It's coming!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

Honestly, you need a blend to really bring out a person's features.
    I mean, it probably also needs some onyx or obsidian as well.

And what are you doing if you don't have some lapis lazuli or precious gemstone mixed in.

And really, it also needs, like, saint's bones on the inside so that it can capture the purity of the character it presents.

​Just some thoughts.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
      I mean, it probably also needs some onyx or obsidian as well.

And what are you doing if you don't have some lapis lazuli or precious gemstone mixed in.

And really, it also needs, like, saint's bones on the inside so that it can capture the purity of the character it presents.

​Just some thoughts.
      Dammit, even if I think I can steal a sain'ts bone easily around here, that still raises the costs way beyond my budget. Ehm, my friend's budget, I mean.

Also, since I don't want to derail the thread too much, these are also #cultproblems. And after this silly joke, I'll go back to the actual Mummy books

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

• Originally posted by Cinder View Post
        Dammit, even if I think I can steal a sain'ts bone easily around here, that still raises the costs way beyond my budget. Ehm, my friend's budget, I mean.

Also, since I don't want to derail the thread too much, these are also #cultproblems. And after this silly joke, I'll go back to the actual Mummy books
        It's almost like the people you rely on to handle the regular affairs of your portion of an endless empire have power over you as regards all of that and also have their own personalities and agendas.

I'm not as cult crazy as everyone else, but that is neat to hear.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
        Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

• So, question: Are Witnesses being altered beyond "these people are immune to Sybaris"? I don't need to know what the changes are (because that probably isn't even finalized), but knowing if they are getting looked at and redone (or not) would be helpful.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

I was not going to say much but hell, I need to learn to celebrate the good things: I'm also part of the Mummy writing team. For a first freelancing job, I could not have asked for more. I hope this will be the first of many Onyx Path books I'll work on, but this is already a honor.

As part of the Iremite pact I had to make I can't let out any details, but trust me when I say that 2nd Edition will be awesome. The whole team is filled with talented and passionate people and it's quite surreal for me to actually be a part of that.

If a Peter Cushing expy makes it into the final book, blame me.

Also, because I need to try it once: so far, my favorite thing about the 2nd Edition is [REDACTED]
            Congratulations, Cinder. We’re happy to have you on the team. And I agree, [REDACTED] is awesome!

Jason Ross Inczauskis
            Freelance Writer
            Currently writing: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, TC In Media Res
            Previous projects: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action (Alban, Beelzebub, Oxblood Mold, Whispering Oak); C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

• Can't believe I didn't think of it earlier but one thing I hope gets updated, improved, touched on more,etc is death curses. They felt a little up and down and wonky in 1e.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                Sure, if you really want to toss everything I said out the window and replace it with something stupidly reductive.

I mean, yeah, there's a case for that, but the people who might find that attractive for avoiding the Nameless Empire and the rest of that bag are also not going to be satisfied by that response, so it's very definitely not my point.

My point is that a big part of the game is making the decision, as an Arisen, about whether or not the way the Nameless Empire was is truly the way of things and that adhering to it's central position of the nature of existence is the best course of action OR that the societies that have emerged since then have revealed fuller truths that are more harmonious with the nature of things and rebelling against the old judgments against flawed humanity, AND that the ability to be a full participant in those societies for a time is important for establishing the contrast of those choices, thereby rendering desires to be [X] mummies more meaningful then simply changing out the Nameless Empire with [X].

Also, Curse is not a game about how it's odd that we've started applying a slang term for Egyptian corpses to every preserved body. See “my positions are well known.”
                I've recently mentioned it elsewhere, but I figured I'd mention it in the Mummy forum as well: I wouldn't object to mummy-like immortals derived from other cultures being introduced into Mummy 2e — though I'd probably leave toward doing so in a Night Horrors supplement rather than, say, the core book or the Player's Guide, just to highlight that they're not really intended to be player characters (though, like some of the other kinds of vampires found in Wicked Dead, there might be enough to allow them to be played if someone wants to) but rather as antagonists such as rivals. The Purified, for instance, could be reintroduced into Chronicles of Darkness in this way, possibly revealing that as the Iremite immortals started their Diaspora from Egypt, they encountered the Purified in the Far East, implying that the first Purified were Asian mummies. Likewise, Iremites who migrated to South America might have encountered a different kind of immortal deriving from various local cultures' views on life after death — though, like the Purified, I'd want to emphasize the differences between them and the Arisen; make them their own thing that doesn't tread on the central role that Iremites have in the game.

Part of it is that as old as the Nameless Empire is, it's not the oldest civilization ever; and challenges to whether the Iremite way is the best way don't have to come just from younger cultures.

Comment

• Meow. Maybe they’ll do something with witnesses?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                    I've recently mentioned it elsewhere, but I figured I'd mention it in the Mummy forum as well: I wouldn't object to mummy-like immortals derived from other cultures being introduced into Mummy 2e — though I'd probably leave toward doing so in a Night Horrors supplement rather than, say, the core book or the Player's Guide, just to highlight that they're not really intended to be player characters (though, like some of the other kinds of vampires found in Wicked Dead...
                    This is essentially how I've seen it since the game was released. I don't know why it's so important to folks to have non-Iremite mummies, or what it adds to the game, but I'm totally on board with putting them in as antagonists in a Night Horrors book. It's reasonable that other cultures have mystical rituals involving the sanctity of their dead, and even that some cultures attempted to copy and re-create the Rite of Return after encountering the Deathless, but mummies as a horror trope belong to Egypt and that needs to be the game's foundation.

Comment

• Well, the other thing that Mummy is big on is stories that span history. That's easier to do when you can have recurring characters that span history, too — which is the other use that non-Iremite immortals serve. And I mean that in the broadest sense, including the likes of vampires as well as Blood Bathers, Body Thieves, Purified, and others. And not just as foils, but also as allies.

One thing that I remember the original writer of Mummy saying once was that he wanted the game to be about more than just the Arisen. That's what the chronicle Frameworks were supposed to be about: encouraging playstyles that feature a mixture of character types, not just the one — although, the game being Mummy, that one should always have a presence in the story. I'm hoping that 2e gets back to that idea, with more emphasis on others who have become involved in Item's legacy. And that can include Chinese and Andean mummies.

Comment

I was not going to say much but hell, I need to learn to celebrate the good things: I'm also part of the Mummy writing team. For a first freelancing job, I could not have asked for more. I hope this will be the first of many Onyx Path books I'll work on, but this is already a honor.

As part of the Iremite pact I had to make I can't let out any details, but trust me when I say that 2nd Edition will be awesome. The whole team is filled with talented and passionate people and it's quite surreal for me to actually be a part of that.
                        Yay! Looking forward to it.

Comment

• I think the point of contention/contrast for some people is that having other sorts of attempts at the Rite of Return,etc makes sense as material for the game line. But there is a contingent of people that seem to push that inclusion in the direction of harming some of the core themes of Mummy with how they want to include non Iremite style mummies. It's a small difference, but an important one.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

• Inclusion for the sake of inclusion is bad. Now if it adds to the story, that's good

For example, the aquaman movie is making to where aquaman is related to Polynesian mythology, and that is actually cool

Comment

• Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                              Inclusion for the sake of inclusion is bad. Now if it adds to the story, that's good

For example, the aquaman movie is making to where aquaman is related to Polynesian mythology, and that is actually cool
                              1) casting Jason Momoa justifies itself because he’s awesome and thus is not “just for inclusion”. It can be “just for Jason Momoa” and be a good enough reason.

2) The Aquaman canon they’re drawing on is as much an interracial narrative as Superman’s is an immigrant narrative. Casting an interracial actor to play that role is already justified by that reality without other changes being necessary.

3) The reason the core Justice Leaguers are as white as they are is because of publishing norms in the 40s-60s. New media updating their origins to be contemporary, instead reflecting current social norms around race as diversity (just as the all-white except the one green guy League reflected social norms) is justified without needing the above two points.

This is a sore spot for me, because of being asked to justify LGBT characters’ identity as plot relevant in my own original work, but NEVER being asked to justify a characters’ hetersexuality or cis-status. “It needs to be plot relevant or its pandering” is a standard that is only ever applied to minority representation, but never majority representation.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Did you think I was criticising it? I actually meant they made the character aquaman cool again and made a backstory involving the actors culture. I think they did a good job

Comment

Working...
                                X