Can mummies awaken before the Rite?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• atamajakki
    started a topic Can mummies awaken before the Rite?

Can mummies awaken before the Rite?

Weird novel idea I had about time being broken; is there anything stopping a Descent from predating Irem?

• Deinos
    replied
    So simply put, do you think it will be possible for mummies to show up in Neolithic chronicles?

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by LordHeru View Post

As someone not a fan of the God-Machine I hope it doesn't get mentioned in Mummy, or if it gets mentioned it is done in a way that is safely capable of being overtly ignored.
    Please exercise a modicum of critical thought as to whether a crossover element is going to receive this type of attention or a story hook is going to be made completely mandatory before you start rehashing similar overzealous worrying people who weren't paying attention engaged in six years ago.

The God-Machine is the main cultural point of reference for demons in Demon in the same way that Mage and Mummy's respective empires are for their protagonists. These three games also happen to occupy the broadest geographical scope and the highest approximate power ceiling within the shared context of the Chronicles of Darkness. All three reference points also have been buried from historical relevance to such a degree that most monsters are going to be as aware of them as the average mortal. They're not going to have non-optional direct relevance in another gameline's core rulebook just because somebody can draw comparisons between similar elements.

Leave a comment:

• LordHeru
    replied
    Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post

And the G-M seeded itself backward and forward throughout time such that it always exists.
    As someone not a fan of the God-Machine I hope it doesn't get mentioned in Mummy, or if it gets mentioned it is done in a way that is safely capable of being overtly ignored.

Leave a comment:

• Khanwulf
    replied
    Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
    Atlantis was made to have never existed. The Rite was made to have always happened.

And the G-M seeded itself backward and forward throughout time such that it always exists.

Leave a comment:

• shkspr1048
    replied
    I think we need to know more about the whole "Time Being Broken" aspect of the game before opinions on this should be given.

Leave a comment:

• Korogra
    replied
    I would say that it theoretically is possible, but the Rite Of Return has a sort of failsafe worked into it that prevents the Mummy from being willingly deposited into a point of history immediately prior to the the performance of the Rite. Whether 6,000 years ago, or the distant future, or an alternate time stream.. the Judges will not jeopardize the potential creation of their servants. It is the scar that always has been, and always will be carved into the universe.

Fate on the other hand.. well It May be occasionally coaxed into following a path like a horse with a carrot, or blinders preventing It from perceiving the danger a certain course contains.. It cannot be fully controlled. If Fate deigns to play Its hand.. who knows what could happen?
    Last edited by Korogra; 11-07-2019, 11:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bunyip
    replied
    Originally posted by LostLight View Post
    When the Exarchs ascended, they removed Atlantis from existence. There is no Atlantis, never was and never will be. Atlantis, as a symbol, was removed from the world, for Atlantis represented a world were mortal could have reached out and become gods, and the Exarchs wanted to keep it for themselves.

When the Shan'iatu descended, they cemented Irem upon existence. There was Irem, it always was and always will be. Irem, as an object, became a part of the world, for Irem represented a world were gods could steal the gifts of a mortal soul, and the Shan'iatu were willing to sacrifice everyone for it.

So two polar sides of the same act.
    Nice explanation.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    TyrannicalRabbit thanks 😊. Now I get it.

Leave a comment:

• atamajakki
    replied
    Atlantis was made to have never existed. The Rite was made to have always happened.

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    Originally posted by Penelope View Post

I’m confused. What’s the difference?
    When the Exarchs ascended, they removed Atlantis from existence. There is no Atlantis, never was and never will be. Atlantis, as a symbol, was removed from the world, for Atlantis represented a world where mortals could have reached out and become gods, and the Exarchs were willing to sacrifice everyone to keep it for themselves.

When the Shan'iatu descended, they cemented Irem upon existence. There was Irem, it always was and always will be. Irem, as an object, became a part of the world, for Irem represented a world where gods could steal the gifts of a mortal soul, and the Shan'iatu were willing to sacrifice everyone to gain it for themselves.

So two polar sides of the same act.
    Last edited by LostLight; 02-21-2020, 09:10 AM. Reason: spelling issues and adjustments for symmetry's sake

Leave a comment:

• TyrannicalRabbit
    replied
    Originally posted by Penelope View Post

Atlantis is part of a continuity, or something resembling that in relation to the CofD that was retconned out of existence. It never was,is,etc. The origins of the Nameless Empire was intentionally designed as part of the CofD continuity by contrast.
    Last edited by TyrannicalRabbit; 11-05-2019, 06:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    My friend’s answer to the Grandfather Paradox: Just don’t kill your grandfather!

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    Originally posted by LostLight View Post
    Kinda the opposite, I think. Atlantis was removed from the world so it would have never existed. Irem broke time so it has always existed. I wonder how many times time got broken because wannabe gods decided the world would be better with them on top.

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

So it's Mage's Atlantis? As it's exactly as how Atlantis in MtAw 2E is described.
    Kinda the opposite, I think. Atlantis was removed from the world so it would have never existed. Irem broke time so it has always existed. I wonder how many times time got broken because wannabe gods decided the world would be better with them on top.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X