Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleverest of Things
    replied
    It would be great if some of the straggling mechanics were consolidated into the core--neithan architecture, talismans, mortal sorcerers, the merits from dark eras that would still apply to modern times, that sort of thing.

It feels like the 1e core's ''storyteller's section'' caused me more confusion in regards to the meta story than clarification. While the Death Cycle was golden, a lot of the extraneous details were so light that they were barely secrets. Plus, some of it implied secrets that later books deny. There are lots of ideas present in the core that felt unnecessary to the game (apotheosis mechanics, details about Anpu besides his silent presence) right out of the gate that could've easily been saved for a supplement, while certain ideas in the supplements change the game setting so thoroughly (talismans, city-wide modifications from architecture or guildmasters) that they were hard to introduce to an ongoing game without a lot of awkwardness (oh... yeah, the temple of sutek ALWAYS doubled your life span.. what, you didn't notice?). I'd be happy if 2e compiles all of the ''need to know'' stuff into the core, shifts all the ''big dirty secrets mummies won't find out until memory 7+ endgame'' stuff into a supplement ... book of going westward maybe? a mechanical and fluff book to portray the judges' dirty secrets and flashbacks in Dust, with a chapter on Iremite history and settings? Yas pleeeease. It took me months to realize I shouldn't be doing pretty much any Irem flashbacks until higher memory kicks in, so having all the secrets and stuff in the core is a bit too tempting. So many other things need to be in the core more than details we won't need till tier 4 endgame anyway.

I do hope they hring some of the utterances up a notch. The ''life'' focused ones (golden ankh, notably) can be somewhat underwhelming. And while I do love the Guild utterances, they're fairly ''stereotypical'' and one-note, which meant many guildmasters seemed identical to one another. I wouldn't mind there being an easy way to track which Utterances get turned off at what Sekhem. But I don't want to see that mechanic lost.

Good gravy, please give shuanksen some love! With so few Bane Affinities ever given, that relies far too heavily on home brewing. The Bane Mummies are such compelling antagonists, and the concept of arisen being tainted by them is so juicy, that we NEED more bane affinities. I like amkhata as much as the next guy, but they got more overall love in the gameline than necessary, next to shuanksen. While they definitely made up for the Deceived in the end (more of my players side with them and prefer their storyline), shuanksen never got their own chapter of a book even. Bane mummies need love too, hehe.

Rather like shuanksen, there were lots of things that got a mention as if there would be more coming later (cosmic utterances, unison utterances). I don't need them in the core, but I'd love to see more of them later, especially unusual ones (non-guild unison, ammut-empowered cosmic , etc ). The corebook needs to have all the bases covered so that any and all supplements can reference them. Variety is the spice of life and all.

I can't think of much that I'd like to see changed, though, more just updated, reorganized, and streamlined. Mummies could benefit from promethean and vampire style undead body benefits, for example. It probably wouldn't need too much work, hopefully.

Leave a comment:

• Azahul
    replied
    Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
    So I have to ask: what's everyone hoping for out of a new edition?
    I've got a bit of trepidation, honestly. Even mechanically, Mummy remains one of my favourite games in spite of using first edition rules. Coming in at the tail end of the system, it really felt like it made perfect use of the established mechanics and Utterances in particular were exquisitely well balanced. It really struck me going from Mummy to Demon just how slipshod a lot of Demon's mechanics (particularly powers) were by comparison. Sybaris could use some tidying up, but beyond changing the Morality element of Memory to better match second edition and integrating Conditions and Tilts into the mechanics there isn't a huge amount I would change. Maybe raising Mummies' power level in the same manner as most second edition splats, I guess?

And of course, in terms of the game's world and story I wouldn't change a thing. If Mummy gets a reworking on the same scale as, say, Changeling, I'm going to be real worried.

But if I had one major point on my wishlist it would be Apotheosis. I hope that the game "taking place" 5-6 years after first edition means that Apotheosis will be a more established element of the setting (going by the release of Rio and the existence of post-Apotheosis Mummies there, that's already first edition's own take on the matter), so more detail on the mechanics of both reaching it and playing as a post-Apotheosis Mummy would be good. I'd even be intrigued by the prospect of making playing post-Apotheosis Mummies be the default and casting regular Mummies as antagonists, but on reflection that strips Mummy of everything that makes it unique in the first place so... better not.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    Do you think Utterances will be more freeform and loose, as is the trend for most 2e updates, or will they stay stricter defined abilities like what we got?

Leave a comment:

• Octavo
    replied
    Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
    Wait until you hear who's developing it.
    I'd guess Malcolm Sheppard, but I think he's busy with Green Ronin now.

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
    A teensy bit sad I won't have a chance to work on this, but I'm glad it's actually happening. So I have to ask: what's everyone hoping for out of a new edition?

I'm personally hoping for more support for troupe play right out of the box.
    I'd like more emphasis on player cultists. It's a great opportunity for lesser template characters. Mechanically, I'd like to see an update to the Deceived powers that were based on the fixed list of virtues and vices. I'd like to see Memory reworked as its own stat separate from Morality the way Humanity, Wisdom, and so many others were.

Leave a comment:

• Robert D
    replied
    Not my place to say, but I geeked out when I found out.
    this brings a grin of anticipated geeking out !

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert D View Post
    Ooo! Who's developing it? Very excited! Enjoyed the 1st edition greatly and am eager to see the transition into 2nd edition.
    Not my place to say, but I geeked out when I found out.

Leave a comment:

• Robert D
    replied
    Ooo! Who's developing it? Very excited! Enjoyed the 1st edition greatly and am eager to see the transition into 2nd edition.

Leave a comment:

• YeOfLittleFaith
    replied
    A streamlining and flattening of certain mechanics and fiddly moving parts that made working out Mummy be much more clumsy than it had to. I thought some of the peculiarities were very fitting at points, but that doesn't mean they were exactly good design, and in the context of 2e, there's a lot that could benefit from significant overhaul. A few presentation points like the "storyteller's wall" enforcing a separation of knowledge from the players in and out of character are entirely sensible to throw out.

The existing fluff fantastic and I expect it will be conserved as something that's unlike anything else in the CofD, but things such as the very specific prerequisites of Utterance tiers and the differentiation of pillars as technically different resources that are only interchangeable sometimes seem like logical points to simplify.
    Last edited by YeOfLittleFaith; 08-18-2017, 11:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    A teensy bit sad I won't have a chance to work on this, but I'm glad it's actually happening. So I have to ask: what's everyone hoping for out of a new edition?

I'm personally hoping for more support for troupe play right out of the box.
    Last edited by atamajakki; 08-17-2017, 03:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BigDamnHero
    replied
    Originally posted by reseru View Post
    My guess would've been Gentleman Gamer because he's worked on Mummy a couple times now and has a relationship with CAS. Regardless I'm glad it'll be someone new.

I guess it's time to finalize all those freelancer submissions I have >_>
    Same here.

Leave a comment:

• Killerclown
    replied
    Cool. I always wanted to play Mummy.

Leave a comment:

• reseru
    replied
    My guess would've been Gentleman Gamer because he's worked on Mummy a couple times now and has a relationship with CAS. Regardless I'm glad it'll be someone new.

I guess it's time to finalize all those freelancer submissions I have >_>

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tasti man LH
    replied
    (From the Dark Eras 2 thread):
    Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
    Barring a surprise announcement at this year's GenCon for a MtC2.
    Huh. I ended up being right. Who'da thunk?

Either way, something to look forward to.

Leave a comment:

• Vent0
    replied
    As Was Foretold.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X