Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HaplessWithDice
    • Nov 2013

So wow, umm I was going to ask if having the image tree bearing fruit of exceeding white appear behind my mage is a good Nimbus for my Obrimos.

The tree is a symbol in a vision from the prophet Lehi and a representation of God's Love.

Comment

• Geckopirateship
      Banned
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Troy View Post

All of that sounds extremely awesome and if I were your ST I would I have no problem letting that be how your magic manifests. Another thing I'd suggest for you to consider: If your spell is going to end up being Vulgar... meaning that it will draw paradox whether your have witnesses or not and stuff like that... it's going to be very blatant, like telekinesis or whatever... You can make it look however you like. You have an unlimited visual effect budget. There's no difference between telekinesis where stuff just moves on it's own, or clockwork spider appendages manipulate items, or gusts of winds move items, or a giant glowing green hand, or spirits/ghost move the object... It's your mage's style and Nimbus and signature magic. It's very cool.

It would be cool if someone examining the traces of your magic recognizes it by the faint sounds of tick-tock-tick-tock and the scent of gear oil...

I think your idea is acceptable.
      Thank you! That was very helpful, and I'm glad you like my idea.

Comment

• 2ptTakrill
        • May 2015

Originally posted by HaplessWithDice View Post
        So wow, umm I was going to ask if having the image tree bearing fruit of exceeding white appear behind my mage is a good Nimbus for my Obrimos.

The tree is a symbol in a vision from the prophet Lehi and a representation of God's Love.
        ​It's actually very similar to angel wings, pillars of light or dancing shadows. The Obrimos sense of having been called by a higher, divine, purpose also fits.

Comment

• HaplessWithDice
          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by 2ptTakrill View Post

​It's actually very similar to angel wings, pillars of light or dancing shadows. The Obrimos sense of having been called by a higher, divine, purpose also fits.
          And Nimbus Tilt? Is that chosen in advance or is it unique to the moment?

Comment

• 2ptTakrill
            • May 2015

I believe the Tilt is chosen when first designing the Nimbus.

Comment

• Maina
              • Dec 2013

You can "completely rework" the Nimbus Tilt every time you raise Gnosis. Otherwise it stays the same.

Comment

• HaplessWithDice
                • Nov 2013

Originally posted by 2ptTakrill View Post
                I believe the Tilt is chosen when first designing the Nimbus.
                Any good ideas for what would be fitting for my character?
                Last edited by HaplessWithDice; 09-17-2016, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• Zombiecakes
                  • Oct 2015

Originally posted by HaplessWithDice View Post

Any good ideas for what would be fitting for my character?

The TIlt is chosen, but you can rework every time you gain a point of Gnosis. Edit: Ooh, Maina beat me to it.

Comment

• HaplessWithDice
                    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Zombiecakes View Post

The TIlt is chosen, but you can rework every time you gain a point of Gnosis. Edit: Ooh, Maina beat me to it.
                    Still I'm not sure what to choose, a feeling of deep fatherly (love? Disappointment? Reproach?) that...has some sort of mechanical effect?

Comment

• Maina
                      • Dec 2013

A tilt for a Nimbus that causes a feeling of fatherly love might grant a bonus to Composure if it makes you feel protected by a higher power. It might grant Resolve if it inspires you to do greater deeds for said power. Maybe both. Remember that the Tilt can give bonus or malus or even both, depending on what fits the fluff. People can choose not to resist a Tilt, after all, but your enemies have no reason to avoid resisting if they don't know your Tilt is beneficial.

There can also be skill malus/bonus. My character's tilt gives a pacifying aura of peace and gives a malus to weaponry/brawl/firearms, for example. She has Potent Nimbus, so she managed to spread the penalty over three skills.

Comment

• Geckopirateship
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2015

Hm, would it be possible to work it so that the Nimbus conceals the character's identity when active? Like, it acts as a representation of their Shadow Name/Persona and causes a mask to appear on them, or would that need to be houseruled?

Comment

• Gullinbursti
                          • Mar 2015

A nimbus could appear as things like a mask, however, a nimbus is unique to your character and after flaring leaves the signature nimbus. So while it may obscure your features, it actually marks out who you are to other mages who know/know of you. Also don't forget that typically, Sleeper witnesses can't even see the nimbus, so would just see you.

Comment

• Maina
                            • Dec 2013

Worth noting two things:

1. Sleeper witnesses do see the Nimbus if you deliberately flare it by spending mana, but they'll rationalize it away like all Supernal magic.

2. The Nimbus only lasts for a few seconds at most, so it's not very useful as a disguise even if it did mask your identity.

Comment

• Geckopirateship
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2015

Ah. Would it be possible to hack it to make it last longer? That would be better for the armor idea I mentioned before.

Comment

• Mrmdubois
                                • Apr 2014

The Nimbus is always there, if a Mage looks at you with Focused Mage Sight he'll see it. If you want to make the visual effect last longer, use Prime. The Nimbus is under its purview.

Comment

Working...