Witnesses 1.5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Witnesses 1.5

The current (1E) status of Witnesses is somewhat... lackluster (I find). For 3 Merit dots, they are immune to Sybaris, gain Unseen Sense (Deathless/Lifeless), and the drawback of obsession over Mummies.

So, in light of the various 2E versions of similar Mortal+ merits/minor templates, how can we improve Witness? Considering what they have already, I can see a few parallels:
    • Sleepwalkers - Both are merits that grant immunity from the deleterious auras of their respective splats. Sleepwalker also serves as a springboard/prerequisite for more merits.
    • Stigmatics - Both have immunity to something (Concealment Infrastructure vs Sybaris) and a sixth sense regarding their subject matter. Both also have a drawback (Stigmata/Glitches vs Obsession). Stigmatics also get a bonus Supernatural Merit.
    • Wolf-Blooded - Both are immune to their Splat's mind-wrecking auras (Lunacy vs Sybaris). Wolf-Blooded also get a Tell, which is a Drawback with corresponding Boon.
    Easiest to model is Stigmatics - No real change to the core Merit, just give them an existing Supernatural Merit to represent their ties to the occult. Done. Slightly more work is Sleepwalker - there is still no change to the base Merit, but adding new Merits that key off it (like maybe Guild Training, where they can spend XP to use a Guild Relic without triggering the Curse) will take some creation. Hardest, but (I think) the most fitting would be Wolf-Blooded - the Tell structure seems like it could also suit the nature of Sekhem's "Power for a Price". In this case, Witnesses would become almost like living (minor) Relics, with their own Curse (and corresponding Boon).

Thoughts? Suggestions (for any of the models)?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Stigmatics sound simplest, but they branch off to Demon-Blooded, so they might not be so simple to follow.

In that sense Sleepwalker-style may be the easiest, since all we need to do is cook up some Merits that interact with Sybaris, Vessels, Tombs, Guild structures etc.

Wolf-Blooded model sounds most enticing, but also hardest! Or... maybe make Witnesses literal pseudo-Relics? (Not sure how this would make sense; been a while since last read of Mummy core)

I assume the Ghoul/Herald template of subservience/worship in return for power is being saved for Sadikhs?

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
      Stigmatics sound simplest, but they branch off to Demon-Blooded, so they might not be so simple to follow.
      Well, there probably wouldn't be that degree of symmetry. More just Immune to X, Senses, Bonus Supernatural Merit.

In that sense Sleepwalker-style may be the easiest, since all we need to do is cook up some Merits that interact with Sybaris, Vessels, Tombs, Guild structures etc.
      So... Ideas? Holding (or generating) Pillar Points? Kepher senses? Ability to make The Call themselves?

Wolf-Blooded model sounds most enticing, but also hardest! Or... maybe make Witnesses literal pseudo-Relics? (Not sure how this would make sense; been a while since last read of Mummy core)
      I know! I could see all kinds of fun Curses with incidental Boons, some of which blurring the lines with Bane Relics/Affinities...

I assume the Ghoul/Herald template of subservience/worship in return for power is being saved for Sadikhs?
      Yeah. I figured Witnesses were Mortal+, while Sadikh were the "half" template. Though there might be an edge case with the High Priest of the Cult (but that can be handled with Mystery Cult Initiation).

Comment

Sadly, no idea to contribute yet - I’ll need to reread Mummy stuff if I want to.

Comment

I've always had this pet idea that Witnesses could be more closely tied to reincarnation, possibly mortal souls from as far back as Irem who find themselves drawn to the Arisen because they remember them from past lives. The Mummy core has the barest shades of this idea floating around (there's the occasional allusion to spotting mortals that look exactly like figures from centuries past), though it leaves it in the hands of the GM as to whether this is the Arisen's failing memory playing tricks on them or something that actually happens.

In that vein it would probably be easiest to have Witness and its Sybaris immunity be a simple merit used as the prerequisite for a handful of other supernatural merits that largely reflect past life experience, their purchase presumably reflecting the Witness unlocking past memories and abilities. Some level of interaction with ghosts as well might be appropriate (possibly even the ghosts of their past selves, though that would get a bit trippy).

Comment

I considered suggesting the Reborn as this in the Cleopatra Dark Era, but left it up to the writers' imaination. I think there's a lot of interesting room for this in the game.

Comment

I support making them as "Reborn +" template, considering that reincarnation is a part of their features. I also think that making them "stigmatized by Sekhem" would be a good path, in a similar way I did my Blood Dolls version (you can look at my sig to better understand what I mean). As I have the "stigmatics by every line" project in my to-do list, such an update would save me some time and effort :P

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by Azahul View Post
                I've always had this pet idea that Witnesses could be more closely tied to reincarnation, possibly mortal souls from as far back as Irem who find themselves drawn to the Arisen because they remember them from past lives. The Mummy core has the barest shades of this idea floating around (there's the occasional allusion to spotting mortals that look exactly like figures from centuries past), though it leaves it in the hands of the GM as to whether this is the Arisen's failing memory playing tricks on them or something that actually happens.

In that vein it would probably be easiest to have Witness and its Sybaris immunity be a simple merit used as the prerequisite for a handful of other supernatural merits that largely reflect past life experience, their purchase presumably reflecting the Witness unlocking past memories and abilities. Some level of interaction with ghosts as well might be appropriate (possibly even the ghosts of their past selves, though that would get a bit trippy).
                Heh. In that line of thought, a Witness nears death and is offered The Bargain by a Geist... who happens to have come from the Ghost of one of their past lives. Hilarity Ensues.

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                  I support making them as "Reborn +" template, considering that reincarnation is a part of their features. I also think that making them "stigmatized by Sekhem" would be a good path, in a similar way I did my Blood Dolls version (you can look at my sig to better understand what I mean). As I have the "stigmatics by every line" project in my to-do list, such an update would save me some time and effort :P
                  For Reborn, minimalist is giving them skill discounts and/or skill tricks (like Promethean's Good Brain).

For a bigger expansion, I could see giving them their own Age Power-Stat (reflecting the number of past lives they have access to) and a bunch of temporary Skill and Merit simulation/access. Sure, current-life-you is just an accountant, but you can tap into those memories/skills of when you were a viking warrior if needed. Or remember the secret protocols to get information from the Unseeing Scions of Ulst for an emergency.
                  Last edited by Vent0; 06-28-2018, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

For Reborn, minimalist is is giving them skill discounts and/or skill tricks (like Promethean's Good Brain).

For a bigger expansion, I could see giving them their own Age Power-Stat (reflecting the number of past lives they have access to) and a bunch of temporary Skill and Merit simulation/access. Sure, current-life-you is just an accountant, but you can tap into those memories/skills of when you were a viking warrior if needed. Or remember the secret protocols to get information from the Unseeing Scions of Ulst for an emergency.
                    I'd shy aware from giving them a power stat. Cuts off to much potential. Instead I'd make each Past Life a merit, tiered so you can access certain benifits.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

How does a power stat cut off potential?

Comment

Witnesses could be Vampires, Werewolves, Mages or other major templates. Since you canonly have one Power stat...heck, it would also mean no Witness ghosts.

Comment

I’m not that familiar with Mummy, but is past lives/ reincarnation that big of an element for Witnesses? That way sounds too much of an overlap with the Reborn.

Comment

I’m not that familiar with Mummy, but is past lives/ reincarnation that big of an element for Witnesses? That way sounds too much of an overlap with the Reborn.
                            Honestly? No it is not. Hence why some people up thread suggested combining them. Witnesses are primarily defined by two factors; immunity to Sybaris and an obsession with mummies/Irem.
                            Not a lot going on there.

Of course why some people are Witnesses is a mystery; one theory is that they are Reborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post

Honestly? No it is not. Hence why some people up thread suggested combining them. Witnesses are primarily defined by two factors; immunity to Sybaris and an obsession with mummies/Irem.
                              Not a lot going on there.

Of course why some people are Witnesses is a mystery; one theory is that they are Reborn.
                              Then maybe Reborn could be to Witnesses what Demon-Blooded are to Stigmatics, in a way.

Comment

Working...
                              X