So rules for Sorcerers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So rules for Sorcerers

Dark Eras Companion includes rules for sorcerers in it, as I imagine most people here in this forum know, since it was announced ahead of time that such would be the case.

So what's the verdict?

Myself, I like 'em. While not powerful, it has flavor, and it's open ended nature means that a sorcerer PC shouldn't have trouble coming up with some fun stuff to do.

I also has room for crossover, and I know some people are looking for more ways for there to be crossovers that seem organic, I suppose one could say-

While generally barred from learning sorcery thanks to their undead nature, the ordo of dracul does have a coil that is all about learning mortal magic, so I imagine some STs will allow that, even though sorcery isn't a supernatural merit, and so technically isn't viable through the rules.

Mage the awakening- Since mage groups now allow the likes of proximi and sleepwalkers to join, imagine the fun when a Mummy tries to recruit a sorcerer who is in a mage order.

Possibly one of the first thoughts I had while reading the sorcery rules is the possibility of alchemist sorcerers.

Sorcery seems like the kind of thing the autumn court (if it's one of the courts you have in your game of course) would want to know, and could be the basis for mortals taking advantage of the secrets magic if the autumn court is dominant. One secret working the same as one point of pillar seems appropriate to me.

Sorcery seems right up the Loyalists of Thule's alley, since they tend to be the lovecraftian scholar of the forbidden sort.

An Egyptian style cult of sin-eaters with some sorcery seems a natural enough fit.

For Demons, with a little reskinning, I could see this as rules for technosorcerer types who know rituals to tap into the loopholes of reality that the God-Machine and Demons take advantage of.

Originally posted by StSword View Post
    Dark Eras Companion includes rules for sorcerers in it, as I imagine most people here in this forum know, since it was announced ahead of time that such would be the case.

So what's the verdict?

Myself, I like 'em. While not powerful, it has flavor, and it's open ended nature means that a sorcerer PC shouldn't have trouble coming up with some fun stuff to do.

I also has room for crossover, and I know some people are looking for more ways for there to be crossovers that seem organic, I suppose one could say-

While generally barred from learning sorcery thanks to their undead nature, the ordo of dracul does have a coil that is all about learning mortal magic, so I imagine some STs will allow that, even though sorcery isn't a supernatural merit, and so technically isn't viable through the rules.

Mage the awakening- Since mage groups now allow the likes of proximi and sleepwalkers to join, imagine the fun when a Mummy tries to recruit a sorcerer who is in a mage order.

Possibly one of the first thoughts I had while reading the sorcery rules is the possibility of alchemist sorcerers.

Sorcery seems like the kind of thing the autumn court (if it's one of the courts you have in your game of course) would want to know, and could be the basis for mortals taking advantage of the secrets magic if the autumn court is dominant. One secret working the same as one point of pillar seems appropriate to me.

Sorcery seems right up the Loyalists of Thule's alley, since they tend to be the lovecraftian scholar of the forbidden sort.

An Egyptian style cult of sin-eaters with some sorcery seems a natural enough fit.

For Demons, with a little reskinning, I could see this as rules for technosorcerer types who know rituals to tap into the loopholes of reality that the God-Machine and Demons take advantage of.

Could you give me some examples of things those sorcerers could do? I've heard about them recently

Comment

I have to wait until the book is available to the public but what I am hearing is making me excited for the Vampire-Mummy Two Fisted Tales style game I want to do.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
        Could you give me some examples of things those sorcerers could do? I've heard about them recently
        Sure.

The first option the book gives them is to be better at the stuff that anyone can do- exorcism, abjuration, demon summoning, amkhata creation, etc, These are called open rituals, because they're open to everyone in the you can follow the directions off the internet if you have to.

The second option, and the two aren't mutually exclusive, but if you're a mere mortal at best you have 10 slots open (resolve plus occult), are closed rituals.

Closed rituals are stuff that virtually anyone can do, barring being lifeless, deathless, undead, or a ghost, but they're available in the same way a black belt in karate is available, you have to really learn it.

Closed rituals are rituals as the name implies, that have three ritual components.

The first example given goes like this. Element 1- Drain the blood of a proven warrior into a bronze bowl until the bowl is full

Element 2- The sorcerer dunks their head into the still warm blood until they run out of air.

Element 3- The sorcerer must then turn to the setting sun and loudly and repeatedly proclaim "Ares!"

That night, the sorcerer has two extra points of resolve and doesn't suffer from breaking points for anything they do that night.

So as I said, not particularly powerful, but flavorful and open ended so a sorcerer player and their ST shouldn't have too much trouble coming up with some fun stuff.

If they are given a point of pillar, then a sorcerer can forego one of the three elements.

Sorcery is not a supernatural merit, but which supernaturals, barring those explicitly barred like the undead or ghosts, qualify to learn rituals is left to ST discretion.

And if one wants more powerful sorcerers, well chronicles of darkness has lots of options for adding stuff that could count as open rituals if the ST wants.

Comment

Sure.

The first option the book gives them is to be better at the stuff that anyone can do- exorcism, abjuration, demon summoning, amkhata creation, etc, These are called open rituals, because they're open to everyone in the you can follow the directions off the internet if you have to.

The second option, and the two aren't mutually exclusive, but if you're a mere mortal at best you have 10 slots open (resolve plus occult), are closed rituals.

Closed rituals are stuff that virtually anyone can do, barring being lifeless, deathless, undead, or a ghost, but they're available in the same way a black belt in karate is available, you have to really learn it.

Closed rituals are rituals as the name implies, that have three ritual components.

The first example given goes like this. Element 1- Drain the blood of a proven warrior into a bronze bowl until the bowl is full

Element 2- The sorcerer dunks their head into the still warm blood until they run out of air.

Element 3- The sorcerer must then turn to the setting sun and loudly and repeatedly proclaim "Ares!"

That night, the sorcerer has two extra points of resolve and doesn't suffer from breaking points for anything they do that night.

So as I said, not particularly powerful, but flavorful and open ended so a sorcerer player and their ST shouldn't have too much trouble coming up with some fun stuff.

If they are given a point of pillar, then a sorcerer can forego one of the three elements.

Sorcery is not a supernatural merit, but which supernaturals, barring those explicitly barred like the undead or ghosts, qualify to learn rituals is left to ST discretion.

And if one wants more powerful sorcerers, well chronicles of darkness has lots of options for adding stuff that could count as open rituals if the ST wants.
          Thank youu

Comment

Sure.

I love it! I could build up a John Constantine type occult detective with these rules.

Comment

When I wrote this magical setup I thought I was drawing inspiration from the diabolist class in the Talislanta RPG.

Funnily enough, I checked recently, and our sorcerers here have little to no connection with Talislanta's diabolists in the way their rites work, so I'm not actually sure what their genesis was. Clearly a confluence of inspirations!

Matthew Dawkins
              In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

~Hapax Legomenon~

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post
                When I wrote this magical setup I thought I was drawing inspiration from the diabolist class in the Talislanta RPG.

Funnily enough, I checked recently, and our sorcerers here have little to no connection with Talislanta's diabolists in the way their rites work, so I'm not actually sure what their genesis was. Clearly a confluence of inspirations!

Actually, I think they are more likely inspired in Exalted Third Edition rules for mortal sorcerers.

Comment

I've been greatly anticipating the revelation of the Sorcerer rules, and I really enjoy how distinct they are from the myriad of other magic systems in the CofD. Thank you!

Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
                  Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
                  Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

Originally posted by Raistlin View Post

I love it! I could build up a John Constantine type occult detective with these rules.
                    It also has an option for gaining ritual slots through integrity loss, so it's also pretty good for lovecraftian style cultists or occult scholars.

Comment

Originally posted by Raistlin View Post

Actually, I think they are more likely inspired in Exalted Third Edition rules for mortal sorcerers.
                      Surprisingly not, as I've not actually read Exalted Third Edition!

Matthew Dawkins
                      In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

~Hapax Legomenon~

Comment

Surprisingly not, as I've not actually read Exalted Third Edition!

Conceptually there are similarities, in that Exalted sorcerers manipulate the energy of essence around them to achieve their aims, but that's pretty much it, and let's face, sorcerer types not using personal energy is hardly rare as a concept.

Comment

Conceptually there are similarities, in that Exalted sorcerers manipulate the energy of essence around them to achieve their aims, but that's pretty much it, and let's face, sorcerer types not using personal energy is hardly rare as a concept.
                          I was talking about how closed rituals resemble those of E3: very specific, low key yet useful enough to justificate their existence among puny humans; the supernatural of course have far better tools.

Comment

I have a question about Open Rites and Open Rite Mastery:

Do you buy Open Rite Mastery for each open rite or once bought it applies to every open rite you can perform?

Comment

I'm not an OP author, nor do I play one on TV, but the way I read it open rite mastery applies to a singular open ritual, so it would be open right mastery- amkhata creation, or open right mastery- abjuration, etc.

But perhaps the Gentleman Gamer could clarify.

Comment

Working...
                              X