How mummies rule the world?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    First, thanks NoFather, it was exactly what I meant. I came here to learn a bit about a MtC to maybe change my mind, on looking over it - and try to understand stuff from Dark Eras in context.

So to regeneration - So no proper 'body chopping' of mummy - as it rises up to defend itself - and so 'taken as saints bones' theory looks shady on this.

So Arisen can woke up more permanently outside of Sothic Turns? Like vampire Elders? 'I just go to Torpor for the next 50 years', not 2000 years hard limit?
    During Sothic Turns, mummies are free to do whatever they wish, more or less. Once they hit Sekhem 1, they can persist until someone kills them. They could travel pretty far if they're being cautious and keeping a low profile. On top of that, if they've got a loyal and obedient cult, they could have their people raise them periodically to tend to the tasks that the mummy wants done. If they've got the Interstitial Lives Merit (which I hope will be present in the new core), they periodically wake up anyway.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
    Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Book of Lasting Death, DtR The Clades Companion, Pirates of Pugmire, They Came From Beyond the Grave!, TC Aeon: Mission Statements, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
    Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

If Arisen are locked in their Tomb, stick to the Jars, how the hell they would travel beside Sothic Turns? When you try to split mummy from it's Tomb, it goes kind a 'Death Rage', does it not?
      Huh? How do you think they were able to write a game if your protagonists can't leave their bedroom?

If we go with route like ex-Nameless Empire -> Ancient Rome -> British Islands -> Scandinavia, it would take it more time that it has with Sothic Turns.

Nameless Empire -> 5000 BCE
      Egypt? -> 3000 BCE
      Future Ancient Rome terrains -> 1000 BCE
      British Islands -> 1000 CE
      Scandinavia -> No 'saints bones stealing' ( mummy wakes up and kill anyone touching her body ) and no Sothic Turn to get up on it's own.
      What gives you the idea that it takes a thousand years to travel a few hundred miles?

I understand you haven't read the book, and that will indeed clarify a lot of misconceptions for you. However, I understand you might not want to read it if it's not a game you'd be interested in. So if you're doubting a mummy's ability to...be active and do things and travel...let me assure you, you can.

Comment

If Arisen are locked in their Tomb, stick to the Jars, how the hell they would travel beside Sothic Turns? When you try to split mummy from it's Tomb, it goes kind a 'Death Rage', does it not?

If we go with route like ex-Nameless Empire -> Ancient Rome -> British Islands -> Scandinavia, it would take it more time that it has with Sothic Turns.

Scandinavia -> No 'saints bones stealing' ( mummy wakes up and kill anyone touching her body ) and no Sothic Turn to get up on it's own.
        Not necessarily. Not only can you transport the body of an Arisen without awakening them (normally with care, but the sarcophagus may easily be a factor) but circumstances and reduce and destroy the sahu-body, meaning the Arisen regenerates from an incomplete corpse. The canopic jars are another option for regenate around.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
          Not only can you transport the body of an Arisen without awakening them (normally with care, but the sarcophagus may easily be a factor) but circumstances and reduce and destroy the sahu-body, meaning the Arisen regenerates from an incomplete corpse. The canopic jars are another option for regenate around.
          So the Arisen are Goa'uld of CoD universe?! Unless you have body in Sarcophagus, it can regenerate fully? And it's Cults can transport the being not waking it up?

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
          LGBT+ through Ages
          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I haven't seen StarGate, but I do want to clarify that Tombs aren't permanently bound to the Mummy. They're a large investment, but a Mummy can simply leave one and have a new one built somewhere else.

~

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

Like we keep telling you, a mummy can be active outside of a Sothic Turn.

A mummy who's roused by the disturbance of her tomb doesn't have to just kill the interlopers and fall dead again. Cultists can rouse the mummy as regularly as they wish.

Also keep in mind, like every other supernatural splat in the Chronicles of Darkness, mummies have, y'know, magic powers. Some of the magic powers can make them travel quickly or fly and bring followers with them. This is the least you can expect out of a splat that can also summon meteor impacts fresh out of chargen.

Comment

One of those other powers a Mummy can have at character creation is basically a teleport power that can take you anywhere Fate wants to take you to. Into space is explicitly mentioned as an example, as are other continents.

My Mummy campaign involved a whole minor sojourn to another planet and a brief encounter with alien ghosts, because that's both very possible with the powers as written and tonally consistent with Mummy as a setting.

As others have mentioned though, there are many, many ways Mummies can travel. Mummies beat Europeans to South America. They can certainly get to Scandinavia. Quite beside their bodies simply being transported, which can be done by their cultists pretty simply (and happens frequently), they can always walk under their own power. Mummies can spend a lot of their time active. With the game's rules as written it's not too hard for a character to have spent more of their 6,000 year history awake than asleep, though their Memory would be utterly shot as a consequence.

And Sothic Turns allow a Mummy to stay awake forever. In Sothis Ascends there are Mummies who have remained conscious for entire Sothic Turns. A Sothic Cycle awakening doesn't end until the Mummy is killed, and since they don't age and don't suffer disease that requires someone to physically kill them, or for them to transgress against their Judge in some manner. And even a Sekhem 1 Mummy is tough, inflicts supernatural terror that typically incapacitates mortal opponents on its own, and has access to Tier 1 Utterances and all its Affinities. A Mummy can easily spend several humans' lifetimes awake and wandering during a Sothic Turn.

Comment

Wyrd, do you have any friends that have access to Cursed Necropolis Rio? I think you'd benefit having a solid example setting, especially one so diverse. The Rio setting includes mummies who got there between the second and third sonic turn across the ocean into unknown territory.

Also, while you can't cut up a mummy very easily, tomb raiders can get lucky and steal a sleeping mummy. It's called out that SOME mummies (likely deep sleepers whose bodies haven't been examined too thoroughly) have woken up in museums on a different continent than the one they fell asleep upon.

In my DC comics based group, there was a plotline about the Northern battlelines at the edge of the empire at the Caucasus mountains. While I did play fast and loose with genetic timing, i had said that blue eyed people were new, but present, and while veeeery rare, at least one or two "great white mummies" were made. One, a certain Vandal Savage, was specifically taken to Scandanavia on a grand expedition to be burried in the North "in his homeland". His first cult were the descendantd few that survived the trek North. And that was before turn 1. While that isn't as realistic as a non-comic book setting might require, I found it at least plausible. And that was before Rio and the Aztec dark era were written and showed just how far and wide mummies can get.

I will point out that one of the coolest fictions of a cofd/woe book I've ever read was a mummy who decided Greenland was the place to be. While I believe they eventually revealed he only went there relatively recently, there was nothing preventing a mummy to have done the same earlier. Indeed, aren't there hints in one of the books about a tiny number of mummies entombed in Antarctica protecting some super dangerous relic (maybe that's where the super seba of Ra is destined to manifest).

Point is, it's not only possible for mummies to get to Scandanavia by the renaissance, there are probably mummies there that predate the Vikings. All you need is a good plotline reason.

Comment

Just thought of a fun alternate path to Scandinavia, albeit an implausible one: making your way to Constantinople across the ages and fostering a cult among the Varangians who take you back to their homeland.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

Just thought of a fun alternate path to Scandinavia, albeit an implausible one: making your way to Constantinople across the ages and fostering a cult among the Varangians who take you back to their homeland.
                      I don't think that's implausible at all. It seems like one of the logical routes to get there.

Patreon | He/His Pronouns | Currently writing: Tome of the Pentacle (OPP), The Hedge (OPP)

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (WIP) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf

Comment

So two separate things I'd like to address. First, I wanted to say I sympathize with wyrdhamster's misgivings. As a rule I love Ancient Egypt, and I love many incarnations of W/COD Mummy. This setting is frustrating for being so much superior in many aspects to Resurrection (Irem and the Guilds just completely blow away any previous write up for Mummy "society") and yet so inaccessible in other aspects. I do wish something had carried over about non-egyptian mummies- even if it was just a wider variety of "Lifeless" entities for mummies to encounter, battle, and generally deal with (I know, that debate has been done to death, but who cares, we're all pretty cool with things coming back from the dead anyway). More to the point- the game is frustrating and constraining BY DESIGN. The Deathless are slaves, the rules very deliberately keep them on a short leash and with a poor recall of who they are and what they've done in the past. Yes, every COD game has some aspects that limit or endanger a character (vampires can't walk in daylight and are socially constrained by their elders, Werewolves can be killed with silver and must protect their territory and navigate the politics of spirits and rival packs, Changelings have their Courts to worry about and the terror that their abductors will come for them again, etc) but Mummies in particular have lot constraining their agency. And their particular brand of constraint makes it really hard to sell to players, and for players to make their characters. "Okay, I can't be someone from a modern age I can easily dream up, and I can't have a good memory of the shit I've been doing for the last few thousand years, and once I'm done making my character concept I'll also have to imagine a mini-society who wakes him up." That's especially frustrating if your like me and love history. It takes away some of the best appeal of having this immortal being who could have literally done anything or gone anywhere in any of your favorite eras of history...but you don't remember!

I realize a lot of this stuff is themed and I love the game. But I often love it in spite of some of this, not because of it. So again, I fully see why people would not be into this game for similar reasons, and I also fully sympathize with the weird frustration of wishing the game was just a little bit different- little more open, little more multi-cultural. As a work around I've been considering expanding the concept of the Sadikh from a mummy's version of vampire ghoul into a method for creating more of their own kind by instilling a piece of their soul into a willing vessel (Pharaohs sometimes claimed authority as god-king with the explanation that said god had sent his Ka or Ba into the Pharaoh, imbuing them with divine wisdom....same concept, basically). Anyway...

That being said, here's seven ways I thought of to get from Egypt to Scandinavia.

1. Forgotten colony of Irem. Here me out here. Canonically, the Nameless Empire extended to basically all major Western civilizations during the Bronze Age minus Mesopotamia. That includes the Greeks, the Minoans, and the Phoenicians. If we assume that one to all of these vassal states was as avid a sea faring society as their latter age counterparts, only with the added benefit of Sekhem infused sailing ships and god-blessed trade winds, we can justify an Iremite colony anywhere on Earth. Even without that the Phoenicians managed to circumnavigate Africa for the Pharaohs and their Punic descendants were the only sailors to touch the coast of West Africa we know of until Portugal sent out explorers a millennium and a half later. Also, some think they traded semi-regularly with the British Isles, which isn't too far from Scandinavia.

2. Mummy the Curse takes some inspiration from Lovecraft. It isn't hard to imagine an ancient, unknowable race of unknowable things hidden beneath the ice and the Earth far, far to the North that is an offense to the Judges.

3. Questionable as this article may be, it could justify Mummies in Scandinavia. https://www.haaretz.com/jewish/archaeology/1.707620 As a bonus, if you are familiar with COD history you'll know that the era of King Tut is when two mighty Cults of Egypt fought the Heretic King Akhenaten and were nearly wiped out. Agents of the blasphemous king (which are also rumored to have attempted the ultimate sacrilege of pulling Irem up from the underworld and restoring it and all its horrors to the lands of the living) might have fled Egypt for safer lands. With magic and divination, maybe they fled to the top of the world. Perhaps they were pursued. Perhaps their remnants seek to complete the rituals foiled in Akhenaten's time.

4. Canonically a certain cursed artifact called the blasphemous depiction was supposedly spirited out of Egypt and into Northern Europe. Some speculate that the Bog Bodies were inspired by its magic. This unholy icon must be found and destroyed.

5. As an alternative, and going with my multicultural lifeless idea, it comes to light that there are Sekhem infused corpse walkers arising in the North. These entities appear to be drawing from some tainted, unknown source of Sekhem, apparently a ritual that ignorantly parodies the source of Irem's magics just successfully enough to craft strange abominations on those the ritual is worked upon.

6. Vikings weren't exactly unknown for exploring themselves. They made it as far as Constantinople. It isn't hard to imagine some raiders turning South and taking a ride down that curious looking river. Viking were also known for pillaging all manner of treasure from those they contacted. Mummies depend on magical artifacts to resurrect. If a raid or two was extremely successful, the Vikings could find several extremely peeved former owners seeking a return of property. Mummies, you see, are known for being stubborn and persistent in reacquiring what is taken from them and giving vengeance to the thieves.

7. Mortals cults are extremely important to Mummies. Sometimes new blood and recruiting demand adjustment. "Okay, so...two brothers, one a trickster and the other in good standing with the gods, are adversaries and constantly at war. Eh. Sure. I knew them as Azar and Sutekh, but you can call them Thor and Loki if you really want to."

Comment

Mostly agree.

Originally posted by nothri View Post
                          "Okay, I can't be someone from a modern age I can easily dream up,
                          Does being a recent Twice Risen with memory bleed count?

and I can't have a good memory of the shit I've been doing for the last few thousand years,
                          Start with a higher Memory Score?

and once I'm done making my character concept I'll also have to imagine a mini-society who wakes him up."
                          Or their Cult is scattered (or destroyed) and something else wakes them up?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

As someone who is also really interested in history, the idea of being able to actually play through historical events through flashbacks is a heck of a lot more interesting to me than just having those periods exist in my character's background pre-game.

Comment

Originally posted by Azahul View Post
                              As someone who is also really interested in history, the idea of being able to actually play through historical events through flashbacks is a heck of a lot more interesting to me than just having those periods exist in my character's background pre-game.
                              Historical flashbacks are why Mummy is my favorite gameline.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

Historical flashbacks are why Mummy is my favorite gameline.
                                Same. Mummy is the only game line that can not only use every single era in each Dark Eras book basically by default, but can actually comfortably integrate a newly released Dark Era book mid-campaign.

For what it's worth nothri my players did take a little bit to wrap their heads around how to make compelling Mummy characters. The Decree system ended up being the perfect guiding light. Don't make a history for your character, pour all your energy into building a strong personality. Clear likes, dislikes, interactions, preferences, but accept that you have no context or reason for those personality traits. Then you get to find out why you are as you are through the course of play. I've never had my players slip so quickly and easily into the headspace of their player characters before. By the time they'd finished character creation they'd poured all their energy into knowing who they were playing, and they were able to step straight into being those characters.

Comment

Working...
                                X