No announcement yet.

It's coming!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This makes me happy, I wanted to play Mummy but I didn't want to play in 1st Ed rules anymore.

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

My personal hope is they drop the mechanics that alter the target number for the dice rolls. I always hated that in the original world of darkness. I wasn't pleased to see that make a return in 1ed Mummy, which is as far as I know the only Chronicles of Darkness game that used that mechanic. Hope they don't used it in 2nd ed.

Comment

Originally posted by Aikidragon View Post
        My personal hope is they drop the mechanics that alter the target number for the dice rolls. I always hated that in the original world of darkness. I wasn't pleased to see that make a return in 1ed Mummy, which is as far as I know the only Chronicles of Darkness game that used that mechanic. Hope they don't used it in 2nd ed.
        I have a hunch they won't.

CofD booklists:
        Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

The term target numbers now refers to the number of successes needed to succeed at extended actions, and at least one dev has admitted that the rules for Mummy weren't that good. Unless you know something I don't I wouldn't count on shifting target numbers to remain.

Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

Comment

It was a fine mechanic but there are likely better ways to depict fate jiggering mechanically.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

I think even the team on Mummy had mixed feelings about it, but the author of it wanted to convey how mummies are so powerful and cosmic that they could, well, lower target numbers

Comment

Shifting target numbers is the main reason my group never even tried to play Mummy so I'd be very happy if they get rid of that.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

Comment

It was more of an issue in WoD because WoD naturally had shifting target numbers as a base unlike Chronicles. My biggest issue with the mechanic is that it's incredibly boring.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

Huh. People had a problem with Target Numbers changing? That surprises me. It wasn't like World of Darkness, where it was a core part of the mechanics. It was an "only if you had a magic ability" sort of deal. The issue with the World of Darkness variant was that it meant there were two different metrics of task difficulty on basic rolls, which was redundant.

And Tier 1 of Blessed is the God King was a favourite at my table. As a way of showing Fate in action, looking at a dice roll and being able to say, "Well, no successes, but I trigger my ability to retroactively succeed on 6s and now I have four" always felt fantastic to my players. Always accompanied by some narrative description of Fate swinging into action.

But whatever. It's a mechanic. I always felt Mummy had the best mechanics of any Chronicles of Darkness game I ever played, better than the hot mess that was Demon and a lot less finicky than Changeling for example. I hope that it stays that way going into second edition. But this specific mechanic isn't a hill I'm going to die on. It always felt like it did its job of representing Fate well, but so long as they can find a new way of representing that I have no particular problem.

Comment

I liked tge mechanic as well.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Azahul View Post
                        But this specific mechanic isn't a hill I'm going to die on. It always felt like it did its job of representing Fate well, but so long as they can find a new way of representing that I have no particular problem.
                        This is how I feel as well. Honestly, though, the CofD rules aren't some of my favorite game mechanics. I think the mechanics and powers are just right for the type of stories they tell, so that's good, but my own personal enjoyments exist at the ends of the spectrum: most games I run are lighter on the crunch, but then I like GURPS as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X