Smashing the mirror: using Supernal magic for inter-universal travel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smashing the mirror: using Supernal magic for inter-universal travel

I'm a huge fan of ChroD plots that involve alternate universes (I've mentioned my Multiverse Of Darkness theory elsewhere), and it seems like Mages are one of the splats best equipped for that sort of thing (Demons are about tied with them in that regard). So, how do you imagine the various factions view other universes, if they exist? Surely mages have tried to reach them, given their propensity for investigating mysteries and experimenting with occult secrets. What sort of spheres would you need to start work on an interdimensional craft? Perhaps the various universes are separated by the Abyss, and that's why travel between them is so hard. Maybe the existence of parallel universes is something the Seers actively suppress, because they don't want the other worlds finding out about them? Maybe they picked up evidence of the Technocracy or the Lemurians (or the Yozis, or the Invisible Clergy, or the Chaos Gods, or the Seven Demiurges or however deep you want to go) and wants to keep the universes separate to avoid a confrontation?

What's funny is at least in my groups CofD universe there is a multiverse. Populated by alternate versions of people. With differing things about them. Mages are able to view alternate Realities with space 1, Prime 1, fate 1 but travel to an alternate timeline require 5 dots in Space, Time, Prime, and Fate to travel to one which is why no mage has done more than grab objects and information form alternate realities.

Comment

Why Fate?.

Comment

One of the cities in the core has a connection to an alternate reality of some sort. I would think the biggest obstacle to such travel is the lack of a sympathetic connection, you have to know the place you are traveling to.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
          Why Fate?.
          Because it's an alternate timeline you can only find it by not just translocation in space and time but fates and outcomes. Like the one Alternate Timeline where the coin flip came up tails instead of heads and you didn't have that fateful romantic encounter. Or you turned left instead of right and didn't meet the mad man with the blue box.

Comment

I wouldn't have alternative time lines always separated by the abyss. Some totally are, and some exist in the Abyss as corrupted histories. Other things guarding alternate time lines and universes could be the God Machine, Archmages, and the Exarchs.

If you wanted to have the abyss separating time lines, then I would have these other high level entities be involved too. The Ruin - the Exarch of Fate, Archmages trying to protect the time line they see as preserving the Pax Arcana, and the God Machine trying to prevent apocalyptic events and other things which interfere with its plans.

Comment

Originally posted by AForgeForThoughts View Post
              I wouldn't have alternative time lines always separated by the abyss. Some totally are, and some exist in the Abyss as corrupted histories. Other things guarding alternate time lines and universes could be the God Machine, Archmages, and the Exarchs.

If you wanted to have the abyss separating time lines, then I would have these other high level entities be involved too. The Ruin - the Exarch of Fate, Archmages trying to protect the time line they see as preserving the Pax Arcana, and the God Machine trying to prevent apocalyptic events and other things which interfere with its plans.
              The Abyss? I never mentioned it or thought to include it. Though I do agree that things like the God Machine, The Ruin, and other powerful supernatural beings (Luna, Heilos for example) do their best to keep intruders out a crafty enough mage could slip by them by inserting themselves into that time line. Hence why Fate magic is needed as well as time and space.

Comment

Working...
              X