Mummy: the Curse 2e Kickstarter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
    I am tired and may have missed it. Please clarify, as it sounds interesting.
    Mummy's metaphor of choice for the flow of time is an ocean, and it characterizes deathly Twilight as very loosely desert-themed.

Geist's presentation of the Underworld says that ghosts are not so much pulled there as blown in by a difference in pressure, which happens to be accompanied by a burst of "water" no matter how dry the living world is on the other side of the Gate.

Demon specifies that entering the Underworld from a splinter timeline and leaving through a different Gate (or the same Gate after it's closed and reopened) returns you to the main flow of history even though ghosts ostensibly still enter the Underworld from splinters in the normal fashion.

And Mummy's alternate currents may not necessarily have anything to do with death, but they are attached to Anchors…

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Leliel View Post

And therein lies the problem. A geist is not a Shadow. A geist is fundamentally loyal to their partner unless something has gone drastically wrong. A geist does not need another player, just "my geist feels that", and that's it.

When you are designing a Trial of Duat, you are designing something that's fundamentally meant to hurt the person it is focused on; I would argue it's entirely thematic for a Trial to be made fundamentally impossible because a Judge was an ass that day. But really, if a player is designing a Trial that seems geared towards bullying the other player, that's when the ST needs to intervene; the issue is not the concept of the Trial, the issue is that it's being used as a tool of That Guy; That Guy will use any tool to make everyone else as miserable as he is.

Really, in my experience, it's the exact opposite problem, and design things too easy; that's part of why there's a sidebar about entering Duat as a team.
      A Geist is not fundamentally loyal, it can be downright exploitative and treasonous if it doesn’t get its way, and can be incredibly unreliable or abusive if it thinks doing such things will get the human to do the things it needs to get done.

And that’s the fine line, a line I do not trust to other players if I can help it. If you like it that’s great, let them do it.. but I will do things the old fashioned, safe way of paying attention to what the players characters are like before designing the trial

I mean if the book needs to explain the importance of a Trigger Card.. well that’s all you really need to know about how risky this can get.

Comment

• Korogra I make sure to explain the importance of a Trigger Card when I run D&D for people. Because someday, someone might need it. I would hardly consider a basic eurofantsy setting to be that dangerous, but you never know.

You are obviously more in touch with how your group will use the Trials and i'm not going to tell you how to play your game. I just ask that you consider them in the spirit they were written.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• "Some Affinities have effects requiring the expenditure of Willpower points to activate; these magics require a little more focus and intent on the part of the Arisen. A mummy can spend any number of Willpower points on activating Affinities each turn without counting towards the usual one Willpower point per turn limitation."

Seriously? Of the five games that uses the new WP text, Mummy is the first one that didn't incorrectly say it was per turn instead of per action in its Kickstarter manuscript, but still manages to include references to that incorrect rule.

Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• I think this may be the first Kickstarter I've been involved in where it looks like we're not going to get through most of the planned Stretch Goals: we'll probably get the second part of the supplement, but at this point the Ka, Ren, and Sheut parts haven't even been posted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
              I think this may be the first Kickstarter I've been involved in where it looks like we're not going to get through most of the planned Stretch Goals: we'll probably get the second part of the supplement, but at this point the Ka, Ren, and Sheut parts haven't even been posted.
              Yeah, it really saddens me to see that. I assume that one of those chapter would have been an expansion for Immortals, such as the Purified and Visitors, and who knows what plans they had for the other two chapters. Oh well.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• Let me caution that the Kickstarter isn't over quite yet; it's still possible (though admittedly unlikely) that a combination of a last-day surge and a tight spacing of the remaining planned Stretch Goals might still get them all out there and possibly even met. But while I'd be happy that they got satisfied, it would also feel a bit like cheating.

Comment

• In some ways I can understand why this didn't get hit out of the ballpark. I mean Mummy the Curse is a niche game and not to everyone's interest. I do think that in time people who might not have liked some of the elements of 1e might look at 2e and find they like this new version. This very much includes the traditional book structure as compared to the the way they wrote 1e.

I admit that besides the Sekhem going 10 to 1 this game has many things I do like in it, so while I was disappointed and yet still supported 1e, I find myself looking at 2e with much enjoyment.

Comment

Korogra I make sure to explain the importance of a Trigger Card when I run D&D for people. Because someday, someone might need it. I would hardly consider a basic eurofantsy setting to be that dangerous, but you never know.

You are obviously more in touch with how your group will use the Trials and i'm not going to tell you how to play your game. I just ask that you consider them in the spirit they were written.
                    Let me spare you some pain and point out that Korogra despises the idea of the trigger card outright, belittles those who defend it, and believes that any attitude less than assumed antagonism between game master and players is begging for trouble.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

• The previews are filled with cool concepts and all, but I'm not sold on actually playing it. It seems to me that in order to experience the cool stuff (multiple Descents, nonlinear time, the Trials of Duat, reaching high Memory, actually having your cults do meaningful stuff and not just be your alarm clock) you're going to have to play a relatively long campaign, but in doing so you also invite the headache of trying to coordinate all of that.
                      If someone could convince me otherwise before the KS ends, that'd be great because right now I'm probably going to suggest to my group that we don't back it. I think that'd be the very first time we don't back a CofD KS aside from Contagion Chronicle.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Call me glass half full but I am excited we're going to probably hit our 62k goal.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” noun: empathy the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                          The previews are filled with cool concepts and all, but I'm not sold on actually playing it. It seems to me that in order to experience the cool stuff (multiple Descents, nonlinear time, the Trials of Duat, reaching high Memory, actually having your cults do meaningful stuff and not just be your alarm clock) you're going to have to play a relatively long campaign, but in doing so you also invite the headache of trying to coordinate all of that.
                          If someone could convince me otherwise before the KS ends, that'd be great because right now I'm probably going to suggest to my group that we don't back it. I think that'd be the very first time we don't back a CofD KS aside from Contagion Chronicle.
                          1. Nonlinear time can also be covered by flashback vignette scenes, or incorporating other Arisen operating on a different timeflow (who may remember you even if you’ve never met.

2. Your game can start in one Descent and bridge to another, with some focus on the Trials and adjusting to a the next Descent. Just focus on one transition rather than a long campaign.

3. The cult can do other things by being present as player characters, antagonists, dependents, or faithful plot devices of the death god. While you’re asleep, they’re you in the living world for all intents and purposes. You could even do a game without an Arisen except as a slumbering plot device for the cult member PCs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                            The previews are filled with cool concepts and all, but I'm not sold on actually playing it. It seems to me that in order to experience the cool stuff (multiple Descents, nonlinear time, the Trials of Duat, reaching high Memory, actually having your cults do meaningful stuff and not just be your alarm clock) you're going to have to play a relatively long campaign, but in doing so you also invite the headache of trying to coordinate all of that.
                            How long of a campaign are you hoping to play? There are certainly ways to incorporate many aspects into shorter games.
                            For example: Start your game off with a Descent already in progress, with whatever purpose for them to have been awakened you like (or even have it already accomplished). With a lower starting Sekhem, it’s easier to draw (or violently force) the characters into Duat after giving them a chance to get a feel for the characters. Give them a chance for a great victory or defeat, then give them their Trials after the current Descent. Let them awaken in the past for the next one, now possessing all their mighty powers and ready to cause trouble for whatever poor bastards run afoul of them. If it’s a defeat they experienced, you can even connect it to the ‘future’ by giving them the opportunity to shift the odds in their favor. Hell, you could even run an intense game for the characters, only to reveal that they’ve been enduring their Trials the whole time. Those are just a couple thoughts off the top of my head.

Jason Ross Inczauskis, Freelance Writer
                            Projects: Dark Eras 2, Mummy: The Curse 2e, Book of Lasting Death, Pirates of Pugmire, They Came From Beyond the Grave!, TC Aeon: Mission Statements, TC In Media Res, DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action, C20 Anthology of Dreams
                            Masculine pronouns preferred.

Comment

• Plus one could always have a session or two at starting experience levels before having a small break where you give the players some agreed upon amount of experience to represent various descents and growth periods off screen before coming back to the game at a bit higher level.

Additionally, nothing says that one has to have Descent Rolls or Pillar Trials every single time. Sometimes you can simply say "your Sekhem has gone to zero and you are now in the sleep of death" or even more simply "Your mummies have died." After that you can say, "You open your eyes from a natural sleep in the next descent three days after awakening, your Sekhem is 8 and your peace is disturbed by the knocking at the doors."

But yeah, certain elements can be covered at certain times but then ignored for a while if it is not fun again. This most especially includes things in Duat and also various alternate Descent points. I mean we got the interesting ideas of a dark future and also a long ago pre or early-Irem pasts, and both could totally lead to interesting campaign potentials.

----

I have to say the idea of having the first Descent be in say 2012 or 2020 interests me quite a lot, especially if this modern life is considered a core past. Then having the next descent being in the far future could lead to the beginning of seeing a dark plot that needs to be solved. Then other descents could happen all around time effecting things. But also imagine having a Descent in January 2012, dying say by March, and then after a few descents awakening in May 2012. Its like "woah, why is it only two months after the last time I was awake at this point."

Which, to me, means campaign twists and turns and interesting plot seeds.

Comment

Korogra I make sure to explain the importance of a Trigger Card when I run D&D for people. Because someday, someone might need it. I would hardly consider a basic eurofantsy setting to be that dangerous, but you never know.

Oh I know, but these days people tend to get upset over things that seem trivial or get offended by what a player might say or do in character even if it is obviously not something the player actually would ever do

And I will, no need to worry about that. I’ve played with this group for nearly a decade, I’ve gotten pretty good at judging what is and isn’t safe to include in a game.

Comment

Working...
                                X