Dawn of Heresies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dawn of Heresies

Psst... want to get some heresy? Dawn of Heresies is on sale.

Discuss.

CofD booklists:
    Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mummy | Promethean

Well, I for one certainly appreciate the dark humour in Iremite cultists quoting Call of Cthulhu for practical, sound advise when dealing with things scarier than the Arisen.

CofD booklists:
    Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mummy | Promethean

Comment

Spoilers, obviously.

It's an interesting throwback to when we only had the Mummy core book, before later expansions (namely Book of the Deceived and Dreams of Avarice) dug into the truth behind the Shan'iatu and the Judges. The flashback sequences read like (excellent) fan fiction from that period, though it throws up all sorts of interesting chronology questions. Since I'ra'em is described as being a lot less advanced than what we know of Irem (clubs in place of mystic bronze swords, shamans in place of masked priests, no craft houses to speak of that may be the nascent or less structured form of the Guilds) and we only have one character behave like a Shan'iatu and even then it's for, like, a few months at most (not to mention the aborted attempt at the Rite of Return) my assumption is that the events in those flashbacks take place long before Irem becomes a true Empire ruled by the Shan'iatu.

I've somewhat conflicted feelings on the presentation of once-Arisen Shuankhsen as well. On the one hand, Rawhead really worked as essentially a new being with the memories and abilities of a Mummy. On the other hand that is easily the least interesting way I feel to run them in a Chronicle. I feel it lessens the tragedy a lot if the Mummy basically "dies" when they become a Shuankhsen and just score a whole new personality. Even with Rawhead, I felt he could have had a little more as a villain if he'd retained his old self as a devotee of the Judges so he could be properly horrified by what he had become.

Just logistically I'm not sure why Setka's head being smashed by a rock means his cult should get described as a "cult without a master". Unless he's Sekhem 1, and the implication is that he isn't based on... well, every part of his portrayal, he should be back up and about in a few days surely?

Also is it just me or was M'kaal trying to turn a three year old into an Arisen near the end there?

Regardless of those minor quibbles I did quite enjoy it. I don't particularly like fiction based on game lines, it always feels like there's a tendency to simultaneously explain too much in the way of game mechanics and setting as info dumps, and simultaneously not enough for anyone not already familiar with the property to follow. Dawn of Heresies didn't do a bad job at all, even if I did get that same feeling in places.

Comment

Working...
      X