Homebrew Sorcery Rites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
    OK I guess, but what makes this better than just using, like, Teamwork. Your Magic Beans Rite had pretty harsh prerequisites, but I could see why someone would use it even so.
    Honestly? I just had the fairy tales stuck in my head (after reading them out loud 5+ times a few nights in a row), and tried to make something that matched the tales. Ideas for making them better would be appreciated.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

I don't know how it would work, but the idea of a murderous little Gingerbread fiend that mesmerizes people to chase it right into a giant oven that closes behind them and maybe even disappears came to mind.

The perfect crime if you hate someone enough to kill them horribly and kill or desecrate the graves of those you love to do it.

Also, I'd specify that it has to be a housepet and not livestock
      Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 02-02-2018, 05:04 PM.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Pardon for the thread necromancy, but here's a couple of Rites based off the Greek Magical Papyri that I put together last night.

Blinding of Re: Taking the eye of a corpse that has died a violent death; the sorcerer crushes it in a mortar and pestle, mixing it with a scarab, unripe olive oil, and a rose. The sorcerer prepares the mixture at night, and at dawn spits out a ritualized threat to Re, demanding that the god turn his gaze away. Smearing the mixture on themselves, the sorcerer gains a +2 bonus to Stealth from dawn to dusk. Spending a point of Ab, the sorcerer removes the need for the eye and adds +2 to Presence, making any threats they make all the more convincing.

Calling the Daimon: Born out of a melting pot of cultures in Late Roman Egypt, the rite has elements of Coptic Christianity, Roman polytheism, and even Iremite Egyptian. The sorcerer must kill a falcon and bathe it with frankincense, interring it in a chest of juniper wood. Mix the falcon’s blood with wine, milk, and honey. The sorcerer spends the night exalting the falcon as Heru, and then at dawn calls upon Azar to raise again his son. A Goetic tagged with the Familiar Condition will then follow you. It Attributes (and therefore its Rank and other traits) are determined as per your Dream Form. It resembles the character’s ideal self, but falcon-headed and winged. By spending a point of Ba, the falcon doesn’t die in the process, and the resulting daimon instead Claims it as a vessel.

Engraving the Mind: Taking a papyrus perfumed with myrrh, the sorcerer writes down seven barbarous titles of the Nameless Ibis in Iremite and Greek, using ink made from the ashes of ibis feathers, wormwood, and figs. When the inscription is complete, the ink is washed off the papyrus with water taken from a natural spring, which is then collected and drank. The sorcerer gains the benefit of the Eidetic Memory Merit until the next full moon. By spending a point of Ren, the sorcerer may use any kind of water and gains the benefit of the Advanced Eidetic Memory Merit.

Pythian Prophecy: The sorcerer mixes balls made of honey, dried dates, and fragments of lodestone. They prepare a fire of sandalwood, laurel leaves, and the presiding sorcerer sits on a tripod over the fire, singing a hymn to Paean Apollo. Everyone who ingests one of the balls participates in the trance, and may ask a single question no longer than a sentence in length which is responded in the form of a riddle or koan. By spending a point of Sheut, the edible component becomes unnecessary and participants may ask a follow-up question to their original querry.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
          Pardon for the thread necromancy, but here's a couple of Rites based off the Greek Magical Papyri that I put together last night.
          Well, you won't getting argument from me. Will post my critique for these rites when I get home.

"My Homebrew Hub"
          Age of Azar
          The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post
            Well, you won't getting argument from me. Will post my critique for these rites when I get home.
            Still curious about your commentary, if you'd still like to critique them. Oh, and I've written another Closed Rite based off spells from the Greek Magical Papyri.

Aphrodite’s Binding: Take river clay and mix it with a piece from your victim, such as hair or nail clippings, or blood, and make it into a small effigy that will be anointed with the blood of the one who desires the victim. Pierce the effigy with thirteen bronze needles in key mystical centers, like the eyes and the genitals, while praying to Aphrodite and Neith to bind those senses under cover of night, and keep it in a dark place. Your chosen beloved will gain the Charmed Condition for a week. The Rite’s duration is reset by feeding the effigy blood (at least one Lethal Damage). The Rite immediately ends if the effigy is exposed to sunlight or destroyed. Spending a point of Ab, the sorcerer only needs a piece of clothing from the victim, and gains the Striking Looks Merit.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

The Rite of the Rising Spirit

In Pharaonic Egypt, the spirit was imagined as feathered and bird-formed. This may not be precisely accurate, but the connotations of such trappings - of freedom and movement - can be demonstrated to be quite sound.

The three elements of this Rite are as follows:
              • The ritualist must lie on her back and weigh down her hands, feet and chest with weights sufficiently heavy as to require a successful (Strength + Athletics) roll to dislodge or move. A point of Ren allows merely symbolic weights to be used.
              • The ritualist must imbibe a mind-altering substance; strong alcohol will do, but most prefer drugs such as LSD or cocaine. In a pinch, medical drugs which cause drowsiness will do. A point of Ba obviates the need for this step.
              • The ritualist must meditate herself into a coma-like state with a successful (Resolve + Composure) roll, adding 2 dice if she employed a mind-altering substance in the previous element. While in this state, she has no sense of her body. A point of Ka causes her to remain aware of it, allowing her to react to harm to it.
              Upon successful completion of the Rite, the ritualist’s spirit leaves her body, entering the Goetic frequency of Twilight. The form of the ritualist’s spirit may be greatly different to her physical body, because this is her manifest self-image, divorced from the limitations of flesh. Of particular note is the fact that the spirits In spirit-form, the ritualist has the following traits:
              • Power: Equal to the higher of Intelligence, Presence or Ab. Used for Intelligence, Strength, and Presence tasks.
              • Finesse: Equal to the higher of Wits, Manipulation or Ren. Used for Wits, Dexterity, and Manipulation tasks.
              • Resistance: Equal to the higher of Resolve, Composure or Ka. Used for Resolve, Stamina, and Composure tasks.
              • Dream Health: This Trait replaces regular Health. Add Resistance to the character’s Sekhem-based Attribute maximum. Losing Dream Health imposes wound penalties just as for standard Health. When a mage is “killed” due to Dream Health loss, she acquires the Soul Shocked Condition and returns to her body.
              • Manifestations: The character gains the Twilight Form and Dreamwalker Manifestations, and may pay the cost of the latter with 1 Willpower or 1 Pillar point instead of 2 Essence. For the purposes of Dreamwalker, all sleeping characters carry the Open Condition.
              The character’s spirit-form may travel any distance from her physical body, and if she enters the Astral via Dreamwalker may cross the borders of the various Astral Realms as described on pages 248-250 in Mage: the Awakening, Second Edition.

The effects of this Rite may be maintained indefinitely. However, the ritualist’s physical body still has all the same needs as ever, and if it dies, so too does she. If the ritualist’s spirit-form touches her body, she may return to it without cost as an Instant action. If her spirit-form is elsewhere, she need only spend a point of Willpower or Ba to return to it in a like manner.
              Dreamwalker: (Requires Open Condition) By spending 2 Essence, the entity shifts from Twilight into the Dream Space of an individual or location with the Open condition. Once there, it can interact with the Dream Space in the same way it interacts with the real world (including other entities also active in the Dream Space), and may use influence and numina. (Credit to Reighnhell for Dreamwalker)

---------
              The Wellhead Rite

That a place can resound with power is far from a strange concept to one initiated into the stranger side of the world. The Wellhead Rite, however, draws this power up and reifies it, infusing it into living bodies.

The three elements of this Rite are as follows:
              • The sorcerer sheds one level of Lethal damage’s worth of blood from each beneficiary. A point of Ka allows a single drop to serve instead, inflicting no mechanical damage.
              • The blood is ritually scattered the area whose Resonance is to be drawn upon. A point of Ab obviates the need for this step.
              • The sorcerer performs an hour-long chant invoking the power of the place to empower the beneficiaries. A point of Ren reduces this to one minute’s chanting.
              For the next two days, each beneficiary gains the 9-again quality on all rolls related to the location’s Resonance.
              Last edited by ajf115; 01-11-2020, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Now, how about Rites of Healing, Summoning, and enhancing the Geometry of an area?

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                  Now, how about Rites of Healing, Summoning, and enhancing the Geometry of an area?
                  I shall have a go tomorrow.

I feel like healing would probably be like some kind of beneficial voodoo doll, with the normal version involving the sorcerer inflicting wounds on something equal to the target's and thus healing them, while the version with Pillar point expenditure lets you do it with an effigy or maybe an animal.

Summoning would vary wildly based on what you're summoning (Person? Ghost? Spirit? Goetia? Other?), but it might be interesting to explore a Sorcerous Rite that doesn't so much summon something as... enforce the Open Rite version of summoning - that is, it's not just creating the Resonant and Open Conditions, it's forcing something to appear if it can. Also, there's the question of whether or not the rite lets you compel whatever you conjure up.

When you say 'enhance the geometry of an area', are you talking stuff like the old Geomancy Merit in Second Sight?

Comment

Originally posted by ajf115 View Post
                    I shall have a go tomorrow.

I feel like healing would probably be like some kind of beneficial voodoo doll, with the normal version involving the sorcerer inflicting wounds on something equal to the target's and thus healing them, while the version with Pillar point expenditure lets you do it with an effigy or maybe an animal.
                    Sounds about right.

Summoning would vary wildly based on what you're summoning (Person? Ghost? Spirit? Goetia? Other?), but it might be interesting to explore a Sorcerous Rite that doesn't so much summon something as... enforce the Open Rite version of summoning - that is, it's not just creating the Resonant and Open Conditions, it's forcing something to appear if it can. Also, there's the question of whether or not the rite lets you compel whatever you conjure up.
                    I was thinking calls/teleports the subject to the ritualist. Standard "Summoning" is building appropriate Conditions for it to Manifest, but does nothing if the subject is not already present.

When you say 'enhance the geometry of an area', are you talking stuff like the old Geomancy Merit in Second Sight?
                    I mean like in Tomb Geometry. Enhancing the alignment of Pillars and such. More of a precursor Rite to make other Rites easier.

Comment

I was thinking calls/teleports the subject to the ritualist. Standard "Summoning" is building appropriate Conditions for it to Manifest, but does nothing if the subject is not already present.
                      Mmm. I can work with that.

I mean like in Tomb Geometry. Enhancing the alignment of Pillars and such. More of a precursor Rite to make other Rites easier.
                      So, maybe a Rite that lets you consecrate a space so that the space supplies one of a specific Pillar point to Rites performed within it?

Comment

Well, here's the summoning rite:

The Rite of Beckoning

Oftentimes, a sorcerer requires the presence of something which will not come of its own accord. Perhaps she needs a sacrifice, or perhaps she wishes to summon a servant or a master. The Rite of Beckoning is a potent tool in such circumstances, but a sorcerer should be prepared with other means to keep whatever she conjures up under her control, and to banish it once their business is done.

The components of the Rite of Beckoning are as follows:
                        • The sorcerer must possess a close sympathetic connection to the target, such as a lock of hair, a drop of blood or similar, and must know its name. A point of Ren means that the sorcerer need only know the target’s name.
                        • The Rite must be performed in a consecrated space, with various occult diagrams and shrines channeling its power to the intended recipient. A point of Ab negates the need for this step entirely.
                        • The sorcerer must succeed on an Extended (Resolve + Occult) roll with an interval of an hour and a target number equal to the higher of the target’s Rank, Supernatural Tolerance or Resolve, as applicable. A point of Ba reduces the interval of the roll to one minute.
                        If the Extended roll is successful, the target suffers the Beckoned Condition.
                        Beckoned (Persistent)
                        There is a tugging at your heart; a power is drawing you towards them. While this Condition persists, you know the direction and distance to your summoner, may not regain Willpower from sleeping unless actively moving towards that location, and all rolls not directly related to reaching the summoner suffer a -2 penalty and lose the 10-again quality due to the distraction of the beckoning.

Ephemeral beings such as ghosts or spirits may choose to spend a point of Willpower or two points of Essence to instantly teleport to within five yards of the summoner. Additionally, the area within five yards of the summoner counts as Resonant for the scene in which the ephemeral being reaches her.

Resolution: Physically answering the summons. The Condition is automatically resolved without gaining a Beat after a number of days equal to the summoner's Resolve.
                        Beat: The character suffers a dramatic failure on a roll that has been reduced to a chance die by this Condition.

Comment

The Cauldron of Resurrection

Ghosts are often powerful, but in many ways are limited. More than a few become envious of the physicality enjoyed by mortals, and more than a few sorcerers have longed to embrace lost loves, or to lend powerful servants a body more able to interact with the physical world. Thus, there is the Cauldron of Resurrection, a rite which, while it does not strictly live up to its name, is nevertheless a potent tool.

The elements of the Cauldron are as follows:
                          • A large cauldron, cistern or other vessel must be filled with water, seven Lethal health levels’ worth of blood (which must be fresh, i.e. no blood bags, but may be contributed by multiple people) and an assortment of herbs, spices, oils and tinctures with a cumulative Availability of 3. A point of Ren removes the need for the blood.
                          • The mixture in the vessel must be brought to boiling and kept there for the rite’s duration. A point of Ab allows the sorcerer to harness the rite’s magic to cause the brew to boil without outside aid.
                          • The sorcerer and at least two other participants must each succeed on a (Stamina + Occult) roll to chant the spell successfully for the rite’s seven hours. A point of Ka reduces the duration of the rite to one hour, adding +3 to the (Stamina + Occult) roll.
                          If successful, any ghost present may enter the cauldron. If this is done, the brew within boils, froths and sends forth a thick mist, and within the mist a body is formed for the ghost. The ghost is automatically and freely Fettered to the body, and may use the Possess Manifestation upon it for a reduced cost of 1 Essence, even if it normally knows neither of these Manifestations. The body has whatever Physical Attributes the ghost possessed in life, and appears as a double of their former self. One dot is lost from these Attributes every (6 - Rank) days, and when any Attribute reaches 0 the body evaporates as red-tinged and perfumed steam, ending both the Fettered and Possessed Conditions.
                          Last edited by ajf115; 01-12-2020, 11:28 AM.

Comment

The Scapegoat Rite

Mongst the most common prayers or desires which a sorcerer might fulfil is that of healing; to those without the benefit of modern medicine - or to those with access to it, for that matter - the wish for pain and suffering to cease is a powerful one. The Scapegoat Rite gets its name from the Judaic ritual of casting the sins of a tribe onto a goat, which is then driven into the desert to die, thus expiating those sins. However, too many similar rituals to count have been devised over the ages. Variants of this Rite certainly exist to purge diseases or poisons, but this version focuses on physical harm - wounds and similar.
                            The three components of the Scapegoat Rite are as follows:
                            • The sorcerer must acquire a ‘scapegoat’, which must be of the same species as the beneficiary to be healed. A point of Ka allows the scapegoat to be of a different species.
                            • The sorcerer carefully paints the skin of both beneficiary and scapegoat with identical glyphs, linking them metaphysically. This process takes at least two hours, and is impossible if either participant is resistant - incapacitation or consent are necessary. A point of Ab allows the sorcerer to spend ten minutes chanting instead.
                            • The sorcerer must inflict wounds or damage upon the scapegoat equivalent to that which she wishes to heal in the beneficiary. Healing three levels of Lethal Damage requires inflicting three levels of Lethal Damage, while healing an amputation requires an amputation. A point of Ren allows the damage inflicted to be lesser than that healed by one degree - Bashing inflicted heals Lethal and Lethal Aggravated. In the case of damage such as amputation, merely temporary harm will suffice; breaking an arm will restore one lost, for instance.
                            If the Rite is performed successfully, damage is healed as detailed above.

Comment

For the Rite that provides Pillar points, the way I'm structuring it is that the second element is a process to consecrate the structure to one or another of the Pillars. Any ideas for those rituals, for each of the Pillars?

Comment

For the Rite that provides Pillar points, the way I'm structuring it is that the second element is a process to consecrate the structure to one or another of the Pillars. Any ideas for those rituals, for each of the Pillars?
                                I'd require either anchoring Vestiges, or for them to be sacrificed. Any Pillar Point cab be spend instead. It probably only lasts a specific number of uses or for a limited time.

Comment

Working...
                                X