Cursed Necropolis: Rio released!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cursed Necropolis: Rio released!

Mummies Alive! Rio has finally been released and the Mummy Kickstarter is finally completed as CofD takes its biggest step into exploring South America!

Discuss.

He/His Pronouns | Currently writing: Tome of the Pentacle (OPP), Better Feared: Nosferatu (STV)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

I want!

If I buy the PDF now, can I get the POD+PDF discount later? Much easier to convince the wife to part with $13 now and $25 later than $38 now.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
    Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
    He/him pronouns, please

Comment

Originally posted by BigDamnHero View Post
      I want!

If I buy the PDF now, can I get the POD+PDF discount later? Much easier to convince the wife to part with $13 now and $25 later than $38 now.
      I don't think so. At least, I never have for Kickstarter releases I didn't back.

He/His Pronouns | Currently writing: Tome of the Pentacle (OPP), Better Feared: Nosferatu (STV)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

Hm. I'm not entirely clear on why Tier 2 of Rejuvenating Flesh is limited to once per Descent. It seems like an odd limitation, given that the first and third tiers are once per day.

Horse and Rider is incredible though. Whether player character or NPC, the idea of a character capable of acting 100% through proxies and never showing their real face is really cool. Should I get to run (or play in) Mummy again there is a 100% chance that there will be a character based entirely around that Utterance.

The Relic Architecture rules are neat, though they feel a little weak. I get that they're only merit dots, but sculpting entire environments like that feels like it could stand to yield something a bit more impressive than some of the effects listed. I also can't see any benefit for being an Oasis. Supposedly it makes it easier to create effects than building a Lifeweb from whole cloth, but the mechanics run counter to that. Building a Guildhall on an Oasis versus building a Guildhall in any random location has the exact same mechanical effect but costs you two merit dots more, unless I'm reading something wrong?

I wish I liked the idea of a Macaw-based Amkhat more than I do, but honestly it feels like a joke...

Still, some absolute gems in there. I'll probably hold off on reading the rest of the setting stuff until my physical book arrives, since I'm focussing on other games right now, but the new mechanics are really cool and I'll be weaving them into any future campaign for sure.

Comment

Finally got the motivation to dig into this. Liking the history section so far,. There's some real depth and emotion to those stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Azahul View Post
            The Relic Architecture rules are neat, though they feel a little weak. I get that they're only merit dots, but sculpting entire environments like that feels like it could stand to yield something a bit more impressive than some of the effects listed.
            There's an extensively earthworked valley in the Andes which appears (by some interpretations) to be an attempt by the Inka to influence the constellations into "missing" a particular configuration - astrology in reverse - I realise that's a long way from Rio, but there's room for serious epic in architecture and earthworking.

(The Inka also had some unique astrology, because the combination of their lattitude and altitude enabled them to see more detailed patches of light and dark in the band of the Milky Way, which were accounted along with the stars - so-called black cloud constellations - tell me that doesn't sound Mummy).

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessNick View Post
              There's an extensively earthworked valley in the Andes which appears (by some interpretations) to be an attempt by the Inka to influence the constellations into "missing" a particular configuration - astrology in reverse - I realise that's a long way from Rio, but there's room for serious epic in architecture and earthworking.

(The Inka also had some unique astrology, because the combination of their lattitude and altitude enabled them to see more detailed patches of light and dark in the band of the Milky Way, which were accounted along with the stars - so-called black cloud constellations - tell me that doesn't sound Mummy).
              That does sound cool. That also isn't what I was talking about.

Comment

So what is Relic Architecture for people who don't have the book yet?

Comment

It's an extension/alternate version of the Tomb Merit, allowing for a few different types of structure with some additional Endowments. They can weaken Sybaris, slow the Descent, help recharge Pillars (Tomb Geometry), and perform a few different functions depending on the type of structure (with examples like Fortresses, Guildhalls, and the Oasis type I was taking issue with in my previous post).

Comment

It's an extension/alternate version of the Tomb Merit, allowing for a few different types of structure with some additional Endowments. They can weaken Sybaris, slow the Descent, help recharge Pillars (Tomb Geometry), and perform a few different functions depending on the type of structure (with examples like Fortresses, Guildhalls, and the Oasis type I was taking issue with in my previous post).
                    Can they replicate the teleportation effect (I think) Geometry can have?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Can they replicate the teleportation effect (I think) Geometry can have?
                      The only teleportation effect I can think of that you might be referring to would be Tier 2 Ancestry of Forgotten Skies, which allows you to teleport to the nearest location with high Geometry. Since Geometry is an attribute that can be possessed by all relic architecture, yes, that effect would presumably be replicated, but I would need to double-check Ancestry of Forgotten Stars to be sure.

Comment

Okay, what the fuck are those obelisks? They have easily taken the cake for the oldest supernatural event in my timeline. While Hamset may have dated them to about 10000 BCE, I'm going to take a bold stance and say they were probably constructed in 9676 BCE, which lies on the Sothic Cycle. Man, that throws a wrench in my hypotheses about Mummies! Hopefully, CAS gives us more hints about this mystery soon.

COUGHbookofgoingwestwardCOUGH

Comment

It kinda makes the theory of the Shan'iatu being the last survivors of an even older rite of return sound feasible. If there is an obelisk/fountain on the moon, I wouldn't be at all shocked. But I do like the idea of them being a product of a Sothic Turn. Perhaps even the one preceding the one you mentioned. If the First Prophets of the old world learned about them, it'd cause a deeper crisis of faith than the Dreams of Avarice. The Deceived would seem to have beliefs that support the idea of them--the broken temakh memories seem to include the Shaniatu traveling the world and starting little garden of Eden style cultural experiments before they gathered together to found Irem.

I love the relic architecture, my only issue is that, aside from the innate powers, most of the keywords for each type overlap. Still, it inspired me a lot. I figured that NYC, as the seconds largest Nome in USA and home of a First Prophet, should have a grandiose Temple (designed using both the Rio and Guildhall rules). I figured some buildings in town dampen sybaris, while temples and palaces exist to empower the mummies who go there to reform rituals. Even if the innate traits of the places are different, each can be designed to different standards.

I also figured Ra's Al Ghoul's mountain Alamut would be a cool Fortress, and perhaps a temple of life and death. Even if the mechanics could use some more (like more keywords), the diverse ideas and places can give a city flavor. Starting up places will be fun, with relic architecture giving it some weight and obvious in game purpose.
                          Last edited by Cleverest of Things; 04-22-2017, 06:44 PM.

Comment

I wish I liked the idea of a Macaw-based Amkhat more than I do, but honestly it feels like a joke...
                            So I'm curious about this, because I really like the Serpente Penas. I think part of the issue is the art. I liked it initially, but the different animal parts seem to clash with one another. Plus, it feels a bit cluttered and doesn't show what the entire Amkhat looks like. I took the time to make a 3D model of it, and it looks something like a cockatrice. A bit less derpy and a bit more regal and terrifying. At least in my mind. Your millage may vary though.

Comment

Working...
                            X