Homebrewed Relics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebrewed Relics

We all know that relics are a great jumping off point for a Mummy campaign, so what are some of the most interesting/most fun relics you've created?

PS: This may or may not have been prompted by reading about reseru using crystal skulls as Uter that had been created from the Shan'iatu and wanting more details

He/His Pronouns | Currently writing: Tome of the Pentacle (OPP), Better Feared: Nosferatu (STV)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Hm. Most of my favourites powers were tied to Seba, but there was an Uter I remember really fondly for the impact it had on the game. It was called the Red Bath, a four dot Uter, and it was a simple bathtub made of leather and bone. If filled with blood costing a human their life, then the next person to bathe in that blood would cease aging for the next 20 years. If they were a Mummy, they would gain a point of Sekhem. In either case using it counted as a Morality 1 sin.

My fondness for it isn't so much for what it did though, but rather the impact it had on the Chronicle. The character who discovered it originally opted not to wrest it from the human cult who were using it, simply using it when they felt like it. One of the other characters wanted to experience the same strength that came from "easy" access to Sekhem, but they attempted to steal it. When the cult's Amkhat attacked, this second character attempted to drain the relic.

The conflict between the two that spun out of this was pretty great

Comment

I need to sit down and do a donkey jawbone Uter weapon one of these days.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

The Crystal Skull of Shai-nefer is kind of like Azahul's Red Bath: I wasn't as interested in the game stats as I was in what it meant to the story.

It drew the character to it in the first Sothic turn, housed away in a vault with priests of Re as its wardens. In the millennia since it had been guarded by the PC, and, most frustratingly, even when it was delivered to Duat it would eventually return to continuously plague them and the world. This was all in an effort to emphasize the cyclical, hopeless existence of service to the Judges and lay groundwork for a sequel campaign about Apotheosis, which the primary Shuankhsen villain in this first campaign thought he could achieve by devouring the Skull.

I don't think I gave it a dot rating, but I remember one of the things it did was increase the effects of Unease Sybaris.

I always meant to write it up as an Actual Play because it, in a way, was very much a response to early criticisms of the game. Namely that the Shan'iatu were ancient mysteries that didn't add anything to the game since they existed too long ago to remember or learn anything about, and that the 'relic chase' game was boring and the only way to play. I wanted to play out the repercussions of discovering a Shan'iatu relic and 'deconstruct' the relic chase and say, "Yeah, mummies chase relics. A lot. And that really, really sucks for them in-universe."

Of course, then Book of the Deceived came out and I'm not sure how if the Crystal Skull would work anymore. My Shan'iatu were straight up aliens from like another galaxy or whatever, so it made sense to have a very physical relic for them

Comment

Reighnhell created a thread with over a hundred homebrewed Relics.

Let Him Speak.

Comment

So, it seems like now is a good time to resurrect this thread. By these relics, I enact the Call and summon it back to life:

The Mornor Gloves (Amulet •••)

Durability 0, Size 1, Structure 3

This pair of magnificent leather gloves are supple and comfortable. The material of which they are made is in two parts, black leather on the backs of the hands and a softer, red suede-like material on the palms. The gloves appeared on auction some three decades ago, dug out of the attic of the last scion of the once-landed Mornor family after he died without naming any heirs or beneficiaries.

Power: The gloves remember much of what was done in the old Mornor house, and can learn more with the years. The gloves have three ‘slots’, which may be filled with either knowledge of a Closed Rite or an Open Rite Mastery. By invoking the Vessel, a character may either use one of those Rites as if she knew them personally, or may perform a Rite to infuse the knowledge into one of the ‘slots’, replacing whatever knowledge was there already. Even characters without the Ritual Sorcerer Merit may perform Closed Rites using the gloves as if they possessed it.

Curse: The gloves remember passion and desire all too well. Any character who invokes their power gains the Wanton Condition so long as she possesses them. If that character was given the gloves by another, that character is treated as causing the Wanton Condition. If she gained the gloves on her own, she fixates on some person in her life as a ‘muse’, treating them as having caused it instead. The Arisen only suffer the Wanton Condition for the remainder of the scene after invoking the gloves’ power.

The Pale Chalice (Uter •••)

Durability 1, Size 2, Structure 4

On those nights when we drink from the chalice, we are not certain, afterwards, what we have done. But, we may be assured, it is what always has been done, and if we do not remember, our children will, in their redmost dreams.

Unknown author, presumed to be a member of the Society of St. Hydra, from which the artifact was recovered in 1923.

It has a long and sordid history since its creation in the late-1700s, but few know it. It is an elegant chalice carved from a single piece of ivory and treated in some unknown manner so that the material has become transparent, though still with a milky-white hue. It has passed through the hands of too many cults and societies to name, and though it is no weapon its influence has certainly claimed the lives and livelihoods beyond counting.

Power: After invoking the chalice’ power, any number of Willpower or Pillar points may be infused into the liquid within, including the point spent to invoke the effect, which must be either blood, pure water or fine wine for the power to take effect. The chalice contains enough, when filled to the brim, for five draughts large enough to be effective.

All characters who drink from the activated chalice lose the capacity to feel guilt for a number of hours equal to the number of Willpower or Pillar points infused into the liquid, causing them to ignore all Breaking Points due to their own actions taken during that period.

Curse: The chalice’ curse is almost part of its power. After the period of the chalice’ effect elapses, all memory of the period vanishes from the minds of the drinkers, who suffer the persistent Amnesia Condition with regards to that period. If this Condition is somehow resolved, or the character is confronted with proof of what occurred during that time (e.g. video evidence), they must roll any Breaking Points they now know of. Willpower and procedural memory (i.e. Beats and Experiences) are retained as normal.

Unusually, the chalice is essentially useless to the Arisen - in fact, attempting to partake of it counts as a Gap for Memory.
            Last edited by ajf115; 12-24-2019, 01:08 PM.

Comment

There was one that we had that I really enjoyed in our game, a four dot Effigy

The Egg Of The Ever-Born ( ****)
              Size 1, Durability 5, Structure 3

This stone artifact is an excellent embodiment of the phrase “ You should never judge a book by its cover.”, for to dismiss this Vessel is to spit in the face of Great Azar, and His Power. At a glance the Egg is a blue-gray, oblong and vaguely tear drop shaped stone that is the size of an ostrich egg, and possesses a haphazardly carved face upon the wider portion, and several ring-like etchings encircling the narrower end- the general consensus being that the relic is a crude representation of an infant in swaddling clothes.

Despite its unimpressive appearance, this Vessel possesses the sinister reputation of being one of the Tef-Abhi’s most horrific instruments intended for human sacrifice: For it’s power allows its owner to perform a nigh unlimited number of profane rituals using but a single infant - thanks to granting the child everlasting life.

Power: When annoited with the blood of a human being- preferably a infant or a toddler- that human’s soul is linked to the Egg. Should the victim’s last health box be filled with Lethal or Aggravated damage they will die as normal, but come the next sunrise the victim will return to life at full health- no sign of the injury that killed them remain as if they have been born anew under Re’s gaze. This effect persists as long as the victim’s blood remains coated upon the Egg, washing the stone undoes the sympathetic magic that binds them to the Egg. Deathless and Lifeless cannot be Bound to the Egg of The Ever-Born; for their souls are already claimed by greater powers, or they lack souls to begin with.
              Knowingly making use of the Relic for its intended purpose of human sacrifice is a Morality 2/ Memory 2 Sin.

Curse: Once Bound to the Egg, ones life is forever dependent on the Egg. Should the sympathetic magic be interrupted, the victim immediately dies and cannot be resurrected again under any means save for grace of the highest Gods- and they are rarely willing to give up their playthings.

Rare for the Tef-Abhi, their affinity for Effigies cannot abate the effects of this curse.

Looking back, this relic could easily be the basis for one of the Eternals, and I find that super funny.
              Last edited by Korogra; 02-08-2020, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Korogra View Post
                There was one that we had that I really enjoyed in our game, a four dot Effigy

The Egg Of The Ever-Born ( ****)
                Size 1, Durability 5, Structure 3

This stone artifact is an excellent embodiment of the phrase “ You should never judge a book by its cover.”, for to dismiss this Vessel is to spit in the face of Great Azar, and His Power. At a glance the Egg is a blue-gray, oblong abs vaguely tear drop shaped stone that is the size of an ostrich egg, and possesses a haphazardly carved face upon the wider portion, and several ring-like etchings encircling the narrower end- the general consensus being that the relic is a crude representation of an infant in swaddling clothes.

Despite its unimpressive appearance, this Vessel possesses the sinister reputation of being one of the Tef-Abhi’s most horrific instruments intended for human sacrifice: For it’s power allows its owner to perform a nigh unlimited number of profane rituals using but a single infant - thanks to granting the child everlasting life.

Power: When annoited with the blood of a human being- preferably a infant or a toddler- that human’s soul is linked to the Egg. Should the victim’s last health box be filled with Lethal or Aggravated damage they will die as normal, but come the next sunrise the victim will return to life at full health- no sign of the injury that killed them remain as if they have been born anew under Re’s gaze. This effect persists as long as the victim’s blood remains coated with their blood, washing the stone undoes the sympathetic magic that binds them to the Egg. Deathless and Lifeless cannot be Bound to the Egg of The Ever-Born; for their souls are already claimed by greater powers, or they lack souls to begin with.
                Knowingly making use of the Relic for its intended purpose of human sacrifice is a Morality 2/ Memory 2 Sin.

Curse: Once Bound to the Egg, ones life is forever dependent on the Egg. Should the sympathetic magic be interrupted, the victim immediately dies and cannot be resurrected again under any means save for grace of the highest Gods- and they are rarely willing to give up their playthings.

Rare for the Tef-Abhi, their affinity for Effigies cannot abate the effects of this curse.
                That relic is simultaneously Y I K E S and amazing. It's kinda like an Eternal-on-demand thing. And it'd be exceedingly useful for the mortal mummy sorcerer splat I'm tinkering with at the moment.

On the subject of Effigies, though, any idea what an Effigy that takes the form of a living tree could do?

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post

That relic is simultaneously Y I K E S and amazing. It's kinda like an Eternal-on-demand thing. And it'd be exceedingly useful for the mortal mummy sorcerer splat I'm tinkering with at the moment.

On the subject of Effigies, though, any idea what an Effigy that takes the form of a living tree could do?
                  Yeah, I created that relic to both demonstrate the moral bankruptcy of the game’s antagonist as well as acting as a test of character for the PCs, to see what they would do with a relic that fully adhered to the pragmatic cruelty of Irem’s culture.

And that depends really on what you wish to use the Tree for. Effigies utilize sympathetic magic by acting as a representation for said creature/ place/ object they are supposed to affect.

Does this tree affect plant life? Does it instead manipulate any object composed of wood within a certain radius? Perhaps it’s more esoteric, and can alter the local timeline of the immediate area around the tree, to represent the rings found along its heartwood? There are numerous things you could do.

Comment

Originally posted by Korogra View Post
                    And that depends really on what you wish to use the Tree for. Effigies utilize sympathetic magic by acting as a representation for said creature/ place/ object they are supposed to affect.

Does this tree affect plant life? Does it instead manipulate any object composed of wood within a certain radius? Perhaps it’s more esoteric, and can alter the local timeline of the immediate area around the tree, to represent the rings found along its heartwood? There are numerous things you could do.
                    Mmm. I guess the issue is that I'm really not sure of what power to give the thing, so I'm stick at the pre-planning stage.

I wonder if something could be done with Yggdrasil symbolism, to let people go to other worlds - the Shadow, the Underworld, emanation realms and so on.

Comment

Out of curiosity, could something like By Providence Made Whole save someone from the curse of the Egg of the Ever-Born?

Also, magic tree:

The Tree of a Thousand Realms (Effigy •••••)

Durability 4, Size 45, Structure 49

None now remain who know - or at least who remember - when the Tree of a Thousand Realms was planted. The where is a matter of public record; the tree is a tourist attraction in Norway, for its size, for its age, for its broad-yet-evergreen leaves and for the fact that no other example of its species is known to be extant. Scientists believe it to be the last of an all-but-extinct species - perhaps the same mutation which prevents it bearing flowers or fruit also spared it some disease that took the rest of its breed.

It has been kept by the same sprawling family for generations beyond counting, since before any Scandinavian set foot on a longship and set sail for other shores. They permit none to remain after dark. The lights which dance in its branches beneath the aurora are sacred to them and their blood - they have paid far too much to open the door to just anyone. A supplicant who comes humbly and begs for admission may be initiated into the family, but with the aid they can draw from the Tree have thrown back countless envious claimants to its power. Were one of the Arisen to come knocking, they would have to make dark bargains indeed to keep what is theirs - but make them they would, and keep it they might.

Power: The Tree lives up to its name; it grows not only in the physical world but in Twilight, in the Shadow, in the Underworld, in the Hedge, in the Astral Realms and in many other worlds besides - none have yet been found where it does not grow save Duat itself.

Between the tree’s roots there is a deep cleft. By entering it and spending a Pillar point or a point of Willpower, a person may walk upwards into the trunk, downwards into the roots or simply around; going down will lead to ‘lower’ realms such as the Underworld or certain Emanation Realms, going up will lead to ‘higher’ realms such as the Astral, the Hedge or the Shadow. Simply going around will lead one back out into Twilight.

Twilight is, incidentally, the only other realm which can be navigated to easily. For all other realms, traversing the Tree’s winding passages requires a successful (Wits + Occult) roll, at a -7 penalty unless the traveller has an object or artifact from that realm on her person while navigating, or a denizen of that realm to act as a guide. Failure simply returns the traveller to the physical world, while a Dramatic Failure leads a traveller to a dangerous realm she has no desire to enter.
                      In addition to its true power, the living Sekhem within the Tree sustains it. It is immortal, and will neither age nor die so long as it remains a Vessel.

Curse: The Tree is hungry, dealing an automatic level of Lethal damage to any who use it as it drinks of their life-force. Arisen suffer only Bashing damage, while the Tef-Aabhi suffer no damage at all. Additionally, once per year on the summer solstice the Tree must be fed either a human life or a dot of Sekhem, or it will begin to wither and die, finally succumbing on the winter solstice. This sacrifice may be made after the summer solstice, but the amount necessary increases by one life or dot of Sekhem per month overdue. Neither the Arisen nor the Tef-Aabhi may feed the tree with anything less than normal.

The Tree is, needless to say, immobile. Mighty Vessels and Vestiges could surely be wrought from its wood were it to be felled, though...

* I don't really know how much Structure a redwood-size tree should have. Suggestions?
                      Last edited by ajf115; 12-27-2019, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
                        Out of curiosity, could something like By Providence Made Whole save someone from the curse of the Egg of the Ever-Born?

Also, magic tree:

The Tree of a Thousand Realms (Effigy •••••)

Durability 4, Size 45, Structure 49

None now remain who know - or at least who remember - when the Tree of a Thousand Realms was planted. The where is a matter of public record; the tree is a tourist attraction in Norway, for its size, for its age, for its broad-yet-evergreen leaves and for the fact that no other example of its species is known to be extant. Scientists believe it to be the last of an all-but-extinct species - perhaps the same mutation which prevents it bearing flowers or fruit also spared it some disease that took the rest of its breed.

It has been kept by the same sprawling family for generations beyond counting, since before any Scandinavian set foot on a longship and set sail for other shores. They permit none to remain after dark. The lights which dance in its branches beneath the aurora are sacred to them and their blood - they have paid far too much to open the door to just anyone. A supplicant who comes humbly and begs for admission may be initiated into the family, but with the aid they can draw from the Tree have thrown back countless envious claimants to its power. Were one of the Arisen to come knocking, they would have to make dark bargains indeed to keep what is theirs - but make them they would, and keep it they might.

Power: The Tree lives up to its name; it grows not only in the physical world but in Twilight, in the Shadow, in the Underworld, in the Hedge, in the Astral Realms and in many other worlds besides - none have yet been found where it does not grow save Duat itself.

Between the tree’s roots there is a deep cleft. By entering it and spending a Pillar point or a point of Willpower, a person may walk upwards into the trunk, downwards into the roots or simply around; going down will lead to ‘lower’ realms such as the Underworld or certain Emanation Realms, going up will lead to ‘higher’ realms such as the Astral, the Hedge or the Shadow. Simply going around will lead one back out into Twilight.

Twilight is, incidentally, the only other realm which can be navigated to easily. For all other realms, traversing the Tree’s winding passages requires a successful (Wits + Occult) roll, at a -7 penalty unless the traveller has an object or artifact from that realm on her person while navigating, or a denizen of that realm to act as a guide. Failure simply returns the traveller to the physical world, while a Dramatic Failure leads a traveller to a dangerous realm she has no desire to enter.
                        In addition to its true power, the living Sekhem within the Tree sustains it. It is immortal, and will neither age nor die so long as it remains a Vessel.

Curse: The Tree is hungry, dealing an automatic level of Lethal damage to any who use it as it drinks of their life-force. Arisen suffer only Bashing damage, while the Tef-Aabhi suffer no damage at all. Additionally, once per year on the summer solstice the Tree must be fed either a human life or a dot of Sekhem, or it will begin to wither and die, finally succumbing on the winter solstice. This sacrifice may be made after the summer solstice, but the amount necessary increases by one life or dot of Sekhem per month overdue. Neither the Arisen nor the Tef-Aabhi may feed the tree with anything less than normal.

The Tree is, needless to say, immobile. Mighty Vessels and Vestiges could surely be wrought from its wood were it to be felled, though...

* I don't really know how much Structure a redwood-size tree should have. Suggestions?
                        First, I would say that it’s Storyteller’s discretion, as they are those “ highest Gods” the Curse references.

In my game I would say no, but I think it could be possible if a storyteller rules it to be so.

Second, very good job.

Comment

In any case, I'm going to be in the car for c. 4 hours tomorrow, so if anyone's got any Relic ideas they want written up, sling them my way.

Comment

Days Like Cracked Jars (Artistic Seba ••)

Power: In ancient Irem, time was measured by the movements of sun and stars, but also by the steady drip-drip-drip of the water-clocks. Minute by minute their sacred contents ran out onto hot stone, there to evaporate, and in this a student of the Dancer once found a peculiar kind of enlightenment.

The bearer of this seba may activate its power to target a character she is touching or whose true name she knows. The target rolls ([Intelligence + <higher of Expression or Academics>] - [target's Resolve + Supernatural Tolerance]). On a success, the unfocused complexity of his own mind distracts him, causing him to become utterly engrossed in some insignificant or idle practice - perhaps watching the blowing of leaves, browsing YouTube videos or playing with a Newton’s Cradle - for (higher of target’s Expression or Academics) hours, a character actively engages him or until a significant, obvious act jars him out of this state, whichever comes first. Any Perception rolls for the character during this time are reduced to a chance die, and may not take any Instant or Extended actions during this period. If the target rolls an Exceptional Success, he remembers nothing of the intervening time; it is a haze of shameful idleness.

Curse: The bearer’s mind wanders and she finds concentration on long-running actions difficult, inflicting a -2 penalty to all Extended actions.
                            Last edited by ajf115; 12-30-2019, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Geistblatt, the Whispering Blade (Amulet ****)

It was never meant to be a relic. The warlord who contracted the forging of the ornate saber wanted a terror weapon, a pocket of Hell to eternally torture those slain with it. He was almost as shocked as the smith when he grew a spine and made the tyrant its first victim - and then the spell-smith even more shocked when the memory of noble treason gave it a soul, the swirls on the Damascus steel that composed the blade becoming teardrops and the outline of faces.

Power: The saber's telepathic mutterings include the knowledge of all those it has slain, and their skill. When activated, the bearer gains the rote benefit on all rolls meant to plan a battle strategy before conflict with a known enemy, and 8-Again on all Weaponry rolls when facing enemies these strategies anticipated. In addition, the Damascus steel within the blade is sharper than diamond and more resilient than titanium when the Sekhem within flows through it; it ignores up to four points of Durability and Armor when active, cutting through barriers and men with ease.

Curse: The sword has a mind of its own, forged in betrayal of a madman and the best-intentioned murder. It desires to end conflicts, in as efficient and final a way as possible, not start them, and it will unleash the memories of all those it has slain on bearers it dislikes. While the sword is active, one of its bearer's Aspirations is replaced with one based around ensuring the battle at least attempts to both be considerate of collateral damage and to ensure it isn't repeated; "Kill the aggressors", "Evacuate the area of my loved ones", and "Force my rival to the negotiating table" are all valid. Betraying this Aspiration causes the sword to unleash its memory of violent and brutal conflict on its bearer, inflicting a breaking point with a -3 penalty; failure not only causes the bearer to lose a dot, but develop an Obsession based around making amends for the battle or become Fugued with grief and horror (player's choice) for the rest of the story, though the Arisen do not lose a Memory dot. What makes Geistblatt such a notorious node of (ironic) conflict is that the sword's mind is rather shrewd; it prefers to replace Aspirations with versions that are more akin to edits of its bearer's actual intentions or behave in ways that are both ethical and tactically sound (as opposed to "hard men making hard decisions while hard"; it can tell when the real reason the violent option is chosen is because it's really the easier one rather than the effective one, the sword hates torture for this precise reason); many bearers don't notice the difference, and even if told, don't see it as a curse. In this, the Whispering Blade becomes one of the most valuable mystical weapons in the world; the price it asks is fair.

Comment

Working...
                              X