Tamers of Winds (2E)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamers of Winds (2E)

Truth is written on the wind. It’s impossible to pin down, impossible to catch. If the wind is contained, it ceases to be wind. If the truth is captured and hidden in a box, it ceases to be the truth. But if a magician is subtle (and sensible) enough, he can glimpse the truth, just for a moment. His fingers holding the air just long enough for that split-second of enlightenment before letting it go.

Coming with the Winds

The Tamers of Winds are masters of the weather, priests of the sky who could blight or prosper crops. Like the rest of the Elemental Masteries, they believed that truth, knowledge and the wind were literally one and the same. They crafted their souls to exploit that “fact,” becoming wind, becoming knowledge, becoming truth.

Aeolians say that one can hold the winds in a bag, but yhe has to let them free eventually. So it is with Enlightenment. A Mage may grasp it one day, but it will never truly hold value unless it is shared at some point. Appreciating enlightenment and imparting it to those around them allows those of the Legacy control over not only physical air, but also the abstract truths of the world. Only then do they truly Tame the Winds.

Origins

Parentage: Acanthus, Elemental Masteries, or Free Council

Background: The Tamers of Winds used to come in large numbers from the priestly castes in ancient societies. Now, many are educated professionals, particularly in fields that require inquiry and investigation. Science and technology, law, law enforcement, theology and philosophy, and journalism are particularly common professions among Aeolians.

Appearance: No matter how they’re dressed, smart or scruffy, Aeolians always seem to be looking for something. Their eyes move around, assessing their surroundings, and they never seem to stay still in one place for long.

Doctrine

Prerequisites: Gnosis 2, Forces 2, Empathy 2, one of the following Skills at two dots or higher (Investigation, Science, Stealth, Expression)

Initiation: A potential Tamer of Winds is taken by his tutor to a high outdoors area, where they are unlikely to be disturbed. A period of guided meditation in the company of the tutor encourages her to enter a trance state, before he is made to jump.

Organization: The Tamers of Winds take the tutor-pupil relationship very seriously and work very closely, with most corresponding at least once a day. Just as with the other Elemental Masteries, the Aeolians theoretically have a duty to provide aid to those who carry the Elemental Mark, but in practice, although they might be well disposed toward other Tamers, they’re not really obliged to support them.

Theory: Air is the element of freedom, but it also represents knowledge and reason. Aeolians control the wind and the rain in ways most can only imagine. But they also excel in magic which investigates the truth of a thing.

Attainments

1st Attainment: Hear the Wind
    Prerequisites:
    Initiation
    Voices carry on the wind, and the Aeolian learns to pick up on even the most minute sounds that echo all around him. After spending a scene in meditation, this Attainment duplicates the "Receiver" spell, with Reach spent to give it Advanced Duration and make Potency the Primary Spell Factor.

Optional: Fate 1
    The truth will reveal itself. And the winds lead the Aeolian down the proper path towards whatever truth he seeks. If he wishes, he may choose to extend such guidance towards another to aid them in their own search. This Attainment invokes the effects of the "Serendipity" spell, with Reach assigned to make it an Instant Action and capable of targeting another at sensory range.

2nd Attainment: Feel the Wind
    Prerequisites:
    Forces 2, Empathy 3
    The Tamers of Winds reaches out with his soul and manipulates the air, compressing or expanding it so that sound can be amplified and moved in ways it cannot naturally travel. This Attainment is identical to the “Control Sound” spell, with Reach assigned to make it an Instant Action with Advanced Scale.

Optional: Fate 2
    The Tamer of Wind can trust in the winds to bring him to whatever is needed to himself or another. Whether an object or a person, he can expect it to arrive at the right time. After a scene of meditation, he may use this Attainment to invoke the "Shifting the Odds" spell. Reach is spent to give it Advanced Duration, and make Potency the Primary Factor..

3rd Attainment: Grasp the Wind
    Prerequisites:
    Forces 3, Second Skill at three dots or a Third Skill at two dots
    The Tamer of Winds can now grab hold of the air with his mind, compressing it and pushing to such an extent that it can lift and manipulate objects. This works like the “Telekinesis” spell, with Reach assigned to make it target objects at sensory range as an Instant Action.

Optional: Fate 3
    An Aeolian knows that even the most gentle breeze has the potential to inflict great harm upon a person. Hence, he can call upon the winds of Fate to make even the most glancing of blows devastating to their foes. This Attainment is similar to the "Grave Misfortune" spell, with Reach spent to make it an Instant Action with Advanced Duration.

4th Attainment: Friend of the Wind
    Prerequisites:
    Forces 4, Empathy 4
    The air within the Tamer of the Wind’s transformed soul can now call to the wind outside himself. Like sings to like, and the winds wrap and clothe him, lifting him from the ground and granting him the ability to soar. As an Instant Action, this Attainment duplicates the Levitation spell, with Reach allowing her to fly fluidly and freely. While airborne, she can make a Dexterity + Athletics roll to avoid obstacles, gains her normal Defense against attacks, and can fly without exhausting herself as she would by running.

Optional: Fate 4
    Many roads lead to the same truth, but many more can lead whoever seeks it astray. The Aeolian can influence the direction of one's Fate to mitigate the chance that he is not blown to a different path. This Attainment mimics the "Strings of Fate" spell, and assigns Reach to make it Instant with Advanced Duration.

5th Attainment: One with the Wind
    Prerequisites:
    Forces 5, Second Skill at four dots or Third Skill at three dots or a Fourth Skill at two dots
    An Aeolian is truly in tune with the wind, at this point. He can summon clouds to cover the skies and have life-giving rain pour down around him. But he can just as easily call up a storm to wreak death and destruction upon his enemies. As an Instant Action, this Attainment duplicates the "Adverse Weather" spell with Advanced Duration.

Optional: Fate 5
    A Tamer of Winds can direct the full force of the winds of Fate to lead an individual towards a truth he wishes to avoid. Alternatively, he can hamper his efforts at preventing a given truth from being realized. By using this Attainment, he may use the "Divine Intervention" spell as an Instant action, with Duration as the Primary Factor.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 02-21-2017, 06:54 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Another Elemental Mastery conversion, this time of the Tamers of Winds. As usual, this Legacy makes use of my House Rules for Reach (Attainment Level + 1), and I've also changed the Optional Arcanum from Mind to Fate. For those who are interested in making Mind Attainments, though, refer to the list below.

Enjoy Critique and suggestions are always welcome.

Mind 1
    The swift movement of the air transforms the Mage’s mind. The first sign of this is the way his thought processes alter, becoming able to hold two streams of thought at the same time. This Attainment mimics the "One Mind, Two Thoughts" spell, with Reach assigned to make it an Instant Action and allow the Tamer to simultaneously perform two separate Mental instant tasks.

Mind 2
    The Aeolian can briefly touch the mind of another, granting him a glimpse of his current thoughts and perhaps even a moment to mentally impart a message. This Attainment is similar to the "Telepathy" spell, with Reach assigned to target anyone in sensory range as an Instant Action.

Mind 3
    Having learned how to grasp and twist the air outside of himself, the Aeolian Disciple of Mind can now twist the air within. This enables him to dismiss the storms over his thoughts to enjoy a moment of clarity. By spending a scene in meditation, he may use this Attainment to invoke the "Clear Thoughts" spell. Reach is spent to give it Advanced Duration and make Potency the Primary Spell Factor.

Mind 4
    The Tamer of Winds who is also an Adept of Mind can now extend his control of the air, and his control of truth into the minds of others, making them believe anything he tells them. His truth becomes their truth. The Aeolian just has to speak to his target for the power to take effect. Maybe he’s gently persuasive. Maybe he’s seductive. Maybe he comes up with an amazing piece of propaganda. However he does it, this Attainment lets him invoke the "Imposter" spell, with Reach assigned to target anyone in sensory range as an Instant Action, and granting it the Advanced Scale Factor.

Mind 5
    The Tamer of Winds continues to hone his power over how people perceive the truth. Done with enough skil, he can make them believe that something nonexistent is before them. The effect is similar to the "Hallucination" spell, with Reach assigned to make it an Instant Action with Advanced Duration.
    Last edited by Deionscribe; 07-18-2016, 09:17 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

I would change two things:
      1. 'Parentage: Acanthus, Elemental Masteries, or Free Council' - I do not see anything truly Liberine-like in them, beside being ancient Legacy. If this is reason, ALL Elemental Masteries should be be part of Free Council - I could see arguments for going both ways, but it should be consistent across all.
      2. Optional Arcanum - I would still stick to Acanthus Fate Arcanum. In1E Tamers of Winds they had Mind, but Fate could work as promise to uncover facts and it could work here. Also, sticking to original Path Arcana makes Legacy more... logical, in setting. It highlight why it's 'mainly Acanthus/Moros/Thyrsus one'.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
        I would change two things:
        1. 'Parentage: Acanthus, Elemental Masteries, or Free Council' - I do not see anything truly Liberine-like in them, beside being ancient Legacy. If this is reason, ALL Elemental Masteries should be be part of Free Council - I could see arguments for going both ways, but it should be consistent across all.
        2. Optional Arcanum - I would still stick to Acanthus Fate Arcanum. In1E Tamers of Winds they had Mind, but Fate could work as promise to uncover facts and it could work here. Also, sticking to original Path Arcana makes Legacy more... logical, in setting. It highlight why it's 'mainly Acanthus/Moros/Thyrsus one'.
        How about swapping out Free Council for Silver Ladder?

Also, their entry in Legacies: The Ancient also mentioned that the rise of technology caused the Aeolians to change and adapt from their original roots. That said, perhaps the Mind Attainments could belong to an offshoot of the original Legacy (perhaps started by a Mastigos), while those who still cling more closely to the original teachings retain the original Fate-based Optional Attainments?

"My Homebrew Hub"
        Age of Azar
        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Not bad but they do have a whole other side dealing with deception and invisibility that is so fitting for Magistos or the GotV and Mysterium. They don't seem to be primarily Force mages or Silver Ladder to me. Though no doubt the Silver Ladder would gladly welcome one's with the proper mindset.
          Last edited by Kumiko; 07-16-2016, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Working on doing Optional Attainments using Fate, but I could use some critique and suggestions for that.

Optional: Fate 1
            The winds guide the Aeolian down the proper path towards whatever truth he seeks. If he wishes, he may extend their wisdom towards another. This Attainment invokes the effects of the "Serendipity" spell, with Reach assigned to make it an Instant Action and capable of targeting another at sensory range.

Optional: Fate 2
            The Tamer of Wind can trust in the winds to bring him to whatever object or person he has need of. As an Instant Action, this Attainment may invoke the "Shifting the Odds" spell, with the desired target being located within an hour.

Optional: Fate 3

Optional: Fate 4

Optional: Fate 5

"My Homebrew Hub"
            Age of Azar
            The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Tamers are found in all of the Orders, they're one of the few legacy groups that don't bother with Parent Order as a result.

For the 5th Forces attainment if you don't have any ideas yet I'd suggest one of the weather making spells since that got mentioned more than once in the write up but never made an appearance in the attainments. I'd suggest restricting it to just making windstorms, gale force winds, tornados, etc so you can free it up for some extra oomph in a wind related way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
                Tamers are found in all of the Orders, they're one of the few legacy groups that don't bother with Parent Order as a result.
                I don't agree with this statement - yes, Tamers are mostly based on Path symbols, but they do create their own Nameless Order. In 2E everyone can by every Legacy if they really want, so it's illogical to limit to Parent Order, as they have Parent Order - Elemental Masteries. But on the other hand they could be said to allied with Free Council on Great Refusal, as most of other non-'Atlantean' groups.

Still, one format on Parentage should be on all Tamers Legacies.

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
                How about swapping out Free Council for Silver Ladder?
                Then you need to add in all Tamers one Pentacle Order as Parent - all of those Legacies can be said to 'strickly Nameless'. 'Nameless Order and Free Council' or 'Nameless Order and one Pentacle depending on your's point of view. Myself - as Legacies: The Ancient mention Elemental Masteries being bigest Nameless Order - would go with first or second solutions. Second one especially makes Free Council feel as alliance of 'old traditions'.

Also, their entry in Legacies: The Ancient also mentioned that the rise of technology caused the Aeolians to change and adapt from their original roots.
                Acanthus are all about chaning and adapting, don' t they?

That said, perhaps the Mind Attainments could belong to an offshoot of the original Legacy (perhaps started by a Mastigos), while those who still cling more closely to the original teachings retain the original Fate-based Optional Attainments?
                Could see this - but still mark Fate Optional as main Legacy. LtA mantioned them as Acanthus Legacy on symbolic reasons, so they should be Acanthus Legacy.
                Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-16-2016, 11:13 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                LGBT+ through Ages
                LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

For the 5th Forces attainment if you don't have any ideas yet I'd suggest one of the weather making spells since that got mentioned more than once in the write up but never made an appearance in the attainments. I'd suggest restricting it to just making windstorms, gale force winds, tornados, etc so you can free it up for some extra oomph in a wind related way.
                  I'd go with that. But the Mage pdf apparently didn't have any reference table for the Create Weather spell,much less a write-up for the Change Weather one that was mentioned. If there is an errata for it here, do link me

I don't agree with this statement - yes, Tamers are mostly based on Path symbols, but they do create their own Nameless Order. In 2E everyone can by every Legacy if they really want, so it's illogical to limit to Parent Order, as they have Parent Order - Elemental Masteries. But on the other hand they could be said to allied with Free Council on Great Refusal, as most of other non-'Atlantean' groups.

Still, one format on Parentage should be on all Tamers Legacies.
                  '
                  So, should I just limit Order Parentage to the Elemental Masteries, then?

"My Homebrew Hub"
                  Age of Azar
                  The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

I don't agree with this statement - yes, Tamers are mostly based on Path symbols, but they do create their own Nameless Order. In 2E everyone can by every Legacy if they really want, so it's illogical to limit to Parent Order, as they have Parent Order - Elemental Masteries. But on the other hand they could be said to allied with Free Council on Great Refusal, as most of other non-'Atlantean' groups
                    Think of theTamer's Order like this, there are 6 large corporations, in each corporation about 5% of the employees are in the Masons. The Masons aren't a corporation so the big 6 don't recognize them as competition or allies, but the Masons are organized and occasionally go do their own thing even though or in spite of their jobs in the big 6. Occasionally people from the big 6 get curious about the Masons and join and the Masons don't discriminate about which of the big 6 the candidate came from.

Do you understand the metaphor?

Comment

Think of the Tamer's Order like this, there are 6 large corporations, in each corporation about 5% of the employees are in the Masons. The Masons aren't a corporation so the big 6 don't recognize them as competition or allies, but the Masons are organized and occasionally go do their own thing even though or in spite of their jobs in the big 6. Occasionally people from the big 6 get curious about the Masons and join and the Masons don't discriminate about which of the big 6 the candidate came from.

Do you understand the metaphor?
                      I think I somewhat get it. Anyway, made some major revisions to the Legacy in terms of the Optional Arcanum. Feel free to critique them at your leisure.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                      Age of Azar
                      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Cool. That comment was mostly directed wyrdhamster who seems dead set on refusing to understand how the structure of legacies that can be from any Order works. Glad it could help though.

Comment

This talk about Masons made me wonder if Legacies should come with Mystery Cult Initiation associated with them.

Comment

There certainly could be some that build those.

Comment

Think of the Tamer's Order like this, there are 6 large corporations, in each corporation about 5% of the employees are in the Masons. The Masons aren't a corporation so the big 6 don't recognize them as competition or allies, but the Masons are organized and occasionally go do their own thing even though or in spite of their jobs in the big 6. Occasionally people from the big 6 get curious about the Masons and join and the Masons don't discriminate about which of the big 6 the candidate came from.
                              You are saying that Tamers are not, even Nameless, Order. Which is clearly not the fact. Tamers are mostly independent, they own thing. Part of them are in Pentacle. That small % of Tamers is in Pentacle, it does not mean they should have Pentacle Orders as they Parantage - they are first and for most Nameless group.

See Dreamspeakers - before Free Council they where totally they own thing, truly Nameless Legacy. They only joined after Great Refusal. Tamers could do the same - or they still could be largely Nameless.

LGBT+ through Ages
                              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                              X