X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demigod Beast
    started a topic Statting Slaughterers

Statting Slaughterers

Assuming a Slaughterer could be conjured up from Duat by some special means, how would one stat them? Mummy references them as demons, but are they Inferno-style demons, or just really nasty natives of Duat?

• reseru
    replied
    I'd probably just use the Horror rules. Those beings can access Numina and Influences as well, IIRC.

Leave a comment:

• Demigod Beast
    replied
    Ah! Ok! Thanks! What Ban and Bane would fit them? I imagine a Ban would be something like “Cannot spare souls in Duat from torment”, with a Bane, maybe, of clay from the Nile River? I can’t imagine Slaughterers being terribly high Rank.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    I still think Dread Powers could work. If you stat them as ephemerals just replace the Numina with an equal number of Dread Powers.
    As for forming weapons from breath and blood:
    Ethereal Weapons (• to •••)
    The creature can spend a point of Willpower to reflexively summon forth a bladed weapon, whether from thin air, or through a medium befitting its nature. The weapon is aerodynamic, and has a weapon modifier and armor-piercing quality equal to the number of dots in this Dread Power. The summoned blade disappears at the end of the scene.

Edit: The reason I suggest Dread Powers is because otherwise you might end up with a type of antagonist that can only differ by their Attribute spread and aesthetic. Dread Powers introduce much more variety, although many might not be fitting for Slaughterers.
    Last edited by Tessie; 05-08-2018, 02:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Demigod Beast
    replied
    Ah! Ok!

So, as to forming weapons from their breath and blood, should I just state their unarmed attacks do Lethal damage, as opposed to Numina, of any sort? I ask because mages could, in theory, call up a Slaughterer, as the chthonic things in the Lower Depths most explicitly can be summoned. And, in a To the Strongest game, the Weret-Hekau know all about this sort of thing.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Two beings being called the same thing is not uncommon. Especially not when it comes to demons, where "demon" is the name of several types of entities in CofD, and a descriptor for countless other entities. I think the best thing would be to assume they're different unless there is reason to believe they're somehow related.

Leave a comment:

• Demigod Beast
    replied
    Originally posted by Tessie View Post

I don't see the connection, unless you're interpreting them as being infernal demons.
    That’s what i was wondering—-are Slaughterers Inferno demons? Or just really nasty spirits.

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
    And they’re repeatedly referred to as demons. So, yes, I’d say they were ephemeral entities.
    I don't see the connection, unless you're interpreting them as being infernal demons.

Leave a comment:

• SunlessNick
    replied
    Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
    Would they have a Malpraxis, like demons of the Inferno?
    I doubt it - they don't tempt anyone - they only ever interact with entities already in Duat.

Leave a comment:

• Demigod Beast
    replied
    They only exist in Duat. Summoning them has never, to my knowledge, ever occurred. And they’re repeatedly referred to as demons. So, yes, I’d say they were ephemeral entities. It’s just a moot point as, within Duat Slaughterers may as well be Materialized.

I ask about Utterances, as they are the magic of mummies and Shan’iatu, so I was wondering if by default Slaughterers would have them. Slaughterers serve the Judges, too, after all...!

Leave a comment:

• Tessie
    replied
    Perhaps the Dread Powers of generic Horrors (CofD, p.144) or Claimed (WtF, p. 210) are more fitting than Numina and Influences? Also, are Slaughterers confirmed to be ephemeral entities? If not, then they could already be physical when in the material, just like Pangaeans (Dark Eras: Sundered World) and Supernal entities (MtA), two types of beings that also use the rules for ephemeral entities.
    Last edited by Tessie; 05-08-2018, 10:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Demigod Beast
    replied
    Would they have a Malpraxis, like demons of the Inferno? If so I’d imagine it’d be Wrath!

Leave a comment:

• Azahul
    replied
    Since Mummy is still 1e, I'm not assuming Manifestations are even a thing.

Leave a comment:

• Demigod Beast
    replied
    Since they never leave Duat, I’d assume the Slaughterers would have no Manifestations...

Leave a comment:

• Azahul
    replied
    Just because they don't really seem to do much more than hit things. The lack of Numina is just because I can't think of many that particularly suite them. There are plenty you could justify if you wanted to, but supernatural powers on top of being ephemeral don't seem particularly integral to statting out Slaughterers. You could take them or leave them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X