Making Relics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Relics

So in ancient times mortals made Relics. In modern times those Reborn who have undergone Apotheosis can also make Relics as could certain motivated sorcerers. .

That said in Dark Eras Companion it is mentioned that there are no rules for it. (That said in In Reliquary there is the Relic Maker merit, though I consider this a more generic relic than the Mummy focused term).

My question is, so how does one make Relics. Both mechanically and descriptively. I ask mostly as I do not accept the whole 'it should not be done' premise. It was done before, an entire mortal nation did it, and so it should be able to be done again.

It’s less that “it should not be done” and more “mummies can’t do it.”

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
      It’s less that “it should not be done” and more “mummies can’t do it.”
      Well yeah technically, but the sidebar in Dark Eras Companion talk about how letting it happen in a game is world ending and such. Which while I respect the writers is not a premise I am interested in.

Some mummies can do it, Apotheosis mummies, but so can mortal sorcerers and such. Which is why I think they should have given the rules while saying that this won't apply to all games rather than what they did.

Comment

Providing rules for Relic creation is outside the scope of what they can cram into a single Dark Eras section.

But hopefully Relic Creation rules are in Mummy 2E or one of its Supplements. Because even if the Arisen can't, rules on how they otherwise would be made will be useful for designing new Relics.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
          Providing rules for Relic creation is outside the scope of what they can cram into a single Dark Eras section.

But hopefully Relic Creation rules are in Mummy 2E or one of its Supplements. Because even if the Arisen can't, rules on how they otherwise would be made will be useful for designing new Relics.
          On the first part, yeah, I can accept and understand that. Though I admit to wishing the sidebar was less 'this isn't going to happen' and more 'this isn't the place for such thing to happen'. But yes, I can totally understand that rules for Relic Creation in all its variabilities is not something that would fit in the section.

I really do hope that Mummy 2E has rules for it. Especially now that mortal sorcerers and other immortlas are present, beigns who might not have as much restriction on their making as compared to the base mummies themselves.

Comment

One makes relics by doing it.

It's a narrative process, the only real thing that distinguishes it from regular Craft/Expression/Etc. rolls is that the pieces is inspired enough to basically bear lifeforce and memory, that the piece is in some particular way both timely and timeless.

The Inspired and Informed condition, Exceptional Successes, Integrity Breaking Points for the craft, maybe-all of these can help with it, but really, if the idea isn't the sort of thing the Storyteller or the table at large thinks bears any measure of the world's Sekhem, then it's merely well executed.

There's no mechanics that can be offered that will ever adequately capture that point without also cheapening it. Like with Demon's Infrastructure, at some point you gotta just art it up. Relic Creation is the purview of Story Seeds, not casual ass mechanics.

If it's any consultation, it probably wouldn't be unfair to say that Ascended Mummies can just do it, maybe with expenditures of Willpower along with it, but that's because most of them got the trick of it from the horses mouth, and the world may no longer be such a place people can similarly learn those tricks. Then again, who knows.

It's not "it should not be done" so much as it's "you just do it."* Narrative fiat is the main thing these games work off of anyways.

*With the usual caveats of "Does this increase the fun?/Is the group for it?/Does it work in the scene and moment?/etc."
            Last edited by ArcaneArts; 10-20-2019, 03:32 PM.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
            The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
            Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Yeah, I'm normally one who likes to have mechanics for all kinds of systems in games (Social Manoeuvring has honestly been such a boon at my tables, to name a prominent example), but Relic Creation is something I've never felt was missing from Mummy. It would have been good to have a paragraph or two describing examples, perhaps, just to give players a grasp on what it looks and feels like. I was really thankful that the Book of the Deceived actually delved a bit into the creation of Seba, both in its introductory narrative story and here and there within the text, just so that I had some idea of what the creation of both Seba and Relics in general might look and feel like for the parties involved. But in general, the manufacture of a relic would be a story event, following rules particular to that relic, and is probably going to be a chapter of the game in its own right.

Not that I'd say no if the second edition does have relic manufacture rules of some variety, but I do feel like they're unnecessary. The subject could use some more text in terms of giving GMs and players a better grasp of the narrative shape of such an event, but I don't think it really needs concrete mechanics.

Comment

Working...
              X