spells then and there. Plus, anyone watching (i.e., the players) gets smacked with a nasty debuff to their ability to solve things with spells without them exploding in their faces.

Comment

Little nitpick - Should not Manifestation be called 'HE HAS COME'?

I would only question if 'God of Madness' ( i.e. King in Yellow ) should be Absence of Prime or Absence of Mind ? Madness is clearly in Mind Arcanum territory, but King is using it, so he has power over the Mind. As 'Time Before Sick' being, point can be made on Absent of Prime and Absent of Time, I think.
                          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-06-2016, 02:13 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
                            Attainments aren't Supernal anyways.
                            Legacy Attainments are clearly not spells and magic, but not being Superal phenomena? It's moody, could not found clear statement on this in 2E corebook.

Abyss would not different between spells and Supernal powers - it just squash Supernal on general.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Legacy Attainments are clearly not spells and magic, but not being Superal phenomena? It's moody, could not found clear statement on this in 2E corebook.

Abyss would not different between spells and Supernal powers - it just squash Supernal on general.
                              Attainments come from the user's soul, not the Supernal realms. They don't provoke Paradox, aren't subject to Dissonance, etc, for this reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X