Mages, Jobs and Mysteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mages, Jobs and Mysteries

So, jobs. For many people, there is no reason for a Mage to keep their job; it's a vulnerability, it takes time, it pulls you away from vibrant world of magic. Jobs first and primary purpose seems to be providing resources, and with access to magic, it becomes irrelevant. I've seen mage settings where majority of mages abandoned Sleeper life and delighted in Occultation.

After some self-reflection, I noticed that majority of my Mage characters - both PCs, and NPCs - tend to work. I love using leading double life as a conflict and drama point in Mage (if you read my other threads, you probably noticed that we keep our Mages games at a "street level", so to speak); I also think that people with capability to Obsess are often ones that work for other reasons that just a paycheck; passion and obsession have much in common! And of course, from meta storytelling point of view, attaching a job to a character can paint a lot of her picture with a good resources-to-characterization ratio (yes, I like approaching things like they are a test subject on a autopsy table; stories are no different).
    Personally, I can see some interesting benefits for a Mage who doesn't abandon their Sleeper Job - for one, many careers and professions are a goldmine of Mysteries - lawyer, coroner, antique shop owner, to name a few. They also often provide potential for Acts of Hubris that are not magical in nature, which in turn translates into Arcane Beats. And, well, they often provide a good structure to build Mystery Cult around.

So I kinda wanted to see what people have to say about the topic. Some bullet points I want to talk about, and seen talked about:

- Are Mages in your Chronicles employed? Why?
    - If they are employed, are they jobs coming up in play often, or are they more of a background thing?
    - Do you think that characters heavily invested in their job are a distraction from the mystical side of things, thus being disruptive in a group play for rest of the table?
    - What jobs do you think are most interesting for Mages, and provide best opportunities for Mysteries and Arcane Beats?
    - What jobs do you think are not suited for Mages, or/and player characters?
    - Got any interesting story or mystery seeds?
    - Any cool job-based-mystery-cults?
    Last edited by WHW; 07-22-2016, 02:03 AM.

Originally posted by WHW View Post
    Varies from Mage to Mage. One of my Moros players was a chemistry teacher at a joint elementary/high school. The job gave him a grounding and connection to common humanity; a way to remind himself of what was important and why and to do something he loved. When he lost the job due to some parts of his secret identity becoming public knowledge (it's now commonly believed he's a treasure hunter, and he was fired for committing tax evasion), it threw him into a spiral downwards. Absent that anchor to the mortal world, he just spent days at a time in his basement testing his alchemical formulae. It was interesting to see just how much it meant.

Most of my other Mage players don't have that level of connection to their jobs but do some form of work. I've had an Acanthus sketch artist who worked for the police, and a Thyrsus prostitute who used her profession as an information source. My own Thyrsus ended up managing to earn a medical degree down one little skein of causality, but decided that actually working as a doctor was a special sort of agony and lead a mystery cult using a medical practice as a front.

Jobs get you money but they also help connect you to peers and, if you're lucky, engage you with things you might not have otherwise seen. Cut that off from yourself and it's easy to vanish into solipsism.

- If they are employed, are they jobs coming up in play often, or are they more of a background thing?
    See above; more for some Mages than others. I did a lot of stories revolving around the Moros character's school. It's still coming up in relation to his adopted daughter and girlfriend (that's two different characters there, as one would hope); the former attending, the latter working there still.

Acanthus sketch artist had a couple of storylines involving tips from her encounters with police. Jobs are handy for that.

- Do you think that characters heavily invested in their job are a distraction from the mystical side of things, thus being disruptive in a group play for rest of the table?
    Something to remember is that "the mystical side of things" is only half of Mage, and often not the most engaging half. Mages who are nothing but abstract superbeings are harder to relate to; harder to see the strange, inner workings of. I've had one Mage character disappear down that particular path something fierce and he ended up a hobo living in tunnels underneath Chicago, carving neo-primitivist art on the wall and coated in gang tattoos. He never stopped drinking.

Humanity keeps us grounded. It prevents us from disappearing. Don't forget that.

- What jobs do you think are most interesting for Mages, and provide best opportunities for Mysteries and Arcane Beats?
    Believe it or not, there's no job that doesn't on some level allow for Mysteries. Even working concessions means you have opportunities to see odd stuff. I had an Acanthus who worked at a gas station; got to see some odd things on the night shift.

Aside from that, any job that lets you investigate new things - scientists, journalists, detectives, lawyers, doctors, etc. - is probably a safe bet.

As above, there really aren't any. Even if your job's packing crates in a warehouse, you might always stumble upon something odd going on. Though it does get tricky to have that happen over and over without the warehouse they work at seeming to become an unusual setpiece in its own right. So there's that.

Don't take the night shift at that gas stop out on the highway. Y'know, the one with nothing around for miles. At around midnight, you start getting some really weird customers. And if you're smart, you don't let them come in to pay.

The Panakeion; a thearch cult running out of a private health clinic in Seattle, Washington. The Panakeion is a place designed to stimulate feelings of health. Not just to abate sickness, but to make you feel healthy. The air circulates well, the lighting is cool, there's entertainment to help you pass the time, the staff are friendly... All watched over by a Thyrsus thearch who provides help with diagnosis and, where necessary, healing.

Behind the pleasant exterior, there's a pleasant interior too. The Panakeion is most certainly a cult, whose mythology is a slight blending of Abrahamic and Greek myth; drawing on Edenic imagery and many tales of magical trees and fruit that provide healing properties. Members of the cult are guided into how to observe and understand spirits; to communicate and propitiate without worshiping them. It's taught to them as a kind of gardening; cultivating and shepherding, as Man did in the first garden. Naturally, there's more tangible rewards to this than just helping sick people. Obviously, it pays well, but members also tend to be healthier than most people and the work itself is relatively light, since most patients can be treated rather easily. Tree and water symbols abound.

The Panakeion's purpose is to produce as many spirits of health and healing as possible. It is a veritable feeding ground for them. The utility of an abundance of such spirits should be obvious. Its keeper is a Thyrsus of the Tamers of Rivers Legacy and a dedicated faith healer.

Comment

Disclaimer: I haven't run or played Mage yet, this is all hypothetical "if/when I run a Mage game"

I imagine some are and some are not, for a variety of reasons. Some might not want to cut ties with their Sleeper family and might continue to live their old lives, and moonlight as Mages (or... they might try to, it probably doesn't work out well most of the time.) Others might see using magic to get the resources you need to eat and keep a roof over your head as Hubris, and work a regular job to pay the bills because they don't want to use magic when mundane means can produce the same results. As you pointed out, some may take up jobs as an excuse to get them close to Mysteries. Still others might use a job as part of an alternate identity. I'm sure there are plenty of Guardians with Masques that involve Professional Training.

Ÿ- If they are employed, are they jobs coming up in play often, or are they more of a background thing?
      Jobs are usually more background things in my games, except when they are specifically introducing complications to the story. This goes for any game line, really. Most of the time, your day job is a neat character flourish, but not really very important to the story. But, when you're at risk of losing it because you keep missing work to help your friends investigate [plot-related spooky thing], it becomes much more relevant.

I think characters heavily invested in their job are a distraction from the mystical side of things, thus being a useful way to introduce conflict into the story and enhance group play for the rest of the table.

The mage detective/PI is of course a classic example, as is the magical shopkeeper (pawn shop or new age shop both work well). Tending a bar or cafe is a good way to pick up on leads for weird shit. Journalist works similarly to detective in that it gives you a good excuse to be snooping around a lot.

Anything that puts them at a desk does kind of keep them away from Mysteries rather than helping find them. Anything with a lot of public attention like a (famous) actor or musician would make it very difficult to do magic without being observed. Anything that puts you around kids puts them at risk. But, like, all of these are things a Storyteller could work with and turn into dramatic conflict. They're great reasons a Mage character wouldn't want to take such jobs, but I wouldn't call them unsuitable for Mage PCs, because they're all ripe with story potential. I think any job a player wants their character to have is workable.

Sadly, no, my lack of good Mystery ideas is one of many reasons I have yet to try running Mage.

I've been thinking an Eleventh Question Mystery Cult revolving around a police force would be cool.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Job based mystery cult: Middle Management. I can't work out the mechanics, but essentially they specialize in mystically manipulating office environments in service to...something, and obscure their goals and purpose with business talk, buzz words and the like. For instance they might claim they serve the "shareholders". Inspired by Office Space. Maybe a better name would be Corporate Cult-ure.

Comment

Gosh, we can totally do this. Here's a first stab, for ya.

Corporate Cultists
          1: Training Seminar: Professional Training 1 (Management) [Politics, Subterfuge] Contacts (Middle Management, Hired Services) - The training seminar teaches the fundamentals required to manage properly, which means handling people...
          2: Brown-nosing: Mentor 1 - Learning to visualize and actualize begins to synergize with the team building exercises.
          3: Filing Skills: Professional Training 2 (Management) - Enhanced people skills allow a true manager to action their actionable action items.
          4. Promotion: Retainer 3 (Subordinate suckup) - Successful people grow constantly, especially in leadership skills.
          5. Process Definition: Professional Training 3 (Management) [+Occult] - The cleverest of managers knows how to get the most out of his structures and plans.

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

Originally posted by thenate View Post
            Gosh, we can totally do this. Here's a first stab, for ya.
            This is neat. I'd kind of like the 2nd and 5th dots to be something other than more professional training. Maybe something like...

Corporate Cultists
            1: Training Seminar: Professional Training 1 (Management) [Politics, Subterfuge] Contacts (Middle Management, Hired Services)
            2: Brown-nosing: Mentor 1
            3: Pay raise: Resources 2
            4. Intern: Retainer 3 (Subordinate suckup)
            5. Promotion: Staff 3 (Computer, Larceny, Politics)
            Last edited by Charlaquin; 07-23-2016, 02:27 PM.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

I reaaallly like posts like these. Thank you for putting so much thought into them!

School, in general, is a fantastic place to put Awakened in! It's both a great source of resources, and also a challenging battleground - especially for Awakened interested both in a process of forming the mind, and ones trying to engineer society in some way. Silver Ladder teacher sounds like a fantastic archetype, especially if opposed by a Seer of the Throne in the same pedagogic body. Or even without that!

I'll respond to the things about "distractions from mystery" at the end.

Panakeion sounds like a fun Cult to show if someone can't stop associating word "Cult" with anything else than "evil occultists in robes". A random thought, but such clinic could actually access ability to Ressurect people without usual Supernal Problems - if they have at least one Spirit of Healing at Rank 3 and access to Bolster Spirit, they can boosts it's Rank to 4 and gift it Ressurect Numina! Sounds like interesting ultimate goal or bargaining chip.

For Eleventh Question, police focus sounds cool, but what about making it a joint force of inquisitive professions? Cult that brings together a police detective, truth-seeking unpopular journalist, computer hacker with an agenda, and so on could be interesting place, especially if their day jobs could create tension and conflict (imagine a virtuous police detective who has to work with classical "honorable criminal" because they both are fighting for the same truth).
              ...this could easily turn into a Hunter...Compact? Conspiracy? I don't have theHunter book, so I might have mislabeled it.

For Mystery Seeds, my basic procedure for coming up with them is "look at something mundane, and then look at it using Magic Sight". For example, a nurse or M.D. could see really interesting or weird things in their patients by checking them out with MSight and spells; is this a vampire bite? Why this common cold looks like it was caused by self terminating brain parasites? Why is my patient showing...different...readings depending on the phase of the moon?
              Any job where you meet many different people is a gold mine, because remember one of the CofD assumptions - people meet supernatural, but then choose to look away. Even then, though, it leaves it's marks. But you...well. You can see these marks, and wonder, "what caused them?"
              Few other observation-based jobs that easily produce seeds - coroner, judge, lawyer, psychologist, doors-to-doors salesman, shop clerk, hair dresser, gym trainer (You know what could be cool? Gym-based Mystery Cult!)

The basic problem I've encountered with Mages and jobs is similar to "vampires in mixed parties" - non employed PCs have much more "gameplay time" than employed ones, and it often has lead to frustrating situations where characters can't operate as a group for majority of the day, because X has a day work, while Y has a night shift, so they can only participate for 2 hours, which means that Z and C decide to investigate stuff on their own. This obviously works differently with jobs that operate under flexible schedules, or even better, where you are only bound by actually providing your product. So in the end, most gameplay-friendly occupations from my experience ended up being freelance jobs, "being an owner of something", while jobs that require you to spend 8 hours behind desk or doing something specific either got handwaved, or produced a lot of frustration, sometimes for GM, sometimes for a player, sometimes for other players.
              [In fact, one of my gamemasters got so annoyed - this wasn't a mage game, but it also was a supernatural wod game - that he ended up "faking death" of such characters to just. get. going!
              I wasn't amused, to say the least.]

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                Sadly, no, my lack of good Mystery ideas is one of many reasons I have yet to try running Mage.
                Something to remember on this is that Mysteries are not universally obscured, nor readily explicable to the uninitiated. Awakening is a prime example, where every Mage is initiated to the Mystery and Sleepers are not. Mages can universally understand concepts like Gnosis or Arcana or what have you, and could theoretically just tell Sleepers what they are, but there's a difference between having a description and knowing.

Mages are aware of countless Mysteries. Every arcanum is packed full of symbols - symbols which can easily be translated into spheres of influence and vice versa - that you can easily focus in on and make a Mystery cult out of.

(A second thing to remember is that Mages create Mystery cults for a variety of reasons; to aid in personal exploration of a phenomena is one of them, but it also can help uplift Sleepers in the process.)

So, for example, take the Death arcanum. Death covers ghosts. So pick something to do with ghosts. Say, helping them move on? Then find an appropriate symbol for the act of aiding a ghost's moving on. Say, the Hindu god Yama.

So we have a Necromancer who founds a cult out of a need for assistance in pursuing their Obsession in understanding how and why ghosts form, what they are, and how best to aid them in moving on. Drawn from a belief in a wheel of incarnation, a vision from their Awakening Mystery Play, they have an instinctual view of ghosts as leftover karmic detritus that needs to be erased so souls may move on cleanly to their next life.

The Necromancer draws on visions they experienced during their Mystery Play, in dreams, and following intuitions when exploring their local occult and religious scene. They form in their mind a symbol that aids in their spellcasting and, the more they see it, the more sure they are it is a shadow of a true Supernal form. They create a statue from their memories; a tall human figure with several arms and the pale blue skin of a corpse; expression a mask of peace and repose, and arms shaped in mudras meant to calm and relax. They name this figure Yama; encapsulating all their beliefs about death and its role in the world. They seek to understand this god; to aid it in its purpose of easing transitions from life to death and back to life, restoring the natural flow of souls through the universe.

Reaching out, the Necromancer searches the community; visiting cemeteries, funeral homes, occult book stores, following the visions (their Mage Sight) that play out around them until they find someone who has been touched by the pale blue god. This person wears Yama's crown; a prince of the underworld. They veil themselves in their Shadow Persona and reveal to this person one dark night bleak miracles; conjuring forth chained ghosts and offering a chance to aid in the work of releasing them back into the karmic wheel. The person accepts and becomes the next priest of Yama.

The process repeats until they have collected seven such followers (an auspicious number), who are then instructed to recruit others. Lessons are given by the Necromancer who acts as high priest to Yama, guiding the inner circle of seven priests through lessons to awaken further talents within them, while these seven priests guide eighteen initiates (another auspicious number), who, though not gifted themselves, are able to still learn and provide service and, in time, become worthy of an audience with their secret master.

At the heart of all this is the cult's most sacred relic: The statue of Yama, created by the Mage who founded the cult. It's only allowed to be seen by those deemed worthy by the master, but those who do and meditate before it experience visions of the god they worship and the shape of the karmic wheel. Even the Necromancer who founded the cult spends a great deal of time meditating here, for this effect isn't of their doing. Whatever act of inspired divine creation went into creating the statue has changed it. It is more than just a piece of clay now and, the more ghosts they free, the clearer and stronger the visions become.

So yeah. There you go. That was all stream of consciousness. Pick an arcanum, pick a sphere of influence, go to town.

Comment

Well, the player characters were all criminals and so they were never traditionally employed. However after awakening they've continued to "work" by practicing their trade. Now that I think about it all of my NPC Mages either have a Mage job (herald, sentinel, etc) that they do full time or they have a regular day job. For example one of the free council cabals in my chronicle runs a scrapyard together.

Their jobs are coming up in play, although usually they're not the main story. Somewhere in between the two.

Possibly, but I've been storytelling a long time and twisting events to involve everyone at the table is something I've got a lot of practice at. One player is an intensely dedicated cop and has more loyalty to law and order than to the cabal? Okay, what happens when a murder happens at the site where one the Mage caucuses meets and the cop gets assigned to investigate. Look around the table, find whichever player has done the least that session and weave their stories together. Never feel guilty about abusing coincidences to keep the players together and everyone having a good time, that's the one cause which justifies any abuse of Storyteller powers. Besides in a Mage game you can always blame it on the long term nimbus.

Any job which is largely self-directed, involves a lot of travel around the local area, involves a lot of interaction with things and deals with important matters with metaphysical weight.

Jobs with an inflexible structure, stays in the one place (especially a boring place), doesn't have a lot of interactions or deals with trivial matters.

Who hired the staff in that office? They never actually have any managers down in the office because corporate research says its inefficient, instead they just respond to the memos that the managers send to their workstations electronically and everything in the building is monitored. None of them really remember how they got the job either, just one day they were working there.

I don't use the mystery cult rules since they're mathematically broken and I haven't house-ruled them yet.

Comment

I actually think that maintaining a "day job" from your pre-Awakening life adds another dimension and greater value to merits like Shadow Name and Occultation.

Comment

Personally i dislike the whole angle of mage of "live apart of humanity", "secret identities" and "everything is the lie" and thus i make all the mages in my city have human lives and those few that dont i make a point to show how socially inept they are. So my examples are colored by someone who dislike what some would call core concepts of the game.

Depends on every character. Thus far i have a.
                      Mysterium mage who has an antique shop that is maintained exclusively with "pay-the-bills rote" whose store comes into play often as a sort of home base for the pc group but whose magical carrer is a background thing as he doesnt really care about mysteries and fighting the seers....unless they come to knock his door.
                      A mafia mobster who is a Silver Ladder uncrowned king who as a hobby make perfumes. His job comes into play more often than not as he is a influence war.
                      A Romani family elder who has a line of proximi and manage the small crime opposing the mafia mobster. Both are Silver Ladder so their influence war is mundane but quasi present.
                      A navy recruitment official who is the boss-guardian of the veil of the area. His while useful is more of a background thing.
                      An arrow demon wind that he want to rob the mafia guy from his power seat so his magical career is more the background in this case.
                      A bokor funerary attendant.....his jobs come a lot specially considering how he get his "employees"
                      A mage who is the errand boy of a prescint captain, whom he manipulates as to pretend the captain is really the mage.

It really depends, i ask the player what he wanted out of his human life when they made the PCs. Example the lazy mysterium mage player told me he wanted his PC family to be background thing and we showcase both the player and me how sad and lonely his life in the most mundane sense possible so his "human" life doesnt come up in play as much as his relationship with other mages.

However i have had player whose human personal lives were the driving force in the campaign so YMMV i guess.

Ex foreign soldiers, gun dealers, assassins in my experience they are always taken by people who really dont know about the thing they are playing and just want an excuse to get high caliber weapons, having high combat stats and/or weird combat styles.

Well i think one of the most interesting was the mage errand boy. He or better put the captain was a stablish mage in the city, he had talk with other mages in his office but never appeared in "public" under the excuse of fighting the seer influence which he actually does against the Praetorian. So while a little bit suspicious 2 talk in his office just made it clear to the PCs that he is just a mage who is really REALLY into his magical persona separation and he only talk about magic in the security of his office. The truth was that the errand boy was the mage, whenever captain had a meeting in his office he ordered the errand boy to make him a coffee for him and the person whom they are speaking to

"That boy can make a good damm coffee with the shitty machine we have here, its magic i tell you"

Said coffee is the conduct the errand boy uses to manipulate the captain and ride him as puppet. Player never got into the whole act until one of them encounter the captain in a bar and he "acted" as he didnt recognize her that plus a couple of ambigous comments about not taking the work home they got the idea that the captain was just separation mage life from human life again and they just got wise about it after having a 3 months affair.

Comment

Back in 1e, I had a character staking out a city (following clues about the Seers in the area and general corruption) while working full-time as a surgeon. That way, he could continue his fight against the lie as a mage combatant as well as a healer.

Mastigos are fun. (Space 4+, Mind 4+ opened up some ridiculous options.)

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

Each of the PCs in our chronicle has a 'career', and I try to utilize or at the very least refer to them occasionally:

1. An Obrimos who works as a sacristan at a church. He radiates power, but must care for the daily needs of parishioners.

2. A Mastigos hacker and e-sports player. He does well - too well in fact - in the virtual world, but is socially awkward and frustrated in the real world.

3. An Acanthus bartender and mixologist. He seeks to learn magical elixirs and tonics. Lately he has learned to purify alcohol into something potent and dangerous using the swim bladder of merfolk.

4. A Thyrsus conspiracy theorist and political activist. His fringe theories cover how the government or big business preys on regular people.

5. A Mastigos socialite and blogger. Suave and crafty, she's the only PC with regular access to high society.

What happens when the job forces them to go against their Obsession? What if the border between a public professional life and a personal, mystical calling is broken? But what if they intersect? Having a field of work keeps PCs grounded, provides a rich pool of NPCs, and offer opportunities for teasing out the drama.

Comment

I have a real problem on this front - How to not make cabal split because of jobs? Literal example from last game session - In group we have academic profesor, collage student and nurse. First two are free on weekends, so cabals 'active time' is moved there. But nurse have shifts any day of week. How can mage in jobs like that 'miss' they work on cabals call and not be fired?

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                            LGBT+ through Ages
                            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

They can't, that's the whole point, balancing Mage life with mundane life is difficult and many Mages probably can't handle it.

Comment

Working...
                              X