Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternate Mummy the Curse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Alternate Mummy the Curse

    I was wondering if anyone had come up with Mummy the Curse house rules that basically changed out the mechanics so that instead of it being 10 to 1 it was like the other splats as 1 to 10 in terms of power stat.

    I have to ask this because it was one of the elements that made me very disappointed in Mummy the Curse (as brought back to me upon reading the weekly notes and seeing that 2e is being kickstarted). Honestly, back then the manuscript of the book wasn't given to backers (as far as I remember) and so I didn't realize that both mechanically and setting there were going to be elements that I honestly can't stand. (Which is a pity as generally speaking the actual powers are pretty nifty both mechanically and thematically.) Which if I did I would probably have pulled my support as what we got was nothing like what I imagined it was going to be.

    So yeah, does anyone have any thoughts on changing that mechanics element?

  • #2
    You should probably explain what the problem is. There have been plenty of complaints of Mummy, but that's a new one to me.


    Comment


    • #3
      Nope. I don't know why you disliked it, but I considered the Descent to be a central pillar and poster boy for everything that made Mummy the Curse subversive*, and really just a cool precedent for a game going forward, particularly in approaching a lot of the usual problems that come in with dealing with the power fantasy and scaling in most RPG's. I quite frankly loved it.

      I also don't know how you didn't know that was coming? It was an open part of the previews.

      *Though there's a lot about Mummy that flipped the mummy archetype, Chronicles conventions, and RPG design in general on it's head, all while still being really damn playable-but the Descent of Sekhem is emblematic of all that coolness.


      Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think the simplest solution to your issue would be to charge mummies the same for Sekhem that you would another supernatural type for their power stat, and remove the gradual loss of power from it as well. It would take away some of what makes Mummy unique, but it would allow you to raise their power over time. The biggest problem I’d see there is that you’d need to justify why mummies aren’t all built up to godly power from the beginning in the modern day.


        Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
        Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
        Masculine pronouns preferred.

        Comment


        • #5
          Would you approve of a rules hack where the Descent cycle is maintained, but Mummies wake at their weakest and passively collect Sekhem from their surroundings? Over time they inevitably become more powerful and unhinged. Eventually they spend several minutes at Sekhem 10, which is when the Judges yoink all that power into Duat, leaving the mummy asleep again. This would make Arisen into unwilling batteries for their masters.

          This approach assumes that you don't mind the Ascent/Descent cycle and it forgoes spending XP on the power stat.


          ~

          Comment


          • #6
            You could just have it Arisen stay active until killed or decide to die. They naturally build up power, but if killed they die till the next Sothic Turn and they start over again having lost a lot of memories and powers. Simple and clean.


            It is a time for great deeds!

            Comment


            • #7
              Thank you to those who provided ideas and potential answers on this topic. I appreciate it.

              Originally posted by Michael View Post
              You should probably explain what the problem is. There have been plenty of complaints of Mummy, but that's a new one to me.
              I have a number of concerns but most of them are setting based and thus I can ignore. But the whole idea of going from Sekhem 10 down to Sekhem 1 both frustrates and annoys me. I like the progress of growth and development, of starting low and as one plays they go high.

              To me the whole fact that everthing is reset ruins the whole idea of being an immortal mummy. Its the same issue in a different name that many had with Resurrection in that it is about the modern day.

              I say this as a super fan of Mummy: the Resurrection and its previous editions.

              I'm also not a fan of Memory, though as I ignore morality systems in general I aim to ignore that stat as well.

              Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post
              I think the simplest solution to your issue would be to charge mummies the same for Sekhem that you would another supernatural type for their power stat, and remove the gradual loss of power from it as well. It would take away some of what makes Mummy unique, but it would allow you to raise their power over time. The biggest problem I’d see there is that you’d need to justify why mummies aren’t all built up to godly power from the beginning in the modern day.
              This sounds interesting to me. Its also somewhat simple, which is nice.

              On the power level there was a note about the timeline not being a linear thing in 2e. So I was thinking that the personal timeline of the Mummy doesn't necessary equal the actual timeline of the world.

              So Cycle 1 might be in 2019, but Cycle 2 can be in 543 CE, Cycle 3, 1000 CE, Cycle 4 10,643 CE, etc. Power levels grow, with some set back based on the flow of Cycles.

              I like the idea of growing into power rather then the idea of loosing power. Which is what it is when you go Sekhem 10 down to 1.

              Originally posted by Teatime View Post
              Would you approve of a rules hack where the Descent cycle is maintained, but Mummies wake at their weakest and passively collect Sekhem from their surroundings? Over time they inevitably become more powerful and unhinged. Eventually they spend several minutes at Sekhem 10, which is when the Judges yoink all that power into Duat, leaving the mummy asleep again. This would make Arisen into unwilling batteries for their masters.

              This approach assumes that you don't mind the Ascent/Descent cycle and it forgoes spending XP on the power stat.
              In some ways this has potential, though I think it would be a bit frustrating to gain all that power, then die, come back, and have to do it all again. But that said, yeah, it is interesting.

              I do like the nature of the Cycle, though as I said I take the view that there are more periods for it then what is in the core.

              It is a good idea though, a potential way to represent gaining power as one spends time awake.

              ===

              ArcaneArts Nope. In fact I guess its those subversive elements that ruin things for me. On not knowing what it was about I supported them because I figured they were going to make a game based on the Mummy that came before. What I got was not that. What I got decided to ignore that which came before. As at that time they didn't give backers the manuscript I didn't get to see how Sekhem worked and such. I also didn't follow every little post and such as I trusted what they were going to do.

              As someone who LOVED the old Mummies games (all three editions, which I own in physical copy) I was, still am actually, upset about things.

              Which is why I made this thread. I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on the topic.

              Comment


              • #8
                If you enjoy the sense of growth, it's possible to lean into the Pillars. They do not decrease either during, or between the Descents. They're arguably as important as Sekhem, since not only do they unlock new Utterances and Affinities, they also add to some dice pools and determine your fuel points. I think they're worth looking into regardless of whether you hack the game or keep it as is.

                Although, I do say this fully acknowledging that we don't know how they work in 2nd Edition.


                ~

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by LordHeru View Post


                  This sounds interesting to me. Its also somewhat simple, which is nice.

                  On the power level there was a note about the timeline not being a linear thing in 2e. So I was thinking that the personal timeline of the Mummy doesn't necessary equal the actual timeline of the world.

                  So Cycle 1 might be in 2019, but Cycle 2 can be in 543 CE, Cycle 3, 1000 CE, Cycle 4 10,643 CE, etc. Power levels grow, with some set back based on the flow of Cycles.

                  I like the idea of growing into power rather then the idea of loosing power. Which is what it is when you go Sekhem 10 down to 1.
                  You would need to decide on what causes a mummy’s personal activity cycle with the removal of the Descent. The simplest way I can see for you to do that is to also remove death cycles and perhaps Duat, and simply have your mummies start a new cycle each time they are killed.
                  Personally, I’ve never been bothered by the Descent. I thought it was an interesting way to let people enjoy the upper tiers of power (probably more than in the average chronicle for the other CofD lines) without requiring every storyline for those characters be at that tier to keep it interesting. Since character advancement allowed characters to build up their Pillars and master new Utterances, I always felt that they were still gaining power, even if they would eventually run out of fuel and need to “rest” and replenish it. No matter how well I’m doing on a given day, I’m still going to need to sleep sooner or later. I see the Sekhem cycle as a similar necessity, and with them hopping back up to the upper end of that scale upon awakening, it doesn’t feel to me like they’re losing much there. That’s just me, though, and I fully acknowledge that what works for me might not for you and your group.


                  Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
                  Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
                  Masculine pronouns preferred.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Teatime View Post
                    If you enjoy the sense of growth, it's possible to lean into the Pillars. They do not decrease either during, or between the Descents. They're arguably as important as Sekhem, since not only do they unlock new Utterances and Affinities, they also add to some dice pools and determine your fuel points. I think they're worth looking into regardless of whether you hack the game or keep it as is.

                    Although, I do say this fully acknowledging that we don't know how they work in 2nd Edition.
                    I actually very much adore the Pillar, Affinity, and Utterance system. Thematically they are awesome and mechanically they are very well done. In fact I could totally see, in fact want to, play a character with access to those powers. (Though the whole limit on how many Affinities a mummy can have is not something I choose to follow). So yeah, they are a really fun set of rules.

                    Yeah on 2nd edition. Like a part of me doesn't want to be interested but another part of me knows that I am in fact interested. Even if its simply to see what changed and was updated.

                    Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post

                    You would need to decide on what causes a mummy’s personal activity cycle with the removal of the Descent. The simplest way I can see for you to do that is to also remove death cycles and perhaps Duat, and simply have your mummies start a new cycle each time they are killed.

                    Personally, I’ve never been bothered by the Descent. I thought it was an interesting way to let people enjoy the upper tiers of power (probably more than in the average chronicle for the other CofD lines) without requiring every storyline for those characters be at that tier to keep it interesting. Since character advancement allowed characters to build up their Pillars and master new Utterances, I always felt that they were still gaining power, even if they would eventually run out of fuel and need to “rest” and replenish it. No matter how well I’m doing on a given day, I’m still going to need to sleep sooner or later. I see the Sekhem cycle as a similar necessity, and with them hopping back up to the upper end of that scale upon awakening, it doesn’t feel to me like they’re losing much there. That’s just me, though, and I fully acknowledge that what works for me might not for you and your group.
                    Death is a simple way to do it, the death of everyone in the group or the completion of certain goal or something.

                    As I said above the whole Pillar, Affinity, and Utterance system is brilliant. (Though, as stated, the limit on how many Affinities one can have is weird to me). I like those elements, its the Descent that I don't like. That honestly ruins things for me.

                    A part of me wants to find another immortal group that I could use instead and then add onto them the Pillar and Affinity and Utterance system. That way I get what I want while ignoring the whole thing about the chains to dark beings and the corruption of memory and the loss of power. (In fact I am surprised that noone has come up with a functioning template that basically uses the Pillar/Affinity/Utterance system as the power on top of another Power Stat.)

                    Look, I get that people like this, and that is cool, I am not saying those people are wrong. I just have certain issues with certain things and wanted to see if a) anyone shared those issues and b) had any ideas on how to correct those issues.

                    But yeah, thanks for the comments, I appreciate the suggestions and ideas. Especially as I want to use and like those four books that I bought.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Perhaps some beings have become Nameless Gods, so they choose an Iconic Animal Totem Sacrifice their name and they function as High Sekhem Arisen but without the urge to sleep or die, and maybe they are just Immortal unless killed? So they are freer and more powerful then a general Arisen but operate under similar systems of power. The main Gods probably were mightier than the individual Shaniatu, and either at the same level as the Judges a notch above them. So perhaps newer Nameless Gods are around Judge level until they get beefier.

                      You probably just need minimal changes to the game to get rid of the hindrances you are not fond of. Maybe even then the beginning of a chronicle represents breaking away from the Judges grasp.

                      Or what if only the Player Characters are these type of Arisen who don't hemorrhage Sekhem and can grow in power without worrying about weakening or losing memory, and its because they severed the link to the Judges.

                      I mean its kind of what their Apotheosis is, except they are stuck at Sekhem one, but you can ignore that for your game.

                      But yeah Utterances and Pillars are fun, I totally would tweak the system to represent Gods, Demigods and Sorcerers.


                      It is a time for great deeds!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If I wanted to eliminate the Descent, I would wait and see if they have any expanded rules for Apotheosis in 2nd Edition. The Heretic is implied to have discovered a means to build his Sekhem back up once he undergoes the enlightenment, which sounds an awful lot like the traditional WW progression.

                        For my part, the Descent feels natural in a story about Mummies. I remember by stone age old copy of Van Richten's Guide to the Ancient Dead (a 2nd edition D&D supplement!) suggesting that Mummies arise for only limited intervals and generally must spend most of their existence in a state of restless sleep. The idea that the mummy relentlessly pursues whatever purpose caused it to awaken so that it can return to the peace of the grave is also a trope almost as old as the idea of the mummy rising at all! So I definitely find that while its a major departure from most WOD games it thematically fits the nature of most stories about mummified corpses rising up extremely well.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It seems like it would be fairly easy to incorporate both power gain and the Descent in a manner similar to Vampires and Torpor. Gain power, then lose it during slumber (Power Stat, at least - other improvements remain, after all).

                          I recall someone did a homebrew of Monuments preserving Memory - perhaps you could recast that into instead preserving minimum Sekhem? A Mummy starts their "mission" topped up, but is decreases to their "sustained" minimum. To increase it, they either need a new task, consume Relics, or invest in building up their personal power.


                          Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X