Homebrew Sorcery Rites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebrew Sorcery Rites

This may be a bit too soon, seeing as the DE Companion hasn't been released yet for sale. That said, if anyone happens to have ideas for new Closed Rites (or even actions that would qualify as Open Rites), feel free to drop them here.

"My Homebrew Hub"
    Age of Azar
    The Kingdom of Yamatai

What are those again? Posts by people in this forum suggest to me that Open Rites are bits of occult rites that anyone can do, like Abjuration in the core. And Closed Rites are... not?

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Two unpolished Rites of my making:

"Portal"
      1. Procure an analog TV receiver and set it on static.
      2. Imbibe tea from Gymnopilus luteoviridis mushrooms.
      3. Remain still and meditate on the static for several hours.
      Near the end of the rite, the ritualist will physically push through the screen and become transmitted. They can emerge from any other TV receiver meeting the same conditions, as long as they've visited the destination site before. No other passenger can be taken, by the transfer allows for taking as many belongings as the ritualist can carry. The Rite does not fix the effects of the mushrooms.

Pillar expenditure may accomplish any of the following things:
      1. The TV receiver may be replaced with any reflective surface.
      2. Imbibing the mushrooms may be replaced with tracing a spiral pattern on the screen.
      3. Lengthy meditation may be replaced with short breathing exercises, repeated until light-headedness.
      Additionally, if a Pillar point was spent, the Rite can take the ritualist to any destination in the world, without restrictions. If the ritualist has no destination in mind, Fate intervenes and chooses one for them.

"Gain Skill"
      1. Procure a book that nobody has read before. It's easier in the age of print, than it was in the past.
      2. Make a seal in your blood on every page. The seal must be an altered character for "know" in classical Chinese.
      3. Burn the book and hold your hand above the flames. Burning oneself is not necessary.
      The ritualist gains the knowledge found in the book, until the next time they sleep. It's best represented with two Dots of Merits, two Dots of Skills, or the Informed Condition.

1. The book may have been read before.
      2. Making a seal may be replaced with chanting a poem in classical Chinese, written by the Rite's creator.
      3. Instead of burning the book, the ritualist may cut a thin strip of paper along the book's length and swallow it.
      Additionally, if a Pillar point was spent, the Rite can grant either two Dots of Merits or two Dots of Skills in addition to base benefits. Not only that, the ritualist doesn't suffer from lack of sleep for a number of days equal to their Intelligence.
      Last edited by Teatime; 04-04-2017, 07:30 PM.

Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
        What are those again? Posts by people in this forum suggest to me that Open Rites are bits of occult rites that anyone can do, like Abjuration in the core. And Closed Rites are... not?
        Pretty much.

Open Rites are basically rites that do not require a supernatural template. So, actions like Exorcism and Warding would be considered Open Rites. The same could be said for unveiling Sybaritic Omens and creating Amkhata.

"My Homebrew Hub"
        Age of Azar
        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Related to my earlier post.

Book of the Deceived gave us a ritual for locating seba. I'm not sure what the exact dice pool for it was at the moment, but would it also qualify as an Open Rite?

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
            Related to my earlier post.

Book of the Deceived gave us a ritual for locating seba. I'm not sure what the exact dice pool for it was at the moment, but would it also qualify as an Open Rite?
            A perfect example, I would say.

Particularly since I used mortals bearing Seba with particularly notable and mystical effects as my shorthand for Sekhem Sorcerers before we had rules for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Azahul View Post
              A perfect example, I would say.

Particularly since I used mortals bearing Seba with particularly notable and mystical effects as my shorthand for Sekhem Sorcerers before we had rules for them.
              Heh.

Refresh my memory, then. Was the dice pool "Intelligence or Wits + Academics or Occult?

EDIT: Finally checked it. It's [lower of Intelligence or Wits + [lower of Academics or Occult]
              Last edited by Deionscribe; 04-14-2017, 09:53 PM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Question on something: The Pillar Point to obviate one of the elements of a Closed Rite. Is there any special significance to it being a Pillar point? Or is it because it is generally Mummy themed content? Could other supernatural fuel types be used?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                  Question on something: The Pillar Point to obviate one of the elements of a Closed Rite. Is there any special significance to it being a Pillar point? Or is it because it is generally Mummy themed content? Could other supernatural fuel types be used?
                  It is Mummy themed content, so the sorcery is manipulating Sekhem and I assume that's why the requisite expenditure is in Pillars.

That said, the system is so baseline and easy to mod that you can change that element with zero repercussions, beyond what it might mean for your personal setting.

Comment

[Stubs]

[Supernatural] Sorcerer •••
                    Prerequisites: Ritual Sorcerer, Supernatural Resource (such as Glamour, Essence, Aether, etc.)
                    Effect: You can spend other points of supernatural resources in place of Pillar points. You can still only obviate or reduce one element of a Rite, however.

Vengeance of the Burned
                    1. Preside over the entire burning and cremation of a human being (such that they know you are responsible).
                    2. Use the ash mixed with your blood to draw the old Germanic rune for fire upon your body, along with the name of the sacrifice. (Upon completion, the rune flairs and smolders. The bearer smells faintly of smoke and burning flesh).
                    3. Recite the name of the victim. The smoldering rune sears into your flesh and grants you control over flames for a time.
                    Doing the third step allows the sorcerer to gain Pyrokinesis ••••• for the Scene, except instead of spending Willpower, they take a single point of damage as if from fire. Note, however, that if someone should declare the holder of the rune as killer of the sacrificial victim by name, the accuser instead gets a free use of Pyrokinesis ••••• against the sorcerer.

1. Any cremated remains maybe be used, provided the source's name is known.
                    2. The ash can be stored in a flask, and doesn't emit noticeable light or odor.
                    3. Invoking the rune doesn't deal fire damage to the sorcerer.
                    A Day in the Life
                    1. Consume some of the target's brain matter.
                    2. Chant an ancient song to the dead in Jukun (taking at least 1 hour).
                    3. Slip into a 24-hour long coma.
                    Doing so allows the sorcerer to relive the last 24 hours of the "donor".

1. Consume anything of the deceased instead of strictly brain matter.
                    2. Eliminate the song.
                    3. Shorten the coma to 1 hour (the sorcerer still experiences the full 24 hours of the subject, but in compressed time).
                    Call from Oblivion
                    1. Obtain the document listing the Soul Pact of an individual.
                    2. Construct a radio transmitter from pieces of Infrastructure, Demons, or Gadgets upon an Avernian Gate.
                    3. Play a transmission in a strange "machine language" (requiring an Occult Specialty in the God-Machine or Demons) repeating words of command, binding, and the lost one's true name.
                    By means of this particularly obscure Rite, the sorcerer can call forth the shade of one condemned by demonic forces to oblivion - what is sometimes referred to as an "Echo" - and bind them to the summoner's service for 4 days.

Aether expenditure may accomplish any of the following things:
                    1. Any treasured belonging of the former soul may be used instead of only the Soul Pact document.
                    2. Allow common radio transmission gear to send out the signal.
                    3. Allow the transmitter to be constructed anywhere.
                    4. Allow the Echo to exist for as long as the transmitter keeps repeating its signal.
                    [Stub] Mapping the Stars
                    [Goal is to divine the next Convergence for Seba in the area. Might model it on Kepher, so the sorcerer can get closer to their target and follow the threads. Not sure about the 3 components, though. EDIT: Found the rough rules in Book of the Deceived; now I just need to frame that within the context of Closed Rites.]
                    Last edited by Vent0; 01-04-2018, 12:56 PM.

Comment

I have an idea for a merit...which needs more rites.

Initiated Sorcerer (**)
                      Prerequisites: Mystery Cult Initiation *** or higher, Ritual Sorcery
                      You may learn an additional number of rites (or improve a number of open rites) equal to your dots in the Mystery Cult Initiation merit, provided that said rites draw upon the Purpose, Doctrine or Relic of the cult among their elements.These elements may not be removed with Pillar expenditure.
                      Special: You may purchase this merit multiple times; each time it is connected to a different cult you are a member of.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Hmmm. I wonder if this format would also work for human Spirit Rites, for those who invoke the powers of the Shadow. More Werewolf than Mummy, sure, but this seems like it would fit (where Pack Rites don't, that is - these do have a bit more mechanics, though).

A few other stubs to finish when I have more time:

Magic Beans
                        The sorcerer enchants some variety of Fabacaea and plants them in the ground. While they sleep, they dream of an enormous growth of the plant that, if follow or climb it, leads their dreaming form into a Hollow in the Hedge. The Hollow is guaranteed to have some treasure or information of value, though no assurances are made as to its inhabitants or guardians. Upon bringing what they find back to their dream Bastion, the sorcerer will remember the information or discover the treasure shortly after waking.

The Ritual has the following elements:
                        1. The sorcerer must trade away the last thing of value they possess to acquire the Legumes.
                        2. They must plant all that they acquire outside their bedroom (or place they will rest).
                        3. [?]
                        One point of Glamour can be expended to:
                        1. Reduce what they must trade away for simply anything they value.
                        2. Allow other fellow sleepers in the same room to accompany them.
                        3. Ensure they encounter at least one helpful denizen upon their journey.
                        Gingerbread Minion
                        The sorcerer bakes a small homunculus that performs a task with great swiftness. Upon completion, the sorcerer "possesses" the creation and sets about a task with four times their normal Speed or reducing Extended actions by 1/4th.

The Ritual has the following elements:
                        1. The sorcerer bakes and molds the figure themselves while chanting an obscure poem in native Russian. [?]
                        2. Baking ingredients must contain bone meal made from someone related to the sorcerer.
                        3. The sorcerer gains four instances of the Gullible Condition, as well as the Soul-Shocked Condition if they "die" while inhabiting the construct. [Is "gain a Condition" a valid element?]
                        One point of Glamour can be expended to:
                        1. Allow any baked humanoid figure to qualify, or even store-bought options. [?]
                        2. The bone meal need only contain an animal the sorcerer owned.
                        3. They can animate the figure with a limited intelligence, allowing them to continue with other tasks. It is able to deliver messages or complete small tasks (involving Extended Actions) at 1/4 the normal time as a 4-dot Retainer. Obviously the sorcerer no longer risks the Soul-Shocked Condition upon the creation's demise.
                        Gullible
                        You are exceptionally naive. Others find manipulating you to your detriment comes easily, as you buy any line, and trust them implicitly. Your impression of everyone starts one better than normal, and others reduce your Doors by one.
                        Beat: Whenever you forego opposing Social Maneuvering.
                        Resolution: When you are convinced to do something to your detriment and you realize it.
                        Last edited by Vent0; 01-25-2018, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Ok, about Gingerbread Minion. Step 2 is pretty scary, but it seems like it's too much of a price for something that's basically a powered-up Brownie's Boon, even with the Glamour expenditure.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                            Ok, about Gingerbread Minion. Step 2 is pretty scary, but it seems like it's too much of a price for something that's basically a powered-up Brownie's Boon, even with the Glamour expenditure.
                            Well, it really depends how attached one is to their relatives. Some might consider Step 2 a feature, not a bug. And sure, Brownie's Boon completes things quick... but if you are human, that really isn't an option, is it?

I tried to make the Rites harsh. This kind of magic isn't supposed to be easy for mortals to perform. It is there for those desperate enough to go to these ends in exchange for a magical answer.
                            Last edited by Vent0; 02-02-2018, 04:36 PM.

Comment

OK I guess, but what makes this better than just using, like, Teamwork. Your Magic Beans Rite had pretty harsh prerequisites, but I could see why someone would use it even so.
                              Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 02-02-2018, 04:49 PM.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Working...
                              X