2e Signature Settings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2e Signature Settings

Speculation time! What locations are you hoping/thinking will be featured in Mummy: the Curse Second Edition (I will never tire of typing that)?

I'd like to see Kabul and Novosibirsk fleshed out, as both of them were mentioned in 1e (Kabul directly, Novosibirsk as the closest city to the fictional town of Prokneft), and both seemed to instresting settings. Plus, we have had very little in the way of development for Afghanistan and Russia in CofD. The Salem plot hook could also be interesting to develop, but I'd prefer something more central United States or even better, something Canadian. Especially with Mummy, similar to Hunter, I feel like a diverse and international character to the Signature Settings will be important.

CofD booklists:
    Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Toronto might make a good setting, especially since there's explicitly a Mesen-Nebu Guildmaster and signature character of that Guild living there.

EDIT: I would also suggest taking a peek at Winnipeg, since the city got hit hard by Egyptomania and the Spiritualism craze at the beginning of the 20th Century. Also the Manitoba Legislative Building is probably one of the most Neithian Architecture-style buildings I can image. There are sphinxes on the roof inscribed with invocations to Re. There's a chamber designed to imitate the orbit of Polaris that is symbolically linked to the thirty-foot tall Golden Boy statue sitting atop the building representing the god Hermes. Of course, I'm biased. I live in Winnipeg, and the city has a very strong arts scene, especially literature and music, a very strong occult/neo-pagan scene. The entire place breathes of Gothic fiction tropes, is small enough that Small TownTM tropes are suitable, but is big enough that the impersonality of the cityscape is still an option.
    Last edited by Arcanist; 08-21-2017, 01:32 AM.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Australia apparently had some odd effects on arisen's connection to the judges so Perth or Darwin could be potential settings.

Comment

The off-handed mention about Mummies fearing (or only going to under dire circumstances) Australia would be something cool to elaborate on. I've wanted to run a rural Australia Mummy game for a while now.

I'm also kind of interested in how Arisen feel about the world's oldest continuous culture. I'm genuinely unsure how they'd react. Would they not care ("No cities or legions? And you call that civilisation?"), be impressed or awed ("60,000 years? Your culture was old when the Shan'iatu were born!"), or even be jealous or outraged ("Irem fell, but this survived?")? There's some interesting ideas to explore there, I think.

Edit: Ninja'd by a matter of seconds, seriously?!

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
          Toronto might make a good setting, especially since there's explicitly a Mesen-Nebu Guildmaster and signature character of that Guild living there.

EDIT: I would also suggest taking a peek at Winnipeg, since the city got hit hard by Egyptomania and the Spiritualism craze at the beginning of the 20th Century. Also the Manitoba Legislative Building is probably one of the most Neithian Architecture-style buildings I can image. There are sphinxes on the roof inscribed with invocations to Re. There's a chamber designed to imitate the orbit of Polaris that is symbolically linked to the thirty-foot tall Golden Boy statue sitting atop the building representing the god Hermes. Of course, I'm biased. I live in Winnipeg, and the city has a very strong arts scene, especially literature and music, a very strong occult/neo-pagan scene. The entire place breathes of Gothic fiction tropes, is small enough that Small TownTM tropes are suitable, but is big enough that the impersonality of the cityscape is still an option.
          As much as I love to make fun of how abysmally cold Winnipeg is, I would love to see it get the Signature Setting treatment over Toronto. Manitoba gets next to no attention nationally (well, at least here in Alberta) or internationally, and that's a damn shame.

CofD booklists:

Comment

Originally posted by Azahul View Post
            The off-handed mention about Mummies fearing (or only going to under dire circumstances) Australia would be something cool to elaborate on. I've wanted to run a rural Australia Mummy game for a while now.

I'm also kind of interested in how Arisen feel about the world's oldest continuous culture. I'm genuinely unsure how they'd react. Would they not care ("No cities or legions? And you call that civilisation?"), be impressed or awed ("60,000 years? Your culture was old when the Shan'iatu were born!"), or even be jealous or outraged ("Irem fell, but this survived?")? There's some interesting ideas to explore there, I think.

Edit: Ninja'd by a matter of seconds, seriously?!
            Australia would be unimaginably cool to see the Arisen interact with. There's an ancient, continuous civilization like China, and then there's Australia. Australia is old beyond reckoning, older than the Shan'iatu, older than Azar, even, if you read Dreams of Avarice in the right way. And I'm with you on being completely unsure of how the Arisen would react to that alien ancientness. Like, there's written records talking about how awed Alexander the Great's armies were by the sheer age of places like Damascus and Babylon, there's that attitude of indomitability and permanence that seems to just arise organically in sufficient old cities, and then there's the scale of time way beyond the human ability to comprehend. That's cosmic horror without any need for tentacles, just the sheer yawning gap of time, and the history of a culture reaching across it.

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
            As much as I love to make fun of how abysmally cold Winnipeg is, I would love to see it get the Signature Setting treatment over Toronto. Manitoba gets next to no attention nationally (well, at least here in Alberta) or internationally, and that's a damn shame.
            The cold is part of the reason it makes such a great horror setting! The environment itself is harsh and bleak, and the winters provoke a kind of sardonic endurance in long-time Winnipegers. It's strange, you live here and you just hear about how people can't wait to get away, what a dump the city is, how it's crumbling to pieces, how you can't walk through Downtown without being accosted by drunks or the homeless, and then every so often you get a glimpse from the outside. A Vanity Fair piece praising the city for its beauty, ranking high up on National Geographic's list of vacation spots.

And then you start looking more closely, and you see the beautiful things behind the decay and the hollowed out buildings, the faded suburbs. The oases of life, the people that make it worth living here. The vibrancy that draws people to the city like it's a beating heart. And if you're looking for a diverse and international character? Say hello to Folklorama, the world's largest and longest running cultural festival.
            Last edited by Arcanist; 08-21-2017, 01:52 AM.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

I'm gonna go for the low hanging fruit of Cairo, or a ''huge arisen-saturated Nome'' would be like. Its somewhat hard to imagine what it'd be like to see a Nome that was established in the First Turn and still stands. A Nome with a huge access to Iremite ruins and vessels, enough to keep guildmasters active. Maybe so many arisen that, for once, they truly dominate the supernatural culture of the city, and closely resemble dc and rio, except nowhere near as new, and with a long history with the deathless.

I'd love it if Tokyo continued its place as a crossover city, but who knows if that is a possibility any more.

I agree, Australia would be a great option. If ancient djed are beneath Rio, imagine what Australia hides.

Finally, I wouldn't mind a setting with an incredibly rich cult setting, but only one Mummy, who is usually asleep. It'd be a good way to get players more excited about playing cultists, or a rotating pyramid. Plus, the eventual rising of the Mummy is a built in story hook.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
                Australia would be unimaginably cool to see the Arisen interact with. There's an ancient, continuous civilization like China, and then there's Australia. Australia is old beyond reckoning, older than the Shan'iatu, older than Azar, even, if you read Dreams of Avarice in the right way. And I'm with you on being completely unsure of how the Arisen would react to that alien ancientness. Like, there's written records talking about how awed Alexander the Great's armies were by the sheer age of places like Damascus and Babylon, there's that attitude of indomitability and permanence that seems to just arise organically in sufficient old cities, and then there's the scale of time way beyond the human ability to comprehend. That's cosmic horror without any need for tentacles, just the sheer yawning gap of time, and the history of a culture reaching across it.
                You put it better than I did I think the setting should be away from the cities for exactly that reason. The red centre, or the outback, would be ideal I think.

And isn't Uluru the resting place of one of the Furies according to Voice of an Angel? That's Demon more than Mummy, to be sure, and I'm not entirely sure I'm comfortable with using it in a game, but Voice of an Angel does have some intriguingly weird overlaps with Mummy (an ancient, prehistoric city, animal-headed "demons", South American magic, arcane matrices built into cities like Washington D.C.) and I think there's potential there.
                Originally posted by Cleverest of Things View Post
                I'm gonna go for the low hanging fruit of Cairo, or a ''huge arisen-saturated Nome'' would be like. Its somewhat hard to imagine what it'd be like to see a Nome that was established in the First Turn and still stands. A Nome with a huge access to Iremite ruins and vessels, enough to keep guildmasters active. Maybe so many arisen that, for once, they truly dominate the supernatural culture of the city, and closely resemble dc and rio, except nowhere near as new, and with a long history with the deathless.
                Doesn't Cairo have a problem with the Sphinx sucking Sekhem? I could see Alexandria or something be the super Nome instead, with Cairo overrun by the Shuankhsen.
                Last edited by Azahul; 08-21-2017, 02:19 AM. Reason: Forgot to add the word "not" to a sentence and said the opposite of what I meant to say.

Comment

That actually sounds more like Luxor than Cairo to me. While Cairo has access to the Great Pyramid and is close to historical Memphis, it was "only" built in 969 CE by the Fatimid Caliphate. It would be a very interesting city, but I would think it would be less concentrated in sheer power, instead it would have been purpose built by the Arisen to their specifications. It is a comparatively modern city, whereas Mummies would have been intrenched in Rome and Byzantium for centuries upon centuries before Cairo even had its first brick laid.

Now look at Luxor. Luxor is ancient Thebes. It is located by the Valley of the Kings. Multiple necropolises lie within the city and it is practically an open air museum to ancient Egypt. This is the heart of the Arisen's power in modern Egypt.

Finally, I wouldn't mind a setting with an incredibly rich cult setting, but only one Mummy, who is usually asleep. It'd be a good way to get players more excited about playing cultists, or a rotating pyramid. Plus, the eventual rising of the Mummy is a built in story hook.
                  This idea is awesome! I hope who ever the lead dev is steals it.

CofD booklists:

Comment

Speaking in broad strokes, I'd want to see somewhere within the span of the Nameless Empire (to show what an old nome with old scars and secrets is like), somewhere very old and continuously inhabited in Europe (to play with history an enable flashbacks), somewhere on the cutting-edge of tech (so the Arisen can either be amazed or learn to play with the new of this Turn), and somewhere unexpected and culturally foreign.

In my head, that's... Cairo; London, Rome, or Istanbul; Silicon Valley or Seoul; and Hong Kong or Mexico City. That's a spread I'd be overjoyed to see. Possibly toss in Memphis, TN for a laugh.

EDIT: Further reasoning for Cairo beyond just "it's Egypt!" is that it's the heart of a country with a revolution just a few years in the past. For the Arisen, both shackled to and protected by hierarchy as they are, that's terrifying - or exciting. Showing a post-Arab Spring face to the oldest civil servants still up and running has a lot of potential.
                    Last edited by atamajakki; 08-21-2017, 02:19 AM.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Azahul View Post
                      You put it better than I did I think the setting should be away from the cities for exactly that reason. The red centre, or the outback, would be ideal I think.

And isn't Uluru the resting place of one of the Furies according to Voice of an Angel? That's Demon more than Mummy, to be sure, and I'm entirely sure I'm comfortable with using it in a game, but Voice of an Angel does have some intriguingly weird overlaps with Mummy (an ancient, prehistoric city, animal-headed "demons", South American magic, arcane matrices built into cities like Washington D.C.) and I think there's potential there.

Doesn't Cairo have a problem with the Sphinx sucking Sekhem? I could see Alexandria or something be the super Nome instead, with Cairo overrun by the Shuankhsen.
                      I think it does, and there is some interesting overlap, but personally I prefer the interpretation of Marco Singe being a prophet of the God-Machine who started a cult that ran completely off the rails and has persisted far past the point that the God-Machine would have desired. Voice of an Angel is definitely still a beautiful piece, and can be mined deeply for cool ideas.

The Sphinx does suck Sekhem, and it also has the nifty ability to make the Mummy who learns of its true nature completely forgetting about it upon their next Descent. Both of these things have perfectly reasonable explanations, as the Heretic says in Dreams of Avarice that Heru of the Horizon was once Sutek of the Horizon... and the residence/great temple/memorial to the murder of Azar/sorcerous laboratory of the Shan'iatu. Who knows what they got up to in there, but whatever it is cannot be good. The Prince of the Shuankhsen whose name escapes me at the moment is also said to be living, hidden, in a labyrinthian tomb, guarded by bull-headed Amkhata. And why not have that tomb be in Saqqara, dangerously nearby Cairo? (And also very, very close to the former site of Irem itself. Which means that old experiments of the Shan'iatu could be buried down there.)

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                      Speaking in broad strokes, I'd want to see somewhere within the span of the Nameless Empire (to show what an old nome with old scars and secrets is like), somewhere very old and continuously inhabited in Europe (to play with history an enable flashbacks), somewhere on the cutting-edge of tech (so the Arisen can either be amazed or learn to play with the new of this Turn), and somewhere unexpected and culturally foreign.

In my head, that's... Cairo; London, Rome, or Istanbul; Silicon Valley or Seoul; and Hong Kong or Mexico City. That's a spread I'd be overjoyed to see. Possibly toss in Memphis, TN for a laugh.
                      Those are all really, really cool suggestions. Somewhere on the cutting-edge of tech would also give an excuse to show off some modern Relics. Personally, if we're picking the culturally foreign one I'd go with Mexico City. It gets a couple of mentions in Cursed Necropolis, Rio, and giving suggestions like Rio did as to what the Deathless were doing in Mexico City's past would be very cool. The Aztec Empire would be strangely familiar to the Deathless. It's a blood sacrifice-happy monarchy/theocracy that controlled its neighbours and client states with warfare and lots more sacrifices, but with very, very different intentions than the Shan'iatu had, and for very different gods.
                      Last edited by Arcanist; 08-21-2017, 02:20 AM.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Tokyo, Rome, Mexico City, Luxor, Australia somewhere.. that sounds like an amazing spread. Though, because mummies might globetrot to different places, I wouldn't be shocked if each mummy and cult is presented as settings, the way Guildhall explained the alchemist and her cult in detail.

Comment

If you wanna get really radical with it, only pick cities with enough history to show up across multiple Descents, and kick the USA out entirely.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                            If you wanna get really radical with it, only pick cities with enough history to show up across multiple Descents, and kick the USA out entirely.
                            Do you mean multiple Sothic Turns? Multiple Descents is actually pretty easy since they can be spaced by a couple of years.

CofD booklists:

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                              Do you mean multiple Sothic Turns? Multiple Descents is actually pretty easy since they can be spaced by a couple of years.
                              Not Turns, but enough time that generations of mortals can pass, so that the whole immortality aspect can be explored wih some depth.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Working...
                              X