Softening Mummy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reseru View Post
    Still, they wake up and see the same themes century after century. The strong abuse the weak. The rich steal from the poor. Flags wave above palaces and cities proclaiming the duty of patriotism. Men turn technology towards destruction rather than liberation. The Arisen invented civilization. They remember the earliest seedling when they see the rotted fruits.
    From another angle, they were born into a world of unprecedented technology, quantum leaps in advancement in both materials and mechanics, a profound revolution in communication, and concepts in common parlance that didn't exist a century before. The modern world may feel more familiar to them than any prior age, even if they don't quite remember or understand why.

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
      From another angle, they were born into a world of unprecedented technology, quantum leaps in advancement in both materials and mechanics, a profound revolution in communication, and concepts in common parlance that didn't exist a century before. The modern world may feel more familiar to them than any prior age, even if they don't quite remember or understand why.
      That's a very interesting way to look at it, especially as I can imagine many mummies finding this actively offensive to them and what they stand for. (These upstarts are pretending at the greatness that was Irem!) It could also be a niggling source of doubt for them. (They're making advances like the servants of the gods themselves did... So... Do we really need the gods anymore? No, HERESY!)

Is it presumptuous of me to ask for alternating male/female pronouns?

Comment

I think mummies are a little blasé about modern empires mimicking Irem's greatness. You know how many times they've seen empires rise and fall? They've been around for 5000 years! If they ever were offended (fine, maybe some still are) I think they were inured to it by the time Alexander the Great died, if not a thousand years earlier

Comment

I think mummies are a little blasé about modern empires mimicking Irem's greatness. You know how many times they've seen empires rise and fall? They've been around for 5000 years! If they ever were offended (fine, maybe some still are) I think they were inured to it by the time Alexander the Great died, if not a thousand years earlier
          Point, but modern innovations are equalling and surpassing many of the greatest feats of Iremite magic, even if many still remain beyond the capabilities of science. Sure, it's likely that this regime will self-destruct like all the rest eventually, but the fact remains that mundane humans, unempowered by the blessings and wisdom of the Shan'iatu are coming closer and closer to their power - hells, the Shan'iatu could call down meteors, but could they unleash the sheer annihilation of a nuclear bomb? Could they walk on the moon? Raise buildings higher than the Pyramids as a matter of course? Sure, modern humans are ignorant in many ways, but they've come up with things that the Iremites and the Shan'iatu never dreamed of, except perhaps in prophecy.

Comment

That's totally fair

Comment

That's totally fair
              I feel worthy.

Comment

Despite the issues with it, that's one point I think Ruins of Empire gets across quite well.

Comment

The thought occurs: For mummies who've undergone Apotheosis, the Entombed Glory Affinity must be incredibly useful.

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
                    The thought occurs: For mummies who've undergone Apotheosis, the Entombed Glory Affinity must be incredibly useful.
                    Relatedly, I don't remember reading how apotheosis reacts to a Talisman. If unison casting can get around the sekhem limit so blatantly, Id assume a Talisman might still provide the utterance tiers and sekhem encoded in it. Granted, a mummy already IN apotheosis can't make a talisman, so you may have to reabsorb your precious horcrux in order to attain apotheosis at all. Still, a lot of stuff in Guildhalls seems to be intended to ''take the edge'' off of apotheosis. Unison casting is impressive already. Entombed glory sounds like a good work around, as might the renhekau that alters your sekhem based on the local ghost manifestation modifier (though, I can't recall if that's a soul or guild affinity so that might be moot).

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
                      The way I remember it is that you lose your Cult after you reach Apotheosis. I don't remember it saying you can't get a new one but I do think that means you lose your last Tomb...

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post

The way I remember it is that you lose your Cult after you reach Apotheosis. I don't remember it saying you can't get a new one but I do think that means you lose your last Tomb...
                        I don't see why you should, in-universe. Do the people who've dedicated your lives to you all of a sudden stop believing? Sure, it's a bit harder to wow them with overt superhuman feats, but you've still got Affinities, Relics, the lower levels of Utterances and so on. You'd need to do some clever theologians ("I received a vision, and the Judges are false!") and you'd probably want to cut ties with other mummies' cults for fear of persecution, but I don't think the Cult just up and vanishes.

Comment

That is certainly not the case. The Heretic canonically maintains a pretty big cult. I'm looking at his stat block right now and it's not even given a dot rating, just described as "tremendous" and "well-hidden" and the Storyteller is just advised to assume he has access to basically any resource he needs.

In fact, I'm not sure where some of these mechanics are coming from. I haven't misread the conversation, have I? We are all people who have read the "Behind the screen" parts of Mummy?

Just in case we do have people here who aren't acquainted with the spoiler section, because some of this conversation is making me imagine that this must be the case, I'm going to be careful:
                          The rules for Apotheosis are pretty short. The only thing you lose is the option to have Sekhem higher than 1. You can still boost your stats to ridiculous levels though, since you now use your Memory for that. You basically just lose access to Tier 2 and 3 Utterances. In fact, you have a great, great deal of stable power as a free Mummy. Your physical prowess will usually be above any of your slave-peers who have been active more than a few days. Even Utterances can be attained easily with a friend.

Incidentally, I myself would rule that Entombed Glory and Talismans don't effectively increase your Sekhem anymore. Setting aside the fact that reaching for greater power is against the entire point of Apotheosis (i.e. "Power is the chain you bind yourself with"), the fact is that Memory now serves the function of Sekhem. Why would increasing Sekhem do anything for a being that doesn't draw power from Sekhem anymore? A literal reading at first suggests it would return access to that one thing you're missing, high tier Utterances, but an even closer reading says the opposite. "Once a soul has achieved Apotheosis it can no longer access any Utterance or Relic Power that requires a Sekhem rating higher than 1." It doesn't say this is because the Mummy's Sekhem is now stuck at 1, I read that as a new rule layered on top of the generic Sekhem rules. And I do this because this literal, even thick-headed, approach lends itself to a result that is thematically appropriate. Why grasp for the very thing you just worked so hard to be free of?

Comment

Originally posted by Azahul View Post
                            That is certainly not the case. The Heretic canonically maintains a pretty big cult. I'm looking at his stat block right now and it's not even given a dot rating, just described as "tremendous" and "well-hidden" and the Storyteller is just advised to assume he has access to basically any resource he needs.

In fact, I'm not sure where some of these mechanics are coming from. I haven't misread the conversation, have I? We are all people who have read the "Behind the screen" parts of Mummy?

Just in case we do have people here who aren't acquainted with the spoiler section, because some of this conversation is making me imagine that this must be the case, I'm going to be careful:
                            The rules for Apotheosis are pretty short. The only thing you lose is the option to have Sekhem higher than 1. You can still boost your stats to ridiculous levels though, since you now use your Memory for that. You basically just lose access to Tier 2 and 3 Utterances. In fact, you have a great, great deal of stable power as a free Mummy. Your physical prowess will usually be above any of your slave-peers who have been active more than a few days. Even Utterances can be attained easily with a friend.

Incidentally, I myself would rule that Entombed Glory and Talismans don't effectively increase your Sekhem anymore. Setting aside the fact that reaching for greater power is against the entire point of Apotheosis (i.e. "Power is the chain you bind yourself with"), the fact is that Memory now serves the function of Sekhem. Why would increasing Sekhem do anything for a being that doesn't draw power from Sekhem anymore? A literal reading at first suggests it would return access to that one thing you're missing, high tier Utterances, but an even closer reading says the opposite. "Once a soul has achieved Apotheosis it can no longer access any Utterance or Relic Power that requires a Sekhem rating higher than 1." It doesn't say this is because the Mummy's Sekhem is now stuck at 1, I read that as a new rule layered on top of the generic Sekhem rules. And I do this because this literal, even thick-headed, approach lends itself to a result that is thematically appropriate. Why grasp for the very thing you just worked so hard to be free of?
                            Fair enough. As I say, I have read most of the Mummy stuff, but I haven't had the books for very long, and I haven't re-read everything to make sure that I got it all.

Comment

One thing that you could do would be to allow the mummy to rebuild Sekhem by spending Experiences like other splats do. To keep that from getting out of hand, you could also make it so that losing a dot of Memory triggers an immediate Descent roll, and reactivates that whole process. Alternatively, you could give them some ability to temporarily have their Sekhem count as equal to their Memory for Utterance purposes, perhaps by spending one of each Pillar for a scene? I haven't played the game enough to know whether that would solve your issue or not, but those were the thoughts that I had reading this thread.

Currently working on: [REDACTED]
                              Projects I've contributed to: [REDACTED]

Comment

Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post
                                One thing that you could do would be to allow the mummy to rebuild Sekhem by spending Experiences like other splats do. To keep that from getting out of hand, you could also make it so that losing a dot of Memory triggers an immediate Descent roll, and reactivates that whole process. Alternatively, you could give them some ability to temporarily have their Sekhem count as equal to their Memory for Utterance purposes, perhaps by spending one of each Pillar for a scene? I haven't played the game enough to know whether that would solve your issue or not, but those were the thoughts that I had reading this thread.
                                I think a variation of the latter might work, from what I've read. Perhaps you can use Utterances of any tier, but you need to spend a number of points from whatever Pillar that tier is based on equal to the 'level' of the tier (e.g. if you wanted to use the 3rd tier of Blessed Is The God-King, you'd need to spend 5 points of your Defining Pillar), like you're powering it more from the sheer strength of your soul than you are drawing upon the latent super concentration of life-force within you. Then again, as I said, I'm not all that experienced with Mummy either. And as the good Azahul said earlier, it kind of goes against the theme of Apotheosis. Nice idea, though, and one I might use.

Comment

Working...
                                X