Mummy: the Curse 2e Kickstarter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TyrannicalRabbit View Post
    My other concern with this preview is the use of Affinities and Utterances by Sadikh. Affinities are not an issue as Willpower is generally the resource there and Deathless seem to many many ways to regain Willpower. However, Pillar pools are tiny, unnecessarily so in my opinion, and now we have ANOTHER thing tugging on that string.
    My understanding is that Sadikh can use Utterences with the Arisen's permission, spending the Arisen's Pillars. So it is either another origin point for an Utterence (if the Arisen is needed somewhere else) or a way to pull off two Utterences using more Pillars than allowed to spend by current Sekhem.

Not great, but not awful.

As for Sadikh being more durable, is occurs to me we haven't seen the Arisen's default abilities yet. If the Deathless get the 'all non-magic, non-fire damage is bashing' thing, then they get a lot more of the awe-inspiring toughness coming back that people complained was missing from Sealing the Flesh.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• Originally posted by FallenEco View Post

My understanding is that Sadikh can use Utterences with the Arisen's permission, spending the Arisen's Pillars. So it is either another origin point for an Utterence (if the Arisen is needed somewhere else) or a way to pull off two Utterences using more Pillars than allowed to spend by current Sekhem.

As for Sadikh being more durable, is occurs to me we haven't seen the Arisen's default abilities yet. If the Deathless get the 'all non-magic, non-fire damage is bashing' thing, then they get a lot more of the awe-inspiring toughness coming back that people complained was missing from Sealing the Flesh.
      The Deathless do take damage that way. Unless you have a Relic weapon or a flamethrower, you can shoot them, stab them, slash them, bludgeon them, crush them, chop them, and kick them in the shins and it’s all bashing until you manage to wrap it around into lethal. Their natural regeneration helps hold that off, too.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
      Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Book of Lasting Death, Pirates of Pugmire, They Came From Beyond the Grave!, TC Aeon: Mission Statements, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
      Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

• We've already seen the default standard resilience and healing abilities for all mummies, Preview #2, pp. 49 (Seal the Flesh), 85, 91-92.

Comment

• Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post

The Deathless do take damage that way. Unless you have a Relic weapon or a flamethrower, you can shoot them, stab them, slash them, bludgeon them, crush them, chop them, and kick them in the shins and it’s all bashing until you manage to wrap it around into lethal. Their natural regeneration helps hold that off, too.
          Thank you. That is good to know. I appreciate the gift of knowledge for my birthday.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• There are differences between Mummy and Sadikh resilience, and my guess is that it's because two different writers wrote the relevant sections.

• Resilient Body: Sadikh convert all damage to bashing damage, except for magical / supernatural attacks, which are treated as lethal. They do not die when their Health track is filled with lethal damage, instead falling into a repose and waking when the mummy next wakes....
            Damage Sources Mummies don’t take injury in the same way living bodies do. They receive the following changes to basic sources of harm (p. XX): ... • Mummies suffer bashing damage from firearms, blades, and melee weaponry. • In addition to basic sources of aggravated damage, mummies suffer aggravated damage from fire and vessels in the form of weaponry

Comment

• Plus, iirc in 1e sadikh were slightly more durable than the arisen itself, though my memory may have faltered between that cycle and this one.

I do have a question though. Why were Grasp and Reach kept from 1e, rather than updating to the 2e standards followed by Krewes and Conspiracies and such? Granted, it isn't hard to align, as the two match nicely to Power and Finesse, but we lack Resistance. I'm not sure if they're balanced to interact with the other types. It's just weird they took all of the rest of the standard group rules, I wish they used the PFR rules. Especially since I have a major faction that is a mix of mummies, sineaters, necromancers, vampires, and all the undead (the black lantern corps).

Comment

• Originally posted by FallenEco View Post

Permission is mentioned nowhere in it, only a limitation of one per scene. Even if it was that wouldn't really make me feel any better about it as it still amounts to an advantage you practically hope never gets used due to pillar point size.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” noun: empathy the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Comment

• Personally, if I was going to add TN shifting to a ChronD game, rather than saying something like “you subtract 1 from the target number” or whatever, I’d call it 7-Success and add a description in right under the 9-Again in the rules chapter that says “On this roll, you also count 7s as successes.” Maybe also include a note that 6-Success includes 7-Success, if you want to modify TNs by 2.

That seems like it might be simpler to describe it?

(I apologize if that’s what they did. I haven’t gotten to that section yet.)

Comment

• The next update is out, and I'm really digging the Vestiges.

Comment

• This might be for the eventual errata thread, but I've always found it strange how social maneuvering rules outside of the core CoD book don't have the passage on forcing Doors open.

Comment

• Originally posted by Azahul View Post
                        A Memory 0 Arisen is arguably the perfect tool, becoming an automaton beholden to their Judge's wishes.
                        The whole purpose of mummies is to shape human society into forms that replicate Irem, so that their art falls in line with Iremite paradigms. They cannot do that as undead Terminators.

Neall Raemonn Price
                        Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

• Originally posted by Florin View Post
                          The next update is out, and I'm really digging the Vestiges.
                          Quite. I really dig how every vessel is linked to powerful memories now. They can be happy, or they can be tragedies, or nightmares (I don't think anyone who sees the Stalker's Knife as something that only has positive use as fuel is begrudged), but yeah. Sekhem is born from people and follows people. Also, love the fact an Eternal's soul relic always contains the memory of their death. Very lich-like, very Dorian Grey, while remaining firmly morally neutral (it is literally not their soul or life in there, just their delayed mortality, and it ages because of that).

Digging how Inheritors get Decree benefits, and how Cults work.

EDIT: When I get a chance, I'm starting up the Geistblatt (the Whispering Blade) from Reliquary as a Regia or Amulet (not sure which) that enhances combat skills and tactical ability at the cost of having the blade try to replace your Aspirations with it's own pacifistic agenda. What makes it so valuable is that the Geistblatt is intelligent enough to work with people who already want to end fights; people who can stand its distracting whispering and already wanted to end a war often don't notice the difference, and so it's got a situationally weaker curse for a vessel of its use.
                          Last edited by Leliel; 11-19-2019, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• Also as somebody who's obsessed with frogs I'm so happy to see a frog Relic

Comment

• Cults and tombs are cool. I can see fun potential in both.

Vestiges and relics are very cool. I like how its blatently called out that a) Sorcerers create relics and b) the Arisen specifically can't because of the bounds to a Judge. So yeah good stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Daigotsu Max View Post
                                Also as somebody who's obsessed with frogs I'm so happy to see a frog Relic
                                I, too, like frogs. And this Relic was one of the reasons I was so happy to keep the Psychokinesis Merit in the book. I can say that now.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
                                Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Book of Lasting Death, Pirates of Pugmire, They Came From Beyond the Grave!, TC Aeon: Mission Statements, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
                                Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

Working...
                                X