No announcement yet.

1001 Mummy Story Hooks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

129) A local Mesen-Nebu calls a meeting of all those currently awake in the nome. His cult has recently found a Relic of significant power, a sword of impeccable craftsmanship brimming with Sekhem. There's just one problem; it's from China, not Irem.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
      129) A local Mesen-Nebu calls a meeting of all those currently awake in the nome. His cult has recently found a Relic of significant power, a sword of impeccable craftsmanship brimming with Sekhem. There's just one problem; it's from China, not Irem.
      That's a problem? Mortals make relics all the time. The core book lists multiple relics from non-Iremite sources, like one made in 1984 in Texas, another that appears to have been worked on by Aboriginal Australians, and even a five dot relic presumed to date to 1700s Austria. One of these examples (the Liad Sutra) is Chinese in origin, another (the Firewalker's Trumpet) is Nepalese or Tibetan.
      Last edited by Azahul; 01-09-2015, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azahul View Post
        That's a problem? Mortals make relics all the time. The core book lists multiple relics from non-Iremite sources, like one made in 1984 in Texas, another that appears to have been worked on by Aboriginal Australians, and even a five dot relic presumed to date to 1700s Austria. One of these examples (the Liad Sutra) is Chinese in origin, another (the Firewalker's Trumpet) is Nepalese or Tibetan.
        Huh. I distinctly remembered "Relics are from Irem, but mortals can make Vestiges." Whoops!

That said, I'd love to do a chronicle all about subverting the 'Iremite Exceptionalism' that the Arisen operate on, challenging notions of the Nameless Empire being the only civilization of that power in history.

Just call me Lex.

Comment

Well, what really made Irem special seems to be more a thing of scale than skill. It's not that the Chinese couldn't have produced a five dot relic, it's more that they couldn't be churning them out assembly line-style. For most mortals, a relic was the product of a life time, a unique occurrence that they would never again be able to replicate. Many such mortals use some knowledge passed down since Irem to help, but it doesn't seem to be necessary (Nolan's Lamborghini being a prime example of a seemingly spontaneously generated relic). For a mortal in Irem, under the tutelage of the Shan'iatu, a relic was something they could craft reliably and often something they could repeat on demand, or even by following another's recipe. Irem practically had magic down to a science.

So one sword isn't a big deal. A cache of ten thousand relic weapons, however...

Comment

139) The meret encounters an Arisen who claims to be Crocodile-Headed. It's easy to chalk this up to Memory or madness, but there /is/ something strange as hell about him, and he doesn't seem to be lying...

(Maybe he'e a false Arisen from a later attempt at the Rite? Maybe he declared the Akh, the eternal unity of Ba and Ka? Maybe he's a ballsy Shuankhsen?)

Just call me Lex.

Comment

140) In your regular work recovering relics, you bumped into one of those...corpses who call themselves Kindred. This wouldn't normally be of note, but he recognized you. Not just from one of your previous awakenings. He used a name you hadn't heard in a long time. Not since Irem.

Words of Wisdom from the Forums:
              "Don't be unlucky and get dead by a wolf-man."
              "Most of the current eras are too modern, we need 'Dark Eras: The electroweak epoch'."

Comment

Working...
              X