No announcement yet.

[2E Legacy] Thaumatech Engineers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like this but I'd change the Prime 3 optional to one that represents a Sparks ability to inspire loyalty in underlings. The Voice of Fire allows you to slap someone with Inspired if they obey you or Guilty if they don't. If you made a version of that spell that focused less on truth and more on channeling your true platonic self to convince others of your genius, one that only worked on mundanes. It would be a better fit to the mad scientists that Sparks are.

Comment

Originally posted by Bauran View Post
      I like this but I'd change the Prime 3 optional to one that represents a Sparks ability to inspire loyalty in underlings. The Voice of Fire allows you to slap someone with Inspired if they obey you or Guilty if they don't. If you made a version of that spell that focused less on truth and more on channeling your true platonic self to convince others of your genius, one that only worked on mundanes. It would be a better fit to the mad scientists that Sparks are.
      I think you mean Words of Truth?

I love it, though creating "minions" is a bit off-theme inspiring creative and scientific genius is definitely on-point (as is chastising those that turn away from the possibilities). I think I'll just go ahead and implement that right now, way less boring than *Channel Mana*.

Thanks so much!

[Edit] Updated, let me know what you think, please.
      Last edited by proindrakenzol; 10-22-2016, 08:31 PM.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

I like your take on it, my idea was more along the lines of if I do what Dr. Proton says I get inspired, if I disobey or fail I feel guilty until Dr. Proton forgives me. Less about speaking objective truth and more about I'm brilliant so what I say is obviously right. I was inspired by the entry in the girl genius wik (http://girlgenius.wikia.com/wiki/Spark) where it talks about how Sparks gather minions from whom they inspire either loyalty or obedient fear.

But the brilliant scientist trying to get through to lesser minds also works in this interpretation.

Comment

After mulling this legacy over for a while (years!), and with the release of Signs of Sorcery, I'm planning on making two significant changes, and would like to read everyone's thoughts.

First, I'm planning on tweaking the second attainment's primary portion to make use of the Matter 2 Attainment Permanence and use the extra reach to allow for Instant casting. So, rather than taking the Spark an hour to gain control over something, it is instantaneous but costs a point of mana, while retaining its advanced duration and ability to engage in complex tasks.

Second, I'm planning on changing the third secondary attainment. While I like the Words of Truth effect, I ultimately want the focus of this Legacy to be on the crafting itself, and with the release of Signs of Sorcery there are three new spells that really fit the theme. This is the big one I want feedback on, as it's treating what is presented as three separate spells (Energize Object, Spell Potion, and Stored Spell) as one spell with two options (essentially, as if Stored Spell were the spell and it simply had Matter 3 and Forces 3 options).

While multi-use items are often preferred, single use items are both easier to craft and capable of storing the spells of other Mages. With an hour of preparation and a point of mana, a Spark can prime an item to store spells within it for future release. Placing a spell within the item costs a point of mana for the casting Mage (if the Spark is the one implanting the spell there is no additional cost if the spell is implanted as part of the crafting), but the spell is automatically relinquished from the casting Mage’s control without additional cost. The target of the spell is whoever is touching the item. If the item is ingestible (i.e. food or drink), then it can be consumed; if the Spark also has Forces 3, then a kinetic trigger may be specified for releasing the spell; otherwise a point of mana must be spent to activate the item. This Attainment functions similarly to Spell Potion (if made to be consumed), Energize Object (if given a kinetic trigger), or Stored Spell (Signs of Sorcery pp 69-70) with reach assigned to Advanced Duration.

Mentats - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Mind/Forces) built around being a human computer; Thaumatech Engineers - a 2e Free Council Obrimos Legacy (Matter/Prime) focusing on the creation of Imbued items and the enhancement of Sleeper technology

Comment

The changes make the first Attainment becomes a lot more practical, now they can prepare their labs and tools to be a lot more useful. If they have the mana to burn, they can gain command of key tech or traps in the area.

The changes on the third one feel a lot more focused on the theme, it reminds me of tulpa from Werewolf, a quick fix but very useful nonetheless. Words of Truth made sense as a way to convince people to adopt new ideas, but the final Attainment does that a lot better. Because the other Attainments feel more focused on creating wonders, the sudden shift to promoting was appropriate, but it broke the flow a bit.

Overall, these are some pretty nice changes, I would say go for it.

New experiences are the font of creativity, when seeking inspiration, break your routine.

The Agathos Kai Sophos, an Acanthus Legacy of strategists

Comment

Working...
            X