Strengths of Mummies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strengths of Mummies

Obviously, mummies are quite powerful in many respects. They are fantastically hard to kill, are able to seal the flesh, and there are some toys in Lore of the Deceived that scares me. However, what else is there?

It has been said that Mummy is among the top three splats for power along with Mage and Demon. While power is fairly vague, what are some of the unique advantages or powers mummies have access to that brings them into that vaunted company?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Third Tier Utterances can be absolutely bananas; the one that strikes a mile radius around you asteroids is the one that always comes up.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Yeah, it's the Utterances. Plus all the goodies that come with their "default" power stat rating being a lot higher than most PCs.

2E Legacy Updates
      Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
      Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
      Storm Keepers

Comment

There's also relics. Five dot relics can rival or exceed even third tier Utterances, and many can only be wielded by or only effect Mummies. Some require Sekhem or Pillars to activate, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Exthalion View Post
          Obviously, mummies are quite powerful in many respects. They are fantastically hard to kill, are able to seal the flesh, and there are some toys in Lore of the Deceived that scares me. However, what else is there?

It has been said that Mummy is among the top three splats for power along with Mage and Demon. While power is fairly vague, what are some of the unique advantages or powers mummies have access to that brings them into that vaunted company?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
          Until 2e of Mummy comes around I hesitate to say they are quite on par with Mages and Demons. In theory they should be, but the splat power disparity between 1e and 2e puts Mummies somewhat behind Mages & Demons in the 'Holy Shit' power department.

That said, Mummies excel at the following things:
          1. Sekhem. The most obvious difference, Mummies powerstat starts at 10 and falls to 0. The fall is swift, sure, but given that most PCs rarely ever see Supernatural Advantage over 5, to run the whole gamut ten to one potentially MORE THAN ONCE makes Mummies unique. Only Demons have a similar option, and it costs them their entire Cover (and probably their existence).
          2. Durability. In 1e Mummies are undisputed kings of endurance, only Sin-Eaters come close, and even then not very. 2e Durability shot through the roof (see Werewolves), but even by 2e standards the ability to return from death ~5 times is a big deal. Mummies also heal swiftly, though only moderately so by 2e standards.
          3. Utterances. By 1e Standards Tier 3 utterances are bonkers. Some moreso than others. With the right Utterances Mummies can shred any form of magic, smash an city with meteors or erase a person wholly from existence. However, the cost of these can be somewhat steep, especially by 2e Standards (where other splats can also accomplished the aforementioned feats). Nevertheless, Tier 3 Utterances remain exceptionally powerful, and will (hopefully) see an appropriate power hike for 2e.
          4. Physical Prowess. Even when a Mummy isn't calling down godlike powers or brushing off a tactical nuclear strike, they are physically, socially and mentally superhuman. Affinities offer a host of passive bonuses that vault even a low Sekhem Mummy into the rungs of the superhuman. These powers rarely cost anything to activate and frequently offer considerable bonuses to common rolls, giving Mummies a clear leg up in the mundane game.
          5. Cult. Most splats can have followers, but Mummy has them baked in, and with levels of influence that go well beyond what most others can get from merits alone. A Mummy's cult is a powerful asset, with potentially vast reach and influence Mummies are just about the only splat that can delegate extended projects on the scale of decades.
          6. Age. Coming off the cults, all Mummies are 6,000+ years old. Though most of that time was spent sleeping, Mummies are still vastly older than any other playable splat. This makes Mummies absolute pros at the long game. Of course, not all problems can be addressed by sleeping for 100 years, but for those projects that can a Mummy can try again, and again, and again, and again.

Onyx Path Moderator
          Mod Voice is RED*
          *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
          Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

One thing that must be mentioned about Cult: Not only do they have a lot of power in that, but a lot of their powers go and take it an extra step by offering mummies a majority of powers for the purpose of empowering people.
            Last edited by ArcaneArts; 03-14-2017, 09:13 PM.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
            Work Blog Coming Soon
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
              One thing that must be mentioned about Cult: Not only do they have a lot of power in that, but a lot of their powers go and take it an extra step by offering mummies a majority of powers for the purpose of empowering people.
              Yeah, this can't be overstated. A Mummy steps out of character creation immortal, capable of terrifying miracles, and with a globe-spanning network of mortal servants.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

They also get 20XP straight out of the box at character creation, don't they? That's not exactly something to sneeze at.

Oh, there's also Sybaris to add here! For the Arisen, Unease Sybaris is a passive recruitment tool. People living near your Tomb (and other forms of Iremite architecture, I assume, but I don't have Necropolis: Rio yet) suffer it, people who speak to you suffer it, people who speak to your servants suffer it. Sybaris crushes people with the weight of the Wheel of Fate, tainting them with the touch of Duat, making them see their own lives and goals as worthless, seeking out things that will enable them to leave a legacy. What gives off an aura of eternal vitality and power? Concentrated Sekhem, meaning any halfways decent Cult Leader with a Relic (or a live Mummy) can more or less go "I am the answer to all of your questions. Serve me."

Terror Sybaris, when the Arisen reveal their undead shape, leaves a person gibbering in terror in a best case scenario, and comatose in a worst case scenario. They barely even see the divine corpse, but the aura of Sybaris warps around them, shaped by Decree, Guild, and Judge into a shape both eldritch and terrible that makes you feel like a mote before the eye of a particularly unforgiving god.

For the Deceived, Sybaris is an active recruitment tool. When people see their shape in Terror Sybaris, they don't see a Thing That Should Not Be, they see a thing That Must Be, something more than an immortal, an eternal that exists because Fate decrees that it must. More importantly, when someone bows before them, they join the cult. They rise, unafraid but enchained, and the Deceived are tangible gods in a way the Arisen are not. There are Affinities that let you empower others, but Deceived Cultists gain power by default, and if the Deceived is well-respected by their fellows and their master, then the powers expressed by their Cultists grow.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Yeah, the power of Terror Sybaris is pretty notable. It can easily trivialise combat encounters between Mummies and humans. A Mummy with no combat Utterances, Affinities, or abilities, even at Sekhem 1, can still be all but impossible for a mob of humans to harm. They flash their true form, every human in the area makes for the hills as likely as not.

Comment

I do remember an apocryphal episode, where apparently the developers of Mummy had this sticky note when they started making the game: "You start as the Prince."

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                      I do remember an apocryphal episode, where apparently the developers of Mummy had this sticky note when they started making the game: "You start as the Prince."
                      "Fuck it, you start as the Prince," more specifically.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                      Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                        "Fuck it, you start as the Prince," more specifically.
                        Heh, that was it. Nice tone in presenting the mummies.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

I'm curious as to what an actual game of Mummy would look like, given the above mentioned facts. I don't know much about the system, only the basics - you're old, powerful and get weaker the longer you're awake - but it seems like an interesting departure from the standard "slow crawl from weak to god-mode" that other splats are. Of course, it could also be frustrating to work within those restrictions, so...yeah! Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Gellydog View Post
                            I'm curious as to what an actual game of Mummy would look like, given the above mentioned facts. I don't know much about the system, only the basics - you're old, powerful and get weaker the longer you're awake - but it seems like an interesting departure from the standard "slow crawl from weak to god-mode" that other splats are. Of course, it could also be frustrating to work within those restrictions, so...yeah! Interesting.
                            Not to seem like I'm plugging myself or anything, buuuuuut...

Comment

Working...
                            X