The tropes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The tropes

What tropes does mummy: the curse take from the classic monster.

I'm aware of being an ancient person and getting mad as hell when relics are taken away, but what elses there. Also what twists do they take with it

The whole angle of culture shock and a canny immortal navigating a future era rather than shambling around, not to mention the whole Curse aspect, comes from Jane Loudon's 1827 novel The Mummy!: Or a Tale of the Twenty-Second Century

You can also draw a pretty direct line between the game's depiction of Memory and Michael Jackson's 1992 single "Remember the Time"

2E Legacy Updates
    Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
    Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
    Storm Keepers

Comment

TVTropes! I invoke your dread name!

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Not so much related to the monster, but to me the defining trope of Mummy is its subversion of the traditional RPG experience. Rather than starting out as a character who grows stronger over time, you begin as... more of a collection of powerful stats that decline over time, but as these stats weaken you develop into an actual character and discover who you are (were).

Comment

Interesting Azahul. I thought you weaken over time and once you complete what you were told you go to sleep to charge up again, and if someone stole your crap you wake up and get it back?

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
            Interesting Azahul. I thought you weaken over time and once you complete what you were told you go to sleep to charge up again, and if someone stole your crap you wake up and get it back?
            Yep, that's it in a nutshell. My Mummy campaign ran for around 18 months and of the four players we had three who started new Descents in that time (though I'm not sure if one of them really counts). If your game is based around a Sothic Rising then barring character deaths you can theoretically go on indefinitely without starting a new Descent. Even for those who did burn through their Sekhem fast enough that they needed to be brought back, however, their moment-to-moment experience is still one of decline. The Sekhem/Memory interplay is easily my favourite part of Mummy, and I hope they refine it further in second edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Azahul View Post
              Yep, that's it in a nutshell. My Mummy campaign ran for around 18 months and of the four players we had three who started new Descents in that time (though I'm not sure if one of them really counts). If your game is based around a Sothic Rising then barring character deaths you can theoretically go on indefinitely without starting a new Descent. Even for those who did burn through their Sekhem fast enough that they needed to be brought back, however, their moment-to-moment experience is still one of decline. The Sekhem/Memory interplay is easily my favourite part of Mummy, and I hope they refine it further in second edition.
              And glorious games those were. Great Actual Plays, especially with them intertwining.

Comment

@ventO Azahul, y'all played together? Did any of your relics get stolen

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                  @ventO Azahul, y'all played together? Did any of your relics get stolen
                  No, I just (diligently) read the Actual Plays.

Comment

Oh, can I read them? With how the game works it seems like it has a very unique character building aspect that has the potential to be the deepest of all the games

Comment

Old Gods of Jakarta and Jakarta By Starlight

Comment

Working...
                      X