Building a golem and/or mech

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a golem and/or mech

I'm wondering, what spheres/materials/expertise would it take to create an ambulatory construct? First, what would be needed to create, say, a giant clockwork spider that a Mage could control directly or remotely? Then, what would be needed to make a giant clockwork spider that can operate independently?

In magical traditions there is a rote for making a golem old school kabbalah style.

You've been playing around the magic that is black
    But all the powerful magical mysteries never gave a single thing back

Comment

Making a golem is a Matter 3 spell in the 2e core. All the details you could want are there.

Comment

Originally posted by Axelgear View Post
        Making a golem is a Matter 3 spell in the 2e core. All the details you could want are there.
        Golem is Patterning actually.

"There is a remedy for everything but death, a hope for everything but wickedness, and everything will lapse except righteousness."

Comment

Originally posted by ManusDomine View Post

Why is that anyway? It seems so close to Quicken Corpse in function.

Comment

Probably because you're warping it from straight Matter into a sort of pseudo-entity, the number of traits or properties that change are more than one which is Weaving, so the next step up is Patterning.

Comment

Originally posted by ManusDomine View Post
              You are correct. I was mixing it up with zombies.

Comment

A Spider drone I would say would require Space 2, Matter 3.
                A giant spider mech with a cockpit would require matter 3, resources 5, even if you Megas XLR the thing.
                Magical power armor...Would require matter 3, prime 4 (for the attainment), and allowing the ST to slap you with a soft bound edition of Exalted's Book of Sorcerery 1: Wonders of the Lost Age until their arm goes numb.

Edit: I am suddenly wanting to make magical power armor...
                Edit 2: It probably would help me keep up with the werewolves I'll be running with....
                Last edited by HaplessWithDice; 09-17-2016, 12:08 AM.

Comment

There are some clockwork creatures in the Night Horrors book, Unbidden. It has a template for them but I believe they were a certain special kind of pseudo-artifact created long ago and wouldn't necessarily be the only way to create them. I don't recall if it mentions how they were created in the first place, for that matter.

There's also at least one kind of golem and one kind of homunculus. But, again, I don't know off-hand if it gets into how they were created as much as why they are annoyances to mages.

Comment

As far as something like a mech is concerned, Forces is a bit of a godsend. We actually have the tech to make mechs right now, we just lack a power source small/mobile enough to be convenient, Forces (and maybe even Prime) can take care of these problems.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSypher View Post
                      Why is that anyway? It seems so close to Quicken Corpse in function.
                      You warp the Matter to do something it probably isn't supposed to. If you already had something like, say a mech then it would probably me Ruling or Weaving to get it to move.

"There is a remedy for everything but death, a hope for everything but wickedness, and everything will lapse except righteousness."

Comment

Gotcha. Now, what about the second question? Basically, creating a simple AI using magic.

Comment

Mind 5 give it Influece: Machines, or Computers or whatever. Or Forces 4 create a Golem program. Etc.

Comment

The Golem spell, already mentioned, answers the AI question.

It gets a basic one for free as part of the spell.

You can also bind a Spirit, Ghost, or Goetia into it and let it pilot the golem for you. As mentioned in the spell write-up.

Could probably also create a mind for it with Mind 5, but that's not really 'simple AI' anymore.

Comment

Working...
                            X