Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's coming!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by schizoPOP View Post
    I'm going to debate what constitutes as "not broken." I do think that the bouncing power level is integral part of the mummy experience, but the actual Descent rules in 1st ed are pretty wonky. The starting a low memory thing is also kind of weird and arbitrary since there's no particular in-character reason that all mummies have to have uniformly low starting memory unless you're still in the scene where they're all waking up. In addition, the starting value is far less meaningful in of itself now that morality traits are now longer uniform. (Prometheans start at 1, Changeling is a derived trait, Beast starting value varies, Werewolves want to be at five.)
    Yeah, I understand what you're saying, but consider what a higher starting value would mean: your mummy remembers a lot more, or nearly everything? Where's the story in that? Where's the built-in mechanic for character arc and development if you start right out the gate knowing it all?


    Originally posted by TyrannicalRabbit View Post
    I think that was probably my favourite part of the teaser.
    This is actually one I'm cautious about. I liked that the Judges were distant masters, almost uninterested in the affairs of their servants. There's games out there about Gentry and huntsmen, ghostly reapers, God-machine angels, and I'd even say Deviant conspiracies. Let Mummy portray its niche where the Judges' influence is largely unseen.

    With that said I wouldn't mind knowing more about them. I think what's so engaging about the Deceived is the detail gone into about the temakhs, and I think the Arisen experience would be stronger if we knew more about the Judges.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by TyrannicalRabbit View Post
      That said, things like attempts to recreate the Rite and the results of those,etc would be neat to see in a supplement. Expanding the cults and having the core book go into details on things like blood bathers,etc being part of the supernatural atmosphere around the Deathless is a good touch though I think. It worked well in the Dark Eras materials so anything that expands that is a plus in my book.
      For me, I don't think anything non-Iremite should be in the core book. But I would be interested in a "global supplement" because Sekhem is a universal force, not created or exclusive to Irem, humans can use it, and one theme of the game is the world will insist on continuing on and doing things when the Arisen aren't looking. But that could include other types of relic than the familiar five, amkhata and similar beings of unknown types, and different kinds of Sekhem-powered immortals (some of which would be mummified as part of becoming what they are) (also regular mummies would probably make pretty good uter).

      Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
      Anyways, we should try and reverse the derail(my bad folks) and focus on cool stuff like OH MY GOD, WE CAN ACTUALLY PLAY AROUND IN DUAT, WHAT TERRIBLE THINGS WILL THAT RESULT IN.
      I'm with you there. Does this mean mummies can go there during their Descents, or will we see what happens to them in henet?

      Originally posted by Azahul View Post
      Just to clarify a little further, Mummy is the only Chronicles game to build itself around a player-GM divide. It calls this out itself in the core. It makes a really freaking big deal about it. But... there's practically nothing behind the core's GM "wall" that feels worth the fuss. Not every game needs something massive for the end game but Mummy very explicitly sold itself as having something. And I don't think it pulled it off well.
      I don't think it's worth trying to carry it over.

      Originally posted by reseru View Post
      This is actually one I'm cautious about. I liked that the Judges were distant masters, almost uninterested in the affairs of their servants. There's games out there about Gentry and huntsmen, ghostly reapers, God-machine angels, and I'd even say Deviant conspiracies. Let Mummy portray its niche where the Judges' influence is largely unseen.

      With that said I wouldn't mind knowing more about them. I think what's so engaging about the Deceived is the detail gone into about the temakhs, and I think the Arisen experience would be stronger if we knew more about the Judges.
      The question is how overt their influence is? Several fan-hacks have suggested that a nearby crime within your Judge's purview could be an additional reason for waking up - which implies the Judges taking a more active hand in Deathless lives, and also that they can see the world even when their servants are not present - if something like that was incorporated, their presence would be more keenly felt, even if they're never directly encountered. Or else, if the Guilds are "fractured" - whatever that means - perhaps they no longer serve as unifying factions for many Arisen, and the allegiance to your Judge replaces it.

      Comment


      • At the risk of overanalysis, the teaser describes the Judge's has having "Presence" that is more "Pervasive" and "Insidious." (at least that seems like deliberate word choice on the part of the author.) That to me suggests the Judges influence will be reoccurring (Pervasive), but subtle (Presence, Insidious).

        (There's also some ambiguity in the wording as to whether not the change is due to the edition update, or if this is something happening In-Universe. "Featuring the Judge Chronicle" or something.)

        Comment


        • I do like the fact the the Judges were distant forces...but to the Arisen, they are their Masters and I thought they should have a greater impact on the individuals bound to tuem.

          So the "Pervasive" and "Insidious" presence alluded to in the teaser is very interesting.


          Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

          Comment


          • At this point I am not going to speculate or trepidate over what it could possibly mean about the Judges. Especially given the penchant of some to devolve to harassing levels of anger over even the most minor of speculations and just let the info come out when it comes out.


            “As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

            Comment


            • Originally posted by TyrannicalRabbit View Post
              At this point I am not going to speculate or trepidate over what it could possibly mean about the Judges. Especially given the penchant of some to devolve to harassing levels of anger over even the most minor of speculations and just let the info come out when it comes out.
              But our hate makes us powerful.

              (At least, that's what it says on the pamphlet I got with this cookie...)


              Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

              Comment


              • I've already settled for the Andean and Chinese Mummies and I think we'll see them in other games. The Andes in Promethean and the Chinese in Desviants.

                But the ideas that the Andean Mummies are formed by nature after a sacrificial ritual similar to that of the Meso-American is historically wrong. Mummification was more like the Egyptian (and it was intentional and post-mortem) than the Sacrifice that was not related to the Mesoamerican sacrifices and seemed like the rare sacrifices in the Fertile Crescent.

                I really hope that Mummy expands to something more Lovecraftian and we have the prehistoric inhuman creatures at least in the Night Horrors.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Ben Linus View Post
                  But the ideas that the Andean Mummies are formed by nature after a sacrificial ritual similar to that of the Meso-American is historically wrong. Mummification was more like the Egyptian (and it was intentional and post-mortem) than the Sacrifice that was not related to the Mesoamerican sacrifices and seemed like the rare sacrifices in the Fertile Crescent.
                  I'm genuinely curious as to what your sources are for that. The last time I was in Peru I actually got the chance to visit Juanita, for example, and everything there told me she'd been preserved by the ice rather than subjected to a post-mortem mummification ritual. The exhibit could always have been wrong or corrected in the couple of years since but I've never actually heard that argument before and I'd be interested to read up on it.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
                    I do like the fact the the Judges were distant forces...but to the Arisen, they are their Masters and I thought they should have a greater impact on the individuals bound to tuem.
                    If nothing else, a little more emphasis on the crimes the Judges preside over.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
                      I do like the fact the the Judges were distant forces...but to the Arisen, they are their Masters and I thought they should have a greater impact on the individuals bound to tuem.

                      So the "Pervasive" and "Insidious" presence alluded to in the teaser is very interesting.

                      Methinks they'll be more like the temakh are to the Deceived. They're very present, if aloof, forces in your mind that try to contact and order you around regularly, offering carrots and sticks as appropriate. Probably more distant the the temakh by nature, because they aren't possessing their servants, but they know when you're planning to chase Apotheosis, and they don't like it one bit. Also they probably possess you at Memory 0, because being a thug doesn't sound as terrifying as a Memory 0 mummy should be.


                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Leliel View Post
                        Methinks they'll be more like the temakh are to the Deceived. They're very present, if aloof, forces in your mind that try to contact and order you around regularly, offering carrots and sticks as appropriate. Probably more distant the the temakh by nature, because they aren't possessing their servants, but they know when you're planning to chase Apotheosis, and they don't like it one bit.
                        Perhaps it's more ambiguous. You know when your actions are right and wrong in their eyes, and you know they're watching - but is this knowledge communicated by them, or part of your nature - where's the line between their presence and your sense of duty?

                        Comment


                        • The latest Pathcast has a short section on 2E: http://theonyxpath.com/special-episo...-gen-con-2018/

                          Cults can be tiered, we're getting Immortals brought back in the book, and the subtitle will be "The Timeless Chronicle", so this all sounds suitably amazing.


                          "Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
                          Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
                          He/him pronouns, please

                          Comment


                          • I must say that I do like the "timeless" nature of mummies- the fact that you exist in all times and all incarnations sounds really cool, and it actually has some physical sense (I'm a scientist, I love physical sense), and your ability to "remember" the future does sounds really interesting. Also- Immortals getting updated and unified as a part of Mummy's setting. I wonder if the Purified would also be included (Blood Bathers, Eternals and Visitors were mentioned, and Dark Eras has mentioned the Reborn and Body Thieves, but the rest- Purified, Wardens, Patchwork people and Harvester- are an open game)


                            My Homebrew Signature

                            "And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

                            I now blog in here

                            Comment


                            • I like how the new direction sounds (make the game more Toolbox-y), and the "Timeless" chronicle certainly adds some interesting wrinkles. (starts with Godlike power, ends with Godlike knowledge.)

                              Comment


                              • Anyone who listened to the Podcast could comment on what was spoiled by the developers?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X