Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can Prime do with Ephemera and Twilight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can Prime do with Ephemera and Twilight?

Ephemeral Enchantment allows a Mage to touch all types of Ephemeral entities, this raises some questions:

1) Can a Prime spell do the opposite and make an Ephemeral entity able to touch the Physical?

2) Can a Prime Spell allow a Mage to see all types of Ephemeral entities?

3) Can a Prime Spell make all Ephemera in its area of effect visible?

4) Can a Prime Spell allow a Mage to become Ephemera similar to Ghost Gate and Twilit Body?

5) (Side Question: Why isn't Ghost Gate a Patterning Spell?)

6) Can a Prime Spell create a barrier that blocks Ephemeral entities without blocking Physical entities?

7) Can a Prime Spell shield against Ephemeral attacks?

8) Can a Prime Spell create Ephemeral objects, possibly via an unusual use or variant of of Platonic Form?

1) Theoretically, yes by essentially creating a "glove" that's solid to them.
    2) No
    3) Probably not except perhaps by creating ephemerally interactive tass that covers them thus rendering them "visible".
    4) No
    5) Because you're not becoming a Mage/Ghost hybrid you're just transitioning from Fallen frequency to Twilight Frequency, becoming made of ephemera is an automatic part of that process which the magic is not directly involved in. The magic is specifically to open access to that frequency.
    6) Probably, but it's likely to require Fate 2 to exclude some targets, in this case physical beings.
    7) I don't think so, though it could protect against the "physical" attacks of ephemeral creatures.
    8) I don't think so.

Comment

I think that Epehemeral Enchantment can interact with Ephemera only because it basically bestows an ideal of "All-Slaying" on the weapon, or something. Though I guess you could create "Ephemeral Barrier" using similar logic, or "Universal Barrier Piercer", hm.

...Is Twilit a word? I always thought that Twilit body is a typo of Twilight Body

Comment

Originally posted by WHW View Post
        ...Is Twilit a word? I always thought that Twilit body is a typo of Twilight Body
        I think it is a past participle created by analogue of light[noun] -> light[present-tense verb] -> lit[past-tense verb/past participle]

Edit: I was wrong, it is a preexisting adjective, but it was probably originally created via the process I described, as that is a common process (filling out a verbification by analogy to another word) and past participles become adjectives all the time.
        Last edited by Custos Tenebrarum; 07-27-2016, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WHW View Post
          I think that Epehemeral Enchantment can interact with Ephemera only because it basically bestows an ideal of "All-Slaying" on the weapon, or something. Though I guess you could create "Ephemeral Barrier" using similar logic, or "Universal Barrier Piercer", hm.

I think it has more to do with the idea of Prime as fundamental truth that underlies everything else. Because Prime is at the root of everything, it can interact with anything. As the spell's description says, it makes an object real enough to cut through all layers of reality.

Comment

If Prime lets a Mage attack all Ephemeral entities and can even cause an item to act as a Bane to one, why couldn't it let them see Ephemeral entities?
            Hmm, it looks like the Reach effect of Supernal Vision might allow the Mage to see Ephemeral entities, or am I misinterpreting how that would interact?

Comment

If Prime can be real enough to effect through all "layers of reality" and it operates on the principles of Truth (There's a ghost there in Twilight.) then yeah, maybe you could pull off seeing into Twilight with a Prime Unveiling spell. Pick one frequency of Twilight, additional frequencies can be added in for a Reach. Seems weirdly like stepping on the toes of the other subtle arcana, but those arcana can get more utility mileage out of their abilities than simply seeing, protecting from and damaging the entities that exist in those frequencies. For instance, I don't think I'd let Prime protect you from Numina and Influences.

Comment

Working...
              X