X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Chances
    started a topic Homebrewed Relics

Homebrewed Relics

We all know that relics are a great jumping off point for a Mummy campaign, so what are some of the most interesting/most fun relics you've created?

PS: This may or may not have been prompted by reading about reseru using crystal skulls as Uter that had been created from the Shan'iatu and wanting more details

• Korogra
    replied
    Oh, I like this one!

Leave a comment:

• ajf115
    replied
    The Aristaean Hive (Regia ••••)

Durability 1, Size 4, Structure 6
    The origins of the Aristaean Hive are drowned in the deeps of time, and obscured by the many conflicting currents of history. No records or memories exist of it prior to the Mediterranean Bronze Age collapse, but this does not rule out the possibility that it existed beforehand, and those records were simply lost in the fall of cities. And, of course, the memory of the Arisen is notoriously fallible. Regardless of its true origins, records exist of the Hive from around the time of the Peloponnesian Wars, and have followed it from there through history, often through the hands of secretive cults desirous of immortality. Its name was a later invention, that of an eccentric Victorian collector who connected it to the myth of Aristaeus.

The Hive itself is a peculiar construction of lacquered cedar wood. Marks on its surface indicate that it was once inlaid with semiprecious stones, but these have long since been pried off. Its inside superficially appears to mimic that of a modern artificial beehive, but sets its frames at strange angles which an occult geometrist could correlate with symbolism of long life and immortality.

Power: The Hive’s occult geometries concentrate life-force within the honey produced therein, giving it miraculous properties. Given appropriate conditions (good weather, access to flowers etc), the hive will produce enough of the mystic honey for one effective portion per week.

A character who consumes a portion of the honey heals at twice the normal rate for the next week and gains the Hale Condition. Additionally, for each portion of the honey a character consumes, if they are past their prime they revert by two years towards their prime (generally somewhere in their early- to mid-twenties), reducing any impediments cause by age, infirmity and the like. This benefit lasts for one year following consumption for each portion.

Note that this does not actually extend the drinker’s lifespan; they simply remain in the bloom of full youth until their allotted span is lived out (generally around 120 years or so total), at which point they begin to age to death rapidly over the course of a month, during which the honey is not effective no matter the quantity. This doom can come as a horrible surprise to one who believes they have found the secret of immortality, and can lead to wild seeking of new means of longevity before the hourglass runs out.

Additionally, if one does not have a population of bees to introduce to the Hive, one may slay a living creature of Size 5 or greater within five yards of the Hive and make a Resolve + Occult roll at a -2 penalty. On a success, if the carcass is left to rot bees will emerge from it and take up residence within the Hive.

Curse: The burgeoning life-force focused by the Hive also affects its inhabitants. The bees grow in intelligence and become fiercely territorial, and will defend their prize with their lives. The Hive is the center of an instance of the Swarm Tilt ten yards in radius, with the Deadly, Persistent and Venomous Factors. The bees are smart enough as a collective to worm their way into ordinary beekeeper’s gear (fully sealed protection is required to be effective) and will fly out to attack any possible intruders with extreme aggression. They are immune to any power to command animals that does not spring either from another Vessel or from an Utterance, filled as they are will the living power of Sekhem, but they are still bees and can be driven back with thick smoke and by other such means.

The Arisen are immune to the venom of the bees, and their dead flesh negates the Deadly Factor of the swarm. The bees will not attack a member of the Mesen-Nebu, as they recognize the seniority of those greater alchemists.
    Hale
    Your character's body has been fortified against harm. When you’ve failed a roll to resist poison or disease, or to remain conscious due to injury, resolve this Condition to instead treat the action as if you’d rolled a single success. If the roll was a chance die, you may resolve this Condition and roll a single die instead.

Resolution: Use the Condition, as noted.
    Also, if you're interested there's a Closed Rite I created to turn extended youth into immortality: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...ry-rites/page3
    Last edited by ajf115; 09-12-2020, 11:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ajf115
    replied
    Originally posted by Korogra View Post
    Edit: After giving it some thought I decided that in order to make the Bestial Bracelet more accessible and to justify its three-dot rating I would give it a secondary Effect depending on the user, as well as clarifying that a non-mummy is able to use their willpower points to reinforce their strength or stamina.

Hopefully that makes it a little more interesting and fun, ajf115
    I like it very much.

Now, wanna give me an idea for a Relic to write up?

Leave a comment:

• Korogra
    replied
    Edit: After giving it some thought I decided that in order to make the Bestial Bracelet more accessible and to justify its three-dot rating I would give it a secondary Effect depending on the user, as well as clarifying that a non-mummy is able to use their willpower points to reinforce their strength or stamina.

Hopefully that makes it a little more interesting and fun, ajf115
    Last edited by Korogra; 09-06-2020, 09:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Korogra
    replied
    yes, they spend willpower. If you have the affinity already, it provides no benefit.

Leave a comment:

• ajf115
    replied
    Originally posted by Korogra View Post
    So I have come up with another, slightly less impressive relic that I nonetheless found it to be super fun!

The Bestial Bracelet(3 dot Uter)

Size 1, Durability 3, Structure 3

Description: This ancient decoration is a prime example of the feral, living power that all relics of the shell represent. While it is unknown when this artifact was fashioned, it is known that it first gained attention from the Arisen population during the French and Indian War, the vessel being used by several Native American warriors along with a handful of French colonists as a weapon against the British. At a glance the Uter isn't that overly interesting to look at, being a collection of teeth and claws of several predatory animals and colored clay beads strung along a cord of leather. Once worn and activated however, the teeth become gleaming-white and the beads regain their vibrancy. Those who wore this relic were reported to possess the strength and ferocity of a pack of wild animals, and it is theorized that this relic, and others like it were the source of many stories that unfairly demonized many native peoples for the decades to come.

Power: When activated by the user with a point of Willpower or a point of Sheut, the relic imbues the user with the benefits of the Beast Soul Fury Affinity for the remainder of the scene, even if they do not possess Sekhem or Pillar points.

Curse: The danger of channeling the animal instinct of predators is being subsumed by their base urges. So long as the user wears the relic, they suffer a -2 penalty to all mental rolls made to resist indulging their Vice or avoiding activating the relic. Priests of the Su-Menent are immune to this curse.
    I like it, though my questions would be what it does for someone who already has Beast Soul Fury, and whether this clause of the Affinity:

She is considered to have Sekhem 10 for the sole purpose of reinforcing her Strength and/or Stamina with Pillars.
    Has any effect on people without Sekhem or Pillar points. Do they gain the ability to reinforce physical Attributes with, say, Willpower, or...?

Also, given the sharp drawbacks of BSF itself, apart from the Curse, I'm wondering if this should perhaps be 2-dot instead of 3.

Leave a comment:

• Korogra
    replied
    So I have come up with another, slightly less impressive relic that I nonetheless found it to be super fun!

The Bestial Bracelet(3 dot Uter)

Size 1, Durability 3, Structure 3

Description: This ancient decoration is a prime example of the feral, living power that all relics of the shell represent. While it is unknown when this artifact was fashioned, it is known that it first gained attention from the Arisen population during the French and Indian War, the vessel being used by several Native American warriors along with a handful of French colonists as a weapon against the British. At a glance the Uter isn't that overly interesting to look at, being a collection of teeth and claws of several predatory animals and colored clay beads strung along a cord of leather. Once worn and activated however, the teeth become gleaming-white and the beads regain their vibrancy. Those who wore this relic were reported to possess the strength and ferocity of a pack of wild animals, and it is theorized that this relic, and others like it were the source of many stories that unfairly demonized many native peoples for the decades to come.

Power: When activated by the user with a point of Willpower or a point of Sheut, the relic imbues the user with the benefits of the Beast Soul Fury Affinity for the remainder of the scene, even if they do not possess Sekhem or Pillar points, using willpower points in place of pillar points.

Should one of the Arisen who already possesses Beast Soul Fury activate the relic, the Bestial Bracelet instead enhances the users unarmed strikes by granting them talons forged from Sekhem, acting as a 2L weapon. If used against another Deathless or one of the Lifeless(including creatures such as vampires or materialized ghosts) the talons inflict aggravated damage instead.

Curse: The danger of channeling the animal instinct of predators is being subsumed by their base urges. So long as the user wears the relic, they suffer a -2 penalty to all mental rolls made to resist indulging their Vice or avoiding activating the relic. Priests of the Su-Menent are immune to this curse.
    Last edited by Korogra; 09-06-2020, 09:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    I had about a project detailing about 200 various relics during Mummy's 1st ed run. I lost a bunch of it when the forum shifted, but I have the outline of about 175 of them that some time I plan to get back too. It was fun back in the day.

Leave a comment:

• ajf115
    replied
    In the meantime, another seba:

A Spark From the Forge of Days (Artistic Seba ••••)

Power: There are not enough hours in the day, nor enough days in the year - save for one who bears this word of power. This seba’s power may be invoked when the bearer embarks upon an Extended action of any kind. No matter how long the interval of the action or how many intervals she takes, the task will be completed or abandoned within twenty-four hours. This does not accelerate her actions per se - she still experiences the usual passage of time, and must eat, drink and sleep as normal, but somehow she may work for weeks or years within a single day. This effect ceases completely upon completion or decisive failure of the Extended action.

This power may only be invoked once per lunar month, refreshing on the night of the new moon.

Curse: In a way, this seba’s power is its curse - in the half-real time it creates, the user ages as normal. The Arisen are ageless, but ironically have almost a lesser tolerance for its curse - they experience Descent rolls according to their subjective timeline as opposed to that of the normal world. Immortals with a ‘time limit’, such as Blood Bathers, treat the seba’s time as determining when they must undertake to extend their lives, while those without, such as Eternals, are more resistant to its effects. Additionally, a Dramatic Failure on the Extended action causes the bearer to immediately age one year or suffer an immediate Descent roll. Finally, one who invokes the seba's power may not willingly abandon the Extended action; she is compelled to pursue it to completion, failure or her death. The Deceived are immune to this curse entirely.
    Last edited by ajf115; 12-30-2019, 12:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ajf115
    replied
    Originally posted by Leliel View Post
    Geistblatt, the Whispering Blade (Amulet ****)
    I like it! The subversion of 'evil whispering weapon' is fun.

Any idea what kind of Vessel a magical drum should be? I'm basing it on this: https://cultistsimulator.gamepedia.com/Wakeful_Tympanum
    Last edited by ajf115; 12-30-2019, 10:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Leliel
    replied
    Geistblatt, the Whispering Blade (Amulet ****)

It was never meant to be a relic. The warlord who contracted the forging of the ornate saber wanted a terror weapon, a pocket of Hell to eternally torture those slain with it. He was almost as shocked as the smith when he grew a spine and made the tyrant its first victim - and then the spell-smith even more shocked when the memory of noble treason gave it a soul, the swirls on the Damascus steel that composed the blade becoming teardrops and the outline of faces.

Power: The saber's telepathic mutterings include the knowledge of all those it has slain, and their skill. When activated, the bearer gains the rote benefit on all rolls meant to plan a battle strategy before conflict with a known enemy, and 8-Again on all Weaponry rolls when facing enemies these strategies anticipated. In addition, the Damascus steel within the blade is sharper than diamond and more resilient than titanium when the Sekhem within flows through it; it ignores up to four points of Durability and Armor when active, cutting through barriers and men with ease.

Curse: The sword has a mind of its own, forged in betrayal of a madman and the best-intentioned murder. It desires to end conflicts, in as efficient and final a way as possible, not start them, and it will unleash the memories of all those it has slain on bearers it dislikes. While the sword is active, one of its bearer's Aspirations is replaced with one based around ensuring the battle at least attempts to both be considerate of collateral damage and to ensure it isn't repeated; "Kill the aggressors", "Evacuate the area of my loved ones", and "Force my rival to the negotiating table" are all valid. Betraying this Aspiration causes the sword to unleash its memory of violent and brutal conflict on its bearer, inflicting a breaking point with a -3 penalty; failure not only causes the bearer to lose a dot, but develop an Obsession based around making amends for the battle or become Fugued with grief and horror (player's choice) for the rest of the story, though the Arisen do not lose a Memory dot. What makes Geistblatt such a notorious node of (ironic) conflict is that the sword's mind is rather shrewd; it prefers to replace Aspirations with versions that are more akin to edits of its bearer's actual intentions or behave in ways that are both ethical and tactically sound (as opposed to "hard men making hard decisions while hard"; it can tell when the real reason the violent option is chosen is because it's really the easier one rather than the effective one, the sword hates torture for this precise reason); many bearers don't notice the difference, and even if told, don't see it as a curse. In this, the Whispering Blade becomes one of the most valuable mystical weapons in the world; the price it asks is fair.

Leave a comment:

• ajf115
    replied
    Days Like Cracked Jars (Artistic Seba ••)

Power: In ancient Irem, time was measured by the movements of sun and stars, but also by the steady drip-drip-drip of the water-clocks. Minute by minute their sacred contents ran out onto hot stone, there to evaporate, and in this a student of the Dancer once found a peculiar kind of enlightenment.

The bearer of this seba may activate its power to target a character she is touching or whose true name she knows. The target rolls ([Intelligence + <higher of Expression or Academics>] - [target's Resolve + Supernatural Tolerance]). On a success, the unfocused complexity of his own mind distracts him, causing him to become utterly engrossed in some insignificant or idle practice - perhaps watching the blowing of leaves, browsing YouTube videos or playing with a Newton’s Cradle - for (higher of target’s Expression or Academics) hours, a character actively engages him or until a significant, obvious act jars him out of this state, whichever comes first. Any Perception rolls for the character during this time are reduced to a chance die, and may not take any Instant or Extended actions during this period. If the target rolls an Exceptional Success, he remembers nothing of the intervening time; it is a haze of shameful idleness.

Curse: The bearer’s mind wanders and she finds concentration on long-running actions difficult, inflicting a -2 penalty to all Extended actions.
    Last edited by ajf115; 12-30-2019, 10:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ajf115
    replied
    In any case, I'm going to be in the car for c. 4 hours tomorrow, so if anyone's got any Relic ideas they want written up, sling them my way.

Leave a comment:

• Korogra
    replied
    Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
    Out of curiosity, could something like By Providence Made Whole save someone from the curse of the Egg of the Ever-Born?

Also, magic tree:

The Tree of a Thousand Realms (Effigy •••••)

Durability 4, Size 45, Structure 49

None now remain who know - or at least who remember - when the Tree of a Thousand Realms was planted. The where is a matter of public record; the tree is a tourist attraction in Norway, for its size, for its age, for its broad-yet-evergreen leaves and for the fact that no other example of its species is known to be extant. Scientists believe it to be the last of an all-but-extinct species - perhaps the same mutation which prevents it bearing flowers or fruit also spared it some disease that took the rest of its breed.

It has been kept by the same sprawling family for generations beyond counting, since before any Scandinavian set foot on a longship and set sail for other shores. They permit none to remain after dark. The lights which dance in its branches beneath the aurora are sacred to them and their blood - they have paid far too much to open the door to just anyone. A supplicant who comes humbly and begs for admission may be initiated into the family, but with the aid they can draw from the Tree have thrown back countless envious claimants to its power. Were one of the Arisen to come knocking, they would have to make dark bargains indeed to keep what is theirs - but make them they would, and keep it they might.

Power: The Tree lives up to its name; it grows not only in the physical world but in Twilight, in the Shadow, in the Underworld, in the Hedge, in the Astral Realms and in many other worlds besides - none have yet been found where it does not grow save Duat itself.

Between the tree’s roots there is a deep cleft. By entering it and spending a Pillar point or a point of Willpower, a person may walk upwards into the trunk, downwards into the roots or simply around; going down will lead to ‘lower’ realms such as the Underworld or certain Emanation Realms, going up will lead to ‘higher’ realms such as the Astral, the Hedge or the Shadow. Simply going around will lead one back out into Twilight.

Twilight is, incidentally, the only other realm which can be navigated to easily. For all other realms, traversing the Tree’s winding passages requires a successful (Wits + Occult) roll, at a -7 penalty unless the traveller has an object or artifact from that realm on her person while navigating, or a denizen of that realm to act as a guide. Failure simply returns the traveller to the physical world, while a Dramatic Failure leads a traveller to a dangerous realm she has no desire to enter.
    In addition to its true power, the living Sekhem within the Tree sustains it. It is immortal, and will neither age nor die so long as it remains a Vessel.

Curse: The Tree is hungry, dealing an automatic level of Lethal damage to any who use it as it drinks of their life-force. Arisen suffer only Bashing damage, while the Tef-Aabhi suffer no damage at all. Additionally, once per year on the summer solstice the Tree must be fed either a human life or a dot of Sekhem, or it will begin to wither and die, finally succumbing on the winter solstice. This sacrifice may be made after the summer solstice, but the amount necessary increases by one life or dot of Sekhem per month overdue. Neither the Arisen nor the Tef-Aabhi may feed the tree with anything less than normal.

The Tree is, needless to say, immobile. Mighty Vessels and Vestiges could surely be wrought from its wood were it to be felled, though...

* I don't really know how much Structure a redwood-size tree should have. Suggestions?
    First, I would say that it’s Storyteller’s discretion, as they are those “ highest Gods” the Curse references.

In my game I would say no, but I think it could be possible if a storyteller rules it to be so.

Second, very good job.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X