How flexible/dramatic are Nimbuses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How flexible/dramatic are Nimbuses?

Nimbi? I'm not good with fancy plurals. Anyway, are there limits to how you can narrate a Nimbus manifesting? Could it appear as a ghostly figure that steps forward and casts the spell? Could it appear as a phantasmal creature representing the spell? Could it cause armor or weapons to appear on the Mage as a representation of the spell's effect? As a very specific example, could I narrate that an Obrimos forces spell issues forth from an array of shimmering golden cannons that fire with the sounds of trumpets, instead of just happening?

It is my understanding that a Nimbus represents the Mage, not the spell cast so it probably wouldn't change much to reflect spells in effect. Other than that I think the only limitation is that it is a local phenomenon centered on the Mage. There have been examples of visual manifestations like your armor and weapons, of sounds such as screaming or Gregorian Chant, smells such as brimstone or honeysuckle, all meant to reflect the nature of the Mage himself.
    To me it sounds like second edition actually asks for two variations on your nimbus, one with a positive effect and one threatening and negative. Still not sure about that though.
    Last edited by 2ptTakrill; 09-15-2016, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Yeah, a Nimbus isn't an effect of the spell being cast, its an effect that always accompanies your mage and flares depending on what you're doing. There are basically three types of Nimbus associated with your characters. A Long-term Nimbus, an Immediate Nimbus and a Signature Nimbus.

The Long-term Nimbus is an effect associated with your characters Path that is always on and warping the world around them to a minor extent (until higher Gnosis, but that's later). This can be minor things like a Thrysus having the potency of alcohol in his immediate area becoming more potent or an Obrimos causing more than normal static electricity to build up in his immediate surrounds.

The Immediate Nimbus is the one most people think about and is the most obvious and flashy. This is the mage being bathed in holy light as they fire off their spells, or shadows leaping and capering across the wall behind the mage. Of note though, these are normally only able to be perceived with mage sight. They also cause tilts which are related to the nature of the nimbus and have to be designed by both you and the ST for your game.

Finally, the Signature Nimbus is probably the most subtle and only comes up when someone is scrutinizing an area where spells were cast previously (and your Immediate Nimbus flared). Its a, unique to you, magical fingerprint you leave behind after casting. With the aforementioned Thrysus and his alcohol potency, it might be a strong smell of honeyed mead or with a foul Sceletus it might be a tactile sensation of a slimy slick of oil coating the hand.

Comment

Ah. That's a bit disheartening. I really wish it was more flavorful.

Comment

It can be just as flavorful as you imagine, certainly most of your requested examples could be part of an Immediate Nimbus, and well not normally effected by whatever spell you cast it would certainly reflect your path. Don't forget it's your game, if you want the Nimbus to reflect your spells and everyone at the table agrees then house rule it.

Comment

It's just a general problem I've had with Mage, is that the magic just doesn't really feel flavorful or fun. It's just "think and something happens". It's definitely not like how magic shows up in horror fiction.

It's the same reason why people objected to not being able to shapeshifting in Beast, though Beast is actually a counterexample; because I've always visualized Atavisms as working by manifesting a phantasmal image of part of your horror, which is pretty cool.

Comment

I'll admit the reason I was never that interested in Mage: the Ascension was because the spheres didn't feel like 'magic' with a 'c' to me, cool as the paradigm theory is. Personally I'm hoping Signs of Sorcery will help add a 'wizard' feel to the game. I really like the idea of Reach and Yantras for that reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Geckopirateship View Post
                It's just a general problem I've had with Mage, is that the magic just doesn't really feel flavorful or fun.
                You clearly did not used Yantra system then...

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                LGBT+ through Ages
                LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

----Expert from a recent session-----
                  Lorraine: A young Law Student that experienced some strong Hallucinations. She dreamed she was "Lagertha"
                  "Cumberbatch": A police officer that saved Lorraine from some men-in-black and took her in an issolated coffee shop to talk about magick.
                  "But... I don't know how. Do I say some magic words or something?" -Lorraine, with tones between disappointment and disbelief in her voice.
                  "It would help but you don't actually need to. Just conjure what you want to do in your mind and will it into existence" -Cumberbatch, a-matter-of-fact

Lorraine had enough of this. She lost the morning’s lecture because of some stupid nightmare, she lost the midday’s lecture because weird men in black chased her in class and was about to loose the rest because a policeman nicknamed "Cumberbatch" was asking her to order coffee with her mind.

"This is so stupid..." -Lorraine

Without knowing why she even tries, Lorraine stands up, goes to the edge of the mezzanine and glares the barista below, her mind set on possessing him.
                  The Mind Arcanum in her Soul hears her inner call, her chains in Pandemonium now broken. Her Fallen Self is connected with her Supernal Path as Ravens of Shadows form through inner daemons she didn’t knew she had.

Her nimbus is Ravens of Shadow (Ravens, Norwegian Shadowname) and Broken Chains (Independence, Liberation)

But the torrent of Ravens is too strong. A tear appears briefly in the link between her Soul and Pandemonium. The channel simply can’t hold the intensity of the Supernal Symbolism she asked for.

In pain, her Soul reaches for something less profane to affect the Fallen World.

Possession (Making Mind of Potency) "I possess the barista"
                  +1R: for trying something with higher Arcana. She can't cast Possession so she casts (House Rule)

Psychic Domination (Ruling Mind of Potency) “I command the barista”
                  +1R: for complex task (see spell) "Make Coffee and bring it to me"
                  +1R: To cast as 1 turn instead of 3 hours
                  +1R: To cast at distance without need to touch or aim
                  +1R: To increase duration to one scene
                  Total Reach 3 -> Paradox = 3dice -> Storyteller rolls -> 2 Paradox Success. That means the spell is about to go wrong. She can spends one mana mana to reduce Paradox Successes by one.

Terrified, she spends raw magic to stabilize the Imago, but the breach spreads way too fast and the torrent of ravens goes out of control. Lagertha feels the Abyssal forces trying to alter her spell and decides to shield it with the only thing she has left, her soul.

The breach between her Soul and Pandemonium heals, leaving the horrors of the Non-Existence outside the mortal Realms. But not before scaring the novice caster’s Soul.
                  …..
                  Back in the coffee shop, drops of blood fall from Lorraine’s nostrils and black veins appear on her right hand.
                  …..
                  Then the Imago suddenly returns to order. The crows know by now what they’ve been called to do. They fly and shove their beaks into the barista’s brain transmiting directly the Supernal will of Lagertha.
                  …..
                  Lorraine watches in awe and pain as the equally surprised man is making another Macchiato without knowing why.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowjim12 View Post
                    Total Reach 3 -> Paradox = 3dice -> Storyteller rolls -> 2 Paradox Success. That means the spell is about to go wrong. She can spends one mana mana to reduce Paradox Successes by one.
                    Mana expenditure reduces the Paradox Dice Pool, not Paradox successes.

Comment

Originally posted by lnodiv View Post
                      Mana expenditure reduces the Paradox Dice Pool, not Paradox successes.
                      Woops,... I stand corrected. Thank you

Anyway, I just wanted to share the Imago/Nimbus description. For me they are interelated.

On the same session, Lorraine/Lagertha (PC) used mage sight and saw one of her professors "Chained and used as a puppet" while he was under the influence of Psychic Domination. I think it is more evocative than say "The spell is mind 2" or "Has traces of mind magic".

Comment

It's the same reason why people objected to not being able to shapeshifting in Beast, though Beast is actually a counterexample; because I've always visualized Atavisms as working by manifesting a phantasmal image of part of your horror, which is pretty cool.
                        That's official not just your visualization by the way. It's just that only supernaturals can see the image.

Genius templates: Super Science Mini-Template for Demon: the Descent

Oracle the Endbringers: Time-Manipulator Fan-Splat

Comment

Nimbi? I'm not good with fancy plurals. Anyway, are there limits to how you can narrate a Nimbus manifesting? Could it appear as a ghostly figure that steps forward and casts the spell? Could it appear as a phantasmal creature representing the spell? Could it cause armor or weapons to appear on the Mage as a representation of the spell's effect? As a very specific example, could I narrate that an Obrimos forces spell issues forth from an array of shimmering golden cannons that fire with the sounds of trumpets, instead of just happening?
                          I have a question about your very specific example and the Obrimos using a Forces spell...

Is this the Nimbus you want for your Obrimos? Or is this something specific to the spell; like, you are using the Forces magic to create a thunderous trumpeting sound or blast?

Comment

Originally posted by Troy View Post

I have a question about your very specific example and the Obrimos using a Forces spell...

Is this the Nimbus you want for your Obrimos? Or is this something specific to the spell; like, you are using the Forces magic to create a thunderous trumpeting sound or blast?
                            I'd prefer her Nimbus to manifest as gears and machine parts around her that make her seem as if she's wearing golden clockwork armor when she casts magic, since her Awakening heavily focused on deist concepts of divine machinery and crystal spheres. I want spells to manifest as tools or weapons appearing on the armor: a Forces attack summons a row of trumpet-shaped cannons that fire whatever it is the spell fires, telekinesis appears as spidery mechanical arms extending from the armor to manipulate objects, a flight spell would make wings or engines extend from the armor, and sensory spells cause a shining eyepiece to drop down from the helmet that she looks through.

Comment

I'd prefer her Nimbus to manifest as gears and machine parts around her that make her seem as if she's wearing golden clockwork armor when she casts magic, since her Awakening heavily focused on deist concepts of divine machinery and crystal spheres. I want spells to manifest as tools or weapons appearing on the armor: a Forces attack summons a row of trumpet-shaped cannons that fire whatever it is the spell fires, telekinesis appears as spidery mechanical arms extending from the armor to manipulate objects, a flight spell would make wings or engines extend from the armor, and sensory spells cause a shining eyepiece to drop down from the helmet that she looks through.
                              All of that sounds extremely awesome and if I were your ST I would I have no problem letting that be how your magic manifests. Another thing I'd suggest for you to consider: If your spell is going to end up being Vulgar... meaning that it will draw paradox whether your have witnesses or not and stuff like that... it's going to be very blatant, like telekinesis or whatever... You can make it look however you like. You have an unlimited visual effect budget. There's no difference between telekinesis where stuff just moves on it's own, or clockwork spider appendages manipulate items, or gusts of winds move items, or a giant glowing green hand, or spirits/ghost move the object... It's your mage's style and Nimbus and signature magic. It's very cool.

It would be cool if someone examining the traces of your magic recognizes it by the faint sounds of tick-tock-tick-tock and the scent of gear oil...

I think your idea is acceptable.

Comment

Working...
                              X