​ [2E fan] Stone Scribes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ​ [2E fan] Stone Scribes

I was asked by HaplessWithDice to help with Stone Scribes Legacy update to 2E, so here we have topic on that. Original Legacy was presented in Legacy: The Sublime, on page 95. First post will be edited when more things will be hammered out for Namers.
    Stone Scribes

Origins

Parentage: Moros or Mysterium
    Appearance & Background: Legacy: The Sublime, on page 95-96.

Doctrine

Prerequisites: Time 2, Academics 2
    Initiation: Initiate need to research stories of 10 notable Scribes and summon at least one of them by Final Name.
    Organization: Legacy: The Sublime, on page 96.
    Nickname: Namers ( Left-Hand offshoot is called Name Takers )
    Theory: Name is what we are. Name is changing are whole life. Speak someone’s Name, and the listener will think about Name-Bearer as he know him. There is locked knowledge of someone in their Name. But only if it’s Final Name, the one they had in moment of their death, this knowledge will be complete. Collect Final Names of those that died to be able to summon their real persona.

Magic

Ruling Arcanum: Time
    Yantras: Writing or invoking Final Name ( +1 ), Making Gematria calculations (+2).
    Oblations: Collecting Final Name of dying one, Archiving Final Names on lasting medium, Sorting archives of Final Names, Making Gematria calculations to find Final Names of Atlantis Kings.

Attainments

First: Final Name
    Prerequisites: Initiation
    When looking on subject, Stone Scribes can mark their Final Name as complex Mana pattern they see in their Sight. When the later can see Final Name pattern, they instantly can see all the past of Name-Bearer. It works as Postcognition on concentration with free Reach used on speeding or slowing past events of Name-Bearer.
    Optional: Death 1
    If Name-Bearer had left ghost, Stone Scribe can always felt it by invoking Final Name alone. More, he can communicate by using the Name. This power works as Speak With The Dead, but it’s limited only to ghost of Name-Bearer after invoking Final Name. Reach is spent on instant activation.

Second: Final Place
    Prerequisites: Time 2, Academics 2, Crafts 1
    By recording Final Name in lasting medium ( for example, the stone ), Scribe can fix it so no other can change it’s past, once and for all. It works as Constant Presence with Reach used to work as Lasting spell, but it needs one hour of carving in medium the Final Name.
    Optional: Death 2
    If Name-Bearer has ghost, this being is instantly protected from harm of other shades same second once Final Name is carved. It works as Ghost Shield with Reach option used for physical attacks.

Third: Final Summoning
    Prerequisites: Time 3, Academics 2, Crafts 2
    By invoking Final Name of places or objects, Scribe can restore them to their once state. It works as Temporal Summoning with Reach used on changing Primary Factor from Potency to Duration and need 1 hour activation.
    Optional: Death 3
    By invoking Final Name of person, Scribe can summon to him ghost of it, if it’s exists. It works as Ghost Summons, but can summon shade wherever he is in Tapestry. Power needs 1 hour activation.

Fourth: Final Journey
    Prerequisites: Death 4, Academics 3, Crafts 2
    By invoking Final Name, Scribe can travel back in time to any point of personal timeline of Name-Bearer and can take along anyone that is touching Scribe. He can then stay as long as Duration in his Time dots lets him, but his actions cannot change anything, even if he tries – he is experiencing ‘fixed’ past only. Activation takes 1 hour of mediation on the Final Name.
    Optional: Death 4
    Becoming simple shadow on the wall is handy trick on journeys to previous lives. It works as Shadow Flesh and has Instant Activation. Scribe can change along anyone that is touching him.

Fifth: Final Rest
    Prerequisites: Time 5, Academics 3, Crafts 3
    Final Name is final essence of person. Highest Stone Scribes can change people lives by changing their Final Names, before preserving them. It works as Corridors of Time cast on subjects timeline. Scribe can change past events, that then changes present Final Name. Power has Instant Activation. Once Name is carved by Final Place Attainment, it cannot be changed.
    Optional: Death 5
    By invoking the Final Name of it, Scribe can create ghost of Name-Bearer even if there was no one before. It works as Create Ghost and being will exist as long as Final Name he is connected to it. Power has Instant Activation.

Hopes you like them! Any comments are more than welcome.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 10-15-2016, 04:19 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

You seem to have missed the part where Stone Scribes take on the identities of people whose Final Names they've scribed. I was thinking something like giving themselves the Open Condition for possession by ghosts, and if they have a Final Name they can invoke it even if there isn't a ghost.

In a sense the Final Name -is- a kind of ghost if we're going with the theory that's generally accepted that ghosts aren't people but an echo left behind by a dead person the Final Name has exactly the same function really.

Comment

So enought would just to rewritten 3rd Attainment in Legacy as it is:

Third: Final Summoning
      Prerequisites: Time 3, Academics 2, Crafts 2
      By invoking Final Name of places or objects, Scribe can restore them to their once state. It works as Temporal Summoning with Reach used on changing Primary Factor from Potency to Duration and need 1 hour activation.
      Optional: Death 3
      By invoking Final Name of person, Scribe can open one self to the ghost of Name-Bearer. It works as giving Scribe himself Open Condition for the entity called with Ghost Summons, but can summon shade wherever he is in Tapestry. Power needs 1 hour activation.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I think I'd chuck Temporal Summoning, the Stone Scribes don't try to bring things back but to preserve what's already there. They also work to identify who is connected with who stretching as far back into the past as possible because they believe doing so will eventually uncover the ghosts from the Time Before. I also just realized you've got nothing there that deals with Momentary Names.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrmdubois View Post
          Not sure where to drop this, so here works I guess? My take on mechanics Stone Scribes in 2e.
          Legacy: Stone Scribes

“Name” - an inscription that embodies everything a person is and has experienced thus far. Finalized at moment of death.

Death + Optional TIme

#1: Soul Marks
          Death 1, -- Get the True Name of the dead or the present name of the living.
          Learn Health of soul, & 1 soul mark per potency
          Soul Marks = persistent conditions, Awakened?, A supernatural being? (not what kind), Have they created a soul stone?, Have they been soul-tampered?, If they are possessed?, Are there Gnosis 5+ Legacy attainments? (not what they are)?, Have they eaten or otherwise consumed another soul?, Are they suffering from Paradox Conditions? (not what they are).

Optional: Time 1
          You may know when a soulmark was acquired.

1 reach - Instant action

#2: Death 2 (Speak with Dead)
          The mage may interview the Final Name in whatever form it is recorded in as if it was a ghost. The name is not capable of performing actions; it is simply a conversational receptacle for information the individual knew at the time of the name being recorded. Language barriers do not apply. May sense Anchors within Sensory Range

Optional: time 2
          The mage may treat the name as if it was the individual for the purposes of post-cogging, by seeing the past editions of the Name and how it evolved.

Death 3: The Mage may spend an Instant Action and gain 8-again on the next interaction with an Anchor that would've tied to a Name if it were a ghost at the time it was taken down.
          Optional: Time 3
          The mage may use Anchors from the past iterations of the Name (relative to its time of inscription), not just its present.

Reach: 1, for Advanced Duration. Non-instant effect

#4: Death 4, You can perform a Ritual, at the end of which you Assume the True Name. This gives you all their Anchors ; most notably causing the other halves of that connection to react to you as they would to the owner of the original Name. Your Vice and Virtue, Resonance and Aura, soul marks, etc. become disguised as though they were the original Name’s owner at the time of inscription.

Optional: time 4
          You acquire up to your Time dots in skill or merit dots that the original owner of the Name had.

This effect lasts one scene. Once the ritual is finished casting, the Caster may speak the name of the individual and that is when the power’s effects begin their ticking duration clock. You may only have one ritual mostly completed at a time. You must perform the ritual again after completing it once.

#5: Death 5
          You can create a Ghost of any name. This is a ritual cast and lasts a year; it serves you as a loyal servant.

Optional: time 5
          You no longer have to Ritual cast any of these attainments.

Since you insisted.

Comment

So to clarify a bit on the idea behind the design there, the Stone Scribes ascribe to the idea that the Final Name is a bit like a very weak ghost. It's a remnant left over by the person who died. Momentary names can be generated by the living as well as they shuffle off old descriptors of themselves and grow their identity they just naturally leave behind old names like fragmentary ghosts. The names fully define what the person was up to that point that it sloughed off, but they're not fully realized entities like ghosts are.

In 1e the Stone Scribes also studied and took on the Sympathies of the names that they collected and studied. I figured the most sensible correlation to that in Death is the relation between a ghost and its Anchor(s). So I gave some benefit there, and I also liked that it gives the Stone Scribes a reason to collect things dead people used to own instead of just the names.

There isn't a Scribe Name attainment because ultimately I decided that should really only take Death 1 and look similar to Scribe Grimoire.
            Last edited by Mrmdubois; 12-01-2016, 07:43 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure I'm okay with interpretation based on Anchors - ghost Anchors quickly dissolve, in reality.

LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I was under the impression that they eventually decay or die depending on their nature. What makes you sure that they decay quickly?

Comment

Anchors are people and places - people die in at most nearly century, most earlier ( as the become Anchor in their later life ). Building have more or less the same duration. Stone Scribes looks for Sympathies that should last millenia.

LGBT+ through Ages
                  LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Just because most material Anchors are destroyed in a relatively short time span doesn't mean it's in the nature of Anchors to dissolve. In fact, buildings, places and objects that have been preserved through millennia are completely valid anchors for ghosts that are just as old.
                    Potential immaterial Anchors and Anchor-like concepts are not implied to naturally decay because normal Anchors don't naturally decay.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                      Anchors are people and places - people die in at most nearly century, most earlier ( as the become Anchor in their later life ). Building have more or less the same duration. Stone Scribes looks for Sympathies that should last millenia.

They exploit Temporal Sympathy for that. And magic can preserve Anchors that are objects if they're important enough. Otherwise Stone Scribes exploit the Temporal Sympathy in the name. Heck, if your bummed that a name your using is a few centuries old then just use Time and/or Death to get the Anchor back for a while.

Comment

I made a mistake, I overlooked the fact that Soul Marks has a Withstand so it makes a terrible attainment because of the lack of flexibility in Potency. I'm going to change the 1st attainment to Scribe Name which takes a scene but is Lasting and costs a mana. To find out a target's Name should be a Reach option on Soul Marks which the Scribes teach as a Rote (usually with Empathy as the Keyed skill). I may have to change the Time 1 Optional as well, but I haven't had a good idea for that yet.

Comment

Working...
                        X