Homebrew Affinities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebrew Affinities

So, since there really isn't a thread about this (and there should be), here it is.

Up first, some general ideas I had for a few that need to be far more fleshed out:

An Ab-based one that grants resistance to Sybaris. Mostly for the mummy's cultists, but if a mortal somehow picked up the Affinity (through homebrew or a Relic), good for them too. Willpower expenditure my grant the Inspired Condition (or equivalent for 1E).
    An (likely) Ab-based one the convert Sybaris into a kind of Majesty-like effect.
    A (probably) Ka-based one that deals additional damage or give attack bonuses against Sekhem bearing creatures and objects.
    A Ba-based one that confers some kind of resistance. Maybe it lets you sub Ba for Supernatural Tolerance (good for mummies near the end of their Descent).
    A Sheut-based one the lets you detach your shadow to act as a spy. Maybe lets you possess it, or act through it. Maybe even lets a Mummy kind-of act while in Henet.

Obviously, mechanics (and even names) need more details. Anyone willing to help with that? Or post ideas of their own?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Come to think of it, I should probably get an Utterances thread up. That said, I'll need to revisit the Affinity mechanics first, but I'll see what I can think up for your listed concepts.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Dark Eras: Ruins of Empire contains "Form of the Sybaritic Need," an Ab (*****) Affinity for all your Majesty (sic Enticement Sybaris) needs. I'll try spitballing some ideas for the others.

The Ba one sounds a lot like Su-Menent's "Fated Soul" bonus Guild Affinity, or at least the last bullet point for it anyway. Hmm... the fearlessness aspect falls well within the write-up for the Ba Decree as well, at least that's my read. (Remind me again why "Dauntless Explorer" is Ka? The rundown for the Ba Decree reads like they all have this Affinity.) Anyway, Lore of the Deceived had "Harvesting Named Truths," an Affinity that was both a Ren (*****) Soul Affinity and a Deceived Guild (**) Affinity, so maybe just lifting it isn't completely out of the question. If not, my sleep-addled brain seems to think "Contempt of Slings and Arrows" sounds thematic.

The Ka like-cuts-like Affinity could probably work like the other two close combat boosts it has, "Dominating Might" and "Guardian's Wrath." Edit: Forgot Sheut has "Grip of Death" with similar structure. Give relevant attacks +2, spend willpower or fulfill condition for +Pillar, don't take damage from headbutting stuff. Though that might be a bit overdone, so maybe spend a Willpower to drop the target number for applicable attacks for a scene? I'm feeling heretical, so I'll submit "Deicide" as a possible name.

The Ab one I'm assuming you want the Arisen (or lucky human) to project a sort of dampening field that protects his cultists from the Sybaris of other Arisen? Should it be a passive radius out to Ab times X yards, or should the protection be focused on those touched by the Arisen's immortal soul? Maybe just +Ab to resist Sybaris, or Ab one +1, Ab three +2, Ab five +3? Or just have Fate load the dice, and drop the target number? I don't know, name-wise all I can think of is "Lion Lays with Lamb." Shamelessly Bible cribbing, I know.

The Sheut one sounds so freaking badass. Shame I've got nothing right now, aside from noting Soul Affinities with overtly supernatural abilities tend to only work without observers. So your shadow won't be strangling enemy cultists or have really overt abilities. Still, I think some leeway can be made for gaslighting them.
      Last edited by KageMCS; 03-11-2017, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X