On the "Affable Aid" Affinity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the "Affable Aid" Affinity

One thing I've just noticed about 'Affable Aid' and a few other Affinities: They have a benefit that adds +2 to select rolls, but by paying 1 Willpower the bonus can equal their defining Pillar rating instead, for one roll. Now at most, a Pillar rating can reach 5, making the roll bonus +5...which is exactly what the bonus would be if you spent 1 Willpower for the standard +3 bonus. As such, I have to ask, what is the benefit to the Willpower expenditure aspect of these Affinities?

Originally posted by shkspr1048 View Post
    One thing I've just noticed about 'Affable Aid' and a few other Affinities: They have a benefit that adds +2 to select rolls, but by paying 1 Willpower the bonus can equal their defining Pillar rating instead, for one roll. Now at most, a Pillar rating can reach 5, making the roll bonus +5...which is exactly what the bonus would be if you spent 1 Willpower for the standard +3 bonus. As such, I have to ask, what is the benefit to the Willpower expenditure aspect of these Affinities?
    My group ended up ruling that those Affinities grant you 2+Pillar Rating when you spend Willpower instead. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense otherwise.

Comment

Hmm. A workable fix, but even then it only helps if the Pillar rating is at least 4.

Comment

Originally posted by shkspr1048 View Post
        Hmm. A workable fix, but even then it only helps if the Pillar rating is at least 4.
        There's not a whole lot that can be done with the wording as is. It's a bit weird.

The only other solution I can think of is that it should add 2+Pillar Rating on top of the passive +2 from the Affinity. At which point it's worth it the moment you have a Pillar at 2. And also means a single point of Willpower can add 7 dice at Pillar 5.
        Last edited by Azahul; 04-30-2017, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X