X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huh... Judges create Amkhata too...

Comment

• https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2697667

Halifax is revealed as another signature setting!

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• I can't help but think of starting a game in the modern day where the characters as a backstory undergo - either by choice or by pick - a ritual that basically enhances their soul, making them one of the Reborn. Not that they knew this at the exact moment. Especially since the moment the blinding light of the ritual faded they themselves incarnated in a body some 10k years ago, though they are thankfully together. Events happen that will see them gain some unique abilities and learn magic. One of their number, an NPC, will also suddenly disappear. Time and adventure will occur, and eventually they will die (from either violence or natural causes, at say the ripe old age of say 30, since its 10k in the past). They close their eyes and then when the open them again they are somewhere else a few centuries later in a different but very similar body. After a bit of time to figure things out they soon start to notice signs that they are being chased by something - which leads to the start of the appearance of some sort of big bad.

For multiple campaign arcs all they can unlock is the powers gained via Supernatural Merits. At some point - maybe when things are getting a bit stale and the players are starting to want MORE - something will occur, maybe when the group reach Sekhem 5, which will lead to a certain breakthrough which will cause them to gain Pillars, which will unlock the greater magics of Affinites and Utterances. (I could see allowing the players to move XP about, removing dots in supernatural merits for dots in Pillars and Affinities, though thematic connections still probably need to be maintained).

Anyway, it was just a thought I had while thinking on the mummy chapters.

Comment

• Do the Reborn go through their cycles of reincarnation nonlinearly like the Arisen do? I was under the impression that their reincarnations are linear in time.

Thematically, the Reborn and the Body Thieves still me as the Immortals most closely related to the Arisen, thematically (aside from the Purified, of course). The Reborn echo the “multiple lives” aspect of the Arisen (but without the continuity of having the same body between lives), while the Body Thieves are basically doing the same sort of thing that an Arisen does when it takes over the life of one of its cultists. There are differences, of course; but play up the similarities, and those particular kinds of immortals will feel less tacked on.

Eternals also have the bit that what makes them eternal is a mystical item: if it had a Curse associated with it, it would nearly fit into the array of mystical items that the Arisen deal with.

As such, the Blood Bathers strike me as the odd men out — though the cruelty inherent in their brand of immortality, and the fact that the metaphysical explanation for it involves extracting “life energy” from their victims, might suffice to link them to Mummy's metaphysics.

As for the others: while I'd like to see the Wardens as a Storyteller Character option (having a Warden guard your tomb over the millennia that you sleep would be immensely useful), I find myself having some difficulty tying them into Mummy's metaphysics: MtC doesn't really have anything in it about connecting to places. The Harvesters could be rephrased in terms of “harvesting Sekhem”, at least where the Arisen are concerned: they wouldn't be able to destroy an Arisen; but they could drain her Sekhem and literally cut short her Descent, sending her back to Duat until her next one. This would make them fearsome enemies, even if not really all that powerful.

As for the Purified: it's mentioned in Immortals that the first Purified came from ancient Egypt and China. Downplay or eliminate the “Egypt” part and say that the Purified have their origins in ancient China in the same way that the Arisen have their origins in the Nameless Empire, and the Purified become an example of the “non-egyptian mummies” that some sectors of the fans have clamored for. Which, in addition to how much space it takes to present them, is plenty of reason to keep them out of MtC's core book. But I'm glad they're at least acknowledged. I could easily see them being presented as an alternate take on MtC's metaphysics: Sekhem and Chi are conceptually very similar, and might arguably be thought of as different approaches to the same thing: it's all just “life force” in the end. Unlike the other Immortals who are generally thought of as fundamentally inferior to the Arisen, I could see the Arisen viewing the Purified as distant relatives.

Finally, the Patchwork People: back when Immortals first came out, I got a strong “Promethean” vibe from them, almost as if their artificial hearts had a spark of Azoth in it keeping them alive. These days, I'd be more inclined to associate them with Deviant. Either way, they're not really a MtC thing. To be fair, I also tend to think of Blood Bathers as more of a Vampire thing than a Mummy thing, and would tend to prefer that their 2e update take place somewhere in that line than in Mummy. But that's just me.

Comment

• On the Reborn, the standard is that the lives they experience is linear. BUT, and this is a really cool line, there is a sentence which says some myths exist to indicate some masters of the Reborn seem to be able to choose to send their 'souls' backward or forward in time. This, as far as I read it, is more an adventure seed and storytelling possibility then an actual rule. So the way I see it the standard is linear but the potential for non-linear existence is possible, if a ST wants to allow it.

On the Purified, I really like your stance. The idea that Sekhem and Chi are basically alternate names for Lifeforce Energy is really cool to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
              Do the Reborn go through their cycles of reincarnation nonlinearly like the Arisen do? I was under the impression that their reincarnations are linear in time.
              Some of them do: "Rarer still are the Reborn who claim they can send their consciousness forward or backward in time, controlling when they next emerge into the world. They'd have interesting notes to compare with the Deathless on living lives out of order, if the enmity between them weren't so great."

Resident Lore-Hound
              Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                On the Purified, I really like your stance. The idea that Sekhem and Chi are basically alternate names for Lifeforce Energy is really cool to me.
                I wouldn't say that they are; only that they might be. That way, those like you can say that they are without contradicting the published material; while those like ArcaneArts can say that they aren't, also without contacting the published material.

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                Some of them do: "Rarer still are the Reborn who claim they can send their consciousness forward or backward in time, controlling when they next emerge into the world. They'd have interesting notes to compare with the Deathless on living lives out of order, if the enmity between them weren't so great."
                Okay. In that regard, I could see the Reborn having something akin to a Sorcery Rite that lets them choose: those who know the Rite can access nonlinear time; those who don't, can't. In my games, I might even allow a temporary usage of it before death: conduct the ritual (which I imagine would involve items and symbolic representations emblematic of the time period you want to visit), and you enter a slumber during which your soul trades times with another of your incarnations, Quantum Leap-style.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                  Eternals also have the bit that what makes them eternal is a mystical item: if it had a Curse associated with it, it would nearly fit into the array of mystical items that the Arisen deal with.
                  It is actually the case that these items are Relics and work like them, save that their Powers and Curse ares centered on and suited to their creator. Eternal Relics are described as such in Chapter 4.

Comment

• Originally posted by YeOfLittleFaith View Post

It is actually the case that these items are Relics and work like them, save that their Powers and Curse ares centered on and suited to their creator. Eternal Relics are described as such in Chapter 4.
                    Given their inspiration, I'm surprised that the Eternals are just as likely to die from mortal causes as the Reborn. Even the Tenacious Eternity merit only adds Durability to their Relic; no mention of any Dorian Grey 'push fatal injuries into the painting' tricks for all their claims of phylacteries.

Edit: Also where did Shades come from? Not bashing anything in the manuscript but the first hint of them is in the Antagonist chapter. Are they the 'other' souls we encounter in Duat? I know we won't see the fiends until we get the storytelling chapter...
                    Last edited by FallenEco; 11-30-2019, 12:10 AM.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• So I was wondering something, can other immortals have Cults dedicated to them. Could a Reborn have a cult? Or are Cults in a mechanical sense something strictly mummy.

I was also thinking of some of my issues with the way the immortals in said chapter are organized, and I wish the template section had the same character creation rules format as say the Psiads or Superiors from Trinity. Yes, I know they are two gamelines but the format of templates are roughly the equivalent, as is the nature of character creation. Having the template be organized thusly allows for a much easier flow on character creation.

So I do understand that this is a holiday weekend for those in America, but I do hope that the writers and developers are reading this and thinking about what we are saying when it comes to the immortals stuff. Especially because what there is is really freaken cool, it just needs some clarification and editing to be made pretty perfect.

---

Oh, I just noticed something.

Gift of Years merit says "dot of Sekhem".

Endless Potency merit says "point of Sekhem".

Now I know in some ways this is being nitpicky but at the same time in CoD rules there is a difference between a DOT of something and a POINT of something. The former is a permanent growth and the later is sort of an energy that can be used but recharges. This is really important in Sekhem as there are no Sekhem points.

As a personal thought I could see having it so the lesser immortals have Sekhem dots and Sekhem points, with the later gained by experience and the former coming with some sort of recharge. As they can go up to Sekhem 5, they can't have more than 5 points at one time, and that is only for the greatest of immortals.

Then we have the Arisen, beings so potent that their understanding of Sekhem is deep enough that they realize its fivefold, and thus instead of them having Sekhem points they have instead Pillars, in both dot and point format.

Same energy, but different understandings.
                      Last edited by LordHeru; 11-30-2019, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FallenEco View Post

Given their inspiration, I'm surprised that the Eternals are just as likely to die from mortal causes as the Reborn. Even the Tenacious Eternity merit only adds Durability to their Relic; no mention of any Dorian Grey 'push fatal injuries into the painting' tricks for all their claims of phylacteries.

Edit: Also where did Shades come from? Not bashing anything in the manuscript but the first hint of them is in the Antagonist chapter. Are they the 'other' souls we encounter in Duat? I know we won't see the fiends until we get the storytelling chapter...
                        That’s where the shades are, too. When I put in the ephemeral rules, I slipped some in for shades as well while I was at it.
                        Edit: And the Eternals literally can’t die unless their anchor is destroyed. The preview says they can’t be killed.
                        Last edited by White Oak Dragon; 11-30-2019, 12:27 AM.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
                        Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Book of Lasting Death, Pirates of Pugmire, They Came From Beyond the Grave!, TC Aeon: Mission Statements, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
                        Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

• Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post

That’s where the shades are, too. When I put in the ephemeral rules, I slipped some in for shades as well while I was at it.
                          Edit: And the Eternals literally can’t die unless their anchor is destroyed. The preview says they can’t be killed.
                          I think it should be made clear that eventually they will heal completely from even the most crippling injury as well, because yeah shotting an Eternal in the head won't kill them, but it would leave them brain damaged and if you cut off an eternals legs and cut up their eyes, it doesn't kill them, but without Asiren support, they also don't regenerate their body parts and they stay maimed for eternity and I don't think that is what you intended. Just add something like "can never been be killed and always makes a full recovery" would solve that. Even Eternals that don't have a pillar invested in them should make full recoveries from any injury as long as their relic is in good shape, even if they still only heal at a human rate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deinos View Post

Some Judges will likely give a damn (ones against crimes against the sacred and slaughter for example), but the idea that the Judges are blanket against it is a boring 1eism. Like, it even mentions that both Arisen and Judges call upon them.

Personally, I'm bored by the fact that an eldritch abomination that bleeds scorpions and shatters the mind of mortals has been downgraded to an occult pokemon statted up with the boilerplate Rank/Essence/Bane/Ban chart that every other immaterial being and their dog just has to have in 2nd edition. More and more I'm convinced that I'll just be mining 2nd edition for any good ideas I can convert back to 1st edition (you know, the good edition) and leave the downgraded setting for the rest of you.

Comment

• I would like to say that the notion behind Sekhem Incantations is a very good and potentially sad set of hooks for dealing with a benbenet — drawing on the fear and shame of an avatar's mortal core to deny it some of its potency feels like a nice means of running the gamut of do-we-feel-good-about-doing-this for manifestations ranging from sorcerous bastards with a cutththroat eye for power to well-meaning people driven into a dark place by a bad situation and the attention of a primordial demon-god. It's definitely the sort of thing that suggests the Arisen feel some ways about these encounters when they remember them.

Resident Lore-Hound
                              Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
                                Dorian Grey's portrait ages in his place and takes on the consequences of his sins (i.e. the effects of drug use). The whole transferring actual injuries comes from much later adaptations.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                                Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                                Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
                                X