No announcement yet.

Mummy: the Curse 2e Kickstarter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earlier notes on that aspect seemed to point in the direction of the consciousness or whatever you want to call it, having a separation from the body but that the body is still there and there is a connection there. Which was part of 1e's Rite of Return. That it's ultimately accomplishment was tying the soul,etc to the ritually prepared corpse so powerfully that it, through Sekhem, allowed the Deathless to rise time and time again from death. So yeah it would be more than little odd if the body just wasn't there.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” noun: empathy the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

It’s complicated, but no, you have that wrong. The mummy’s body and mind go through time non-linearly. The mummy who wakes up for his first Descent in 2019 literally hasn’t been anywhere or when else yet. But from the point of view of more limited creatures who are trapped in time, they may have encountered the mummy in 2005. (Or 1505, for immortals.) This doesn’t mean that the mummy has just been waiting for his body to catch up.

How to put it another way? Say the mummy in 2019 barely survives a powerful supernatural effect that leaves horrible scars that will slowly fade over his next few Descents. The person he knew in 2005 remembers him being horribly scarred and wonders why the 2019 mummy is unblemished, but then experiences the event alongside the mummy in 2019 where he gets the scars.

The immortal who knew the mummy in 1505 remembers that he had fading scars back then and wonders why they’re so much worse in 2005. He then wonders how they’re non-existent in 2019 after being so much worse just 14 years ago.
      So if your body is destroyed and you have to take a cultist’s body in, let’s say, 1905 - from the perspective of linear time trapped beings, your original mummified corpse throughout its history would sometimes adopt two different sahu when it rises before 1905, depending on whether that event was before said destruction and possession from the mummy’s pov.

And similarly, linear post-1905 the new dessicated corpse adopts the old sahu when it rises before said event from the mummy’s pov?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• RIP target numbers. I’ll miss you.

Comment

• This is the way I see it. Your corpse is there, at all times. Without you in it, though, it’s just a mummified corpse. Once you’re in, it becomes the sahu, filling out and shaping it with magic. It is tied much to the mummy’s self image, so it will closely match their original appearance during “early” Descents. Now, say they incarnate into the body of Roman gladiator cultist (hell, we’ll give the mummy the Resonant Lifetime Merit for good measure). From that point on, the mummy will likely look like the Roman gladiator every time they get up going forward, as the sahu will be shaped that way by the mummy’s soul.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
          Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Pirates of Pugmire, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
          Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

• This is the sort of thing I was wondering about. As well, when you take someone else's body, whether you're a Deathless whose body was destroyed requiring you take the body of one of your cultists or you're a Body-Hopper (eagerly waiting for Chapter Five, BTW), your physical stats change. That's why I was thinking along the lines of Doctor Who's Regenerations — though perhaps a better analogy would be a caterpillar's cocoon: there's a body in the bandages, but over the centuries it slowly changes so that each Descent potentially features a different form, whether or not the Arisen's body is destroyed in any given Descent and regardless of what order those Descents take place.

I think I'd much prefer that to “the Deathless physically travels to Duat between Descents”.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
              So there isn't a mummified corpse in a sarcophagus somewhere when they're not in a Descent?
              There usually is, but it’s not really ‘you’ until ‘you’ are there. That’s why it’s complicated.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

• There's a corpse, and it's sorta you but it's a soulless husk connected to the Rite of Return until you're there, and then it's whichever you has arisen from Duat to inhabit it in that moment.

Revlid wrote:
                Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

Comment

• Looks like we hit the Stretch Goal for the additional Utterances! And that means we're just nearly $3,000 away from the Book of Lasting Death Stretch Goal! ^.^

Comment

• So, seeing the latest update.... It's looking like the shifting target numbers thing to represent Fate is being removed from the game, and they're going to be using Advanced Actions and something new called Blighted Actions to serve the place shifting target numbers were used. Advanced Actions show up in W:tF 2nd Edition, and it lets you roll for an action twice and to take the better result. I presume a Blighted Action will be to roll for the action twice and take the worse result....

I'm fine with that, honestly. I don't really see how this actually changes anything, how it makes things better or worse or whatever... But I mostly just want consistency.

Comment

• I wonder if that will end up meaning we'll see those crop up more then. Wasn't something I hated but if expands a mechanic from 2e that will be fun.

I remain skeptical but we'll see how it all turns out.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” noun: empathy the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Comment

• Originally posted by TyrannicalRabbit View Post
                        I wonder if that will end up meaning we'll see those crop up more then. Wasn't something I hated but if expands a mechanic from 2e that will be fun.

I remain skeptical but we'll see how it all turns out.

I'll admit, I'm kind of amused as to how counting a number as a success is somehow a terrible thing, but doubling how many times you roll dice is... better?

I don't get it, but whatever. I don't really think it matters in the long run.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paradim View Post

I'll admit, I'm kind of amused as to how counting a number as a success is somehow a terrible thing, but doubling how many times you roll dice is... better?

I don't get it, but whatever. I don't really think it matters in the long run.
                          Not being a maths and crunch fella my curiosity is mostly along the lines of how drastic of a difference it makes on success or failure. Beyond that I share in not getting it.

Comment

• Yeah, the pushback always felt to me like it was driven by oWoD veterans who didn't quite understand that the mechanic was reserved to specific supernaturally influenced rolls, as opposed to their own memories of it being a universal thing in oWoD.

Not exactly the biggest problem in the game as it stands that I'd like to see addressed, but the fact that some Fate-related mechanics got changed and others didn't was bothering me. Hopefully they'll be consistent in how this is applied, otherwise I'm already having nightmares about Blessed is the God-King Tier 1 combined with an Advance Action mechanic...

Comment

• I think the idea is that Advanced Actions at least have precedent in the current edition (and thus set precedent for Blighted Actions). Whereas uh, target number shifts only have precedent in exactly one gameline - Mummy 1e - and the idea of introducing an entirely new mechanic for precisely four powers and one condition is... kind of weird and arguably unnecessary.

I'd've been fine with it being around if it got used more, but I guess if that was the line of thought behind the scenes, it was deemed easier to swap in another existing mechanic rather than try to push this one into more Affinities/Utterances/Conditions.

That, and (while I'm not in the mental space to try and crunch the numbers right now) Advanced/Blighted Actions might or might not have more potential for a bit more statistical impact while still feeling very Fate-Screw-y; lowering/raising target numbers by one isn't nothing, far from it (TN-1 shifts a two-die pool from a 51% success rate to 64% if I'm doing the right thing in my head, and only gets better with more dice), but... yeah. If someone else wants to run the numbers on that and/or correct my groggy maths?

I've got a bit of a bad habit of extensively editing my posts after the fact. Please try and bear with me...
                              In case you're comfortable being more friendly and casual about things, my name's Estella, or Es/Essie for short. They/Them or She/Her, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Azahul View Post
                                Yeah, the pushback always felt to me like it was driven by oWoD veterans who didn't quite understand that the mechanic was reserved to specific supernaturally influenced rolls, as opposed to their own memories of it being a universal thing in oWoD.

Not exactly the biggest problem in the game as it stands that I'd like to see addressed, but the fact that some Fate-related mechanics got changed and others didn't was bothering me. Hopefully they'll be consistent in how this is applied, otherwise I'm already having nightmares about Blessed is the God-King Tier 1 combined with an Advance Action mechanic...
                                Being more of a flavour person my interest/concern is that 1e had more than a bit to say about the ties of the Deathless were tied to cosmic ineffable Fate and was for me at least part of the mystic of Mummy. So I hope this still rings in 2e with this mechanic as part of that.

Sconce It was used in Exalted for the Sidereal exalted to also emulate some of their abilities to manipulate Fate. Though generally to lower target numbers. Mummy 1e had it all throughout it's powers and it's limited introduction here seems to have born out of wanting to keep it at least somewhat. At least one person who wrote for Exalted contributed to Mummy 1e and he was an amazing powers writer.
                                Last edited by TyrannicalRabbit; 11-16-2019, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X