Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dave Brookshaw View Post

Oi!

Kindly don't quote something I said three years ago about 1e, before this edition was started, and make it look like I'm commenting on the new team.
    I didn't. I quoted you on the mechanics of the first edition, expressing disappointment that they returned in second edition. If anyone thinks you commented on the team that works on 2e, then they've both misread the topic and the edition. I also specified which editions you worked on or not as to prevent other misunderstandings.
    Last edited by Tessie; 11-14-2019, 07:23 AM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• The latest backer update is encouraging at least, though I hope some attention is paid to the Affinities as well as Utterances. They feel just as problematic on the "same as 1e, but with fewer options" front.

Comment

• That is good news.

Either way, everything else is still really cool and promising so I’m confident everything will be A-okay!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
          I didn't. I quoted you on the mechanics of the first edition, expressing disappointment that they returned in second edition. If anyone thinks you commented on the team that works on 2e, then they've both misread the topic and the edition. I also specified which editions you worked on or not as to prevent other misunderstandings.
          The point is that, while he’s been a cherished vocal and engaged member of this forum community, Dave isn’t the end all, be all representative of Onyx Path’s writers and developers, and his opinions, while admittedly based on many years of experience, aren’t axiomatic.

Comment

• Agreed! Though Dry as he can be while on podcasts at times( no offense Dave, I’ve just fallen asleep a couple times listening to you explain the premises of a couple game lines xD. That said, i think it was more of a relaxed ASMR thing instead of boredom), he’s not one to really throw shade on people or throw them under the bus for mechanical issues.

But I understand where Tessie is coming from, it’s just not something that seems to be applicable now.

Personally, I like the target number manipulation thing, but neither here nor there xD

Comment

• Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post

We'll start writing them as soon as we hit the goal, so probably as backer updates after the Kickstarter concludes.

Thank you good sir! Looking forward to more good work from your team

Comment

• Originally posted by Paradim View Post

How I view it... Is that the Arisen are the star of this show. Now, every star needs a strong supporting cast, and because of that, I'm happy to see new inclusions. But if the star of the show isn't actualized because of cut space for new material? Then everything falls apart. If the Arisen aren't awesome (original meaning of the word, inspiring of awe, that is admiration, reverence and fear), then what is the point of making Mummy: The Curse?
                So, does that make The Contagion Chronicles the Friends of the CofD?

Comment

• Mummies strike me as very good at causing an apocalypse, if they want to be murderously destructive towards the civilian populace (not really the kind of PC I want to have in my chronicle), but they don't have much packing oomph in a fight in any kind of timely fashion. Contrast this with beasts, deviants and changelings, who can just... melt everybody with environmental tilts if they want, but they have actual combat powers they can use 1v1.

Beast has a nice system where you can impose environmental tilts on an area, usually without a roll. This can kill most encounters by itself. Then you can use an Obcasus rite to extend the effects to the city (with an advanced Obcasus Rite), or to a region (Kingdom of Nightmares). This feels like an ideal model for the more general sort of tier 1, tier 2, tier 3 effects of calling down apocalyptic temper tantrums on a region, though for beasts, its more aimed at preventing escape than killing everyone.

Beasts also have a system where you have very small power pools, and can expend them fast and in a fury if you absolutely need to defeat an opponent; while you still have a lot of powers open to you. For mummies, its less that they can expend their power pools fast to deal with foes well and more that that's about all they have as an option.

Comment

• I think the lack small scale offensive powers might be to encourage support and use of the mummy's cult

Comment

• If you look at the entirety of 1e(or even just the difference between things like 1e BITGK) that doesn't really bear out and I don't think that sort of reasoning holds water.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” noun: empathy the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Comment

• Another data point for feedback - my group is a lot like Tessie's, in that target number manipulation is a hard no for us.
                        It's certainly true that it makes Mummies distinct, that point is definitely not in question.

Comment

• See, this is why a sidebar of "Don't like Target Number changes? Use this instead." wouldn't be bad

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                          Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Since there's only a few powers with the variable target numbers, and so many people have complained, I wouldn't be surprised if the mechanic never makes it to the final draft.

While I, too, don't like it, I also believe the reaction to the mechanic is sometimes a little over the top. It's only referenced in about three powers, and nothing fundamental to the splat like Descent, Memory, etc.

Comment

• I posted this on the kickstarter but I wanted to share the thought. - Soooo does a mummy interrupted in his tomb automatic have to go all death spiral on the people or can he go 'I am now your master bow before my majesty!" Because I think the idea of taking the tomb robbers and making them say the core of the descent's cult a very interesting idea.

Comment

• I'd contend that the mechanic's very limited presence is precisely why it either needs to be removed, or spread across the game more. Four Affinities and one singular Condition is... really not a lot, to the point it raises the question of why it was carried forward in such a diminished capacity in the first place, but that in turn raises the question of whether it "ought" to be broadened or completely stripped out. My vote's for "remove" purely since it'd be easier to retool those five bits than to rework an uncertain additional quantity and potentially see it wedged in awkwardly where it might not work, but it ain't my call.

We'll see what happens with the retooled and new Utterances when they're ready to be discussed. I'm cautiously optimistic at least... particularly if some of the "new" ones (but certainly not all, nor even necessarily most) bring forward some of the missing highlights from the 1e list.

I've got a bit of a bad habit of extensively editing my posts after the fact. Please try and bear with me...
                                In case you're comfortable being more friendly and casual about things, my name's Estella, or Es/Essie for short. They/Them or She/Her, please.

Comment

Working...
                                X