• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lbeaumanior
    started a topic Soul parts and Pillars

Soul parts and Pillars

Greetings,

I have been tangentially interested in Mummy for a while (Mage is my main interest), and seeing that in Dark Eras, we have a detailed correspondence between subtle arcana and pillars, I just got myself wondering "What about the Soul?"

Mummies have an understanding of a multipart soul, but what does each piece do? I have been reading a bit about the Egyptian conception of the soul and I draw blanks:
    • AB: Emotions and intentions, got it.
    • BA: Personality, identity and passions, this is the closest to current Occidental conception of a soul.
    • KA: The vital essence. Let's call it the "battery" of the soul.
    • REN: Your name... Does it imply destiny? Attributes?
    • SHEUT: Shadow... ??? What does it do?

If anyone can help, with some examples, to clarify... I tried to use a Linux analogy, but since I don't understand perfectly my analogy falls short and its probably wrong:

Ren is the filename, Ba are the file contents, Ka is the physical part of the file (What is actually modified in the hard drive), Sheut is the metadata (owner, permissions), and I fall short for Ab

• Stupid Loserman
    replied
    Taking in mind the associations in the Conquered Land, I think I see what my take is now, and have edited my post accordingly.

Leave a comment:

• lbeaumanior
    replied
    Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
    Bit of a kludge to mesh together what I understand of the historical Egyptian associations with their depiction as Pillars in Mummy:

Ab, the Heart: Emotions. Intentions. Having will and motive. Being described by your inner thoughts. You are what you think and feel.
    Ba, the Spirit: Personhood as incarnate through living action. Being described by your performed deeds. You are the things you do.
    Ka, the Essence: Life, animating energy, that which separates you from objects merely acted upon. Being described by your nature and agency. You are what distinguishes you from others.
    Ren, the Name: Meaning as can be passed on and expressed independent of your physical being. Being described by stories, roles, and contexts. You are what you mean to the world.
    Sheut, the Shadow: Representation. The capacity for being depicted. Being described by shape, image, and form. You are the impression and mark you make on the world.

Looking over Princes of the Conquered Land briefly, the last three align fairly well with their associated subtle Arcana. Perhaps I am a little off in my attempt to interpret the Ab and the Ba? Or perhaps I am close but a little rephrasing would better spotlight what associates them with Spirit and Mind.
    If this is right, then shouldn't the pillar correspondence be: Ab = Mind, Ba = Spirit??

Leave a comment:

• Stupid Loserman
    replied
    Bit of a kludge to mesh together what I understand of the historical Egyptian associations with their depiction as Pillars in Mummy:

Ab, the Heart: Emotions. Outlook. Being described by your feelings and motives. You are what drives you.
    Ba, the Spirit: Personhood as an action set into motion. Initiative and behavior. Being described by your performed deeds. You are how you choose to act.
    Ka, the Essence: Life, animating energy, that which separates you from objects merely acted upon. Being described by your nature and agency. You are what distinguishes you from others.
    Ren, the Name: Meaning as can be passed on and expressed independent of your physical being. Being described by stories, roles, and contexts. You are what you mean to the world.
    Sheut, the Shadow: Representation. The capacity for being depicted. Being described by shape, image, and form. You are the impression and mark you make on the world.
    Last edited by Stupid Loserman; 10-11-2019, 04:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X