Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you make a Shuankhsen cult work ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you make a Shuankhsen cult work ?

On RPGnet I got a suggestion to make a Mummy cult idea a cult dedicated to Shuankhsens. This led me to a question, how would you make a Shuankhsen cult?

The Faithful of Shulpae spring to mind.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Killerclown View Post
      On RPGnet I got a suggestion to make a Mummy cult idea a cult dedicated to Shuankhsens. This led me to a question, how would you make a Shuankhsen cult?
      The characteristic that makes Shuankhsen cults different from Arisen cults is how self-destructive they are. Standard Scorpion cults serve the Judges and placate their Arisen in hopes of surviving their encounters. Shuankhsen cultists willingly give themselves to the Shuankhsen, who devour them to refresh their pillars. Definitely a whole new level of devotion and/or brainwashing.

Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
      Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

Originally posted by Octavo View Post

The characteristic that makes Shuankhsen cults different from Arisen cults is how self-destructive they are. Standard Scorpion cults serve the Judges and placate their Arisen in hopes of surviving their encounters. Shuankhsen cultists willingly give themselves to the Shuankhsen, who devour them to refresh their pillars. Definitely a whole new level of devotion and/or brainwashing.
        ​Unless they use someone else besides them. I am picturing cultists just dragging a guy to a grisly fate.

Comment

Originally posted by Killerclown View Post
          ​Unless they use someone else besides them. I am picturing cultists just dragging a guy to a grisly fate.
          To resurrect the Shuankhsen, their cultists do indeed drag unwilling people to be the host of the Lifeless creature. What I'm talking about is "Consume the Willing" on page 194 of the core.

Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
          Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

Originally posted by Octavo View Post

To resurrect the Shuankhsen, their cultists do indeed drag unwilling people to be the host of the Lifeless creature. What I'm talking about is "Consume the Willing" on page 194 of the core.
            Oh, alright. I suppose if the cult is a venture cult they would let lower level cultists be consumed while the top level ones remain unscathed.

Comment

I like to have Shuankhsen cults as smaller and of lower quality than Arisen cults, but there are more of them. Because a Shuankhsen doesn't have a corporeal body, there's no reason a single Shuankhsen couldn't have a couple of small unrelated cults operating across the world at any one time. Brainwashing is a big part too. In my Mummy campaign the Shuankhsen cult the characters faced controlled orphanages and raised cultists basically from birth, minimising their prospects outside of the cult.

Comment

I think of any of the mummy varieties Shuankhsen are the ones who might be least dependent on cults.

IIRC they don't really need guardians to watch over their corpse between Descents, and as they are kings of the lifeless they might have certain tricks to recruit more supernatural horrors to their service than mortal cults. Also they don't have Memory so they don't really need cults to help keep track of their life

Comment

I think a Shuankhsen at the head of a pack of feral vampires could be a really fun, scary antagonist. Depending on how screwy you want to get with crossover cosmology, I think a ready argument exists for anything Abyssal out of Mage to gladly buddy up with the servants of the Devourer, or that they may well be the same thing.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                    I think a Shuankhsen at the head of a pack of feral vampires could be a really fun, scary antagonist. Depending on how screwy you want to get with crossover cosmology, I think a ready argument exists for anything Abyssal out of Mage to gladly buddy up with the servants of the Devourer, or that they may well be the same thing.
                    And throw in the demons of the Lower Depths for extra fun. Or extra brain-slush coming out of everyone's ears. Whichever comes first.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Working...
                    X