Mummies and nowdays religions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mummies and nowdays religions

Instead to crate a cult based on a "new-age" creed, is plausible for arisens to infiltrate islamic or christian communities and, pretending to be a celestial messenger, inoculate iremite rituals and traditions into them?

It sounds plausible to me. I'm sure you can find a gnostic Christian cult or batiniyya Muslim sect that would fit your purposes well for that, they wouldn't take as much co-opting as more mainstream religious communities, as they're already built on layers of secret knowledge.

Comment

Plausible and an interesting concept. A lot of their utterences even have the style of biblical miracles.

Comment

It's very easy for an Arisen to pitch a Jesus-as-Azar cult, and I think it would be simple (especially in an earlier era) for one of the Arisen to pretend to be a saint. You could easily build some kind of Lazarus-like creed where your immortality is proof of God's favor, and your Sadikh would be evidence of the life eternal that His grace (through your Cult) has ready rewards.

EDIT: Also, calling a faith that's two thousand years old (or 1400, in Islam's case) a "nowadays religion" is really fucking funny.
        Last edited by atamajakki; 05-11-2017, 02:08 AM.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Also, consider the age and geographic spread of the Nameless Empire; the diaspora covers North Africa and some of the Middle East, which means there have been Arisen active at the heart of all the Abrahamic religions since well before their foundings. Odds are a Christian-pretending Cult isn't new; it could easily stretch back to the Crusades, and likely even well before. If you think the True Cross, the Crown of Thorns, and all the nails are Relics in the hands of Jewish and Christian cults, you're lying to yourself.

And that's before considering the hidden nature of many Christian and heretical Christian cults, from the persecuted Roman Christians up to the Gnostics and through the Cathars. They're already faithful enough to risk their loves and good at hiding their activities - they practically cry out for a Deathless patron to take advantage of them.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Hmm... a "Lazarus Church" sounds a really good idea! It's a perfect representation for an arisen or a sadikh. Perhaps the mummy may also declare to be Lazarus himself...

PS: well, islam is still a current religion, afterall...

Comment

I'm also wondering if a cult can work efficiently as a family affair....

Comment

I played a mummy who literally pretended to be a dead saint in the dark ages. Then he pretended to be neo-Jesus, because he had that relic that lets you live as a human for a while from Lore of the Deceived.

Social justice vampire/freelancer | He/Him

VtR: Curses of Caine in Requiem 2ndTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
                Podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love by giving them away

Comment

Really cool!
                  But lying about it's own identity is not a taboo for the Arisen?

Comment

To be a bit tasteless for a moment. I could see such a cult around the fringes of Western-European Muslim communities. I mean, in real life, there are small fundamentalist groups which often sound quite like cult, centering on individual preachers, often with some very odd idiosyncratic views.
                    Those guys are potentially great material for a cult. They're secretive, open to weird ideas, they work in networks where deniability is easy and above all, at least some of them are capable of commiting real acts of terrible violence. Plus, there are opportunities to gather resources from the security services as well as the possibility of having your followers deployed overseas (by those same security services) which is always helpful for gathering relics.

An Arisen could start out with a small group of followers and have them then go out and start local chapters of the cult, leaving the Mummy insulated from the people doing their bidding.

Comment

Originally posted by Ipergigio View Post
                      Really cool!
                      But lying about it's own identity is not a taboo for the Arisen?
                      'Concealing one's identity' is only a violation for Memory 10. Below that, it's fine.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Working...
                      X