Tips about running mummy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips about running mummy

Hey guys i want to run Mummy The Cursed and just for the sake of challenging myself, i wanted to set the game in my hometown ((population 25 k)). I did wonder how one could run a mummy game in such an environment..ignoring pyramid play.

Originally posted by Caedus View Post
    Hey guys i want to run Mummy The Cursed and just for the sake of challenging myself, i wanted to set the game in my hometown ((population 25 k)). I did wonder how one could run a mummy game in such an environment..ignoring pyramid play.

General region?

Well, having a Meret there is going to cause a scene. Arisen make waves (Sybaris, etc.), which is going to spread word quickly through the town. If this is a one-shot or short Chronicle, that won't matter, much. But if you are planning a longer game around it, the whole town is going to know, and have the status quo upset pretty quickly.

Pertinent Questions:
    Why would a Meret go there? Are they pursuing a mission from their Judges? After a Relic? Guild Business? Or is this their personal project?

Did they all end their last Descent there? Is the town run by their Cults, or are they awakening in a strange place with little support?

How are they awakened? Mass Cult ritual to call them all back? Mass grave robbery? Or stranger circumstances?

What is the opposition? Rival Arisen? Deceived? Shuankhsen? Last Dynasty International (or one of their Subsidiaries)? The Faithful of Shulpae? Sorcerers and Occultists? Stranger things? Or just plain circumstances?

Is this going to be a tight, focused plot? Investigation with multiple, optional branches? Free-form sandbox?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

I've been planning a Mummy chronicle set in a small town myself for some time, with the plan being to have the entire population of the town serving as the players' cult. That solves the above issue Vent0 mentions of the massive Sybaris afflicting the local population, though there are other ways to deal with it. You could instead take the angle that the people of the town know their town is cursed, but try to avoid acknowledging that fact. I think Derry from the Thing would be a pretty good model, if you go that route.

Unless there is an enormous concentration of Arisen in the town (even just a player Meret is a large number, so if you're going to have NPC Arisen as well then it's going to get pretty insane), you probably won't have much in the way of Guild politics to worry about. Although that's not to say you couldn't. One of the locations in the Avarice Chronicle is a small town in Sicily with an immense concentration of Deceived and their cultists. You could go down the same route, just so long as you establish a reason for such an ungodly number of immortals to be clustered there. The most obvious reason would be Relics, either one or many.

If you are going to keep things to just the player Meret, you have to think about the kinds of enemies you expect your players to encounter. I'd suggest thinking of it in terms of threats from within, and threats from without. Shuankhsen, Deceived, LDI, and the others Vent0 mention all work well as external threats, characters coming in from the outside with plans to upset the town. Internal threats could focus on the daily lives of your players' cultists, and the competing influences that could tear their lives apart. This could be as dramatic as a cultist going rogue, stealing relics, and using them to build a small army of Greater Amkhata to threaten the Meret, to as mundane as dealing with a family torn between a desire to send the kids away to university and their duty to keep their children close to become the next generation of keepers and cultists. Honestly, a lot of the fun of Mummy is occasionally winding the stakes down from warring demigods and cosmic threats and instead forcing these incredibly powerful characters to deal with the mundane through their cult. Doubly fun when a character is loaded up with Utterances capable of levelling cities, and yet all that power doesn't actually help them resolve the minor domestic issues their cultists want to involve them in.

Finally, I'd take a good, long look at the relics you want in your chronicle. They're the focal point of Arisen existence, so they should be a big deal. In a small geographic area (unless you're planning on including a big area outside of the town) you probably won't have many relics your player characters haven't already claimed, so you should make each and every one count. Make sure you have a reason for each that the players haven't already found them. This could be anything from the relic being newly created, to it being a family heirloom passed down within a family within your cult that the family has resisted handing over to the Meret, to it being located in a generally inaccessible place. And think long and hard about their powers and their curses. Both sides are absolutely ripe for creating stories. I wrote up a bucketload of relics for my last Mummy campaign, and the best ones were the ones that couldn't help but build stories out of their use. If I were to run the game again, I'd have fewer relics but I'd try to make each and every one a story in its own right.

I think there are a lot of cool and worthwhile stories you can tell in a Mummy Chronicle set in a small environment (I can't wait to do it myself, but I've resolved to wait until the second edition), so I'd consider what you want to focus on the most. I'd love to hear how it goes as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

General region?

Well, having a Meret there is going to cause a scene. Arisen make waves (Sybaris, etc.), which is going to spread word quickly through the town. If this is a one-shot or short Chronicle, that won't matter, much. But if you are planning a longer game around it, the whole town is going to know, and have the status quo upset pretty quickly.

Pertinent Questions:
        Why would a Meret go there? Are they pursuing a mission from their Judges? After a Relic? Guild Business? Or is this their personal project?

Did they all end their last Descent there? Is the town run by their Cults, or are they awakening in a strange place with little support?

How are they awakened? Mass Cult ritual to call them all back? Mass grave robbery? Or stranger circumstances?

What is the opposition? Rival Arisen? Deceived? Shuankhsen? Last Dynasty International (or one of their Subsidiaries)? The Faithful of Shulpae? Sorcerers and Occultists? Stranger things? Or just plain circumstances?

Is this going to be a tight, focused plot? Investigation with multiple, optional branches? Free-form sandbox?

Well the Meret no longer would remember why they are there, but unlike most other Mummies the Meret was sent to the area where my hometown is after they were exposed to the rite of return. Their judges want them there because an ancient cthonic entity was bound there and the arisen serve as guardians and if needed a hit squad to take out the entity if it is ever released. So they have been in that area of the far north for thousands of years, before the people there could even work with bronze.

They are awakened by a mass cult ritual as the Last Dynasty have opened up an office in the area, and have been actively working to circumvent the cults influences. So i will begin the game with the last dynasty as their enemy, the second part of the game i want to devote to them more freely explore, deal with a few tomb robbers and such before i end the game with revealing that the main antagonists of the game has been a hidden cross cult conspiracy to try and free the ancient trapped being.

Comment

Originally posted by Caedus View Post

Well the Meret no longer would remember why they are there, but unlike most other Mummies the Meret was sent to the area where my hometown is after they were exposed to the rite of return. Their judges want them there because an ancient cthonic entity was bound there and the arisen serve as guardians and if needed a hit squad to take out the entity if it is ever released. So they have been in that area of the far north for thousands of years, before the people there could even work with bronze.

They are awakened by a mass cult ritual as the Last Dynasty have opened up an office in the area, and have been actively working to circumvent the cults influences. So i will begin the game with the last dynasty as their enemy, the second part of the game i want to devote to them more freely explore, deal with a few tomb robbers and such before i end the game with revealing that the main antagonists of the game has been a hidden cross cult conspiracy to try and free the ancient trapped being.
          Okay, what region of the planet, though? Any chance of traffic in or near the region? What were the Meret doing during the Sothic Turns, when all Mummies awoke?

I'm guessing they have no Cult? If you want to give them a Cult without them having to build it from scratch, maybe they could "inherit" one from another Arisen that was captured and harvested by LDI. (Wait, you said they are awakened by mass cult ritual - Ignore that, then)

Any ideas on what the Prisoner is yet?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Working...
          X