(Spoilers) So, Dawn of Heresies...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Spoilers) So, Dawn of Heresies...

I'm surprised there isn't a topic set up already, but.. here is one! Mind you, this one is intended to have not only spoilers for the Novel, but for the mummy line in general.

Okay. To start of, serious kudos. I was enthralled enough to read through it in one sitting. Considering that (Id have to double check to confirm) the whole novel uses ONLY material from the Core Book, and not even all of it, it was juicy and delicious. Every character was so interesting, especially Fiona and the Lingerer. This is exactly the way a starting, core book Mummy story should be, it had all of it. Relics, Sybaris, slumber, sothis. Everything. Loved that.

But... on the other hand, the novel does lean slightly on the developer-discredited theory that the Judges and Shaniatu were mortal men, the ones who ended up on top (or bottom if you ask the deceived) of the deal. The problem is... god, this story makes that sound like the best, juiciest, and most obvious answer. Even considering the spoilers of Book of the Deceived and Dreams of Avarice, which still left a lot of questions unanswered, this does seem to have been poignant, painful, and perfect. If the Shan'Iatu really did break time, the other information would still be possible. Anyone else have any opinions on that, pro or con?

Its hard not to think of this as cannon. Rawhead is a far, FAR more interesting "signature Shuanksen" than Roller is. And if Sacmis thinks much the same as he does, woe is the world.

So, everyone's comments, ideas? Favorite characters? Favorite little reference, favorite rule used as plot (I loved Sybaris)? Any complaints?

Originally posted by Cleverest of Things View Post
    Its hard not to think of this as cannon. Rawhead is a far, FAR more interesting "signature Shuanksen" than Roller is. And if Sacmis thinks much the same as he does, woe is the world.
    I mean, the Avarice Chronicle at times felt like it had been written by someone who hadn't actually read the Mummy book in very close detail There were a couple of moments where I was genuinely taken aback. Important NPCs being killed by the Roller and then being "dead", rather than waking up in a spare body a few hours later with 1-2 less Sekhem, springs to mind as an example.

As for the rest I look forward to being able to contribute once I've actually had a chance to buy and read the book. Alas, the fate of all of us who came to Mummy too late.

Comment

Working...
    X