Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Open Dev]Signs of Sorcery: Sheer Perfection!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Open Dev]Signs of Sorcery: Sheer Perfection!

We have a new Open Dev!

Finally! Perfected materials and alchemy were two of my favourite parts of mage. These look pretty good.

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

These are really cool and have a nice diversity of useful traits.
      I quite like the elaboration on the nature of perfected materials and how they extend beyond the archetypal set, even into the sinister and effective perfected flesh!

Comment

Interesting. I would not have expected for them to have what is traditionally the hardest material (adamant/Adamantium) be glass...and NOT the hardest material. I have no problem with that, just find it interesting.

Comment

I'm so excited about this! I had to take breaks while reading, because I got too excited to sit still and read! This is amazing! I thought of a huge amount of questions while reading this, here are a few:

Is "...metal which scavenges Mana. Called 'dumanium'..." a copy paste error? Does this material also scavenge mana like sophis?

What does dumanium armor do?

Does perfected fire require fuel or just oxygen? Can a patterning spell cause it to not need oxygen and or fuel? Or would that ruin the perfection and revert it to mundane fire?

Can you perfect ephemera?

Can you "alloy" the other non-metal perfected materials?

Can you make perfected light and electricity?

If make a lamp out of perfected materials does that emit perfected light?

If you make a generator out of perfected materials, it the electricity perfected?

Can you make a device which fires a perfected laser beam?

Can you perfect silicon?

Can you perfect data and programs?

If a mage draws someone's blood, perfects it, then immediately put it back, what happens?

If a mage surgically severs an arm, and perfects it, then surgically reattaches it, what happens?

Edit: more questions

If you set perfected wood on fire, does the fire become perfected?

Are there perfected lodestones (or similar permanent magnets) that generate perfected magnetism?

If you made an entire planetoid from perfected materials, would it have perfected gravity?

Is there a perfected alloy (probably based on apeirion) that generates gravity in reasonable (non-planetoid) quantities?
          Last edited by Custos Tenebrarum; 08-12-2016, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Custos Tenebrarum View Post
            I'm so excited about this! I had to take breaks while reading, because I got too excited to sit still and read! This is amazing! I thought of a huge amount of questions while reading this, here are a few:

Is "...metal which scavenges Mana. Called 'dumanium'..." a copy paste error? Does this material also scavenge mana like sophis?

What does dumanium armor do?

Does perfected fire require fuel or just oxygen? Can a patterning spell cause it to not need oxygen and or fuel? Or would that ruin the perfection and revert it to mundane fire?

Can you perfect ephemera?

Can you "alloy" the other non-metal perfected materials?

Can you make perfected light and electricity?

If make a lamp out of perfected materials does that emit perfected light?

If you make a generator out of perfected materials, it the electricity perfected?

Can you make a device which fires a perfected laser beam?

Can you perfect silicon?

Can you perfect data and programs?

If a mage draws someone's blood, perfects it, then immediately put it back, what happens?

If a mage surgically severs an arm, and perfects it, then surgically reattaches it, what happens?

Edit: more questions

If you set perfected wood on fire, does the fire become perfected?

Are there perfected lodestones (or similar permanent magnets) that generate perfected magnetism?

If you made an entire planetoid from perfected materials, would it have perfected gravity?

Is there a perfected alloy (probably based on apeirion) that generates gravity in reasonable (non-planetoid) quantities?
            Mysteries! Mysteries everywhere!

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

First of all: yay, new spoilers! Thank you, Dave!
              And question about Dumanium: what is the benefit of using it as armor? It can have up to 5\5 Armor rating, but you can replicate that with "Aegis" or even without magic at all. Yes, per point of Potency "Forge Dumanium" gives +1 to both general and ballistic armor ratings, while "Aegis" gives +1 to only one of them. But latter can be cast on existing armor, so enchanting simple kevlar vest is almost as potent as using alloy of Perfected metals.
              Dumanium weapons can use mana to make damage aggravated, but armor don't have "spend mana" option. Armor can be used as mana battery, but you can't move mana in or out without Prime 3, which also let you to just create tass.
              So, question is: was Dumanium intended to be mostly offensive material?
              Also, first sentence in spell description says about scavenging Mana, which is probably copy\paste error from "Forge Sophis".
              Last edited by Tauspher; 08-12-2016, 07:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I was literally just thinking it had been a while mere hours ago. This is pretty cool. I clearly need to read up on perfected metals, but there are some neat ideas and hooks here. And the book of perfect skin is just the right kind of grotesque. Love it!

Patreon | He/His Pronouns | Still around, but mostly lurking

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Mysteries! Mysteries everywhere!
                  A mystery we must solve! FOR (magical) SCIENCE!!!!!!

Patreon | He/His Pronouns | Still around, but mostly lurking

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

hmmm,alloys... magical metal... BRANDON SANDERSON! Show yourself you beautiful bastard i read YOUR BOOK

Comment

I wonder if the Wisdom sin for Perfected Blood is less if you only use yourself as a resource.

Comment

What if a mage does this to everything science knows how to remove and reattach (and even somethings that it can't if they have a Life mage on hand). Which might include severing the head perfecting the body and putting it back. They could do the same to large portions of the skull, and all the skin on the head.

If attaching perfected parts works, then they could make someone whose body is over 90% perfected.

Comment

Also question: why is every way of making perfected blood and flesh should be Falling Wisdom sin? There is willing blood donors and you can probably get surgically removed tumor and perfect it. Bonus points if tumor was cancerous: you get yourself organic matter, perfect it, make tidy little book and inscribe your favorite rotes in it. And then by itself grimoire start to grow.

Comment

What if a mage does this to everything science knows how to remove and reattach (and even somethings that it can't if they have a Life mage on hand). Which might include severing the head perfecting the body and putting it back. They could do the same to large portions of the skull, and all the skin on the head.

If attaching perfected parts works, then they could make someone whose body is over 90% perfected.
                            They could even move the mind temporarily into a different body created for just a short while with a Life 4/5 spell and then perfect the at that point empty brain, or use other similar methods. Oh, the possibilities of modern science are endless. After all, 'impossible' is but a different word for 'challenge'.

Although, admittedly, there is already a name for perfecting both body and soul - Ascension, perfecting just the body could have interesting and possibly somewhat unpredictable results. That's what makes it so interesting.

Comment

No mithril? Sadness

Comment

Working...
                              X