Pyramids

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pyramids

So I just saw this, which is exciting! https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...&sf136377441=1

Got me thinking. Were the Iremites pyamid builders? Pyramids were generally thought to represent the sun and the Iremites were all about the underworld not the daylight. But Pyramids also represented the mound upon which the world formed when the waters of Nut ebbed. So...any thoughts?

If your mummy-based roleplaying game can't account for a hidden chamber being discovered in the pyramids, someone needs to get fired.

2E Legacy Updates
    Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
    Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
    Storm Keepers

Comment

Originally posted by nothri View Post
      Got me thinking. Were the Iremites pyamid builders? Pyramids were generally thought to represent the sun and the Iremites were all about the underworld not the daylight. But Pyramids also represented the mound upon which the world formed when the waters of Nut ebbed. So...any thoughts?
      You're spot on. Sothis Ascends says that...

2680 BCE: Imhotep, famed high priest of Re at Iunu, revives the Iremite tradition of building in stone rather than mud brick and designs the first pyramid for then king Netjerikhet, replacing the chthonic symbolism of traditional tombs with the solar symbols of Re’s priesthood.

Comment

Which is what Pyramids are, in the real world - an evolution of the mastaba tomb to make it reach into the sky.

That they were almost all built in the long period where the Arisen weren't around was just a strange, happy coincidence. I signed on to Mummy's corebook after things like the number of Sothic turns had already been designed, but applying that map to real Egyptology is how you get Sothis Ascends pointing out all the many, many aspects of Egyptian life that must have fuck-all to do with Irem.

Dave Brookshaw, Mage and Deviant Developer, writer of many things

Comment

If that's the case it may be a Pangaean connection. Dark Eras mentions the twin Firstborn Opalescent and Incandescent who 'command entire clans of Uratha and humans to raise up Pangaean temples to both Warden Moon and Glorious Sun.' Though obviously that's leaning more towards the Sun and Moon worship than tombery.
          Last edited by nofather; 11-04-2017, 01:36 AM.

Comment

The Sundering was thousands of years beforehand, and the Pangaeans were long gone. It's like blaming the Camarilla for the Industrial revolution.

Comment

Yes, I wasn't saying these guys told Egyptians to build the pyramids.

But similar to how the Egyptians evolved pyramids from the mastaba tombs over two thousand years, these could have been a precursor another two thousand years before that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post
                ...applying that map to real Egyptology is how you get Sothis Ascends pointing out all the many, many aspects of Egyptian life that must have fuck-all to do with Irem.
                Which helps reinforce the culture shock and alienation themes of the game even at the earliest Sothic turn.

Comment

I feel like you guys are answering the question and I'm not quite getting it. Do you all believe there were such things as Iremite era Pyramids, ones that had an entirely different symbolism unrelated to the Sun or the sky above...or do you believe the Egyptian Pyramids were an invention solely of the Egyptians that came after the Nameless Empire?

Comment

Do you all believe there were such things as Iremite era Pyramids, ones that had an entirely different symbolism unrelated to the Sun or the sky above...
                    No.

or do you believe the Egyptian Pyramids were an invention solely of the Egyptians that came after the Nameless Empire?
                    Yes, this.

Comment

I feel like you guys are answering the question and I'm not quite getting it. Do you all believe there were such things as Iremite era Pyramids, ones that had an entirely different symbolism unrelated to the Sun or the sky above...or do you believe the Egyptian Pyramids were an invention solely of the Egyptians that came after the Nameless Empire?
                      The great pyramids weren't the first burial monuments constructed by ancient Egyptians. They're the most well-known and some of the most grand, but earlier Egyptian societies built mastabas. No doubt Iremites had their own constructed wonders, but they would differ from Egyptians' as much as earlier mastabas differ from the pyramids of Giza.

If your mummy PCs are digging up Iremite-era ruins, though, I'd probably lean towards awe-inspiring ritual arenas or even royal palaces rather than burial chambers. I don't think the Shan'iatu were worried about being entombed upon death. Deathless mummies may have been, but nothing in Sothis Ascends really implies they were extravagant buildings, and in fact, since they're workers and not kings, they were more likely just stuffed in a closet.

Comment

The books imply that Pyramids are a product of the Egyptians, but that they incorporate modified versions of the magic that Iremite architecture created.

Comment

I feel like, Pyramids or no, Iremite tombs would naturally be extremely elaborate and hard to penetrate. Mostly for the practical reason that the inhabitants apparently had a habit of waking back up and trying to eat people, if what they say about the Ka is correct.

Comment

Hahaha, I really like the idea that pre-Rite of Return tombs in ancient Irem were constructed to prevent the bodies inside from getting out way more than they were to stop grave robbers from getting in.

Comment

Originally posted by Azahul View Post
                              Hahaha, I really like the idea that pre-Rite of Return tombs in ancient Irem were constructed to prevent the bodies inside from getting out way more than they were to stop grave robbers from getting in.
                              I would play a Mummy one-shot based on escaping from my own prison-tomb. Curse has lots of untapped potential for Indiana Jones dungeon crawl action.

2E Legacy Updates
                              Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
                              Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
                              Storm Keepers

Comment

Working...
                              X