Can mummies awaken before the Rite?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can mummies awaken before the Rite?

Weird novel idea I had about time being broken; is there anything stopping a Descent from predating Irem?

Remi. she/her. game designer.

While I don't know how true this is I heard rumors that maybe the Irem of the Mummies is not one that is in the past but rather in the future, and that is why the ritual worked to break time. My other answer is that if time is all wavy and timey wimey and one may have their first memorable descent being now then one a thousand years ago then another on Mars of the future and then whatnot why can't a descent exist say 5 to 10 thousand years ago. How the body of the character got there is mysterious but also cool.

Thinking on this potential cool idea imagine a descent in the time of the Dinosaurs which is bizarre as surely there are not humans there, mystery ahoy!

Honestly, the stories that can be told due to non linear time is marvelous to me.

Comment

There was speculation in the 1E period that Irem wasn't the first Irem. The theory was built around various tidbits such as the project to rebuild it in D.C.

If true, Irem of the Mummies and its Empire might have been something a descent of the greater Irem.

Comment

Last I heard you couldn't but I know I plan on it.

See you all on the other side.

Comment

I tend to think of ‘when’ the Rite happened as an impossible question. Before the moment, it had never happened. After the moment, it had never not happened.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
            I tend to think of ‘when’ the Rite happened as an impossible question. Before the moment, it had never happened. After the moment, it had never not happened.
            So it's Mage's Atlantis? As it's exactly as how Atlantis in MtAw 2E is described.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
            LGBT+ through Ages
            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

So it's Mage's Atlantis? As it's exactly as how Atlantis in MtAw 2E is described.
              Kinda the opposite, I think. Atlantis was removed from the world so it would have never existed. Irem broke time so it has always existed. I wonder how many times time got broken because wannabe gods decided the world would be better with them on top.

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                Kinda the opposite, I think. Atlantis was removed from the world so it would have never existed. Irem broke time so it has always existed. I wonder how many times time got broken because wannabe gods decided the world would be better with them on top.
                I’m confused. What’s the difference?

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

Comment

My friend’s answer to the Grandfather Paradox: Just don’t kill your grandfather!

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post

Atlantis is part of a continuity, or something resembling that in relation to the CofD that was retconned out of existence. It never was,is,etc. The origins of the Nameless Empire was intentionally designed as part of the CofD continuity by contrast.
                    Last edited by TyrannicalRabbit; 11-05-2019, 06:33 PM.

See you all on the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post

When the Exarchs ascended, they removed Atlantis from existence. There is no Atlantis, never was and never will be. Atlantis, as a symbol, was removed from the world, for Atlantis represented a world where mortals could have reached out and become gods, and the Exarchs were willing to sacrifice everyone to keep it for themselves.

When the Shan'iatu descended, they cemented Irem upon existence. There was Irem, it always was and always will be. Irem, as an object, became a part of the world, for Irem represented a world where gods could steal the gifts of a mortal soul, and the Shan'iatu were willing to sacrifice everyone to gain it for themselves.

So two polar sides of the same act.
                      Last edited by LostLight; 02-21-2020, 09:10 AM. Reason: spelling issues and adjustments for symmetry's sake

Check my STV content, Or My Homebrew

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Atlantis was made to have never existed. The Rite was made to have always happened.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

TyrannicalRabbit thanks 😊. Now I get it.

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                            When the Exarchs ascended, they removed Atlantis from existence. There is no Atlantis, never was and never will be. Atlantis, as a symbol, was removed from the world, for Atlantis represented a world were mortal could have reached out and become gods, and the Exarchs wanted to keep it for themselves.

When the Shan'iatu descended, they cemented Irem upon existence. There was Irem, it always was and always will be. Irem, as an object, became a part of the world, for Irem represented a world were gods could steal the gifts of a mortal soul, and the Shan'iatu were willing to sacrifice everyone for it.

So two polar sides of the same act.
                            Nice explanation.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

I would say that it theoretically is possible, but the Rite Of Return has a sort of failsafe worked into it that prevents the Mummy from being willingly deposited into a point of history immediately prior to the the performance of the Rite. Whether 6,000 years ago, or the distant future, or an alternate time stream.. the Judges will not jeopardize the potential creation of their servants. It is the scar that always has been, and always will be carved into the universe.

Fate on the other hand.. well It May be occasionally coaxed into following a path like a horse with a carrot, or blinders preventing It from perceiving the danger a certain course contains.. It cannot be fully controlled. If Fate deigns to play Its hand.. who knows what could happen?
                              Last edited by Korogra; 11-07-2019, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X