Attempt at updating Mummy to Chronicles of Darkness/2nd ed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attempt at updating Mummy to Chronicles of Darkness/2nd ed

A while ago, I ran a Mummy game and really loved the setting, and I've been wanting to update it to 2nd/Chronicles for some time. I started working on it a couple months ago, but the project was - predictably - a bit bigger than I initially imagined.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue it, so I thought I'd throw it on the forums and see what people think. See if I should get back to writing more of it.

It is unfinished, with large sections missing right now (particularly Utterances, the Judges, and Amkhata), but here's what I have so far.

Post Script: Sorry about the big wall of text, I was trying to get the formatting right with google docs, but it just was not cooperating.
    Last edited by Lhangdon_Rhyme; 03-23-2017, 11:32 PM.

Pillars

All souls are composed of five parts. Mummies know this truth. In the moment they were judged, their souls were laid bare and illuminated, allowing them to affect the world with the power of their inner selves. Each of the five Pillars have unique abilities that Mummies may draw upon by spending Pillar points.
    Some Pillars have to be rolled to utilize their power. Mummies never suffer unskilled penalties when activating their Pillars this way.
    Each Pillar is a piece of a Mummy's soul, they do not swell in power without reason. Before purchasing a new Pillar dot, the mummy must accomplish some task that strengthens that aspect of their soul. Some suggestions are included in the Pillar descriptions.

[Designer's note: I thought it would be cool if the Pillars were tied to a mummy's innate abilities. Originally, I considered having Pillars act like renown, where if you purchase a Pillar point, you also got an Affinity. But, ultimately, Pillars are also an energy stat, and I didn't want to raise their cost too much.]

Ab
    The Heart

The seat of a Mummy's emotions and intentions, as well as their ability to connect with and understand others. By exerting their emotional soul, a Mummy can call upon Iab and know the thoughts, health, and languages of their cultists.
    Strengthened by: forging a deeper connection with other people, experiencing love and meaningful intimacy, horrific grief or loss.
    • A Mummy may spend a point of Ab to use Iab.

Iab
    Cost: 1 Ab
    Dice Pool: Ab + Empathy
    Action: Reflexive

Roll Results
    Dramatic Failure: The Mummy's Soul is overwhelmed by the souls of their Cultists, and gains the Madness Condition for a number of days equal to their Ab.
    Failure: The Mummy's Ab doesn't reach far enough, or their Cultists' souls refuse such intrusion.
    Success: The Mummy's Ab reaches out into the souls of their Cultists. The Mummy may use one of the following effects for each success they rolled.
    • Gain a general sense of their Cult's greatest concerns, joys, and fears, or the things that occupy most of the Cult's attention. This also allows the Mummy to gain a rough understanding of the current time period's emotional pressures and social mores.
    • Read one of their Cultist's emotions, giving the Mummy a +2 bonus on social manoeuvrings with that Cultist.
    • Learn the location and health of one of their Cultists.
    • Gain one Language merit known by any of their Cultists. The Mummy will never forget any languages they learn this way.
    • Grant a willing person the first dot of the Mummy's Mystery Cult Initiation merit, thus making them a member of the Mummy's Cult. A Mummy may use Iab in this way on their Summoners, even if the Summoner is unwilling. Other Mummies, Sadikhs and Fasads are immune to this coerced initiation.
    Exceptional Success: In addition to the normal effect, the Mummy gains a Connected or Informed Condition relating to their Cult.

[Designer's Note: This ability would replace a Mummy's ability to learn any language by speaking it for an hour.]

Ba
    The Spirit

Personality, animation, and courage, the Ba calls the Mummy to action. By exerting their spirit, the Mummy can resist the Descent. Ba also determines how many Sadikhs the Mummy can wake.
    Strengthened by: grand victories, fearless charges leading many into great danger, valuing your own desires above that of your Judge.
    • Once per chapter, a Mummy may spend a point of Ba to re-roll a Descent roll.
    • A Mummy may have a number of active Sadikhs equal to their Ba rating.
    • A Mummy must spend a point of Ba when creating a Sadikh.

Ka
    The Essence

Determination, willpower, and the animating force of the soul, Ka allows the Mummy to endure punishments no other creature could withstand.
    Strengthened by: enduring monumental challenge and danger, refusing to change your mind at great cost, greeting terrible events with measured calm.
    • A Mummy may spend a point of Ka to ignore all damage and tilts from a single attack.
    • A Mummy may spend a point of Ka to Seal the Flesh. For the rest of the scene, they heal one lethal damage a turn, and can't be killed except by supernatural means. They'll go down to their last level of aggravated health, but no further, unless the killing blow is delivered by magic, a relic, or the natural weapons of a supernatural creature.

[Designer's Note: Seal the Flesh is a really cool ability, but I often found in my games that it just meant a physical fight with a Mummy necessitated grappling it into submission with a giant dogpile and punching over and over again for longer than I usually wanted to play out. It didn't feel very dramatic. This update does make Mummies easier to kill in combat, but luckily you can't ever truly kill a Mummy.]

Ren
    The Name

Truth, identity, and piece of destiny within every soul, Ren allows Mummies to activate Kepher and search the skein of fate for relics and the trails of Sekhem that fill the world.
    Strengthened by: Learning great and powerful secrets, sharing profound truths, choosing destiny or your Judge over yourself.
    • A Mummy may spend a point of Ren to activate Kepher. See the Systems section for more details.

Sheut
    The Shadow

The hidden self, Sheut represents the secret side of every soul. The primordial truths that lurk in every shadow, and the promise of death to come. Sheut allows a Mummy to sidestep the Judge's gaze, and control Sybaris.
    Strengthened by: taking time to explore the parts of yourself that frighten you, risk breaking points often, surrendering to fate.
    • An Arisen may spend a point of Sheut to shroud their soul from their Judge for a scene. This allows them to perform the following actions without risking Descent: blaspheme against the Judges; allow others to blaspheme against the Judges; interact peacefully with Shuankhsen; profess their love to a mortal using their true name in Iremite; or create a lasting account of their deeds that gives glory to themselves alone.
    • A Mummy may roll their Sheut + Sekhem in place of Power Attribute + Sekhem to resist a vampire's predatory aura, a werewolf flaring their renown, or similar effects.
    • A Mummy may spend a point of Sheut to inflict Sybaris Infection. Mummies, Sadikhs and Fasads are immune to Sybaris Infection, but other supernatural beings are not. When you do this, you reveal your Corpse Sahu.

Sybaris Infection
    Cost: 1 Sheut
    Dice Pool: Sheut + Intimidation vs highest Resolve + Sekhem
    Action: Instant

Roll Results
    Dramatic Failure: The Mummy's shadow self surges out of control. The Mummy, and every member of their Cult, gains the Broken Condition.
    Failure: The Mummy's shadow self doesn't infect others with the sickness. Nothing happens.
    Success: The target gains a Sybaris Condition of your choice, even if they have a supernatural template.
    Exceptional Success: You may inflict a Sybaris Condition on everyone who can perceive you.

Other Uses of Pillar Points
    Mummies may spent a point from any Pillar to do the following:
    • Activate an Utterance.
    • Activate a Relic or Seba, if spending a Pillar point is required.

Regaining Pillar Points

Mummies may meditate to regain Pillar points. This takes a number of hours equal to the Mummy's Memory rating (or Integrity rating for Shuankhsen). The Mummy then rolls their Memory as a dice pool. Each success refills one Pillar point of the Mummy's choice.
    Memory Triggers can also refill a Mummy's Pillar points, and The Tomb merit adds to Meditation rolls.
    Last edited by Lhangdon_Rhyme; 03-23-2017, 11:25 PM.

Comment

The Decrees

All Decrees are now associated with Aptitudes. Aptitudes take the place of favoured attributes. Instead of getting a point in your decree's favoured attribute, you gain a bonus on rolls with that Attribute based on your Sekhem level. Choose one Attribute from your Decree's list, this becomes one of your Aptitudes.
      Each Decree has a list of Memory Triggers. These represent acts that might help your character gain Sebayt beats, as well as the kinds of memories a Mummy is most likely to regain. When your character encounters a situation that matches one of these triggers, gain a Sebayt beat.
      When you gain a Sebayt beat from one of these triggers, you also regain either all pillar points in your defining pillar, or 1 point in another pillar of your choice.

[Designer's note: one of the most common issues I hear on the forums is how the Decrees feel vestigial. I wanted to shake up their personalities a bit and give them a bit more teeth mechanically.]

Heart
      The Lion-headed

When asked why they were worthy, the Lion-headed decreed, “True love. Vengeance. Duty to others. Sorrow. Because of all the people I will not leave behind.”
      Heart is the Decree of connection. A devotion to the intimate webs of fate that bind all people together. The Lion-headed rely on their emotions to steer them towards righteous action, as their memories cannot be trusted. Even if that connection brings hatred and violence, it is fated. It is sacred.
      The Lion-headed are a disparate lot. One Lion might take mortal lovers in each of their Descents and bask in love and adoration. Another might treasure their frustrations and failures, and celebrate every bitter enmity they can remember. They devote themselves utterly to their sympathies.
      Even though the Lion-headed are guided by their emotional connections, Mummies experience the world differently than mortals. Over the centuries the people they care about die over and over again, or Memory steals them away. Thus, the Lions gravitate towards a broader perspective. Communities, networks of people, cults, and even cities last longer than individuals. The Lion-headed shape these macro-connections, expertly pushing the emotions of those around them towards the Mummy's goals. Or the Judge's.
      They are intensely invested in people, but they know all too well how temporary mortal life can be. Letting a few things die to preserve or strengthen the whole is sometimes necessary, and the overall health of the community tends to be more important than one being. But, like the Jackal-headed, the Lions understand the value of subtlety and restraint. Emotion is a delicate tool.
      The Lion-headed often find themselves drawn to the Maa-kep for their interest in relationships and groups, though the Tef-Aabhi's obsession with the bigger picture attracts many Lions as well. But they are well represented in every guild.
      Defining Pillar: Ab.
      Aptitude: Presence or Manipulation.
      Memory Triggers: Intimacy with mortals, bitter hatreds, intense grief, meaningful interactions with their cultists, manipulating others by plying their emotions, or shaping the emotions of a great number of people, making new Allies or True Friends.

Spirit
      The Falcon-headed

When asked why they were worthy, the Falcon-headed decreed, “Ambition. Desire. Power. Because I will prove myself worthy. Because there is so much more to do.”
      Ba is the Decree of action, of want and need and now. Rule from the chariot, not the throne. Always striving, reaching forward, always thinking of the next step. The Falcon-headed often seek out leadership roles, but unlike the Bull-headed they are also content to serve. As long as they can act decisively.
      Catering to their own desires is what the Mesen-Nebu do best, while more ambitious Falcons join the Tef-Aabhi and try to remake the world.
      Defining Pillar: Ba.
      Aptitude: Wits or Dexterity
      Memory Triggers: Grand victories, leading from the front of a dangerous mission, self-improvement, rising in rank or status, achieving aspirations.

[Designer's note: Ba is pretty much unchanged. I think this Decree is a distinct, alternate interpretation of the “leader-ish” archetype that a lot of the splats share, and I like it a lot.]

Essence
      The Bull-headed

When asked why they were worthy, the Bull-headed decreed, “Because I am. Because I am myself. Because I know every part of my soul. Because you could not ask for a better servant. Because you don't dare refuse me.”
      The Decree of Essence is the Decree of life. The animating force that binds the soul to the living world. And life is a stubborn, proud thing. The Bull-headed say the Arisen themselves are children of pride. For who else would look death in the eye and say, “I deserve better.”
      Compromise is a foreign concept to the Bull-headed. Defeat a fable. Bulls are both juggernaut and mountain. When a Bull decides on a course of action, fate itself bends beneath their feet. They have stood before the Judges and been deemed worthy. What more proof do you need that their cause is righteous? Absolutism among the Bull-headed is common, as is an intense devotion to the Judges. It is rare to find a Bull without principals, whatever they may be.
      The Bull-headed live by their word and are often slaves to tradition. They are slow to change or adapt, and can become complacent in success. This pride hinders their relationships with others. When every hill is worth dying for, any effort is a death march. As much as they might want to rule, command is not always their strong suit.
      Few Bulls are strangers to combat. Standing your ground without compromise is dangerous, especially when enforcing the laws of the Judges. At some point during their eternal existences, most Bull-headed find a reason to take up the sword.
      The Bull-Headed number highly among the individualistic Mesen-Nebu, while those more devoted to the Judges share their uncompromising visions with the Su-Menet.
      Defining Pillar: Ka.
      Aptitude: Resolve or Stamina
      Memory Triggers: Holding your ground against great odds, using your self-knowledge to solve a problem, moments when your pride turns out to be justified, combat.

Name
      The Serpent-headed

When asked why they were worthy, the Serpent-headed decreed, “Knowledge. Understanding. Truth. Wonder. Because the world is dark and blind and I want it to blaze with light. Because there are still so many questions.”
      Ren is the decree of truth. The decree of light and knowledge and names, which illuminate the world. Serpents are defined by their hunger for truth and information, and often serve as scholars to their Guilds.
      But, it is not enough to know truth. You must give it to others. Teach wisdom, bring law, express your ideas, destroy falsehoods, right wrongs. And if the masses won't open their eyes, you will have to make them see. Truth must belong to all, or it's just another secret.
      Overwhelmingly, the Serpent-headed belong to the Sesha-Hebsu. In fact, they make up most of its population. A sizable minority of the Serpent-headed join the Mesen-Nebu for alchemical knowledge. Few Serpents belong to the Maa-Kep or Su-Menet.
      Defining Pillar: Ren.
      Aptitude: Intelligence or Wits
      Memory Triggers: Discovery, teaching someone an important lesson, revealing a lie, finding innovative solutions, solving puzzles and unsolved challenges.

Shadow
      The Jackal-headed

When asked why they were worthy, the Jackal-headed decreed, “Enlightenment. Faith. Because I know things dark and terrible that should not be lost. Because I am necessary. Because I will serve no matter the cost. Because you need someone to pull the weeds from your garden.”
      Sheut is the Decree of secrets. Of sacred and terrible knowledge that must not be unleashed upon the world. Deep in the shadows and hidden places, the Jackals swim in Ammut's wake, tracing her steps. For if you know your enemy, you can overcome them.
      The Jackal-headed cull and winnow. They do these things because they know the horrible truth, one they will spare you from ever having to learn. And because of this, they can seem cruel.
      Jackals are drawn to mystery. While the Serpents have scientists, judges and scholars, the Jackals have mystics, prophets, and occultists.
      At ease with bleak secrets and shepherding wayward flocks, the Jackals are most comfortable within the ranks of the Maa-Kep and the Su-Menet.
      Defining Pillar: Sheut.
      Aptitude: Composure or Manipulation
      Memory Triggers: Sacrifice, necessary evils, protective deceptions, anonymous benevolence, risking breaking points, rituals, hidden knowledge.

Comment

Sybaris

The unnatural concentration of Sekhem within a Mummy can infect the minds and souls of other beings. Sybaris, the Sickness, is strongest when a Mummy first awakens from henet, but never truly goes away. There are three kinds of Sybaris, and they each have specific triggers and effects.
        Sybaris is often detrimental to a Mummy's efforts, especially when dealing with their own cult. Mummies may mitigate the effects of Sybaris by recalling their connections to others, and drawing upon their own Memories to spare people from the Sickness.
        Mummies, Sadikhs, and Fasads are immune to all forms of Sybaris, and cannot gain Sybaris Conditions.

[Designer's note: Mitigating Sybaris will be included in the revisions for Memory.]

Unease Sybaris

The presence of a Mummy subtly suffuses the area where it resides. A gradual sense of anxiety and unease creeps into everyone who spends time around Mummies. Even a victim's dreams aren't safe from Sybaris. Those affected by this form of Sybaris begin to dream of symbols and events from Irem's history.
        Those affected by Unease Sybaris often feel their lives become trivial and impermanent, and find comfort in religion, tradition, or anything that might withstand the passage of time.

Unease Sybaris manifests in the following circumstances:
        • Entering a Mummy's Tomb.
        • Touching a Relic that is currently claimed by a Mummy.
        • Sleeping near a Mummy, within a number of miles equal to the Mummy's Sekhem.

Resisting Unease Sybaris
        Dice Pool: Resolve + Composure + Sekhem - the Mummy's Sekhem

Roll Results
        Dramatic Failure: Your mind is flooded with images, symbols, and scenes of Irem, the Judges, and the Nameless Empire. You might sleepwalk, hallucinate, or find yourself writing Iremite symbols on anything around you. You gain the Unease Sybaris Condition and the Madness Condition for a number of days equal to the Mummy's Sekhem.
        Failure: You gain the Unease Sybaris Condition.
        Success: You resist the sickness, and gain no Sybaris Conditions.
        Exceptional Success: you gain the Omen Sybaris Condition.

Terror Sybaris

Naturally occurring Terror Sybaris only affects mortals. If a supernatural creature would be subject to Terror Sybaris, they are instead affected by Unease Sybaris. This restriction does not apply when a Mummy is using their Sheut points to infect others with Sybaris.

Terror Sybaris manifests in the following circumstances:
        • You witness a Mummy wake from death.
        • You witness a Mummy undergo a resurrection.
        • You witness a Mummy assume their true corpse-like form for the first time.
        • You witness a Mummy take Aggravated damage.

Resisting Terror Sybaris
        Dice Pool: Resolve + Composure + Sekhem vs Sheut + Sekhem

Roll Results
        Dramatic Failure: You gain the Terror Sybaris Condition and the Broken Condition.
        Failure: You gain the Terror Sybaris Condition.
        Success: You resist the sickness, and gain no Sybaris Conditions.
        Exceptional Success: you gain the Omen Sybaris Condition and the Witness merit.

Sybaris Conditions

Condition: Unease Sybaris
        Your life seems fragile, transitory, and impermanent. You receive a -1 penalty on composure rolls. You may only regain willpower by serving symbols, individuals, and organizations that have stood the test of time and seem more permanent than yourself. This Condition fades after a number of days equal to the Sekhem of the Mummy who inflicted it on you.
        Beat: sacrificesomething meaningful for your organization, abandon one of your major ambitions or relationships, ignore your responsibilities by performing rituals related to your new obsessions.
        Resolution: n/a
        Condition: Terror Sybaris
        You are struck with a deep and elemental fear that blasts your mind and makes the Mummy the most important thing in your psyche. You receive a -3 penalty on all dice pools while in the Mummy's Presence.
        Resolution: flee from the source of your fear, enter a catatonic state for a scene, beg the Mummy for mercy, worship the source of this Condition, kill or imprison the Mummy.
        Condition: Omen Sybaris
        Gain the Omen Sensitivity supernatural merit, even if you couldn't normally.
        Resolution: receive important information related to your own future.

Comment

Systems and Advantages for Mummy: the Curse

Mummies, whether Arisen, Deceived, or Shuankhsen, are creatures animated by powerful magics, sustained by the Sekhem that flows in and out of their souls. The Rite of Return, in all it's variations, bestows Mummies with endurance and many other gifts. At the cost of becoming slaves to beings beyond the ken of mortals.

Sekhem
          Sekhem is a Mummy's (or Greater Amkhata's) Supernatural Advantage statistic. It provides several benefits as descirbed below.

Sekhem Attr & Skill max Pillars/Turn Utterance Level Aptitudes Other
          10 10 5/1 5 +4 Might of Duat, 4/4 Armor
          9 9 4/1 5 +3 2/2 Armor
          8 8 3/1 5 +3 1/1 Armor
          7 7 2/1 5 +3 1/1 Armor
          6 6 2/1 5 +2
          5 5 2/1 5 +2
          4 5 2/1 4 +2
          3 5 2/1 3 +1
          2 5 1/1 2 +1
          1 5 1/1 1 +0

[Designer's note: Mummies retain the Possession Immunity, Refreshing the Will, Repairing the Sahu, and Unclean Remains effects of Sekhem. The other benefits of Sekhem are described in different sections of this revision.]

Aptitudes
          All Mummies gain a static bonuses to some of their Attributes. All Mummies have an Aptitude for Strength. Most Mummies have an additional Aptitude as well.

Might of Duat
          When a Mummy awakens at Sekhem 10, woe betide any who would stand in its way. At Sekhem 10, Mummies use Down and Dirty combat, unless their opponent has some special/supernatural means to fight them.

The Descent

Sekhem When You Make a Descent Roll Failing the roll adds
          10 One Scene One Scene
          9 Two Scenes One Scene
          8 Three Scenes Two Scenes
          7 One Chapter Two Scenes
          6 One Chapter Three Scenes
          5 Two Chapters Three Scenes
          4 Three Chapters One Chapter
          3 One Story One Chapter
          2 Two Stories Two Chapters
          1 One Chronicle One Story

[Designer's note: The Descent roll itself is unchanged.]

Henet
          This is the default state of a Mummy. Dead. Resting inanimate in the slumber of ages. But Mummies may be called out of Henet by Summoners, or by intruders into their Tomb.

Awakening
          Awakening a Mummy requires three things: a Mummy, a Summoner, and a source of Sekhem to call the Mummy into life (Or, a tomb thief).
          The Summoner must have a source of Sekhem present to call the Mummy into life. This can be a Relic, Vestige, or Seba of the Summoner's choice. Sadikhs and Fasads also have their own methods of giving Sekhem to their masters. The process of Awakening a Mummy can be as simple or as ritualized as the Summoner wishes. But, ultimately, it doesn't take much time.
          For some reason, unknown to Mummies, a Mummy may not sacrifice their own Sekhem to awaken another Mummy. They must use the same tools as mortal Summoners.

Awakening
          Cost: Sekhem (either from a Relic, Vestige, Seba, Sadikh, or Fasad).
          Dice Pool: Intelligence or Presence + Occult.
          Action: Instant

Roll Results
          Dramatic Failure: The Mummy's soul is catastrophically damaged. Arisen might become Shuankhsen, Decieved might awaken with their Temakh in control for a full Descent, and Shuankhsen might lose a dot of Integrity as Ammut shreds their soul.
          Failure: You do not Awaken the Mummy.
          Success: The Mummy awakens. The Summoner then states the purpose of the Mummy's Descent. If the Mummy accepts, their Descent begins.
          Exceptional Success: The Mummy awakens as normal, but cannot harm the Summoner for the full Duration of this Descent. The Mummy doesn't know this until they accept the purpose.

The Summoner then states the Mummy's purpose, the reason they have been called to life. Serving this purpose becomes the focus of the Mummy's Descent. The Mummy is under no obligation to accept this purpose. They may refuse to serve, and immediately fall back into death. If the Summoner forgets or refuses to state a purpose, the Mummy falls back into Henet after a few turns.
          A Mummy may accept a purpose in bad faith, without honest intention of fulfiling it. But their Sekhem will plummet quickly if they betray or ignore their purpose.
          Using a particular Relic, Seba, or Vestige more than once a year to awaken a Mummy is dangerous, and risks destroying the Vessel. If you do so, roll the vessel's rating as a dice pool. Failure means the vessel is destroyed, and creates a lesser Amkhata.
          [Designer's note: Awakening a Mummy no longer drains a Relic's powers. Instead, overuse risks breaking the Relic.]
          Additionally, whenever someone breaks into a Mummy's tomb, touches the Mummy's corpse, or attempts to damage their body in Henet, the Mummy immediately awakens at Sekhem 10 and Memory 1. Its purpose is to defend itself and its tomb from immediate danger. Successful Summoners learn never to shake a Mummy awake. Most of the time, these “guardian awakenings” only last a scene.

Resurrection
          When a Mummy first awakens from death their memories are sluggish and dreamlike. Arisen and Decieved always awaken with Memory 1, but after a Scene their Memory returns to it's full rating.
          Shuankhsen, on the other hand, remember everything and always wake screaming in terror. Their henet is full of endless nightmares and dreams of Ammut. They awaken with Integrity 1, but it returns to its full rating after a Scene.
          If a Mummy is killed during a Decent, they lose a dot of Sekhem and will return to life in a few hours, after undergoing a Death Cycle. A Mummy may spend an additional Sekhem to return to life after a Scene. If they're at Sekhem 1 when they die, their Descent ends and they enter Henet.
          Returning to life heals all Bashing and Lethal damage, and Aggravated damage equal to the Mummy's Memory/Integrity rating.

Interstitial Awakenings and Sothic Turns
          Occasionally, a Mummy will awaken spontaneously, by the whims of Fate. These are called Interstitial Awakenings. Interstitial Awakenings are considered great omens to the Arisen, heralding some event of great importance. It is the Mummy's job to find out why Fate has called them to life. During an Interstitial Awakening, the Mummy does not awaken with a particular purpose, but their Sekhem still decays at a normal rate. The Storyteller is the ultimate arbitrator of when an Interstitial Awakening occurs.
          Additionally, Sothic Turns occur every couple of thousand years. Whenever a Sothic Turn occurs, all Mummies Awaken, everywhere. Otherwise, a Sothic turn is similar to an Interstitial Awakening.

[Designer's note: this is a device for the Storyteller to have Mummies awaken spontaneously, and removes the Interstitial Awakening merit from Dark Eras.]

Draining Vessels of Sekhem
          A Mummy may cannibalize the Sekhem in a Relic, Vestige or Seba as an instant action. This destroys the Vessel, but can potentially give the Mummy's own stores. Roll a number of dice equal to the Vessel's rating. Each success gives the Mummy an additional Sekhem.
          Vestiges are particularly suited to this purpose, and will always acheive a minimum of 1 success on this roll.
          Mummies may also attempt to do this with the magical items of other supernautral creatures, but the roll recieves a -3 penalty. Dramatic failure causes the Mummy to lose a dot of Sekhem.

The Sahu
          A Mummy's body is a necromantic construct made of calcified Sekhem. Your Sahu often resembles your original living body, but over time your self-perception and mental imbalances can alter it's form.

[Designer's note: all the cosmetic aspects of the Sahu remain unchanged from Mummy: the Curse. How you look at the various levels of Sekhem, the blue-gray tinge of your true corpse-like form, and how well Memory lets you mimic signs of life, are all unchanged.]

Life and Death
          • A Mummy is both alive and dead. Though the Sahu can breathe, eat, sleep, blink, and perform every other bodily function, it doesn't need to. A Mummy is immune to any effect that targets its autonomic functions.
          • Under medical examination, Mummies do not normally pass for a living being. They lack internal organs, their hearts don't beat, and they don't need to breathe.
          • A successful Composure + Medicine roll allows a Mummy to mimic true life for a scene. They can will their heart to beat, their Sahu to form veins and organs, etc...

Damage
          • Mummies take bashing damage from nearly all mundane sources of damage. They take Lethal damage from specific supernatural sources of damage.
          • Fire and Relic weapons deal aggravated damage to Mummies.
          • Mummies can't be knocked unconscious.
          • There is no benefit to targeting a Mummy's sensory organs or vital organs, as both are purely ornamental.
          • Mummies may ignore the damage and tilts from a single attack by spending a point of Ka (see the Pillars section).
          • When a Mummy takes Aggravated damage, pieces of their Sahu loses cohesiveness. The site of their injury becomes a swirling mass of dust, ash, and magic in the shape of the Mummy's body. This reveals the Corpse Sahu, and triggers Terror Sybaris.

Healing
          • Mummies heal one Bashing damage per minute.
          • Mummies heal one Lethal damage per hour.
          • Mummies heal one Aggravated damage every three days.
          • Mummies may Seal the Flesh by spending a point of Ka (see the Pillars section). While Sealing the Flesh, the Mummy cannot take damage past their last box of Aggravated damage, unless it would kill them with damage from a supernatural source.

Revealing the Corpse Sahu
          A Mummy's true corpse-like form shows through in the following circumstances, triggering Terror Sybaris.
          • When at Sekhem 9-10.
          • When they activate an Utterance.
          • When they spend a point of Sheut to activate Sybaris Infection (see the Pillars section).
          • When they take Aggravated damage.

Inner Reflection
          The Sahu is a construct, bound in part to a Mummy's will. When a Mummy's mind is burdened or imbalanced, it is reflected in their Sahu.
          • Whenever a Mummy gains a Condition related to their mental health or well-being, such as Broken, Madness, or any other Condition relating to serious psychological issues, the Mummy's Sahu changes to reflect the Condition. When a Mummy gains one of these Conditions, they choose whether they gain a Subtle or Blatant change. Either way, the Mummy does not control the shape these transformations take.
          • Subtle changes are transformations that stay within the boundaries of natural human features. The Mummy's eye colour, skin tone, hair length, handedness, etc... As the Mummy's mind forgets their own true form, they look less and less like themselves. Subtle transformations are permanent.
          • Blatant changes are the stuff of dreams and nightmares. A Mummy's eyes might become turquoise gems, their skin could knot and coarsen like cobblestone, or they might start exhaling clouds of dust and ash with every breath. Blatant transformations only exist so long as their attached Condition remains. Seeing a Blatant transformation usually triggers Terror Sybaris.

Replacing the Sahu
          If a Mummy's body is completely destroyed, they may still be awakened into life. They just need a new body.
          The Summoner must find a new body to host the Mummy's soul and their Rite of Return. Any body will do, but the body's condition effects how difficult the Summoning roll will be.

Condition of the Body Penalty
          Fresh 0
          Rotten -2
          Centuries old -4
          Lightly damaged -1
          Mangled -2
          Dust and Ash -5

Kepher
          With Kepher, a Mummy can track the flow of Sekhem across the world. Relics, vestiges, and creatures of Sekhem leave mystic hints and clues as to their location. With Kepher, Mummies are a truly implacable foe to any who would hide from them.
          This mystic sense can attempt to locate the following things:
          • Any Relic of your Guild.
          • Any other Relic, Vestige or other magical item you've touched.
          • Any Mummy, Sekhem Sorcerer, or Amkhata you've interacted with personally (though not Sadikhs or Fasads).

Kepher
          Cost: 1 Ren point.
          Dice Pool: Ren + Sekhem.

Roll Results
          Dramatic Failure: You find the wrong Sekhem trail, and are lead towards a different relic, item, or person than you want.
          Failure: You can't detect a Sekhem trail.
          Success: Omens, portents, and tugging intuition tell you your quarry's current country, city, or broad region. You also have a vision of an individual that might be able to bring your closer to your quarry.
          Exceptional Success: You have a vision of your quarry, it's immediate surroundings, and an image of the individual who currently possesses it, or has the closest relationship to it. You also learn it's direction relative to you.

Kepher Penalties
          Dice Penalty Relationship
          -2 Entombed or in close proximity.
          -4 Held, seen, or interacted with.
          -6 Described in detail.
          -8 Catalogued, rough description.
          -10 Rumoured or unknown quarry.
          Additional Penalties Nature of the Quarry
          -2 Non-guild relic or Vestige.
          -4 Creature or non-Iremite magical item.

Following the Scarab
          Whenever a Mummy comes into contact with a direct clue or lead connected to their quarry, the Storyteller may roll Kepher on the Mummy's behalf. This does not cost the Mummy a point of Ren.

[Designer's note: Kepher is no longer restricted to a single roll once per session. Now, Kepher is activated by spending points of Ren. See the Pillars chapter for more details.]

Comment

Sadikhs and Fasads

Both the Arisen and Shuankhsen are gifted with the ability to create lesser Mummies through the Rite of the Engraved Heart. Though it grants their servants power and eternal life, it robs them of their free will and chains them forever to their deathless master. All Shaunkhsen and Arisen instinctively know how to perform this ritual, and understand its consequences.

[Designer's note: Because a Mummy can draw much more knowledge from their Cult in this revision, the role of the Sadikh has been altered. Sadikhs no longer experience the dream of life, and a Mummy may have more than one active Sadikh. They are no longer companions through the ages, who rise and fall with their masters. Instead, they are their master's waking servants. They shepherd and maintain their Mummy's cult while their master rests in Henet. Though perfect service is not without risks. Fasads have mostly stayed the same thematically.]

Sadikhs
            The Arisen have the power to exalt a handful of their favoured servants and bestow upon them eternal life. This is not a gift given lightly. Each Sadikh is sustained and animated by the Mummy's will, chained to their souls for all time by the power of the Rite of Return. Mummies are usually very careful about who they choose to be their Sadikhs.
            The primary task of most Sadikhs is to safeguard the Mummy's cult while the Arisen lies sleeping in death. Sadikhs lead, protect, cull, or expand their master's Scorpion Cults, depending on the aptitudes of the Sadikh.
            Some Arisen spend decades testing and challenging their cultists to determine who among their flock is worthy of the Rite of the Engraved Heart, other Mummies gift the Rite out of desperation, while a few use it as a bargaining chip.
            The Arisen call their immortal servants “companions,” and claim that becoming a Sadikh is a great honour. But every Sadikh is a slave. Few Arisen mention to their prospective servants that to become a Sadikh is to surrender their free will. Once they realize the true nature of their new existence, Sadikhs are forever bound to their Mummy.
            It is possible for a Mummy to have an open and honest relationship with their Sadikhs, and never purposefully overwhelm their will, but such arrangements are rare. Mummies come from a slave-taking culture, and the ravages of Memory can make a Mummy callous and cruel. No Mummy will ever forget the capabilities of their Sadikhs, but Arisen with low Memories often forget everything else about their old servants. Eventually, it becomes easier to treat their Sadikhs more like extra limbs than people.
            Though a Mummy can compel perfect loyalty from their Sadikhs, the continued stress of obeying a being they may despise for all time can break a Sadikh's mind. The better the Mummy treats their Sadikh, the longer they can protect their mental stability.
            To create a Sadikh, the Mummy must perform the Rite of the Engraved Heart on a willing mortal. This costs a point of Ba, and is a breaking point. The rite itself takes a scene, and requires a knife or cutting implement.

Sadikhs gain the following:
            • Sadikhs do not age. From the moment they are Engraved, they will live as long as their Mummy exists.
            • Like Mummies, Sadikhs register as both living and undead. Their bodies mimic life, and they can engage in any activity the living enjoy. Sadikhs do not need to sleep or eat, but they do need to breathe, and can be suffocated. They are also susceptible to disease and poisons.
            • Sadikhs take bashing damage from all non-magical attacks and may continue to act normally until all their health boxes are filled with aggravated damage. When a Sadikh dies, their years suddenly catch up with them, often turning them to dust.
            • All Sadikhs gain the Iron Stamina (3) and Hardy (3) merits.
            • Sadikhs are immune to Sybaris, including Sybaris Infection.
            • Sadikhs may purchase Supernatural merits and Sadikh merits.
            • Sadikhs immediately gain either 5 dots in the Mystery Cult Initiation merit, or increase their rating to 5 in their master's Scorpion Cult.
            • While their master is awake, a Sadikh gains Supernatural Tolerance equal to half of their master's Sekhem.
            • Sadikhs receive a -1 penalty on all rolls to resist breaking points. This penalty increases to -2 if they are treated poorly by their master.
            • If a Sadikh reaches 0 Integrity, the Mummy may no longer command them, though they may still destroy them.
            • A Sadikh is a kind of living relic, and may be used to Call their master into waking, willingly or not. This is a breaking point for the Sadikh, as their soul is partially dragged into Henet to raise their master into life.

A Sadikh's master also gains certain benefits:
            • The master always remembers their Sadikh's names, aptitudes, and capabilities, though not necessarily their interests, ethics, or goals.
            • The master may spend a Willpower to make one of their Sadikhs obey one of their commands without hesitation. Sadikhs will obey the spirit of the command, as they know their master's desires as if they were their own.
            • The master may also spend a Willpower to utterly destroy one of their Sadikh's bodies, reducing them to ash in an instant.
            • The master may resurrect one of their Sadikhs by sacrificing a dot of Sekhem. This reassembles the naked Sadikh from nothing in an instant action, healing a number of aggravated damage equal to the Mummy's new Sekhem level. A Sadikh may only be resurrected within a number of years after their death equal to the master's Memory.
            • The master may manifest one of their Utterances through one of their Sadikhs. The Mummy chooses all effects, pays all costs, and makes all rolls for this Utterance. Every time after the first that the master does this in a single scene, the Sadikh takes a breaking point as their soul is ravaged by the flood of Sekhem.
            • The master may send their Sadikhs into Henet. The Sadikh's body dies and shrivels until the master has need of them. The master may spend a point of willpower to reinvigorate their Sadikh and return them to life.
            • The master may have a number of Sadikhs equal to their Ba rating. They may release a Sadikh into true death by spending a Willpower dot, forever severing their connection.

Sadikh Merits

Unlike most merits, the prerequisites for Sadikh merits are based on the Mummy's characteristics, not the Sadikh's.

Arise Anew (2)
            Prerequisites: Ka 5
            The Sadikh may always be resurrected, no matter how long they've been dead. It costs the Mummy a Willpower to resurrect this Sadikh instead of a level of Sekhem. This resurrection takes a scene to complete.

Devoted Heart (2)
            Prerequisites: Ab 5
            As written in Mummy: the Curse.

Hidden Craft (1)
            Prerequisite: Sheut 3
            The Sadikh may use Relics of their Mummy's guild without suffering the Relic's Curse. The Sadikh may spend Willpower in place of Pillar points to activate these guild Relics. When the Sadikh is actively helping their Mummy look for Relics of their guild, the Mummy gains a +2 bonus on the Kepher roll.

Living Memory (1)
            Prerequisite: Ren 3
            The Sadikh becomes a living remnant of the past. The Sadikh gains a bonus on Intelligence + Composure rolls to remember information equal to their Mummy's Ren rating. The Mummy may gain a Sebayt beat by interacting with this Sadikh once per chapter, in addition to any others they may gain. The Mummy always remembers every interaction they've had with this Sadikh.

Loyal Soul (1)
            Prerequisites: Ba 3

Perfected Body (1)
            Prerequisites: Ka 3

Reverent Name (2)
            Prerequisites: Ren 5

Shadowed Hand (2)
            Prerequisites: Sheut 5

Speaks With My Voice (1)
            Prerequisite: Ab 3
            The Sadikh gains the benefits of the Mummy's Scorpion Cult merit, and the Mummy's cultists will treat the Sadikh as though that Sadikh had the Mummy's authority. The Mummy gains the Informed Condition relating to their cult when they awake from death.

In Their Hour of Need (2)
            Prerequisite: Ba 5
            If the Sadikh is in mortal danger, the Mummy immediately knows. If the Mummy is in Henet at the time, they may awaken at Sekhem 5 with the purpose: protect or avenge my cult.

Fasads

Ammut's Mummies can also create eternal companions, but Shuankhsen are incapable of creating Sadikhs. Instead, they create monstrous husks called Fasads. Cursed, wretched creatures, Fasads often have to be coerced or tricked into agreeing to the Rite of the Engraved Heart, for few people would knowingly subject themselves to unending slavery and torment.
            Each Fasad touches a piece of Ammut's soul during their Rite, and is scarred forever by the experience. But because Ammut enjoys watching her servant's suffer, she maintains this link. As a Fasad's mind bends and breaks under the weight of what they've become, Ammut bestows them with greater powers and greater pain. Shuankhsen sometimes purposefully command their Fasads to commit baser and baser atrocities in order to gain more of Ammut's Favours.
            Fasad are bound to their masters even more strongly than Sadikhs are. Even if their minds are horrified by their master's orders, their bodies obey with zealous speed.
            Unlike Sadikhs, fewer Fasads lead Shuankhsen cults. Many are too monstrous to inspire human cultists. Instead, Fasads are Sekhem bloodhounds. Fasads can smell life, and help their Shuankhsen follow the wake Sekhem leaves behind. Fortunately, Shuankhsen are not as obsessed with accumulating relics as the Arisen. Unfortunately, Fasads and Shuankhsen alike enjoy devouring other Mummies.
            To create a Fasad, the Shuankhsen must perform the Rite of the Engraved Heart on a willing mortal. This costs a point of Ba, and is a breaking point. The rite itself takes a scene, and requires a knife or cutting implement.

Fasads gain the following:
            • Fasads do not age. From the moment they are Engraved, they will endure as long as their Shuankhsen exists.
            • Fasads are truly lifeless. They register as undead to any power that can detect it. Fasads look human before Ammut's Favours turn them into monsters, but their hearts don't beat, their veins don't pump, and they cannot enjoy the pleasures of life. However, they can eat. They are also immune to poisons and disease.
            • Fasads take bashing damage from all non-magical attacks and may continue to act normally until all their health boxes are filled with aggravated damage. When a Fasad dies, they collapse into a pile of rot and decay.
            • All Fasads gain the Iron Stamina (3) merit.
            • Fasads are immune to Sybaris, including Sybaris Infection.
            • Fasads may purchase Supernatural merits.
            • A Fasad receives two Favours of Ammut: Devourer of Life, and one other of their choice. They gain another Favour every time they lose a dot of Integrity. Even if they regain that integrity later, they never lose their Favours.
            • Fasads gain a bonus to their Supernatural Tolerance equal to their master's Remnant Pillar.
            • Fasads immediately gain either 1 dot in the Mystery Cult Initiation merit of their master's Scorpion Cult. If the Shuankhsen has one.
            • Fasads receive a -1 penalty on all rolls to resist breaking points. This penalty increases to -2 when their master is awake, as the Shuankhsen's presence agitates and excites the Fasad's connection to Ammut.
            • If a Fasad reaches 0 Integrity, the Shuankhsen may still command and destroy them, but the Fasad becomes animalistic, and cannot use their supernatural merits or channel Bane Affinities.
            • A Fasad cannot be used to Call their master to waking, their Sekhem is too weak. They must use Vessels or flesh regurgitated with Devourer of Life.

A Fasad's master also gains certain benefits:
            • A Fasad will always obey the commands of its master. The master doesn't have to spend any willpower to compel this obedience.
            • The master may spend a Willpower to utterly destroy one of their Fasads, reducing their body to rot in an instant.
            • The master may resurrect one of their Fasads by sacrificing a dot of Sekhem. This reassembles the naked Fasad from nothing as an instant action, healing a number of aggravated damage equal to the Shuankhsen's new Sekhem level. A Fasad may only be resurrected up to a year after its death.
            • The master may manifest their Bane Affinities through one of their Fasads as an instant action. The Shuankhsen chooses all effects, pays all costs, and makes all rolls for this Bane Affinity. The very first time the Shuankhsen does this, it's a breaking point. But afterwards the Fasad's soul becomes inured to this process.
            • The master may have a number of Fasads equal to their Ba + Sekhem rating. As a Shuankhsen's Sekhem falls, excess Fasads fall into Henet, where they are tormented by visions of Ammut.
            • A Shuankhsen may release a Fasad into true death with a thought, casting the Fasad's soul into Ammut's maw.

Favours of Ammut

Ammut forces her “favours” on Fasads as their minds and souls decay. Each Favour comes with a Benefit and a Curse, granting the Fasad more power and more misery as their soul spirals closer to Ammut's jaws.

Devourer of Life (innate)
            The Fasad's teeth become wickedly sharp and cruel, giving it a +1L bite attack. The Fasad can smell the presence of life around them, giving them a +3 bonus to track living things. Fasad can follow the trails of Sekhem that Mummies, Sekhem Sorcerers, Relics, Vestiges, and Amkhata leave behind, tracking them like an animal. If used in concert with their master's Kepher, they give the Shuankhsen a +2 bonus on their Kepher roll.
            Also, Fasad may devour levels of Sekhem from Mummies, Vestiges or Amkhata by eating five health levels of their flesh. They can only store one level of Sekhem this way. As long as they store this Sekhem, they receive an additional +1 bonus to their Supernatural Tolerance, their hearts beat, their veins start pumping, and they are functionally alive. However, they may now be tracked with Kepher. They cannot devour the Sekhem in Relics or Vestiges.
            Fasads may regurgitate this stored Sekhem into their master's jaws and give them levels of Sekhem. This can Awaken the Shuankhsen from Henet into life, or grant them extra Sekhem while awake.
            Curse: The Fasad is constantly hungry, driving them to painful distraction. Eating barely eases this feeling. Eating Sekhem silences it for a few moments. Fasads suffer a -2 penalty on all extended actions unless they can eat while performing them.

Ammut's Whispers
            Ammut taught the Shan'iatu how to complete their Rite of Return, and she whispers lesser secrets to her slaves too. The Fasad gains three merit dots to distribute among Supernatural merits, and receives the 9-again rule on any roll to activate their Supernatural merits.
            Also, the first time the Fasad would need to spend a Willpower to activate a Supernatural merit in a scene, waive the activation cost.
            Curse: Ammut whispers to the Fasad. The Fasad gains a persistent Madness Condition.

Beast of Ammut
            The Fasad gains Trained Observer (3), a +3 bonus on athletics rolls, and one of the following: +1 Size, +3 Speed, or the Relentless merit.
            Curse: The Fasad takes on piecemeal animal features befitting Ammut's Favour. They might develop patches of crocodile scales, a hippo's ivory teeth, a lion's eyes, or their arms may lengthen so they can run on all fours. In addition to looking less human, the Fasad receives a -1 penalty on all composure rolls to hide or restrain their temper.

Body of Corruption
            The Fasad gains +3 Stamina and 2/2 armor. This may raise the Fasad's Stamina over 5.
            The Fasad may devour corpses to heal itself. One size point heals a bashing wound, two size heals a lethal wound, and five size heals an aggravated wound.
            Curse: The Fasad's flesh toughens with masses of callus, scar tissue, and nodules. They lose the Striking Looks merit if they had it, and become obviously inhuman.

Call of the Poison Soul
            The Fasad's aura intensifies the darkest impulses in others. All creatures near the Fasad suffer a -2 penalty to Resolve rolls and on any rolls to resist temptation.
            The Fasad's soul inverts. From now on, they receive only 1 willpower for fulfilling their virtue, and regain all their willpower for fulfilling their vice.
            Additionally, any attempt to read the Fasad's aura, mind, or soul, stains the viewer with Ammut's hunger. They gain the Guilty Condition and suffer a breaking point, though they still receive any information they would have normally.
            Shuankhsen and Fasads are immune to this effect.
            Curse: The Fasad's blood is replaced by a green-black ichor, and their soul weakens from constant contact with it. The Fasad suffers the -2 penalty to Resolve rolls to resist temptation.

Devouring Heart
            The Fasad's presence leeches compassion and hope from the souls of others. All creatures near the Fasad suffer a -2 penalty to Composure rolls, and cannot spend Willpower except to activate supernatural powers. Shuankhsen and Fasads are immune.
            Curse: The Fasad's soul shrivels and atrophies from its proximity to Ammut's will. The Fasad loses its Virtue, and may only fulfill Willpower through its Vice.

Eater of Meaning
            The Fasad may drain someone's Willpower by destroying something (or someone) important to them. The Fasad targets a person, and then attacks one of their attachments: either a loved one, a social merit, or a treasured object with great personal value. If the Fasad manages to ruin or destroy the target's attachment, the target loses 1 Willpower and the Fasad regains 1 Willpower. Excess Willpower is wasted.
            The Fasad may also store two levels of Sekhem with Devourer of Life.
            Curse: Ammut's hunger strips away any illusion of life the Fasad still clings to. The Fasad looks visibly like a corpse with dull dry eyes, bloodless skin, and the smell of grave dirt. Insects also like to nibble at the Fasad's dead flesh, and may take up home in their body. All social failures with mortals count as dramatic failures. When storing Sekhem, the Fasad loses this Curse.

Slave to Decay
            By rolling Presence + Occult vs Stamina + Supernatural Tolerance, the Fasad can inflict the moderate Sick tilt on anyone they touch.
            The Fasad can also will spoilable things to rot and decay as an instant action, and can cause a corpse to decay into nothing in less than a minute.
            Curse: Lesions and sores cover the Fasad's body, and the Fasad looks and smells like a plague victim. Their failures on social rolls count as Dramatic Failures.

Festering Maw
            The Fasad's teeth grow larger and more crocodillian, increasing their damage to +3L. The Fasad's teeth count as supernatural weapons for the purpose of harming vampires, mummies, and other resilient supernatural creatures.
            The first point of damage the Fasad inflicts with their bite in a scene is aggravated. As long as this wound remains unhealed, the Fasad gains an additional +2 bonus to track the injured creature, and their Shuankhsen may track the wound with Kepher.
            Curse: The Fasad's jaw stretches to accommodate their new inhumanly long teeth. The Fasad is constantly tearing into their tongue and stabbing their gums, garbling their speech. In addition to looking monstrous, this gives them a -1 penalty on all social rolls based on speech.

Rigid Sinew
            The Fasad gains +3 Strength. This may raise their Strength above 5. Their brawl attacks ignore 2 points of Durability.
            The Fasad's grip becomes like a vise. Opponents receive a -2 penalty on rolls to contest grapples with the Fasad.
            Curse: The Fasad's skin begins to split and tear from the sudden strength of their dead muscles. Unless they cover themselves very well, they look obviously inhuman. They lose 10-again on dexterity rolls.

Selfless Shroud
            The Fasad gains a +3 bonus on all rolls to remain undetected, and exceptionally succeeds on Stealth rolls on three successes instead of five. Attempts to track or remember the Fasad suffer a -3 penalty. Ordinary mortals forget the specifics of the Fasad's appearance, though most recall that the Fasad was strange or hideous in some way.
            Curse: Ammut devours the memory of the Fasad. It is impossible for the Fasad to gain the Allies, Staff, Retainer, Status, or the True Friend merit among mortals, as they will forget that the Fasad exists. The Fasad's master and their master's cultists are exceptions. They can remember the Fasad.

Comment

Affinities

Soul Affinities
              Mummies don't just wield magic, they are magic made flesh. Soul Affinities are the innate expressions of power bestowed by the Rite of Return. Each Soul Affinity is linked to one of the Pillars. There are no prerequisites to purchasing a Soul Affinity, but Soul Affinities gain strength from the Pillars they're linked to.
              Whenever an Affinity grants a merit, ignore that merit's prerequisites.
              Mummies may manifest Affinities very suddenly. You may purchase Affinities mid-scene if you can pay for them.

[Designer's note: I've tried to reduce the number of Affinities overall, combining many of their similar effects into single powers. This makes them more powerful, but I've also increased their cost to 4 experiences. Hopefully, this also eliminates the need for Affinity liquidation and the upper limit on how many Soul Affinities you can have at once. I've also worked some of the Deceived Affinities into the basic Soul Affinities, to address the numerical advantage that Ren has over the other Pillars..
              I've also removed the target number affecting powers. I'm not sure about that yet, target numbers are a pretty central thing in Mummy, but I always had a hard time actually determining how useful they were. I may put them back in, not sure yet.
              In this system, a Mummy only begins play with one Soul Affinity and their Guild Affinity.]

Guild Affinities
              Guild Affinities are largely unchanged mechanically, but they cost differing amounts of experience. A Guild Affinity costs 1 experience per dot of Guild Status required to learn it.
              In this system, the Guild Status prerequisites are socially enforced, rather than mystically. It is possible to learn any Guild Affinity, but they are traditionally only taught to Guild Mummies with the listed Guild Status ratings.
              Additionally, The Beast Companion Affinity is now considered a Guild Affinity available to any Arisen or Deceived, requires Guild Status 1, and costs 1 experience to purchase.

List of Soul Affinities

Dominating Might
              Affinity Pillar: Ka
              Effect:
              • Gain the Demolisher (3) merit.
              • You don't suffer unskilled penalties on physical skills.
              • Your Strength Aptitude is never worse than +3.
              • Gain a bonus to lifting, carrying, and breaking objects equal to your Ka rating.
              • You suffer no damage for striking inanimate objects.
              • Your fists now count as a 2L weapon. These weapons do not count as supernatural for the purposes of killing other Mummies or harming resistant creatures resistant to damage.
              • Subtract your Ka rating from the initiative count of all opponents in combat with you, provided they have seen you demonstrate your vast strength.
              • Spend a Willpower. Your fists now gain Armour Piercing equal to your Ka rating.
              • You may make others around you feel weak and powerless by showing off your strength. After a successful demonstration of your physical prowess, spend a Willpower and roll Presence + Expression + Sekhem. All onlookers roll Resolve + Composure + Supernatural Tolerance to resist. If they fail, they gain the Shaken Condition.

Ever-Dying
              Affinity Pillar: Sheut
              Effect:
              • Gain the Medium merit, but you can see ghosts in twilight as well as hear them.
              • You may spend a Willpower to interact physically with Ghosts in twilight for a scene. This cannot be turned off prematurely.
              • You can tell when a ghost is possessing a living or dead body by sight. You can also recognize any undead on sight, though you only know whether or not the creature is a Mummy or not. Arisen and Deceived cannot recognize Fasads this way, nor can Shuankhsen recognize Sadikhs.
              • You can sense the local manifestation modifier, and automatically notice Avernian gates.
              • Your Sekhem strengthens when in areas of death. You receive a +1 bonus when in graveyards, tombs, or other places of death, or +2 in the underworld or in areas where death has just occurred. When you spend or lose Sekhem, they subtract from your actual rating.
              • You gain the Direction Sense merit while in the Underworld.
              • Spend a Willpower. For the rest of the scene, all undead take a penalty on attacks against you equal to your Sheut rating. This does not apply to other Mummies, Sadikhs, or Fasads.
              • Spend a Willpower as an instant action to grant a ghost a Manifestation effect of your choice. This lasts for a scene.

Gift of Truth
              Affinity Pillar: Ren
              Effect:
              • Gain the Common Sense merit, and a number of dots in the Investigative Prodigy merit equal to your Ren rating.
              • You don't suffer unskilled penalties on mental skills.
              • Whenever anyone attempts to fool you with a supernatural illusion or obfuscation, it provokes a Clash of Wills.
              • Spend a Willpower to gain any Language merit for a day.
              • Spend a point of Willpower to grant the following merits to any one target: Common Sense, Language (any you know), Omen Sensitivity, or Witness. These merits last for the day. Your targets may immediately purchase merits bestowed this way, and may go into experience debt to do so.
              • Spend a point of Willpower to don the Mantle of Wisdom for either a scene or the length of an extended mental action. While this effect lasts, you exceptionally succeed on mental rolls on 3 successes instead of 5. By meditating before an extended mental action, you may consult fate itself for help and effectively gain the Library merit in any subject with a rating equal to your Ren.

Glorious Mien
              Affinity Pillar: Ab
              Effect:
              • Gain the Barfly and Striking Looks (2) merits.
              • You don't suffer unskilled penalties on social skills.
              • You alight yourself with glory, allowing you to shed light like a bonfire at your whim. Anyone who basks in your glow may immediately purchase the Striking Looks merit, and may go into experience debt to do so.
              • While alight with glory, you may spend a Willpower to intensify your light as an instant action. This affects anyone who can see you. When you do, roll Presence + Socialize + Ab vs Composure + Integrity. If your targets fail, they gain the Blinded (one eye) Tilt for the scene, and the Striking Looks (2) merit for a day.
              • Spend a point of Willpower to don the Mantle of Awe for a scene. While this effect lasts, you are glorious and terrible in the eyes of others. You exceptionally succeed on social rolls on 3 successes instead of 5. Opponents cannot attempt to harm or attack you unless they spend a point of Willpower. While donning the Mantle of Awe, you fail all stealth rolls.

Godsight
              Effect:
              • Gain the Omen Sensitivity and Trained Observer (3) merits.
              • You have a heightened sensitivity to occult energies and movements of Sekhem. You gain a reflexive Ren + Occult roll to notice supernatural beings and phenomena, including standing effects and powers. Apply a -3 for rare effects, and -5 for unique ones. If you succeed, you receive visions and hallucinations that describe the nature of the being or phenomena.
              • Your flesh is saturated with prophecy. Anyone who eats of your flesh or blood becomes gain the Sick (moderate) tilt and gains the Omen Sybaris Condition.
              • You can tell what level of Sekhem a Mummy has on sight, and can identify Sadikhs and Fasads the same way.
              • You may perceive Spirits or Angels in twilight. You may also determine whether someone is possessed by an ephemeral being by sight.
              • You may spend a Willpower to interact physically with Spirits or Angels in twilight for a scene. This cannot be turned off prematurely.
              • Spend a Willpower to activate or use any gateways to otherworldly realms you've perceived with your heightened senses. You still have to pay any additional costs the gateway requires. If you would normally be barred entry, you may not enter.
              • If necessary, you may investigate and attempt to reveal Mysteries as if you had mage sight, Using Ren + Occult for all dice pools. For the purposes of this ability, you count as either having Fate Sight or Death Sight at your discretion.

Falcon Soul Aloft
              Affinity Pillar: Ba
              Effect:
              • Gain the Danger Sense merit.
              • Gain a bonus to your speed and initiative equal to your Ba rating.
              • Gain a bonus to all rolls to run, jump or maintain your balance equal to your Ba rating.
              • Ignore all falling damage.
              • Nothing can drain your Willpower points, or stop you from spending Willpower.
              • Spend a point of Willpower to ignore all mental, social, and physical penalties on a single roll.
              • Spend a point of Willpower to soar out of your body and fly immaterial through the skies. You may perceive anywhere within a number of miles equal to your Ba rating (you may always perceive your tomb). You can make perception and investigation rolls to search the scene, and may use any powers that enhance your senses. While using this ability, your body is inactive, though you remain aware of what goes on around it.

Inner Light
              Effect:
              • Gain the Sympathetic merit.
              • You may reflexively try to read a target's soul. Roll Wits + Empathy + Ab vs the target's Composure + Subterfuge. Supernatural Tolerance is not added in this roll. Success means you learn a piece of information about the target: emotional state, one of their Anchors, Integrity type/rating (and what behaviours cause breaking points for that type), Pillar ratings, or whether the target is possessed. Failure means nothing happens. It costs a point of Willpower to use this more than once on the same target in a scene.
              • You may temporarily raise a target's Integrity by speaking to them. Spend a Willpower and roll Presence + Memory vs Resolve + Composure + Supernatural Tolerance. For each success you raise their Integrity by 1, to a maximum of 10. You may also spend one success on suppressing any Madness Conditions the target has. These extra Integrity dots last for a scene, though characters may go into experience debt to purchase conferred Integrity dots. If you spend a full scene speaking with the target, you gain a +3 on this roll. This works on other supernatural creatures and their Integrity equivalents, though this ability does not work on Memory, Satiety, or Cover.
              • You may compel others to uphold their principals. Spend a Willpower and roll Presence + Persuasion + Ab vs Composure + Integrity. If you succeed, the target gains the Voice of Conscience Condition.
              Condition: Voice of Conscience
              You feel a a sudden surge of moral certainty and righteousness. You will not voluntarily perform any action that would risk a breaking point. If you use harmony, you will not perform any actions that break towards Spirit.
              Resolution: you are forced to risk a breaking point, a day passes, the person who inflicted this Condition harms or attacks you.
              Named and Known
              Effect: Unlike other Affinities, Named and Known relies on knowing the true names of people, places, or things in order to affect them. Use the system in Lore of the Deceived for discovering something's True Name. This Affinity's powers only work on subjects whose true names you know.
              • Gain the Taste merit, relating to any object, person or place whose true name you've learned.
              • If you know the true name of a place or city, you always know your approximate location within it. You know neighbourhoods, and local customs and laws. You receive a bonus equal to your Ren rating on all Academics, Politics, Streetwise, and Survival rolls related to the location. Your Sekhem counts as 2 higher for the purposes of spending Pillars, Aptitudes, and attribute/skill maximums while within this location.
              • If you know the true name of an object, you achieve exceptional success on three successes instead of five when using the object for its intended purpose. You also may ignore a number of Durability points equal to your Ren rating. You may also track this object with Kepher.
              • If you know the true name of a being, gain the Informed Condition, relating to them. Spend a Willpower to ask a question about the subject from the following list: What are this being's Anchors? What kind of creature are they? Where are they now? What do they want? What are they going to do? Knowing a being's true name also allows other magics to be used on them.

Pharaoh Reigns Anew
              Effect:
              • Gain the Inspiring merit.
              • You receive no penalties when using social skills against groups. Your words and intent seem to carry to every member of your audience.
              • Gain a number of merits dots equal to your Ba rating to distribute between the Allies, Staff, or Retainer merits. Even if you lose these merits, you must eventually re-invest them in either Allies, Staff, or Retainer. Fate will provide new opportunities to gain these merits again.
              • You may see through the eyes of any of your cultists, Sadikhs, beast companions, Staff, or Retainers. You use their senses, not your own to perceive their surroundings. You are distracted and unfocused while doing this, suffering a -3 penalty on all actions. You may only see through one of your servant's senses at a time. You may make your servant aware of this if you wish.
              • Spend a point of Willpower to don the Mantle of Authority for a scene. While this effect lasts, you gain dots in Status equal to your Ab rating. This Status is unspecified, everyone who interacts with you perceives you as a natural part of their hierarchy, no matter your appearance. If put under enough scrutiny, people can realize you don't belong to their organization, but they can't shake the feeling that you're important somehow.

Radiant Ka
              Effect:
              • Gain a number of extra health levels equal to your Ka rating.
              • You ignore wound penalties.
              • No natural environmental tilt (besides immolation) can penalize your dice pools, damage you, or otherwise cause you harm.
              • All living beings within (Ka x 100 yards) gain the Quick Healer and Hardy (3) merits. They may immediately purchase these merits, and may go into experience debt to do so.
              • Spend a Willpower and touch another person as an instant action, then roll Stamina + Sekhem. Each success heals the target two bashing damage or one lethal damage. This will also stabilize Incapacitated characters as long as you roll one success.

Strands of Fate
              Effect:
              • Once per scene, gain 8-again on any non-supernatural roll. You may spend a Willpower to apply 8-again to another non-supernatural roll within the same scene.
              • You may examine the strands of fate that radiate from other people. As a reflexive action, spend a Willpower and roll Wits + Investigation + Ab vs Composure + Integrity. For each success, you learn one of the target's defining attachments. The people, places, movements, or things that they are most deeply connected to. You may either aim to learn about specific connections, or let fate decide which connections you discover.
              • Spend a point of Willpower to to dictate the results of a card draw, dice roll, or other random event with a fixed number of possibilities. If two Mummies use this ability at once, initiate a Clash of Wills.
              • Using magic or supernatural powers to negatively affect your fate or luck provokes a Clash of Wills. If you succeed, you learn the name of whoever tried to alter your fate.
              • Gain 1 armour per Ab rating against natural disasters or accidental injury.

The Veil of Secrets
              Effect:
              • Gain dots in the Closed Book merit equal to your Sheut rating.
              • Gain a bonus on subterfuge rolls equal to your Sheut Rating when lying about yourself, or detecting lies.
              • When you lie about yourself successfully, you may spend a Willpower to convert a normal success into an exceptional success.
              • You can tell by sight if someone has the Embarrassing Secret Condition.
              • Spend a Willpower to unveil an ancient secret to a target as an instant action. They must be able to understand you. Roll Manipulation + Intimidation + Sheut vs Resolve + Integrity + Sheut. The target gains the Informed Condition relating to the secret, and one of the following Conditions of your choice: Broken, Delusional (VtR), Frightened (VtR), Guilty, Leveraged, Madness, Obsession, Shaken, or Spooked. The Storyteller decides whether any of these Conditions are persistent. The target will remember this secret forever, no matter how much they want to forget.
              • By spending a Willpower, you may look through the veil of secrets yourself. Gain the Madness Condition for a chapter, and gain one of the following: gain the Informed Condition relating to the secret of your choice, learn the nature of a target's embarrassing secret Conditions, or gain one clue related to an investigation of your choice. Using this ability more than once refreshes the Madness dice pools, allowing the Storyteller to use them again during the session.

Unclean Shadow
              Effect:
              • Gain the Untouchable and Takes One to Know One merits.
              • Gain a bonus on all Stealth rolls equal to your Sheut.
              • You may see in complete darkness without penalty. You are immune to Blindness of all kinds.
              • Anyone you grapple is mystically silenced, and cannot make any noise.
              • Once per chapter, you may regain all spent Willpower by fulfilling your Vice.
              • You may recognize the “unclean” by sight. These are characters with Integrity 3 or lower (except Memory), no integrity trait (or they possess Satiety), those who fulfilled their vice this scene, or those who risked a breaking point this scene.
              • Spend a Willpower to gain 8-again on all attacks against the unclean for a scene.
              • As long as you are hidden, you may reflexively teleport anywhere out of sight within (Sheut x 10 yards). The first use of this ability is free, then each successive use within a scene costs a Willpower. Surprised victims are denied their defense.
              • You may spend a Willpower to Rouse your Khaibit and become unclean. Your Memory rating drops to 1, you can't regain Willpower from your Virtue, and you regain two Willpower from fulfilling your Vice. You do not risk any breaking points for actions committed while your Khaibit is Roused. This effect doesn't end on its own. Instead, you may attempt to break free by spending a Willpower and rolling your permanent Memory, receiving a bonus equal to the number of days you've spent like this.

Whispers to the Sahu
              Effect:
              • You may choose to gain or lose the Giant or Small-Framed merits whenever you wish.
              • You may choose how lifelike your Sahu appears. You are able to change from your corpse-like form to your living guise with a reflexive action. Activating Utterances still causes you to reveal your corpse-like form for a turn.
              • You may automatically succeed any attempt to mimic the signs of life.
              • Any attempt to alter your body with magic or supernatural power provokes a Clash of Wills.
              • You may mould your Sahu to a limited degree. By spending a scene shaping your body, you can change your appearance. You cannot mimic specific people, but can change most of the features of your body. You receive a bonus to disguise yourself equal to your Ka rating. If you are Deceived, you can assume any humanoid appearance you wish, and can mimic specific people, doubling this bonus.
              • The first (Ka rating) total points of aggravated damage you take from fire in a scene are recorded as Lethal instead. Within your tomb, this doubles.
              • By spending a Willpower and an instant action, you can loosen the bindings of your Sahu for a scene. This turns your body into a rough approximation of the human form made of sand, dust, and sekhem. While you assume this form, you can squeeze through any opening wide enough for dust to pass through, and you gain 1 armour against mundane attacks per dot of Ka. Seeing this form provokes Terror Sybaris.

Words of Waking
              Effect:
              • All rolls to summon you to life gain a bonus equal to your Ba rating.
              • You regain your full Memory rating the moment you wake from death.
              • You may enter into a death-like sleep during your Descents. Your body withers and becomes a seemingly inanimate corpse. Time spent sleeping this way does not count towards your Descent, essentially halting the Descent clock. You awaken whenever it best for you to do so, either because of danger or player choice. However, your Memory is reduced to 1 during the scene you return to life. This is the one occasion where your full Memory does not return to full upon waking.
              • Your cult may summon you to life using only a piece of your body. Your Sahu will reform around those remains used to perform the summoning.
              • You may be summoned to life when a mortal purposefully speaks your True Name with the intention of waking you. This requires no relics, vestiges, or Sadikhs. The summoner makes a summoning roll. If they succeed, you awake at Sekhem five, and have an instinctive understanding of where your summoner is. Summoning you in this way is a breaking point for the summoner, as visions of your death cycle seeps into their mind. If your body is completely destroyed, you will seize the corpse nearest to your summoner.

Alterations to Guild Affinities

Watcher of Watchmen (5) (Guildhalls pg 97)
              Revisions: These revisions replace the effects of Watcher of Watchmen
              • Within a number of miles equal your Guild Status, all Subterfuge rolls receive a -1 penalty, and all Subterfuge failures are counted as dramatic failures. Subterfuge rolls that serve the Maa-Kep are immune from this effect. You can tell when anyone blasphemes Irem or the Judges within that radius, and where they are.
              • Members of your cult can hear lies as soon as they are spoken. They don't know the truth, but they can recognize spoken falsehoods.
              • Spend a Willpower to ignore all breaking points risked in pursuit of furthering Maa-Kep goals or business.

Refined Purity of Purpose (5) (Guildhalls pg 102)
              Revisions: This revision expands the last effect of Refined Purity of Purpose, and adds one more effect.
              • Your aura of wealth increases to a number of miles equal to your Guild Status rating, allowing people within that radius to pay experiences or cannibalize traits to purchase Resources.
              • Members of your cult gain the 9-again rule on rolls to negotiate business or politics.

Erudite Bastion of Perfection (5) (Guildhalls pg 111)
              Revisions: These revisions replace theeffects of Erudite Bastion of Perfection
              • You gain a bonus on discerning true names equal to your Guild Status rating.
              • Within a number of miles equal your Guild Status, all characters get 9-again on Academics rolls and on any mental roll that furthers Sesha-Hebsu goals or business.
              • Members of your cult perform all extended mental actions as though they had complete access to your dots in Library, no matter where they are.

Wisdom From Ruin (5) (Guildhalls pg 120)
              Revisions: This revision changes the first ability of Wisdom From Ruin
              • You may fulfill any Vice you can justify, not just the cardinal Vices.

Builder's Wisdom (5)(Guildhalls 130)
              Revisions: This revision changes both abilities of Builder's Wisdom, and adds another.
              • All characters within a number of miles equal to your Guild Status gain 9-again on building or designing architecture, urban planning, or examining the flow of Heka. Members of your cult always gain this benefit.
              • You may combine your magics with up to any 5 Mummies, not just Guildmasters.
              • You may incorporate any of the additional effects from the Tomb merit on any building you build, whether or not the building is a tomb.

Syllables of the Broken Word (2)(Deceived 94)
              Revisions: This revision changes the last two paragraphs of this Affinity.
              • Instead of increasing the Deceived's Ren pool, this Affinity now allows the Deceived to spend Ren and Sheut interchangeably, both for Kepher, Sybaris Infections, and for Utterances.
              • The system for purchasing Ren tiers is as follows: A Deceived may pay 1 experience for any single Tier of a Ren Utterance. They may pay the leftover experience cost (whether 2 or 1) to purchase the full Utterance. This Tier is still only available at the Sekhem levels it normally would be.

Exquisitely Artful Vengeance (4)(Deceived 95)
              Revisions: This revision changes the last paragraph of this Affinity.
              • The Decieved gains a bonus equal to their Guild Status on Memory rolls, whenever risking a breaking point in pursuit of the Akhem-Urtu goals or business.

So Speaks The Muse (5)(Deceived 96)
              Revisions: This revision changes the second paragraph of this Affinity.
              • All rolls to create art within a number of miles equal to the Deceived's Guild Status gain the 8-again rule. Anyone who exceptionally succeeds on one of these rolls also gain the Omen Sybaris Condition, which can only be resolved by incorporating the omen into a piece of art.

Bane Affinities

Here is a list of updated Bane Affinities. These Bane Affinities don't require any particular Integrity score to learn, but using them often provokes breaking points for the Arisen and Deceived. Bane Affinities always Curse those who learn them.

Ammut's Feast
              Affinity Remnant: Ab
              Effect:
              • You gain the Vice-Ridden merit.
              • Any attempt to read your mind or your soul is stained by Ammut's will. Though you have no special resistance to mental intrusion, whenever someone peers into your soul they gain either the Shaken or Guilty Condition.
              • By locking eyes with a target, you may instill some of Ammut's endless hunger in them. Spend a Willpower as an instant action and roll Ab + Intimidation vs Resolve + Stamina. If you succeed, the target gains the Deprived (Vice) Condition. They must fulfill their Vice to remove the Condition, though it often feels like a physical hunger to your victims.
              • Whenever you eat a human heart, you can offer it to the Devourer. If you do, you regain a point of Willpower and reset your Descent clock at your current level. This is always breaking point. If a Fasad uses this Affinity, they can give their Shuankhsen the reset, and the Shuankhsen rolls their breaking point with +2 bonus (this is still a normal breaking point for the Fasad). Additionally, if you currently host a Worm of Ammut, you also regain all spent Ab points.
              • Every time you fulfill a Vice, you may forgo gaining a Willpower and instead grow a Worm of Ammut in your body, a lamprey-like thing that writhes beneath your flesh. You may have a maximum number of Worms equal to your Defining Pillar (or Remnant). Whenever you indulge your Vices while your Willpower is full, you automatically create a Worm of Ammut.
              • While in a grapple, you may deal aggravated damage for one turn by expending and killing one of your Worms of Ammut.
              Curse: you are always hungry, and this drives you to distraction. You receive a -2 penalty on all extended actions unless you can eat while performing them. Also, if you fulfill your Virtue while you host any Worms of Ammut, you take an aggravated damage as they ravage your body.

Death of Meaning
              Affinity Remnant: Ba
              Effect:
              • You may drain someone's Willpower by destroying something (or someone) important to them. You target a person, and then attack one of their attachments: either a loved one, a social merit, or a treasured object with great personal value. If you managed to ruin or destroy the target's attachment, the target loses 1 Willpower and you regain 1 Willpower. Excess Willpower is wasted.
              • Alternately, you can damage someone's connections by harming them. Spend a Willpower as a reflexive action and choose one target for this ability. For every lethal or aggravated damage you inflict on your target during this scene, they lose 1 dot from a social merit of your choice. Your victim's loved ones forget who they are, their businesses fail temporarily, their banks accounts glitch and fail, or they suffer a number of impossible misfortunes. These merits return at a rate of 1 point per day. You may not reduce the Guild Status, Cult of the Deceived, Scorpion Cult, or Mystery Cult Initiation merits this way.
              • You radiate an aura of nihilism and hopelessness. Anyone within (100 yards x your Ba rating) must succeed on a reflexive Resolve + Composure roll in order to spend Willpower in your presence, penalized by your Ba. Shuankhsen and Fasads are immune to this ability.
              • You may incite crowds of people to violence and abandon by speaking to them. Spend a Willpower and make a Ba + Expression roll, penalized by the highest Composure among the crowd. Anyone who stops to listen to you gains the Enraged Condition for the rest of the scene.
              Curse: Your aura of hopelessness seeps into your being. Listless and fatalistic, you find it hard to engage with others. You lose 10-again on all social interaction rolls, and social failures count as dramatic failures.
              Condition: Enraged
              You are consumed with rage and anger. You yearn for violence and will act with reckless abandon. You receive a -2 penalty to your composure, and gain the 9-again on any roll to harm someone with brawl or weaponry attacks. Any roll to compel you towards impulsive, aggressive action achieves exceptional success on three successes instead of five. This condition fades after a scene.
              Beat: attack or harm an ally, run headlong into danger
              Resolution: -
              Scraping At The Walls
              Affinity Remnant: Ka
              Effect:
              • By locking eyes with someone, you can flood their mind with visions of Ammut and her cold, empty realm. As an instant action, spend a willpower and roll Ka + Intimidation vs Resolve + Composure. If you succeed, you inflict the Madness Condition on your target for a chapter. Supernatural Tolerance is never added to your victim's resistance pool. Shuankhsen are immune to this ability.
              • You may communicate telepathically with anyone you've met with the Madness Condition, over any Distance, as long as they still possess the Condition.
              • You ignore the negative effects of any Safe Place merit. Security devices fail, locks break or open, and traps go untripped. As long as you are inside a Safe Place, it provides no initiative bonus to its owners. However, you still suffer normal penalties to locate a Safe Place.
              • You perceive creatures in twilight. Always. By spending a Willpower, you may interact with them physically for a scene, though you do not enter twilight yourself. This may not be turned off prematurely.
              • You can perceive gateways between worlds. This allows you to detect Avernian Gates, doors to the Hedge, places recently used as primordial pathways to a Beast's lair, etc... You can also sense the strength of the gauntlet, and detect spiritual verges. Perceiving a gateway requires no roll, only that you be near it. You may make an Intelligence + Occult roll to intuit where the gateway leads.
              • You can rip open holes in reality and journey through them into other realms. You must have already located a gateway to that realm. Spend a Willpower and roll Strength + Sekhem. If a supernatural power would prevent you from entering, it provokes a Clash of Wills. Success means you sunder the gateway's defences and journey to another realm. This tear in reality stays ragged and open for a number of hours equal to your Sekhem. Anyone may climb through. You can track any tears you make with Kepher as though they were a relic you crafted personally.
              Curse: Your presence weakens spiritual barriers, and empowers ephemeral beings. Spirits, Ghosts, Angels, and Amkhata within about one hundred yards of you gain one additional Manifestation effect. This Manifestation ability fades when they leave your presence. Your presence also weakens the gauntlet by -1.

Shadow Ichor
              Affinity Remnant: Sheut
              Effect:
              • You can see in complete darkness without penalty and can never be blinded.
              • Your shadow may assume a monstrous form befitting your inner Devourer, and can attack the shadows of your enemies. Each wound it deals to another shadow is reflected on the bodies of its victims. You must be in a shadowy or dimly lit area to use this power. You may use your shadow as a weapon that inflicts between +0L to +2L, depending on the light levels. This damage counts as supernatural for the purposes of harming vampires, mummies, etc... Use Sheut + Brawl to attack with your shadow. It's reach extends 10 yards. Opponents don't usually receive their Defence against these attacks, unless they're familiar with this Affinity. You may not attack someone with this ability if their shadow has been turned into ichor.
              • By spending a Willpower as an instant action, you may transform one shadow of your choice into Ammut's ichor. The shadow drips from its current position and becomes a viscous liquid that collects in a pool. The pool's size equals the size of the shadow used to create it, to a maximum size equal to your Sekhem +1. The shadow used to create the ichor will grow back after a scene. You may not use the same shadow to create ichor until a day has passed. Ammut's ichor is a physical liquid, and operates like one. The ichor evaporates within a scene if exposed to sunlight, but can persist forever in places sealed off from light.
              • Spend a point of Willpower to teleport any object completely submerged in ichor to one of your other ichor pools. Both pools must be of a big enough size to hold the target. You may teleport people as well, though they must be wiling, immobilized or unconscious.
              • Creatures that drink Ammut's ichor gain one Favour of Ammut (see Sadikhs and Fasads) for each point of size they consume, though these Favours lack Curses. These Favours last one scene. Drinking Ammut's ichor is a breaking point for each point of Size you consume. Ammut's ichor can never sate you and provides no nourishment. The more you drink, the hungrier you feel. Repeatedly consuming Ammut's ichor can cause horrendous changes in mortals. If a mortal reaches 0 integrity while under the effects of Ammut's ichor, they transform into a Horror of the Storyteller's choosing. Shuankhsen and Fasads gain no benefit from drinking Ammut's ichor.
              Curse: your Sahu is no longer composed of sand, dust, and the pure stuff of magic. Instead, Ammut's ichor binds your body together. You can never mimic the effects of life, and can't pass for human under medical examination. Whenever you suffer lethal or aggravated damaged, you leak ichor, though this ichor is tainted by your humanity and can't be used as an ichor pool. If you are Arisen or Deceived, Shuankhsen and Fasads gain a +2 bonus on all Kepher rolls to track you.
              Last edited by Lhangdon_Rhyme; 03-24-2017, 12:43 PM.

Comment

I'm going to be giving this a second pass at a later date. Some of your ideas might go well with the conversion I and a friend have been working on (though it's still unfinished).

"My Homebrew Hub"
                Age of Azar
                The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Looks good.

Nothing in here about Memory, though-I suggest it not be bound to XP, but have Sebyt as similar to the Integrity Counters mechanic from Hurt Locker. You get Sebyt Counters by affirming your identity and (re)discovering yourself. you lose it by...normal Integrity loss, because Memory isn't that different from human sanity. Getting enough counters provokes a sudden recollection of who you are and an increase in Memory, but it's possible to spend them (letting Duat wash away your memories to draw on its strength) for things like using Utterances of a higher tier than what Sekhem allows or removing dice from the Descent pool. Thus the conundrum; do I risk not having Sebyt to get my mind back in the future, or do I face the trouble now as I weaken?

As for Memory 0, it seems like that happens often enough to mummies to warrant a Condition:

Mut (Persistent)

You have lost all of your memories and personality for the time being, your mind stuck in a state of oblivion that makes just-woken Deathless seem like hyperactives with eidetic memories. Your personality, such as it is, is defined by the program of the Rite of Return; find Vessel, return to tomb, remove all that stands in way of priorities one and two. All Aspirations minus your [insert term for Judge purpose here] vanish, as do your [Virtue and Vice]; all you are mentally capable of doing is action that works towards your [purpose], although in all fairness the simplicity of your thoughts gives you an endless reserve of will and patience; you start all scenes with full Willpower and regenerate a point of a Pillar (Player of Mut's choice) per scene. Should you complete your [purpose], it becomes "Return to Tomb and guard it until I return to menet", and you do so. Should anyone get in your way or threaten you, even incidentally, you act to remove the trouble as quickly and usually as violently as possible (something quite possible given your current wellspring of prowess-you have no shortage of Utterances and Affinities to draw on). That said, your Memory isn't gone, just suppressed; an ally of yours like a cultist of a member of your meret is not exempt from your wrath (you don't know who they are), but they can use Social Maneuvering to remind you of your true personality should you do something you would normally find abhorrent; opening all your Doors means your real personality begins to tug at the edge of your awareness, and you lose access to all your Affinities, Willpower, and Utterances for a scene due to internal turmoil-perfect for sending you into a death cycle, the only cure for this breed of madness.

Beat: Your emotionless mechanical pursuit of purpose causes you or your cult long-term difficulties.

Subtle Reflection: Loss of an identifying feature, such as freckles, scars, or a hair color unusual for Iremites.

Blatant Reflection: Eyes vanishing to reveal empty pits, golden fog forming about you to conceal your features, a costume of your Judge fusing itself to your flesh.

Resolution: Enter a death cycle, or menet. Whether it's being sent into such a uniquely Deathless condition, or if Anpu considers it a social duty to cure Mut of their violent amnesia, nobody knows-in any case, when you wake up, you are at Memory 1. Perhaps thankfully, you do not recall anything you did as a Mut until Memory 8 or above.

Comment

Also, because they are A Thing Sorcerers Can Explicitly Summon, It Isn't Even That Hard:

Ephemeral Type: Slaughterer

Demonic Bailiffs of the Judges

Duat is not a place of punishment, but it is one of torment. The underworld is meant to be an interstitial route between Earth and either A'aru or peaceful oblivion, depending on whether a heart passes the Scales of Truth or not. The Judges are not fond of loiterers, and are even more harsh to the ones who are deliberately staying out of fear of the Scales; they want to be purified of sin and join the gods when they're already dead, they need extra penance to make up for lost opportunity. Hence, the Slaughterers, the demons of Duat-which, despite the name, don't actually get up to that much slaughtering. You can't kill the dead, and the Judges won't let them obliterate the dead in other ways. That's Ammut's job.

This does not sit particularly well with them.

At their core, the Slaughter's are children of change and disorder. They are spawned of the blood of Apep as he fruitlessly struggles against Re, the issue of the Devourer as she uses the energy she feasts to spawn her monstrous brood, the physicalized form of sin as enough of it is washed away to congregate and form into "life" of a sort-the demons of Duat are, well, demonic. They have to be; in order to change the dead, even productively and positively, demons must have to be the kind of being that can overcome the stultifying power of death and force change upon the changeless. This is not really satisfying work-the Judges only permit the change of purification, and while that's entertaining enough to work out, the Slaughterers expect what kind of changes they see. This becomes vexing and humdrum, after a bit. Demons want chaos, not this endless cycle of sun-sails-on-river-punches-snake-in-face-leaves-river!

In their infinite mercy (read here; desire to test the living themselves), the Judges have both let the Slaughterers govern themselves...and to take their infernal arts to the living in some circumstances.

Generally, a Slaughterer shows up because it is bidden to; a sorcerer (who does not actually need to be a trained magus-demons want to be summoned, so their own desire makes calling one of them up a fairly simple ritual, in theory) performs the proper rites appeasing to a particular Slaughterer, creates a ritual space to serve as a gateway, and once the demon crawls out of the Underworld, they dicker for services; while Slaughterers enjoy the changeable world of mortals, they despise being forced into action by mortals, which they regard as an incredibly hubristic usurpation of the Judges' authority. Instead, they demand they be treated as partners and clients rather than minions, with the sorcerer acting in ways that furthers the agenda of (in no particular order) Duat as a whole, the demon's patron Judge, and the Slaughterer's own personal desires. In return, the demon agrees to perform various tasks for the sorcerer (naturally, it favors missions of revenge, desire for vessels, and the brutal enforcement or order, but they aren't picky). Sometimes, if the sorcerer feels that she needs personal power, or trusts herself over a torturer from the netherworld (which already affords the sorcerer more respect than most others), the Slaughterer may show its link to Ammut and her chaos-beast kindred by infusing its inner chaos into the summoner, giving her mighty Dread Powers over the dead and the barrier between the living world and Duat, with some mighty Slaughterers even able to designate the summoner a viceroy of the Judges, able to summon minor demons and expect to be obeyed without dickering (though this comes with the unspoken caveat that said viceroy recognizes that it's the Slaughterer's authority she invokes; abusing this privilege is a good way for the demons to set the sorcerer on her personal trip through the river themselves). Naturally, much of what a Slaughterer asks is the kind of thing that weighs heavily on the heart; to them, it is simply good investment to ensure that the summoner's soul becomes a long source of entertainment and perhaps new siblings when she dies, and if she manages to redeem herself, they've fulfilled their duty. There's no loss in the situation.

Rarely, a Slaughterer appears because it has been sent. Most frequently, this is because a Deathless with high Memory is beginning the agonizingly slow process of rousing to defeat a tomb thief, or to protect a cultist who has just finished a summoning ritual of the same; the Slaughterer boxes in the infidels until the Arisen has dragged himself out of menet, and then happily leaves the poor, stupid blasphemers to their fate. Occasionally, though, this is because the Judges have grown tired of an imbalance; a particularly sinful area that has become a regular wasteland of evil and disharmony that embodies a crime a Judge is supposed to solve. When that occurs, the entire area becomes a hunting ground for the Slaughterer to correct the imbalance, by any means necessary. In a bit of irony, they take their sweet time in doing so-these kind of missions are the only time a Slaughterer is actually in any form free in the mortal coil, and they plan to enjoy every second of it. In particularly bad cases of shirking duty, it's frequently the Arisen who serve as a bailiff of the bailiff-and the Judges request that the punishment for their wayward demon be special, to get it through the minds of the rest that disloyalty is not tolerated. Some mummies in service to Utu-Nesert look at the long-vanished crater where the twin cities of Sodom and Gomorrah once sat, and they feel something stir at the edge of their Memory.

[insert crunch here-Slaughterers have Virtue and Vice, Virtue is based around punishment of sin, all have a Duty instead of an Influence and regain Essence when pursuing it, all of them can possess people. Some have a Manifestation that allows them to become physical directly, in which case they are treated as Horrors. All have a Bane of Vessel weapons, their Bans involve Judicial duties-but unlike other beings, they can break their Bans, however they can't do it often lest their patron Judge get pissed off and start invoking disasters and sending Internal Affairs].

Comment

Fucking' A.

My only suggestion is adding another means to awaken, specifically sensing an instance of their particular Judge's sin in the vicinity (how far away they can sense it depends on how greivous it is, but shouldn't be more than a few miles) - naturally, their Purpose would be to punish it.

Comment

It looks pretty good. It's not all in a style I'd like to play/want in Mummy, but that said this is some quality rules-crafting and I think it'd serve well. PenDragon (I think) has a Mummy 2e document, have you seen it? As with all fan-hacks, it is different from yours but also has quality writing.

Will finish reading the Affinities later. I will say that I went in a different direction with my own hacking (expanded how far down target numbers can drop instead of removing them, adjusted the reduction/increase amounts favorably for some sources) because, having been an avid Exalted player, I can guarantee that they are definitely useful. How often a player will see use out of them does sort of depend on how willing they are to make their dice pools large, and how apt they are at stacking reduction sources, but my players who have used TN reduction in Mummy have made some outrageous rolls (they get goofier when you combine them with 9/8-Again, which is pretty easy to get in 2e).

My Promethean Homebrew.

Yes, I made it the same way as a Promethean. No, the authorities haven't found me yet.

Comment

I like a lot of what I'm seeing here, but I'm not entirely sure if I'm sold on the idea of using the different Pillars for different, special abilities. Would probably be more suitable to have them each be able to inflict a specific Condition, much in the same way Renown Conditions work or a vampire's Predatory Aura works. Personally, in the tinkering I've been doing, I've been replacing the Target Number reductions with 9-again and 8-again as suitable, which means they can stack all the way to a Rote Action.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Since the devs seem to consider shifting target numbers to be a mistake in retrospect there's little chance the official 2E version will still use them. In fact, the term target number now refers to the number of successes needed on an extended action rather than what minimum number is counted as a success on the dice. So if you want to keep shifting target numbers in your 2E update you'd have to change the terminology to keep it compatible with 2E.
                            Last edited by Tessie; 04-02-2017, 06:53 AM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

What devs think that? Dave B said it but he was only a writer on just two of the books, IIRC, and he wasn't the one who wrote the core book's Affinities and Utterances

Comment

Working...
                              X