Mummy: the Curse 2e Kickstarter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by branford View Post
    Since there's only a few powers with the variable target numbers, and so many people have complained, I wouldn't be surprised if the mechanic never makes it to the final draft.

While I, too, don't like it, I also believe the reaction to the mechanic is sometimes a little over the top. It's only referenced in about three powers, and nothing fundamental to the splat like Descent, Memory, etc.
    Hear Hear. Let's not forget the fantastic first two chapters, and every other good bit of the character creation chapter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sconce View Post
      I'd contend that the mechanic's very limited presence is precisely why it either needs to be removed, or spread across the game more. Four Affinities and one singular Condition is... really not a lot, to the point it raises the question of why it was carried forward in such a diminished capacity in the first place, but that in turn raises the question of whether it "ought" to be broadened or completely stripped out. My vote's for "remove" purely since it'd be easier to retool those five bits than to rework an uncertain additional quantity and potentially see it wedged in awkwardly where it might not work, but it ain't my call.

We'll see what happens with the retooled and new Utterances when they're ready to be discussed. I'm cautiously optimistic at least... particularly if some of the "new" ones (but certainly not all, nor even necessarily most) bring forward some of the missing highlights from the 1e list.
      Yes, my thought exactly. Personally I don't mind the mechanic because there is a drastic difference between a die system having variable target numbers and active powers having them as part of their effect. But there is an argument to be made that it should either be a mechanic front and center of a bold expression of a power set or not done at all. The current look probably doesn't satisfy the enthusiasts and well the detractors have certainly been vocal.

I say be daring. None of this silly you can't do X because of tomb robbers existing or because mummies have cults stuff.(tone doesn't translate well in text, I mean this playfully)
      Last edited by TyrannicalRabbit; 11-14-2019, 08:57 PM.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” noun: empathy the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Comment

• So this was posted on the Mummy the Curse thread on the Rpg.net forums

Evil Midnight Lurker said:
        ...so is it viable for the group to awaken for the first time in the modern day, run afoul of an ancient conspiracy that aims to destroy everything the guilds stand for, and as they experience awakening after awakening across time -- encountering and struggling against this conspiracy at every turn, learning more about them, eventually coming to wonder who the real villains are...

...and finally discover that their own eventual selves, in the deep past, are the conspiracy?

@Leliel If you've done it right, the reaction, both IC and OOC is:

"Dude! We're awesome in the future! Our future! Their past! Whatever, let's just send some tips back through the time portal and buy up Memory so we don't have to be lost next time."
        I am posting it here because of HOW AWESOME the idea is to me. I mean damn, can you imagine the fun in said scenario as the players and the ST all begin meeting up in events. That's so cool.

Non-linear time is gonna be EPIC!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
          So this was posted on the Mummy the Curse thread on the Rpg.net forums

I am posting it here because of HOW AWESOME the idea is to me. I mean damn, can you imagine the fun in said scenario as the players and the ST all begin meeting up in events. That's so cool.

It solves the starting character conundrum brilliantly.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” noun: empathy the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Comment

• As a note, going over the manusacrift appendix and I noticed Memory Bleed. That is an awesome and PERFECT way to represent something like the soul transformation upon taking the body of a cultist or something else. It totally could aid in explaining why a mummy identifies more with say the modern world then that of lost Irem.

I point it out because I love finding little nuggets like this that give me mechanical oomph to something that I had randomly thought about while reading the other available chapters.

Same thing with the awe conditions. They totally fit with the whole concept of a mummy overwhelming someone with his sheer presence and making them submissive as a result.

Comment

So this was posted on the Mummy the Curse thread on the Rpg.net forums

This is absolutely something that can happen.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

• So, we got a gander at Cult rules today on the Kickstarter, and - well, I didn't expect emanations to show up so readily.

Don't know why I didn't, but that one rule about "no second chances before meeting with the boss" really hammers in just how willing the Judges are willing to yank on the leash - and why Wayward Cult is such an attractive Merit, because it removes that particular sword hanging over the head of a mummy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leliel View Post
                  So, we got a gander at Cult rules today on the Kickstarter, and - well, I didn't expect emanations to show up so readily.

Don't know why I didn't, but that one rule about "no second chances before meeting with the boss" really hammers in just how willing the Judges are willing to yank on the leash - and why Wayward Cult is such an attractive Merit, because it removes that particular sword hanging over the head of a mummy.
                  I *think* that's worth some clarification of the text, as I believe the intent is not that any doctrine violation automatically causes a manifestation, but that it always gives the trigger needed if the Judge desires to use it.

It's the equivalent of giving your murderous boss a loaded handgun. Better hope he's in a good mood.

I'll query it and make sure I've got the right end of the stick :P

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer & Developer

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

• So, just to make sure I have things clear: the mummy's body good through time in a linear fashion: it does in Irem, rises during the first Sothic Turn, returns to the grave, maybe arises again in-between Turns when the Cult summons it or a grave robber disturbs it, arises again during the second Sothic Turn, and so on and so forth.

But the mummy's consciousness goes through time nonlinearly: after visiting Duat for the first time, it arrives in, say, the Fourth Sothic Turn before returning to Duat and then arising in the Second Sothic Turn, etc.

So if you show up in the Fourth Sothic Turn in your original body, that means that it survived all the way through history from the fall of Irem, and your subsequent Descents in earlier time periods will all be in your original body?

Or is it that you don't ever know if it's your original body, and it's always possible that something happened somewhere earlier in the timeline that altered which body you inhabit?

Is it possible that the process of Arising transforms your body, such that even if you never have to replace it, you can still go through a Descent in a drastically different form than you were in for a chronologically earlier Descent? Something vaguely similar to Doctor Who's Regenerations?

Comment

• On the above I honestly think its a bit of both and neither at the same time. I think that while the body itself flows through time in the normal way if the soul does something special then the soul gains primacy. Thanks to the Rite of Return and the power of Sekhem.

So basically timey whimey and all Doctor Who Regenerations. (By the way the fact that this allows for something like playing out the Doctor's life is really cool. hehe)

---

On an unrelated point, I like how what dot of Sekhem a mummy might arise with may vary based on reason for awakening. That is nifty.

That said I still wished the first descent had them at Sekhem 1 and that they rose it over time like other groups, especially as the non-linear nature of Mummy existence means that this does actually work to represent super powerful immortal timeless beings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                        So, just to make sure I have things clear: the mummy's body good through time in a linear fashion: it does in Irem, rises during the first Sothic Turn, returns to the grave, maybe arises again in-between Turns when the Cult summons it or a grave robber disturbs it, arises again during the second Sothic Turn, and so on and so forth.

But the mummy's consciousness goes through time nonlinearly: after visiting Duat for the first time, it arrives in, say, the Fourth Sothic Turn before returning to Duat and then arising in the Second Sothic Turn, etc.

So if you show up in the Fourth Sothic Turn in your original body, that means that it survived all the way through history from the fall of Irem, and your subsequent Descents in earlier time periods will all be in your original body?

Or is it that you don't ever know if it's your original body, and it's always possible that something happened somewhere earlier in the timeline that altered which body you inhabit?

Is it possible that the process of Arising transforms your body, such that even if you never have to replace it, you can still go through a Descent in a drastically different form than you were in for a chronologically earlier Descent? Something vaguely similar to Doctor Who's Regenerations?
                        It’s complicated, but no, you have that wrong. The mummy’s body and mind go through time non-linearly. The mummy who wakes up for his first Descent in 2019 literally hasn’t been anywhere or when else yet. But from the point of view of more limited creatures who are trapped in time, they may have encountered the mummy in 2005. (Or 1505, for immortals.) This doesn’t mean that the mummy has just been waiting for his body to catch up.

How to put it another way? Say the mummy in 2019 barely survives a powerful supernatural effect that leaves horrible scars that will slowly fade over his next few Descents. The person he knew in 2005 remembers him being horribly scarred and wonders why the 2019 mummy is unblemished, but then experiences the event alongside the mummy in 2019 where he gets the scars.

The immortal who knew the mummy in 1505 remembers that he had fading scars back then and wonders why they’re so much worse in 2005. He then wonders how they’re non-existent in 2019 after being so much worse just 14 years ago.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

• Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

It’s complicated, but no, you have that wrong. The mummy’s body and mind go through time non-linearly. The mummy who wakes up for his first Descent in 2019 literally hasn’t been anywhere or when else yet. But from the point of view of more limited creatures who are trapped in time, they may have encountered the mummy in 2005. (Or 1505, for immortals.) This doesn’t mean that the mummy has just been waiting for his body to catch up.

How to put it another way? Say the mummy in 2019 barely survives a powerful supernatural effect that leaves horrible scars that will slowly fade over his next few Descents. The person he knew in 2005 remembers him being horribly scarred and wonders why the 2019 mummy is unblemished, but then experiences the event alongside the mummy in 2019 where he gets the scars.

The immortal who knew the mummy in 1505 remembers that he had fading scars back then and wonders why they’re so much worse in 2005. He then wonders how they’re non-existent in 2019 after being so much worse just 14 years ago.
                          So the point is that any time- dependent effect that is related to the mummy moves "non linearly" with time, but if I were to stay around the mummy from the time of Irem until today, I would just see them wake up every time the stars are right, and from my point of view it would just be as if the mummy serves as an oracle or prophet of some sort, bringing dread prophecies about the future and recalling lost knowledge from the past? Sounds cool. Really in theme.

In that case, if one were to terminate a mummy's existence (which, as I understand, requires destroying all of its four canopic jars, killing all Inheritors, scattering the cult and burning its body to ash then scattered in the wind), the mummy could still awaken to past events, but can't progress any further than that point of time?

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• So there isn't a mummified corpse in a sarcophagus somewhere when they're not in a Descent?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                              So there isn't a mummified corpse in a sarcophagus somewhere when they're not in a Descent?
                              I'm actually intensely curious about this as well. Because on part there has to be, otherwise being woken up by tomb raiders wouldn't work.

That said I really like the idea that the body of the mummy is just as non-linear as the mind and soul of the mummy, so that is a nice touch.

On a personal level I guess one way to think about it is that the corpse in the sarcophagus is just a material thing and only becomes the mummy upon the awakening.

Comment

I'm actually intensely curious about this as well. Because on part there has to be, otherwise being woken up by tomb raiders wouldn't work.
                                And it’s kind of central to the concept of “a mummy”.

That said I really like the idea that the body of the mummy is just as non-linear as the mind and soul of the mummy, so that is a nice touch.
                                I’d hate that for the aforementioned reason. There’d be no reason to still call the game “Mummy” if they’re physical time hoppers instead of mummified bodies that rise in tombs.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
                                X